• Piracy

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • Cost

Votes: 45 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 71 21.8%

• Total voters
I agree with the above quoted.

Consoles come out with a big bang and some new fancy tech, then after a year of being out high end PC's have screamed past them in terms of technology, buy the time the consoles are into their 2nd year and the average high end PC is 2x more powerful they've become obsolete and remain as such for at least another 2 years meanwhile the PC is still evolving.

Lets see people talk about PC gaming being dead when Crysis hits, see what the console !!!!!!s have to say when all of their "high end" games are made to look like pacman.

This is a cycle, it will happen again in 3-4 years when the next consoles are nearing final production stages.

It's not really just piracy. There's too many medium today to compete with. You have consoles up the ass. Handhelds. Mobile phones, etc.

also note that at the beginning of every subsequent console generation since the first 3d-capable consoles, people decry the death of pc gaming due to how "advanced" and "state-of-the-art" their new lunchboxes. yet every year, pc gaming is still there. why is this? because the consoles are impressive for ~1 year, then their technology is obsolete, whereas pcs are evolving machines.

Apparantly better hardware is not stopping the decline.

Who cares about the hardware though if it's not going to be used?

What do I have to look forward to? Crysis and Alan Wake? Where as my little brother on his "inferior" 360 - which looks very nice on a hdtv - has a whole bunch of good games to look forward to.

The sad truth is:

PC: better hardware
Consoles: better games

Honestly though, if consoles did become mini gaming machines with a keyboard and mouse, along with games that can be modded (such as Oblivion for the PC) - I think I would be more happy overall.

What do I have to look forward to? Crysis and Alan Wake? Where as my little brother on his "inferior" 360 - which looks very nice on a hdtv - has a whole bunch of good games to look forward to.

are you implying that neither crysis or alan wake will be good?

Apparantly better hardware is not stopping the decline.

Who cares about the hardware though if it's not going to be used?

The sad truth is:

PC: better hardware
Consoles: better games

Honestly though, if consoles did become mini gaming machines with a keyboard and mouse, along with games that can be modded (such as Oblivion for the PC) - I think I would be more happy overall.

Software ALWAYS follows hardware, you cannot release a game like Crysis or Alan wake to a generation of gamers who do not have the hardware to run the games, we're talking about tripple A titles here designed from the ground up to use DX10.

Consoles: better games???

Yeah right, if you enjoy dumbed down gameplay, auto aim and rubbish online gameplay, rubbish games is what is keeping the PS3 on shelves across the globe.

Software ALWAYS follows hardware, you cannot release a game like Crysis or Alan wake to a generation of gamers who do not have the hardware to run the games, we're talking about tripple A titles here designed from the ground up to use DX10.

Consoles: better games???

Yeah right, if you enjoy dumbed down gameplay, auto aim and rubbish online gameplay, rubbish games is what is keeping the PS3 on shelves across the globe.

If you say so.... Mr. British.

And maybe you should look into this... because from what I hear PS3 should be able to use this with UT2K7 ... (I'll probably get UT2K7 on the PS3 because I don't have a $1G+ to build a new comp anytime soon.)

Why are americans always blaming other people.

Put the blame on YOURSELF. It's your fault! If its on the decline that means YOU'RE not buying the games! :D

If you say so.... Mr. British.

And maybe you should look into this... because from what I hear PS3 should be able to use this with UT2K7 ... (I'll probably get UT2K7 on the PS3 because I don't have a $1G+ to build a new comp anytime soon.)

Thats the most god awful thing I've seen in ages.

So what consoles can use mice, welcome to last century...the games are still dumbed down, look at cross developed games or ported games, like GTA SA which has auto aim/auto target for consoles but lets PC gamers aim freely allowing headshots etc, and games like thief 3 which ads things like behindview so all the console using gamers can look around corners.

Face it, console games are noobed up, everytime I see a massive white grenade icon in CoD2 flash on my screen It screems at me as a reminder that its there because it's left in after it got cross developed, same with the new spliter cell and it's HUD actually.

I'd happily drop (and do happily drop) 1G+ (and much more) on a PC because I play a lot of games, and the console business model makes their games more expensive, I buy enough games each year to make up the difference in the price of hardware + upgrades to keep the PC in a top notch condition with the latest hardware, its easier to get money out of people if you do it slowly, this whole consoles cheaper thing is only a valid argument for those who only buy a handful of games.

Reason for the pc gaming decline... I'm still waiting for Duke Nukem Forever!

