PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense but something doesn’t add up. You said you RMA’d on November 1st and a new unit was being sent you. And then two days later you said you had it back and the vendor said it wasn’t a defective unit and they sent original back. Why don’t you start an RMA with ASUS? There is no way this isn’t a faulty unit, if those videos are accurate.
Alright let me do a timeline:
  1. Suspected a faulty device and informed my vendor + ASUS
  2. ASUS told me that, according to my videos and description of the problem: It's a faulty unit and I have to return it to the vendor (that's how it works in my country)
  3. I told my vendor (ASUS Certified something) that ASUS told me that the device was defective
  4. Vendor accepted the RMA (and promised me a new device if they can confirm the problem) and I sent it back
  5. They checked the device, said there is nothing wrong with it, and sent my device back
  6. I informed ASUS of the vendors decision and I'm now awaiting final feedback

2. ASUS told me that, according to my videos and description of the problem: It's a faulty unit and I have to return it to the vendor (that's how it works in my country)
  3. I told my vendor (ASUS Certified something) that ASUS told me that the device was defective
  4. Vendor accepted the RMA and I sent it back
  5. They checked the device, said there is nothing wrong with it, and sent my device back
Keep fighting. Trust me, my monitor does not look like that in games. Only time I ever see a hint of yellow is in that test hubba did. And I never notice FALD glow in games (with the exception of warzone around crosshairs inside buildings). I just don’t notice it, ever and I’m on setting 3. The pros of this monitor so far outweigh the negatives in my opinion. Hope you can get another unit.

Reactions: jt39
like this
Keep fighting. Trust me, my monitor does not look like that in games. Only time I ever see a hint of yellow is in that test hubba did. And I never notice FALD glow in games (with the exception of warzone around crosshairs inside buildings). I just don’t notice it, ever and I’m on setting 3. The pros of this monitor so far outweigh the negatives in my opinion. Hope you can get another unit.
Could you do me a favour and maybe make a vid of a nightsky with skies or something similiar like I did? Just so I have a reference what I can hope for, when looking at the worst case screnario. That would awesome.

Could you do me a favour and maybe make a vid of a nightsky with skies or something similiar like I did? Just so I have a reference what I can hope for, when looking at the worst case screnario. That would awesome.
Sorry if it's been mentioned but what game were you using when you made those videos?

4. Vendor accepted the RMA (and promised me a new device if they can confirm the problem) and I sent it back
Why not just return the monitor and be done with it. It's clearly not worth the trouble IMO. But maybe your patience level is way higher than mine in terms of dealing with vendors and manufacturers. I would have been get my money back and be done with it.

Why not just return the monitor and be done with it. It's clearly not worth the trouble IMO. But maybe your patience level is way higher than mine in terms of dealing with vendors and manufacturers. I would have been get my money back and be done with it.
Unless the manufacturer does not decide it's a faulty device there is nothing I can do.

Why? If they can't get their act together the first time, why bother further. Too many consumers accept shitty QC from monitor manufacturers. That's how they continue to get away with releasing products that hit or miss from one consumer to the next. I can think of no other tech product where shitty QC would be accepted by most.

I can when I’m home. Had to bring my daughter back to college after surgery. Be home tomorrow likely. But my iPhone makes the videos look washed and not a good representation of what it looks like in person.

Why? If they can't get their act together the first time, why bother further. Too many consumers accept shitty QC from monitor manufacturers. That's how they continue to get away with releasing products that hit or miss from one consumer to the next. I can think of no other tech product where shitty QC would be accepted by most.
Well obviously he wants to keep it if he is willing to RMA it and is in process of working with ASUS. This monitor it he gets a good one is amazing. Is it perfect? No, but it’s the best display I’ve ever played on.

Probably because with the reseller insisting nothing is wrong, if he returns it to them they'll tell him to "Eat a big fat restocking fee."

Well obviously he wants to keep it if he is willing to RMA it and is in process of working with ASUS. This monitor it he gets a good one is amazing. Is it perfect? No, but it’s the best display I’ve ever played on.
If I could I would return it, but because of local regulations I can't.

If you see the glow around crosshairs you will see it on starry skyes and the like, there is no way around it.
You might not be sensitive to it, you might have bias lights behind your monitor making it less noticable, you might not be playing games where these scenarios have come up yet, etc.
But I would caution against telling jt39 that his monitor is defective unless you cannot replicate the blooming in the exact scenario he presented and ideally produce some videos to help guide him on what he should be seeing instead of what he is seeing.
Otherwise you might be sending him off to a long and arduous wild goose chase for a perfect panel that somehow escaped the very design of this monitor.

I'm still skeptical on if he even owns one. His 2 day RMA story and him repeatedly asking for videos of the absolute worst case scenario.

Sounds like he's trying to bait people.

