Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is on the fence about trying one of the challenge leagues, Rampage is a blast. It provides a new type of short term game play goal that this game hasn't had before. Once you get your rampage going all of a sudden your focus shifts to, "where is the next closest monster? How long can I keep the streak going?". It's a dimension of the game that hasn't existed before. It's also especially fun during the "defend the relic" missions with the Elreon master. And I always enjoy rolling a new character so I'm in a happy place right now.

Elreaon...He appeared in my Coves map last night and just when I started the "Defend the Relic" quest the map boss decided to make an entrance...dragging his friends with him.

Needless to say, I failed.

I met three masters last night and all were in 71-72 maps...though I understand they can appear anywhere.

Do note that high-level life flasks have recieved a HUGE buff so it might not be immediately obvious but your HP regen from flasks is going to be MUCH HIGHER than before.

Also there are 2 new tiers of life flask that can drop for even better life flasks :)

I'd never heard of Strongboxes until I ran into one. They're a friggin blast! I haven't gotten any good loot from one...but they are fun.

Click it, Enfeeble, Blend, Loot. Repeat. I find I have to chase the mobs down because one or two always run away for some reason. (I think because they are ranged mobs?)
So are strongboxes and these new master guys restricted to the new leagues? I have a hankerin to go play my ice lance witch again (first character i made), but she's obviously in standard league.
Do note that high-level life flasks have recieved a HUGE buff so it might not be immediately obvious but your HP regen from flasks is going to be MUCH HIGHER than before.

Also there are 2 new tiers of life flask that can drop for even better life flasks :)

That's some good news!

So are strongboxes and these new master guys restricted to the new leagues? I have a hankerin to go play my ice lance witch again (first character i made), but she's obviously in standard league.
That's some good news!
More good news for you: Ice Spear got a very large buff this patch.
Strongboxes were the new thing from last 4-month challenge league, and have now been integrated into the entire game so yes your standard characters will get them.
The Masters are new this patch but are not-league specific and are simply general content so you can also find them in the Standard league.

Elreaon...He appeared in my Coves map last night and just when I started the "Defend the Relic" quest the map boss decided to make an entrance...dragging his friends with him.

Needless to say, I failed.

I met three masters last night and all were in 71-72 maps...though I understand they can appear anywhere.

I haven't played in so long that I was clueless as to who he was. Next thing I know all hell broke lose, I was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and of course I lost. But it was fun as hell! :) Can he appear again? Or do I need to create a new character to meet him again for another try? I was level 2 when I clicked him.

That's some good news!

I only play on standard. The expansion has been really fun, even taking into account a little more desync that I've previously seen.

I've heard ES has taken a bit of a hit across the board but should still be viable (in case your witch was using ES only items)

I was going to complete the build process for my Mini-Kossel and my Rostock Max over Labor Day weekend but I think I'm just gonna get my game on, instead.

More good news for you: Ice Spear got a very large buff this patch.
Strongboxes were the new thing from last 4-month challenge league, and have now been integrated into the entire game so yes your standard characters will get them.
The Masters are new this patch but are not-league specific and are simply general content so you can also find them in the Standard league.
Ahh this is great! Very excited now to check out the new content. I don't think i've played at all the last two patches. I've never seen a strongbox, corrupted area, or a vaal skill gem.
I only play on standard. The expansion has been really fun, even taking into account a little more desync that I've previously seen.

I've heard ES has taken a bit of a hit across the board but should still be viable (in case your witch was using ES only items)

I was going to complete the build process for my Mini-Kossel and my Rostock Max over Labor Day weekend but I think I'm just gonna get my game on, instead.

I still have my mouse profile ready to go with an /oos macro on the thumb button. I see they nerfed the freeze chance of cold snap and reworked a bunch of curses... we'll see how it all pans out. I used to feel pretty safe with the cold curse followed by a cold snap supported with elemental proliferation. Hopefully it's still nearly a guaranteed group-freeze, but from the sounds of it maybe that's what they were trying to nerf.