Seriously, it can't be piracy. Since the Apple II games have been pirated. Games still sold. P2P - is only new technology; before that there were BBS's and Usenet.

Cost, maybe... I used to think it was hard to justify the purchase of a game that costs $50 new, but now I can afford one every now and then.

Maybe, the lack of of titles besides MMO's, RTS, and FPS. Well there's also a good amount of driving, sports, and flight sims available. Outside of a few titles, there's a lack of originality. Civ, Tetris, and Panzer General were all big sellers when they were released, they were unique; how-about Doom; everything tried be emulate Doom after it became successful.

Consoles... no. Consoles and PCs have co-existed for pretty much their entire lifespan.

Seriously, I'm going back to thinking it is the lack of originality causing the death of PC gaming. Dooms come out... everything must be like Doom, Warcraft appears... ditto. BF... ditto. EQ... ditto. Diablo... ditto. Everything is a copy of something else (with just a little bit extra). Release something popular and every other publisher has to jump on the bandwagon.

Thats the most god awful thing I've seen in ages.

So what consoles can use mice, welcome to last century...the games are still dumbed down, look at cross developed games or ported games, like GTA SA which has auto aim/auto target for consoles but lets PC gamers aim freely allowing headshots etc, and games like thief 3 which ads things like behindview so all the console using gamers can look around corners.

Face it, console games are noobed up, everytime I see a massive white grenade icon in CoD2 flash on my screen It screems at me as a reminder that its there because it's left in after it got cross developed, same with the new spliter cell and it's HUD actually.

I'd happily drop (and do happily drop) 1G+ (and much more) on a PC because I play a lot of games, and the console business model makes their games more expensive, I buy enough games each year to make up the difference in the price of hardware + upgrades to keep the PC in a top notch condition with the latest hardware, its easier to get money out of people if you do it slowly, this whole consoles cheaper thing is only a valid argument for those who only buy a handful of games.

Shows how much you have played the newest consoles on the market. FYI: Not all FPS games on the console use "auto-aim". Resistance came default with no sort of auto-aim. (if theres a feature for it, I havent looked for it). As for hit-boxes.... thats not just a PC feature... you can do more dmg to "mobs" in console games by shooting them in different places... Ever play Goldeneye for the N64? Thats nothing new.

What I linked to... thats just ONE product... but you realize what is being implemented into games? MOUSE AND KEYBOARD FOR CONSOLE. You don't have to use that gimmicky thing if you don’t want... My Logitech USB M&KB already work on the PS3 for web-browsing and any sort of typing.

What I was trying to say is that UT2K3 will allow M&KB support...

Also consider your examples (GTA:SA?).... these titles were released on last gen consoles.... We haven't even seen what GTA IV is going to do, or what sort of accessories will be able to be used with it. Theres different genre of games... and for you to call a game "noobed" down because its in 3rd person, your crazy. I never once thought Super Mario 64 or Zelda TP, GoW 1&2 "noobed" out games. Instead I find them enjoyable and worth while.

As for your comment about picking up a lot of games vs just a handful of games.... From what I've seen come out in 2007 so far for the PC... looks nothing more than a handful :rolleyes:

Not to mention any retailer selling video games usually has a pretty large console section/floor space compared to the PC section... thats got to say something.

I'll say it again:

PC games have been pirated from day one so I'd rule that one out right away.

I'll say it again:

PC games have been pirated from day one so I'd rule that one out right away.

Now that gaming is truly big business some developers could be less willing to experiment with PC games due to this fear, real or imagined. Consoles just have a lower percentage of pirated games so it's more of a financial guarantee.

I believe until we get figures from online content delivery we will not even truly know how much of a decline it is.

How many people got HL2 from Steam? I sure did, and all of my friends did as well. D2D must have a big market too. Somebody should find figures for this. Retail sales alone simply cannot be relied on anymore.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia Steam's revenue for 2005 was 70 million... though no citation was listed.

are you implying that neither crysis or alan wake will be good?

No I think they will great, however - it just doesn't compare to the lineup of games coming out on the consoles. 2 big titles the next year versus a multiple of that? Sure maybe because it is DX10. However, if these new engines do not attract developers to come out with some quality games in 2008, then I could see a lot of people leaving PC gaming when the new generation of consoles arrives in 2009 or 2010.

Anyone who thinks the PC has larger number of quality games compared to the consoles is in complete denial.