If you see the glow around crosshairs you will see it on starry skyes and the like, there is no way around it.
You might not be sensitive to it, you might have bias lights behind your monitor making it less noticable, you might not be playing games where these scenarios have come up yet, etc.
But I would caution against telling jt39 that his monitor is defective unless you cannot replicate the blooming in the exact scenario he presented and ideally produce some videos to help guide him on what he should be seeing instead of what he is seeing.
Otherwise you might be sending him off to a long and arduous wild goose chase for a perfect panel that somehow escaped the very design of this monitor.
No lights behind my monitor, and I said I would take some videos but on a phone they are practically useless. And the yellow that he sees, I have never seen, except in that test And I only see the fald blooming on crosshairs “inside” buildings. I just think many on this forum go looking for these scenarios and they are hardly noticeable in most applications. In his case, they are completely noticeable and my monitor never looks like that and I play a lot of games with dark night time skies and bright lights around them (Far Cry 6, BF1, etc). Just my two cents, but something doesn’t look right with his monitor.

I tried Sea of Thieves to see what mine looks like and I had a similar experience. While mine was not as bad in person as the posted videos show that game seems to be a worst case scenario for this monitor. The cell shaded bright small objects against greyish night sky and dark blue water is causing some pretty bad halos at times. I also had the yellow glow pop up a couple times as well.

I generally like HDR gaming on this monitor but the little bit I tried Sea of Thieves it was a pretty poor experience with the FALD enabled. Definitely a worse case scenario sort of example for the limitations of fald tech.

I'm still skeptical on if he even owns one. His 2 day RMA story and him repeatedly asking for videos of the absolute worst case scenario.

I even made a video just for you to prove you wrong :D Have you not seen it haha (look at the top right note)

I tried Sea of Thieves to see what mine looks like and I had a similar experience. While mine was not as bad in person as the posted videos show that game seems to be a worst case scenario for this monitor. The cell shaded bright small objects against greyish night sky and dark blue water is causing some pretty bad halos at times. I also had the yellow glow pop up a couple times as well.

I generally like HDR gaming on this monitor but the little bit I tried Sea of Thieves it was a pretty poor experience with the FALD enabled.
Good to know. I play it a lot, so maybe that's why it bothers me so much. Thank you for your response. Maybe I'm just playing the "wrong" games.

Last edited:

I generally like HDR gaming on this monitor but the little bit I tried Sea of Thieves it was a pretty poor experience with the FALD enabled.
And I’m not buying or playing a game to reproduce the exact same scenario…

I’ll stand by original post that videos, especially on phones make the problem look way worse than it is in real life scenarios. Maybe I have a bias like Hubba said, but I know what my eyes are telling my brain and what they are telling me is the games I play looking fantastic

And I’m not buying or playing a game to reproduce the exact same scenario…

I’ll stand by original post that videos, especially on phones make the problem look way worse than it is in real life scenarios. Maybe I have a bias like Hubba said, but I know what my eyes are telling my brain and what they are telling me is the games I play looking fantastic
I get your point, but I can vouch that the videos are similar to what I experience in real life. It simply looks like that, I don't know what else to say.

I get your point, but I can vouch that the videos are similar to what I experience in real life. It simply looks like that, I don't know what else to say.
Ya man your eyes see what your eyes see. Completely happy with my purchase, but I’m a glass half full type of guy so I guess I’m easily pleased compared to most on this forum. Best monitor I’ve owned I’ve had a Pg35vq, pg27uq, Alienware aw3418dw. This thing blows them all away

Reactions: jt39
like this
Ya man your eyes see what your eyes see. Completely happy with my purchase, but I’m a glass half full type of guy so I guess I’m easily pleased compared to most on this forum. Best monitor I’ve owned I’ve had a Pg35vq, pg27uq, Alienware aw3418dw. This thing blows them all away
this
there isn't a perfect monitor for now, but miniled and more zones on ips with great colour gamut are the right way.

As Hypez said these are worse case scenarios and tolerance will vary from person to person.
I RMA'd mine and got a unit that was worse.
So I returned it and kept the original unit because after some research I was convinced that these were design issues and not isolated manufacturing errors.
And that, despite those issues, this was still the best option in an overall crappy monitor market.
You can go through a dozen RMAs and you might get a unit that will look slightly better because its gamma is slightly more accurate or its brightness is slightly lower or whatever but you will not escape the core issues as far as I can tell.

So don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the monitor and I am still genuinely amazed by the picture quality on a daily basis.
But to get there I had to accept that its FALD operates in a way that allows it to be amazing in the vast majority of scenarios but in a small percentage of worse case scenarios the FALD makes this panel look worse than a monitor of a tenth of its price.
In those scenarios you are better off switching the FALD off or playing on an OLED TV or whatever.
You can either come to terms with its limitations and keep it (unless you have an actual defect like pressure damage, clusters of stuck pixels, etc. in which case by all means RMA) or you can just return it for a refund.
But in any event don't waste your time or torment yourself thinking that there might be other options. You cannot RMA wasted time and frustration.