Edit: Man I forgot how intimidating this tree can be when you're doing a full respec on a high level character. Going to have to play around with it a bit before I spec

Last edited:
I feel like they don't Nerf and buff things for "balance.". It seems they just do it to create a new meta-game with every patch. Not necessarily bad, just saying. I havent played in a while though.

Exactly, it's a cheap way to create "new" content by allowing for new FOTM builds.

I already have the Armor, Geomancy, and Weapon masters but I need to read up a bit and figure out which Master allows you to craft better belts and jewelry.

I crafted some really nice armor last night. It's like 1800+AR, 88Life, 6 regen/sec, +28% resists for fire and lightning, and another stat. I just need to add cold to it then 6L it.

Started playing again. Did the nerf some of the bosses? Brutus didn't hit me no where near as hard this time around.

I already have the Armor, Geomancy, and Weapon masters but I need to read up a bit and figure out which Master allows you to craft better belts and jewelry.

I crafted some really nice armor last night. It's like 1800+AR, 88Life, 6 regen/sec, +28% resists for fire and lightning, and another stat. I just need to add cold to it then 6L it.
1) that chest has 6 mods you can't add to it
2) for the love of god don't waste currency trying to 6L a chest with <90 life and with life regen lmao

Started playing again. Did the nerf some of the bosses? Brutus didn't hit me no where near as hard this time around.

I've heard opinions that he is harder but it must really depend on the build because my DoT Shadow (Viper Strike/Puncture/Fire Trap/Dual Strike/claws) build melted him in about 5 seconds...but it also did the same against Dominus (both normal difficulty).

I think the biggest improvement to the fights is that they eliminated most of the obstacles which seems to have drastically reduced or eliminated desync. The Brutus fight used to be horrendous for desync and it looks like pathing was responsible for a lot of it.

In other news, the game appears to be doing quite well!

After a small serverside hotfix yesterday, we released a larger 1.2.0b patch today to address some more post-launch bugs and balance issues. With the release of Forsaken Masters and the recent opening of Garena's Taiwanese servers, Path of Exile is hitting all-time records of player concurrency! Last night we had a total of 117,500 players playing simultaneously. We're really looking forward to seeing how high we can push it over the weekend.

See you in Beyond.

Of note to me were the Beyond League balance changes:

- Added extra drop rewards for top-tier Beyond demons.
- Removed the life regeneration aura from the Blood of Haast.

I found that Brutus doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as he used to. I believe that the overall damage of his smash is quite a bit lower while the AOE is much, much bigger. The smash is now a "wave" that will traverse almost the whole length of his room.

Brutus also spawns adds now. Oh man the Merveil fight, 2nd form. Lagged my PC a bit but a much more engaging fight and very fun. I like the buff to Freezing Pulse and I think the Skill Tree now has 25% total chance to freeze which should be amazing. I kind of like the Rampage bonuses but they seem to get old fast. Should I just start on Beyond league? Are the portal fights fun?

The portal fights from beyond league basically slow down the game a lot. It's balanced so that even medium sized packs can spawn a portal (its slightly RNG) so you either have to try to split them up (takes time), only partially kill them, or do a portal fight (takes time). The beyond mobs are quite tanky comparatively although not absurdly damaging.

For the passive witch skill tree, is it still better to go out the defensive side vs the damage side? They sure moved a lot of stuff around.

Why did they make the 1 additional curse into a smaller node? Seems kinda weird, took me awhile to find it.

I seem to remember that most people mainly go defense in the tree except for certain crit shit and the like.

The portal fights from beyond league basically slow down the game a lot. It's balanced so that even medium sized packs can spawn a portal (its slightly RNG) so you either have to try to split them up (takes time), only partially kill them, or do a portal fight (takes time). The beyond mobs are quite tanky comparatively although not absurdly damaging.

I'm not sure what to think on Beyond yet, but the removal of that life regen aura that from Haast mob (see patch notes) was definitely a good change. I need to get to a higher level before I judge whether it's okay or not, since at lvl 38ish you won't really have amazing damage or amazing mitigation.