I think PC gaming will slowly fade to nothing more than a large number of MMOs (or MMORPGs) over the next 2 generations. By then consoles will have add-on keyboards and mice. Their online capabilities will be just as good as a computer's (some people may even be host dedicated servers for a game just like today's PC online games). Hell, I won't be surprised if MS actually throws an operating system on their next console like a basic XP as a gimmick just to make browsing of files, games, movies, email, and music easier.

Piracy is just a easy out for the development companies, just like it is for the music and movie industries. Piracy has always existed, now it is a little more accessable granted but its just easier to say 'well we are being hurt by piracy' rather than 'our product quality has declined considerably, we are no longer cutting edge and we simply arent producing what people want anymore, instead we are sticking to the same formula repeatedly as it is the safer option'. The sims collection for example in regard to games, the movie industry will sequal or prequal anything that made money the examples are to numerous to mention and these are all symptoms of a larger problem - Society is willing to accept it, in the fight between art and commerce gains, 'art is having its ass kicked'.

I believe that the rise of consoles along with the decline in quality of your generic PC has also caused a decrease in sales, something I havent read, whilst skimming this thread, is the social aspect of console gaming. When I have people over to play games I am perfectly happy to sit playing 360 in high def with a vast array of multiplayer games, its GFX are good enough for me even though I am well aware that the new gf8xxx would produce better detail but gaming is more than just detail for most, its being engadged that matters the most and currently in my mind consoles are far ahead in that aspect. I cant remember the last game for the PC I was excited about, the last one I preordered was Flight Sim X but that was more because I lost my FS2004 disc and noticed FSX was out in the next month.

The most played pc game in the world is solitare I read somewhere, I imagine in no short measure thats because it is free and readily available.

I have to say other. There have not been many new innovations in gaming in years. Aegia is cool and all, but I'm talking about genres. No one has yet to reinvent any genre in gaming...or better yet create a new genre altogether. I also miss the old genres of years past...shmups were great. So were platform shooters. Rail shooters were awesome too.

Don't get me wrong. I love FPS, RTS, and RPG games as much as the next guy.

No I think they will great, however - it just doesn't compare to the lineup of games coming out on the consoles. 2 big titles the next year versus a multiple of that? Sure maybe because it is DX10. However, if these new engines do not attract developers to come out with some quality games in 2008, then I could see a lot of people leaving PC gaming when the new generation of consoles arrives in 2009 or 2010.

Anyone who thinks the PC has larger number of quality games compared to the consoles is in complete denial.

this shows how little you've been following pc games. those are only 2 examples, and theyre hardly the only big games coming out. there's also bioshock, quake wars, hellgate london, ut2007, armed assault, left 4 dead, far cry 2 (crysis =/= far cry 2, for those who dont know), half life 2 episode 2, SPORE, trackmania united, tabula rasa, warhammer 40k online, i could go on.

anyone who thinks alan wake and crysis are the only big games coming out for pc is in, as you so eloquently put it, in complete denial. they are also quite possibly borderline insane.

PC gaming isn't dying.

Is this topic mandatory every 2 weeks around here ?

If anything is killing PC gaming its developers releasing buggy, untested software... However I'm betting the ignorant publishing companies have a lot to do with that. Someone said, and I quote,

" Games like the Sims, World of Warcraft and company sell so much because nearly anyone can pick a copy up, install it, and expect it to work. "

Yes, but why can't that be any other PC game? Nowadays, EA games can't mention a title they are working on, without scrutiny and mockery. ID software released Quake 4, and compared to the previous 3, it was a fucking joke. ( now its better tho :p ) Battlefield is still a buggy pile of dog feces, even after all this time and patches. You want to blame something for the decline of PC gaming?? Blame all this.

The majority will get frustrated and than eventually bored and when they know they can get a cheaper console and know the game they buy for it won't need a patch, lower the settings, upgrade the video card, edit the config etc etc... and tons of console games are fun. Gameplay > Graphics holds true.

However, more and more households, people and countries, on average own more computers, depend on their computers and hook more electronics up to computers nowadays, to say that gaming on computers is somehow declining. World of Warcraft is a goddamn record breaker and has integrated into pop culture and mainstream media already. If PC gaming was dying, the game with the most people playing it wouldn't be for computer.

Just in my circle of friends Consoles are overtaking PCs, which it has been a long time, since we were huge Half-Life 1 players.

The more we talk and get together to play games, all the fun games are on console, and when we talk about games, console games are what is mentioned.

