Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible it will release this year, but I'm good with letting them continue to improve the solid foundation they already have.

I kind of found a weird connection between the states of PoE and D3.

You want to play PoE now and build a character, but they are beta testing the game to hopefully get it right before release. Well D3 released a game, supposedly after having a beta :rolleyes: and now they are patching it weekly it seems like, but you get to buy it and can build up a character and keep it. Which way is better? Honestly, oddly enough I actually like the way Blizz is doing it, and I'm not biased cuz I bought into PoE's beta.

I would just rather play the stinkin game with friends like it was released. Fix it and upgrade it as you go, its software, it's called spiral development which is commonly used in industry. Nothing ever seems to be perfect on release anyway.

GW2 is having a pretty stringent and thourough beta, closed and multiple open weekends. How much do you want to bet that it will still have to be tweaked and patched after release, no matter how much testing they do?

Anyways, just some thoughts I had.

I kind of found a weird connection between the states of PoE and D3.

You want to play PoE now and build a character, but they are beta testing the game to hopefully get it right before release. Well D3 released a game, supposedly after having a beta :rolleyes: and now they are patching it weekly it seems like, but you get to buy it and can build up a character and keep it. Which way is better? Honestly, oddly enough I actually like the way Blizz is doing it, and I'm not biased cuz I bought into PoE's beta.

I would just rather play the stinkin game with friends like it was released. Fix it and upgrade it as you go, its software, it's called spiral development which is commonly used in industry. Nothing ever seems to be perfect on release anyway.

GW2 is having a pretty stringent and thourough beta, closed and multiple open weekends. How much do you want to bet that it will still have to be tweaked and patched after release, no matter how much testing they do?

Anyways, just some thoughts I had.

The development cycle for PoE has been much shorter than D3, they just started their public beta much earlier in that process comparatively. Sure, I'd love a finished product today, but I think they are handling their beta really well. Lots of communication, design choices are openly discussed, they had a focused and unique vision from the start. You can always play your Legacy character if you're really attached (for now).

As of now, Act 3 isn't finished, nor is anything beyond it. Devs say it is actually coming in the next patch(es).

Hell, I love the fact that the economy simply cannot be fucked, unless someone discovers major duping methods.

The development cycle for PoE has been much shorter than D3, they just started their public beta much earlier in that process comparatively. Sure, I'd love a finished product today, but I think they are handling their beta really well. Lots of communication, design choices are openly discussed, they had a focused and unique vision from the start. You can always play your Legacy character if you're really attached (for now).

As of now, Act 3 isn't finished, nor is anything beyond it. Devs say it is actually coming in the next patch(es).

Hell, I love the fact that the economy simply cannot be fucked, unless someone discovers major duping methods.

I think you missed my point :/

I wasn't necessarily comparing the times that the two games were in/are beta phase, but more along the lines of the decisions that they made that impacted their development. Meaning, they released a game to 6 million people who can effectively flush out the game much faster and more in depth than a closed beta ever could. Think of the kind of vetting and feedback you'll get from that. And it obvioulsy shows with their patches and the game is still progressing and getting better. Or you could argue another game, such as PoE, or game X whatever sits in a beta phase but is only getting tested by a smaller pool and thus development will not be as fast and efficient.

Its kind of like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_model

Also when you say that the development cycle for PoE has been much shorter than D3, well I respond and say how could you possibly know that. Because D3 is still in development. Just because it released to the public as a retail version doesn't mean that development stops. That would be ludacris. You think they are going to stop working on PoE when they go F2P?

Obvioulsy in the development, you have to get the software to a certain point, you can't release it on say day 2, but after a certain point why hold on to it. PoE has more than enough now to effectively launch it, just keep developing it along the way. Add act 3 in 6 months or whatever.

You say things like communication and design choices are openly discussed. Well think of the discussion Blizz has gotten from within and from their 6M plus customers, and they are obvioulsy listening.