I will say that they could tone down the spawn rate at lower levels: I literally faced the same elite mob 3 times in a row on the Ledge just running from the entrance to the waypoint...that got old fast. I spawned the same 3-4 Beyond mobs over and over and didn't see a new one until I reached The Scepter of God in normal, so the lack of monster variety is not helping sell the Beyond league.

I also haven't played since they "increased the rewards" from Beyond unique mobs, but hopefully it's a significant increase; there needs to be a reward for slogging through those fights or it's just a giant piss-off for no reason.

Man this tree... the way they moved it all around it's like... i want everything, but can't get it all :( It seemed like before i could get all the shit i wanted, then veer off to other areas and grab other stuff. Now i'll be tempted to just fill up the entire beginning witch area lol

Man this tree... the way they moved it all around it's like... i want everything, but can't get it all :( It seemed like before i could get all the shit i wanted, then veer off to other areas and grab other stuff. Now i'll be tempted to just fill up the entire beginning witch area lol

Completely agree, I can't seem to get to a functional build with less than 100 points, which I'm afraid will leave me pretty compromised when I get to merciless. I might need to be less ambitious.... We'll see soon enough I guess.

I found that Brutus doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as he used to. I believe that the overall damage of his smash is quite a bit lower while the AOE is much, much bigger. The smash is now a "wave" that will traverse almost the whole length of his room.

He's not that bad. Mapping he's ok. Gotta watch for the chaos dam his minions drop tho.

Well...seems I can't get in what with 1300+ in the queue ahead of me...

They've also remade some of the maps, which is fine since it's nice to see some changes, but they've taken one of my favorite maps and made it, for all intents and purposes, impossible for me to run it.

Graveyard map (for me) is now downright unplayable. Every time, and I mean, Every. Single. Time. the boss on that map makes those swords do Cyclone, I desynch for at least 20 seconds and either drop to the character select or, once everything is sync'd back up, I'm already dead.

/oos doesn't help in my case. I ran the map 3 times right after leveling so I wouldn't waste any XP if I died and, of 3 runs, I lost at least 7 portals from dropping to character select and found myself already dead on the rest when synch was re-established... (Doesn't count the zone in on each map and the fact I ported back to unload loot once each time)

I get to the stairs fine. no problems whatsoever, and it's still a pretty easy zone until the boss. then, desynch city

I think it's either a skill problem, or they're having server issues. I've NEVER seen server queue from these guys until the recent patch was released. I would think they'd get it fixed soon, but it's probably more 'desync is real, kiss our asses and pay us' bs.

hackers lol

they GGG is a sorry little band of hackers that copied a game then fucked it up.
have made it almost impossible to roll sockets now so driving up the prices on anything worth having from the few that still play.

AGAIN LOL to them
hope they close down

hackers lol

they GGG is a sorry little band of hackers that copied a game then fucked it up.
have made it almost impossible to roll sockets now so driving up the prices on anything worth having from the few that still play.

AGAIN LOL to them
hope they close down

huh? The "hackers" were just DDOSing whatever game top-view streamers on Twitch were playing, there was no hate directly towards PoE itself. Dunno what to say about the rest of that incoherent rambling, especially since there are now recipes for guaranteed sockets/links...

I thought I was having internet problems all weekend because of this, wow. I lost a few characters and rage quit. lol

I thought I was having internet problems all weekend because of this, wow. I lost a few characters and rage quit. lol

ouch. I'm glad i didn't die. I did notice that it was relatively laggy while trying out my witch spec, but i was in the docks so it wasn't too risky.

My character is pretty broken atm because i have all this +quantity gear on and didn't take the time to locate my other gear, but from what i can remember it definitly feels like i do more damage now. I'm happy I chose to leave the witch starting area via the defense side instead of the offense.

So if there's someone on Standard who would like a Graveyard (lvl 70) for a different map of equal level let me know.

On a related note...that Labyrinth map is a blast! I nearly died like 5 times before I managed to get enough time to pop a port so I could go back and get my Infernal Blow gem, lol...