I know some people have a mental thing and can't get over 60hz, but if you guys really want an amazing monitor that solves ALL these problems EXCEPT 120hz, you should really look at the photos/videos I posted of the 32EP950.

I came from the PG27UQ. Outside of edge cases with REALLY bright specular highlights, the infinite contrast and perfect blacks REALLY stand out in a way even the FALD monitors can't. Plus (obviously) there are zero issues with bloom, halo, etc.

I know some people have a mental thing and can't get over 60hz, but if you guys really want an amazing monitor that solves ALL these problems EXCEPT 120hz, you should really look at the photos/videos I posted of the 32EP950.

I came from the PG27UQ. Outside of edge cases with REALLY bright specular highlights, the infinite contrast and perfect blacks REALLY stand out in a way even the FALD monitors can't. Plus (obviously) there are zero issues with bloom, halo, etc.
Too rich for my blood. And if I'm downsizing (I have a 43" currently) , it sure needs to be at least 120hz. I have seen it in person and it's indeed a great monitor outside of gaming.

You guys are funny. What exactly does he have to gain by LYING to you all about his monitor? "Bait" people? Bait people into what exactly.
You'd be surprised at the kind of trolling people will engage in. Questioning the outcome is pointless, but undoubtedly his story is fishy and his behavior is off to me.

OLED makes it a non-starter and a complete downgrade. That monitor has a peak brightness of 250 nits which is frankly a joke. Even HDR at 1000 nits is nothing like HDR at 1600 nits.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-miniled-is-the-future-of-big-displays

You'd be surprised at the kind of trolling people will engage in. Questioning the outcome is pointless, but undoubtedly his story is fishy and his behavior is off to me.
Buying a 3,5k monitor, find flaws and then trolling forums. Yeah totally...
Listen I get that you may love it, it's ok. I don't want to ruin your experience or talk something bad only because I have a problem with it. I'm ranting, sure, but not with the intention for everybody to agree with me. It's my experience and my opinion, nothing more. I don't get what you find fishy about my experience tbh. Is it so crazy?
OLED makes it a non-starter and a complete downgrade. That monitor has a peak brightness of 250 nits which is frankly a joke. Even HDR at 1000 nits is nothing like HDR at 1600 nits.

My thoughts too.
Why can’t you say what country you are from? Is it against National laws to own this monitor or something? Ha
Because of privacy, also it does not really matter.
Because you can not?
No, because you are too new in the forum. Check the FAQ or smth.

Buying a 3,5k monitor, find flaws and then trolling forums. Yeah totally...
Listen I get that you may love it, it's ok. I don't want to ruin your experience or talk something bad only because I have a problem with it. I'm ranting, sure, but not with the intention for everybody to agree with me. It's my experience and my opinion, nothing more. I don't get what you find fishy about my experience tbh. Is it so crazy?

My thoughts too.

Because of privacy, also it does not really matter.

No, because you are too new in the forum. Check the FAQ or smth.
I think it matters, just like you couldn’t say what distributor you bought it from. If I were reading these forums I would avoid buying from that distributor with all the issues you’ve had. And I’m not sure saying what country you’re from really invades privacy, and I work in healthcare

Spending that kinda money just to troll a monitor forum that gets how much traffic these days? Woulda been better off trying to troll on Reddit if that was his intention. That's just his own user experience is all.

Give the man a break. Just because you don't agree with him doesn't make his opinion invalid. I want to hear about all sides of experience, good and bad.

There's too many people that take criticism of a product they bought to be assault against their personality or judgement. It's not so please don't take it that way.

This is completely false. The peak brightness is around 720 nits in HDR mode. For OLED, this is considered very good for HDR. I have this monitor and the PG27UQ. Apart from bright specular highlights (or full screen 1000 nit flashes), side by side, they are extremely difficult to tell apart in brightness in the vast majority of scenes.

HDTV Test on YouTube professionally measured the nits of the 32EP950. Watch his review of it.

This is completely false. The peak brightness is around 720 nits in HDR mode. For OLED, this is considered very good for HDR. I have this monitor and the PG27UQ. Apart from bright specular highlights (or full screen 1000 nit flashes), side by side, they are extremely difficult to tell apart in brightness in the vast majority of scenes.

HDTV Test on YouTube professionally measured the nits of the 32EP950. Watch his review of it.
Manufacturer says 250 nits, but even 720 nits at peak (which I'm sure it can't sustain for longer than a second) is terrible for anyone looking for a good HDR experience. It's just dim and not impressive at all. It lacks the wow factor and the realism.

Given that the people in this thread are buying the PG32UQX for the HDR capabiltiies, it's a poor recommendation.

And that's just your opinion (and you do not own that OLED monitor either, funny how that works). FALD limitations with so few zones are extremely severe and will turn many people off. I personally think that FALD looks ridiculously and annoyingly bad as of today, with the content I consume and in my current dark room.

You can call OLED a sidegrade though, because the tech has limitations too, so the weight of the pros and cons will vary from user to user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back