Right now there is hardly anything coming out on the PC that I am excited about, yet there are 10+ titles I can't wait for coming out by the end of the year on the consoles. Battlefield 23203040 doesn't appeal to me at all anymore.

However MMORPGS are PC, just do to the multifunction of them.

Shows how much you have played the newest consoles on the market. FYI: Not all FPS games on the console use "auto-aim". Resistance came default with no sort of auto-aim. (if theres a feature for it, I havent looked for it). As for hit-boxes.... thats not just a PC feature... you can do more dmg to "mobs" in console games by shooting them in different places... Ever play Goldeneye for the N64? Thats nothing new.

I never said hitboxes didnt exist, I said that you can aim freely to hit them in the PC version instead of auto aim, my point still stands, ALL consoles games have design elements which severly dumb down the level of skill needed to play them, it's to draw in the console crowd who want a simple gaming experience.

What I linked to... thats just ONE product... but you realize what is being implemented into games? MOUSE AND KEYBOARD FOR CONSOLE. You don't have to use that gimmicky thing if you don’t want... My Logitech USB M&KB already work on the PS3 for web-browsing and any sort of typing.

Is this supposed to be impressive? yeah theres other products, so what, until a large number of games adapt to them it'll never become mainstream. (i.e consoles being sold with such hardware)

Also consider your examples (GTA:SA?).... these titles were released on last gen consoles.... We haven't even seen what GTA IV is going to do, or what sort of accessories will be able to be used with it. Theres different genre of games... and for you to call a game "noobed" down because its in 3rd person, your crazy. I never once thought Super Mario 64 or Zelda TP, GoW 1&2 "noobed" out games. Instead I find them enjoyable and worth while.

If you played any of the original thief games you'd know that its basically an abomination to add something like 3rd person, there was many changes to the game made which noobed it up in comparison to the rest of the series on the PC. The exact same thing with Deus Ex 2, completly consoled to the max in comparison to the original which was a A* game.

As for your comment about picking up a lot of games vs just a handful of games.... From what I've seen come out in 2007 so far for the PC... looks nothing more than a handful :rolleyes:

Not to mention any retailer selling video games usually has a pretty large console section/floor space compared to the PC section... thats got to say something.

I think you misunderstand, I wasn't saying theres more or less games for either platform, both have more than enough. i was saying that console games are more expensive and if you buy a lot of games (like I do) then the price of the console raises over time to match that of what a high end PC costs.

In the UK the average PC game is £30 or £35 where as the average console title (for high end consoles) tends to be £45-£50

if you only buy 2-3 games a year then fine, if you buy significantly more like 20+ then the price argument is invalid.

Right now there is hardly anything coming out on the PC that I am excited about, yet there are 10+ titles I can't wait for coming out by the end of the year on the consoles. Battlefield 23203040 doesn't appeal to me at all anymore.

However MMORPGS are PC, just do to the multifunction of them.

So you can't get excited about UT3, Crysis, Far Cry 2, Assassins Creed, Spore, Brothers in arms Hells Highway, TF2, Half Life episode 2 + 3, portal, left 4 dead, quakewars, hellgate london, warhammer 40,000, LOTR online, Bioshock, huxley, settlers VI, Fable 2,

In Fact just go here - http://au.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24525221

If you cant find 10 titles that dont look amazing in just 1 screenshot then...well i dont know what to say...

Big Business is to blame. Little innovative studios get bought up by the big guns and the teams are seperated dilluting the talent pool. Innovation goes out the window, and profit margin by developing for all systems becomes a crutch...making it un-original. Then take into affect release quality is poor due to 'deadlines' and first impressions hurt game sales. Also factor in the FPS. Its a tired and beaten genre that's completely overdone. Its a me too attitude! Same with WoW. WoW was and is a sterlling success and a juggernaught in the PC realm. There are so many 'me too' WoW clones coming out and many of them suck. There are signs though. MMO's seperate from consoles better and have more staying power for time spent without finish game go buy another, rinse and repeat. Some games like Supreme Commander are utilizing PC only features like dual monitors. All it takes is a little innovation or real quality like what was put into WoW.

The thought of playing an RTS like SupComm with a gamepad makes my head hurt. It gives me horrible flashbacks to Starcraft on the N64.

Hardware requirements needed in order to enjoy games kills off a lot of consumers. Most FPSs these days require that one builds some sort of expensive gaming machine, and that does not appeal to the average consumer.

Piracy can't be that much of a problem, its been around forever.