It was like Benny Hill was up in tha hizzouse for bout 9-10 straight minutes before I got enough distance..hahaha

Oh...also...If someone on standard wants Sacrifice sets I have 12 complete sets I'm selling. I think the going rate is 3 sets for 1 Exalted but check the latest prices in case they dropped.

What's a sacrifice set?

I'm kind of annoyed at the game. I really want to play my witch but she's just broken now. Too many changes to mana, auras, the tree, etc. Tried to put her back the way she was but it just doesn't work anymore. Leveling a new one seems pointless because she's 78.. Sigh. Guess ill just go finish D:OS

edit: here's my tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...Q9dHk2Vva3d-E34rjVuNq5OvpAuv17Bjw1fId9HH31w==
not that i can respec at this point anyway, but maybe i did something terribly wrong.

Just lurked the POE forums a bit. Nope, not just me. It's the changes to auras. I didn't realize it, but clarity is now a % based aura, and i'm not the only one who can't run shit anymore. Also, with as much mana regen I have on my gear, I really shouldn't need to run Clarity, but i do. Base mana regen needs to be buffed big time.

Last edited:
What's a sacrifice set?

I'm kind of annoyed at the game. I really want to play my witch but she's just broken now. Too many changes to mana, auras, the tree, etc. Tried to put her back the way she was but it just doesn't work anymore. Leveling a new one seems pointless because she's 78.. Sigh. Guess ill just go finish D:OS

edit: here's my tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...Q9dHk2Vva3d-E34rjVuNq5OvpAuv17Bjw1fId9HH31w==
not that i can respec at this point anyway, but maybe i did something terribly wrong.

Just lurked the POE forums a bit. Nope, not just me. It's the changes to auras. I didn't realize it, but clarity is now a % based aura, and i'm not the only one who can't run shit anymore. Also, with as much mana regen I have on my gear, I really shouldn't need to run Clarity, but i do. Base mana regen needs to be buffed big time.

What kind of character are you playing? It looks like you've taken both life and ES nodes, but didn't take any nodes related to mana or mana reservation at all. Looks like you're really heavily invested into ES, so Eldritch Battery is out for mana, but could you switch to CI? I can't see your gear so I don't know, but you've got 13 points into life nodes at the moment and it would take 4 to spec into CI, with the others placed wherever you wanted.

I got to 46 last night on my Duelist and was really hurting for resistance, so I used the armormaster Haku to add 25% fire res to my gloves, 25% fire res to my helm, and 25% lightning res to my boots...it really changes the game when you don't hit that gear wall, particularly because the items I'm using aren't terrible, they just didn't have a couple of stats I needed (the boots were 28 dex, 70 life, 25% cold res, 25% movement speed...and now they have 25% lightning res too!). The res rolls cost me 10 Augmentation orbs each.

Running a custom build using Tornado Shot and so far it's really badass. Great new skill!

What kind of character are you playing? It looks like you've taken both life and ES nodes, but didn't take any nodes related to mana or mana reservation at all. Looks like you're really heavily invested into ES, so Eldritch Battery is out for mana, but could you switch to CI? I can't see your gear so I don't know, but you've got 13 points into life nodes at the moment and it would take 4 to spec into CI, with the others placed wherever you wanted.

Playing a Ice Lance curse witch. Previously running Discipline and Clarity auras.

2 Ice Lance spells, one for single targets and one with Greater Multiple Projectiles. Then i have the extra curse talent, and the extra curse boots for a total of 3 curses. Frostbite, Critical Weakness, and Projectile Weakness.

I can't really remember the old Critical Weakness curse. Was it better than Assassin's Mark is now?

For survivability reasons I have avoided both CI and EB. My gear has ES and often +Hp, so i was trying to maximize both in order to survive better (dying sucks).

I got to 46 last night on my Duelist and was really hurting for resistance, so I used the armormaster Haku to add 25% fire res to my gloves, 25% fire res to my helm, and 25% lightning res to my boots...it really changes the game when you don't hit that gear wall, particularly because the items I'm using aren't terrible, they just didn't have a couple of stats I needed (the boots were 28 dex, 70 life, 25% cold res, 25% movement speed...and now they have 25% lightning res too!). The res rolls cost me 10 Augmentation orbs each.

