Im planning on upgrading my current rig cpu wise. I currently have a Pentium D and Im limited to the Core 2 duo and quad. I do play games but I am not an overclocker. and I am looking to get the most bang for my buck. What cpu should I move to?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Im planning on upgrading my current rig cpu wise. I currently have a Pentium D and Im limited to the Core 2 duo and quad. I do play games but I am not an overclocker. and I am looking to get the most bang for my buck. What cpu should I move to?
At this point you're better off buying the CPU and RAM used.
Well actually that is the plan. Just wondering since Ill be mainly playing games and watching HD movies where I should head CPU wise.
Would you be happy going from 2.8GHz to 3.33GHz (E6800)? The E5500 is worth around $40-$50 on ebay. The faster FSB speed helps. I find it hard to justify the price premiums on the higher speed Core 2 Duos.
I'm not really seeing many worthwhile upgrades on that board. Microcenter has the Q9300 for $100.
Have you considered replacing the board and CPU? You could get an Athlon II X4 3GHz and Gigabyte AMD 740 AM2+ board from newegg for around $150. Don't know if you have a CPU preference.
It varies. A fast 2 core chip should be more than adequate for most uses. Maybe upgrade it with another 2GB and the E6800 before giving her the system?How many cores are most games and applications using???
Newer games are starting to need quads, I cannot recommend buying a dual core for gaming at this point in time. Bad Company 2 and Black Ops are pretty good examples of this.
At this point you're better off buying the CPU and RAM used. This is because new Core 2 processors now cost much more money than is justified by their performance. In fact, I wouldn't pay more than $80 or so for a Core 2 Duo or more than about $125 for a Core 2 Quad. And 4GB worth of DDR2 memory now costs at least $20 more than an equal amount of DDR3 memory that newer systems require.
So your saying that I could jump from my e5500 to a E6800 and get better preformance?
Or do you mean go from a D to a C2d?
Newer games are starting to need quads, I cannot recommend buying a dual core for gaming at this point in time. Bad Company 2 and Black Ops are pretty good examples of this.