Consoles are taking the casual people who enjoy games from PC games. PC games are pretty hardcore, you have to be really into them in order to appreciate them.

Consoles just have a lower percentage of pirated games so it's more of a financial guarantee.

Uh...maybe in America.

I'll just assume you've never heard of Piracy in countries like China where you can get pirated games for a $1 that will work in your system that look no different than the real thing.

Cost IS a factor, your $930 pc is not going to run the latest and greatest games at high res. Heck, an 8800GTS is more than 1/3 the cost of your whole rig. A GTX is half or better...the $700 console setup will play high detail games, and last ALOT longer before it sufferes in performance than your cheap pc.

My current rig totals around $2500 including my displays, and if I wasn't using it for gaming, I could drop that price in half and still use it for what I need to do with no ill effect.

A GOOD gaming pc for late model games starts at ~1500 and WAY up.....and is basically obsolete for high end stuff in a year.

8800GTS - 280
[email protected]+ghz - 224
Gigabyte P965-DS3 - 120
2 Gigs of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM - 130 AR
Case - 50
DVD-CD/RW drive - 15
160gb HDD - 45
Lets say a Tuniq tower for the OC'ed 6600 - 50
PSU - 70

984 Dollars... where do people get 1500 dollars from. Pop a 8800gtx in there.. and its 1184dollars, again, not 1500.

2000 for a gaming computer.. wtf?! Sure, if you buy it from Voodoo.

8800GTS - 280
[email protected]+ghz - 224
Gigabyte P965-DS3 - 120
2 Gigs of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM - 130 AR
Case - 50
DVD-CD/RW drive - 15
160gb HDD - 45
Lets say a Tuniq tower for the OC'ed 6600 - 50
PSU - 70

984 Dollars... where do people get 1500 dollars from. Pop a 8800gtx in there.. and its 1184dollars, again, not 1500.

2000 for a gaming computer.. wtf?! Sure, if you buy it from Voodoo.

And a decent display and speakers. Still, no more expensive than a console + HDTV + sound system.

ANd you need a decent display + speakers for an xbox...

Actually, I use my PC monitor+headset to play my 360.. so thats a moot point for me.

Still the big thing most developers love to say is that there games scale well for older systems. Yes they like to make the biggest coolest game in the world but they also understand they must market there product to the most general of audiences in order to get there investment back. Valve has on there statistic website that most people that play Half Life 2 barley have the horse power of a 7600gt video card. Maybe it's not the game makers that are forcing you to upgrade your computer but you yourself for being greedy?

ANd you need a decent display + speakers for an xbox...

Actually, I use my PC monitor+headset to play my 360.. so thats a moot point for me.

Hm, and are you using a VGA adapter to do so? Just curious because I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

I voted "other"

I think the general reason that PC gaming has been on the decline is because there's a larger audience for console gaming and thus more developers focus their attention on the console. I know I've been a PC-gamer for a long time, but lately with the 360, Wii and my roommates PS2 I've found console games to just be more enjoyable than PC games. Even FPS's aren't that bad on the console, I've loved the mouse & keyboard approach, but after a little time the controller's not that bad. It's weird too, after being on a computer all day for school the controller just feels more relaxing to use than the computer, this is probably just me, but still; there's something to be said for relaxing on a couch with your legs up and just the small controller to deal with.

The thing with PC games is: unless you're playing 2+ year old games or you're spending a grand every year and a half, the games just won't look as good as the consoles. Also consider that most people use X1600 / 7600 or lower level video cards to game on and the general experience isn't as good as what a console can offer out of the box. This again leads back to more people looking to game on consoles over the PC.

If drop & play technology does materialize on the PC then I think PC gaming might have a resurgance. RTS's are definitely most enjoyable on the PC, and I don't think you can ever be as good with a controller as with a mouse & keyboard for FPS's.

I don't see PC gaming disappearing any time soon, but with the visuals that the new consoles offer (and the overall uniqueness of the Wii) I wouldn't expect the PC to flat-out beat consoles anytime soon either.

I think there's a world of things that have led to the decline, the least of them being piracy. The computer entertainment world has changed drastically in the last 8-10 years. One big issue I think that has led to the decline in computer gaming has to be oem's building subpar low-end systems. Families are not going to shy away from buying $300 systems with bundled monitors and printers whenever all the parts have "Dell" emblazened on them. With the quick boom in highspeed options and increase in processor speeds and memory upgrade options, systems are, and will, last much longer in the family household. If mommy and daddy can still surf the internet with ease, there's no need to invest in a new computer. Unfortunately, graphics are scraped first to get these systems to low price points to make them more appealing. When the families children can't play games on the computer because of lag, poor rendering, or can't even figure out how to install the game in the first place, it isn't hard to see why consoles are doing so well.