Running a custom build using Tornado Shot and so far it's really badass. Great new skill!

My gear is probably awful compared to what you can make with the new crafting options. 10 augs is so cheap for that good of a roll, damn. I didn't ever expect them to put in something like this. This is in standard league too right?

Last edited:
My gear is probably awful compared to what you can make with the new crafting options. 10 augs is so cheap for that good of a roll, damn. I didn't ever expect them to put in something like this. This is in standard league too right?

Yes, the new Masters are in all leagues. The new curses (Assassin's Mark, Poacher's Mark, etc.) seem to be really good, especially since they add power/frenzy/endurance charges on kill. Curse on hit was also changed so that it always applies the curse (instead of starting at like 30% chance to apply the curse); so right now I'm running a 4L that is Tornado Shot + LMP + Curse on Hit + Poacher's Mark.

You might also be interested in running the self-buff skill Herald of Ice if you haven't seen one already.

Yes, the new Masters are in all leagues. The new curses (Assassin's Mark, Poacher's Mark, etc.) seem to be really good, especially since they add power/frenzy/endurance charges on kill. Curse on hit was also changed so that it always applies the curse (instead of starting at like 30% chance to apply the curse); so right now I'm running a 4L that is Tornado Shot + LMP + Curse on Hit + Poacher's Mark.

You might also be interested in running the self-buff skill Herald of Ice if you haven't seen one already.

Oh yea crazy! I haven't ever used a trigger gem before, but it sounds like it might be a good time to try. Also, that Herald of Ice sounds perfect for my build. It's just rough going back to a character after so many changes. I'm still not certain if I can fix this character or if i should just start a new one.

I saw talk in here about the new leagues' special thing being kinda dumb? Why is that? Anyone playing in the new league and enjoying it?

Oh yea crazy! I haven't ever used a trigger gem before, but it sounds like it might be a good time to try. Also, that Herald of Ice sounds perfect for my build. It's just rough going back to a character after so many changes. I'm still not certain if I can fix this character or if i should just start a new one.

I saw talk in here about the new leagues' special thing being kinda dumb? Why is that? Anyone playing in the new league and enjoying it?

I have only played in Beyond (HC) league, which has already received a couple of balance fixes concerning the "Beyond" special mobs that were anti-fun in their first iteration. Basically, killing enemies spawns little portals and if you spawn 4 of them close together they will spawn a pack of magic monsters and a rare monster; spawning 3 of those close together will spawn a unique boss monster. Things can really get out of hand. At one point, before I realized it I was fighting 1 unique, 3+ rares, 15+ magic monsters, and a horde of white monsters, all with auras and various special abilities. Much kiting was involved. :p

The complaints from many people were due to the fact that the Beyond mobs were spawning with double regen mods (regen aura on rare mob, regens health on magics) or haste + chaos degen clouds + powerful 2handed swords ("sword bros"), and they're all super tanky and not at all aligned with the rest of the monsters in the zone. Worse yet, they were dropping jack for loot, making the whole thing seem like a tedious waste of time.

They have since removed the regen, haste, and resistance auras from Beyond mobs and also increased the quality of loot on the higher tiers.

There's actually a nice discussion of the expansion on the State of Exile podcast. First time I've watched their podcast, which was promoted by Chris here (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1012566) but I really enjoyed the listen.

Cool, thanks for the info Aix.

I actually just decided to start a new Witch in the new non-HC league. So far it's been fun, and definitely more fun than trying to muddle around with my old character. Sad that it's a lot of wasted XP though. I am curious though, how do you see the bonuses of the killstreaks?

Cool, thanks for the info Aix.

I actually just decided to start a new Witch in the new non-HC league. So far it's been fun, and definitely more fun than trying to muddle around with my old character. Sad that it's a lot of wasted XP though. I am curious though, how do you see the bonuses of the killstreaks?

"See the bonuses", as in, what exactly they are? The wiki for Rampages is still under construction (the league only being a week old) but quite a few of them are listed there. You also get 1% move speed for every 10 kills in the streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back