The one saving grace I see in the PC gaming world is the competitive aspect. Console gamers have only recently gotten a taste of the money and recognition recieved from competition that the PC gamers have had for years. The CPL has really done wonders in promoting computer gaming in this respect. WSVG and WCG have also done their part, but are starting to emphasize console gaming more and more each year.

Another point that may have already been mentioned is that while it seems that pc gaming is declining in the US in comparison to consoles, in other countries across the world, computer gaming is king. Sweden and Korea are two countries where this is evident to me, as both have extremely strong PC gaming communities.

Hm, and are you using a VGA adapter to do so? Just curious because I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

Yeah, I love it. Looks great on even my little dinky 19" widescreen monitor. But hey, I got a bigger epeen than all my friends when we do our monthly lan party because they all play on super small televisions.

i voted other. i believe that it's the general public consensus that pc gaming is only for the hardest of hardcore game geeks. every time i hear one of my little brother's friends try to talk up how pointless pc gaming when im just trying to play some cs:s, i want to puke. i'll give you a for instance:

n00b: dude why the hell do u bother playing pc games? consoles are sooooooo much better
me: o rly? and why is that, o lord of games? (i get VERY cynical when i play cs:s :p)
n00b: well, for starters, all console games are in hd. in case you didnt know, that hig-
me: do you know what resolution your fancy $3000 hdtv actually runs at?
n00b: whats resolution?
me: thats what i thought. it probably runs at around 1024x768. this $200 monitor runs 1280x1024. so, whiz kid, which has better resolution, or, if you prefer, higher definition?
n00b: well, that may be, but consoles have online capabilities
me: you my friend are preaching to the choir. pcs had online games when you were learning your abcs in preschool.
n00b: yeah, well, we have gears of war. what do you say to that?
me: oh, you got me. you have one amazing game. pcs have non-sodomized versions of half life, counter strike, quake, doom, rainbow six, the elder scrolls and everquest. as far as exclusives go, pcs have world of warcraft, neverwinter nights, supreme commander, command and conquer, company of heroes, stalker, freelancer, i could go on if you want.
n00b: well, none of that matters. gears of war is the greatest game of all time!!!
me: kid, have you ever played a shooter on pc? can you even spell "pc"? get some real facts, then get back to me

also note that at the beginning of every subsequent console generation since the first 3d-capable consoles, people decry the death of pc gaming due to how "advanced" and "state-of-the-art" their new lunchboxes. yet every year, pc gaming is still there. why is this? because the consoles are impressive for ~1 year, then their technology is obsolete, whereas pcs are evolving machines.

LOL... QFT.

I blame quality of games too. Games used to be solid, but now, because of rush to market for profits, games are declining in quality.

EA's quantity over quality

Not only EA, but a lot of other companies as well. But EA is definatly the worst at it.. ugh all their games i've ever played have been buggy as hell. Especially Beta Field 2 >.<

the whole piracy thing is so retarded that it blows my mind people still think that's the problem. Piracy was actually way, way easier 10 years ago. I can pirate console games as well if I want. Some of the best games I played back in the day were legitimately free, in fact. Doom, anyone?

In fact, any time I hear someone mention the word piracy anymore I just kind of wonder what rock they've been living under for the past 20 years. The riaa talking about piracy is the biggest joke of all. Dual tape decks anyone? Piracy never got any easier than that, lol.

It's pretty much a cost of development thing.

That said, there will always be a market for pc games. The pc shooter will never die, but will probably be diluted due to console porting. Strategy games and mmorpgs will also keep coming out for pc as long as consoles keep excluding a mouse and keyboard. In fact, we've gotten a nice surge of good strategy titles lately.

Which reminds me, I wish people would stop dry-humping their WoW boxes so Blizzard can go back to making Starcraft 2 like they SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING ALL ALONG. I wish successful mmorpg's weren't so stupidly profitable heh.

This has all probably been pointed out by other people but I didn't feel like reading any of this thread :p

I would just like to recap what I said a few pages back.

YOU are the reason why pc gaming is on the decline because YOU are not buying the games, therefore the only person to blame is YOU.

Back