Rdzona I can deal with Diablo 3 having issues as long as the fun is still there. My friend's list says differently though as it's a barren wasteland now. They couldn't believe that Blizzard would release a game in this state and consequently quit the game. 8 hardcore WoW/D2 players, 3 family members, numerous others that I met through the 8 WoW players, a couple guys from these boards, and some guys from my SWTOR guild. They quit because they simply weren't having fun with the game. Had nothing to do with bugs, but core game play.

When you're first to market and there isn't much to compare your game to, there is much more leeway from consumers as they see the innovation and fun. When there are established franchises in your genre, then you need to get it right the first time. Of course there will be patches in response to bugs and exploits, but they shouldn't be because your game is alienating your customer base from your company.

As far as leveling up in PoE with the prospect of server wipes, I agree with you as it's a hindrance for me. I really want to keep my character and I have crappy gear! I don't understand the concept of starting over since they added game saves to cartridges in the Nintendo NES days. But at the same time I understand that this is a cutthroat business where a fan that you turn away with unfinished product may never come back to try your game again.

Thus I'm willing to be one of those rabid dogs begging and pleading with drool running down my jowls for the release date. :)

I think you missed my point :/

I wasn't necessarily comparing the times that the two games were in/are beta phase, but more along the lines of the decisions that they made that impacted their development. Meaning, they released a game to 6 million people who can effectively flush out the game much faster and more in depth than a closed beta ever could. Think of the kind of vetting and feedback you'll get from that. And it obvioulsy shows with their patches and the game is still progressing and getting better. Or you could argue another game, such as PoE, or game X whatever sits in a beta phase but is only getting tested by a smaller pool and thus development will not be as fast and efficient.

Its kind of like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_model

Also when you say that the development cycle for PoE has been much shorter than D3, well I respond and say how could you possibly know that. Because D3 is still in development. Just because it released to the public as a retail version doesn't mean that development stops. That would be ludacris. You think they are going to stop working on PoE when they go F2P?

Obvioulsy in the development, you have to get the software to a certain point, you can't release it on say day 2, but after a certain point why hold on to it. PoE has more than enough now to effectively launch it, just keep developing it along the way. Add act 3 in 6 months or whatever.

You say things like communication and design choices are openly discussed. Well think of the discussion Blizz has gotten from within and from their 6M plus customers, and they are obvioulsy listening.

To be fair, not all of the patching to D3 has been positive, or well recieved. Let's drop the idea that D3 is still in beta, also. Yes, patches are being released, but the game is complete. I'd also argue that the majority view of 6million people can often be shortsighted, so a developer should know the difference between making a choice based on feedback and making a choice based on putting out a quality product. In that respect, I feel the devs on PoE are doing a good job. They explain why ideas would or would not work in the game, and do so effectively. I don't think they are being inneficient at all in their development, most of these patches have massive change logs.

Sure, they could release the game as finished right now, but they also want enough content to keep people going when it hits the streets.

To be fair, not all of the patching to D3 has been positive, or well recieved. Let's drop the idea that D3 is still in beta, also. Yes, patches are being released, but the game is complete. I'd also argue that the majority view of 6million people can often be shortsighted, so a developer should know the difference between making a choice based on feedback and making a choice based on putting out a quality product. In that respect, I feel the devs on PoE are doing a good job. They explain why ideas would or would not work in the game, and do so effectively. I don't think they are being inneficient at all in their development, most of these patches have massive change logs.

Sure, they could release the game as finished right now, but they also want enough content to keep people going when it hits the streets.

I'm sure the D3 devs could do the same thing and they have done before through their reddit AMAA but the masses of wannabe know-it-alls would come back and try to argue it down to the last period as we've seen before. Like another poster above, D3 just has so many players playing and so many know-it-alls that think they are the best at everything (look at the Athene and Kripparian videos that everyone is always talking about. Which I honestly think are pure garbage for the most part.)

Honestly PoE seems like it will have huge potential as a niche game but it'll never match D3. They went for different markets. PoE is going after those that are still lusting after D2.5 which is what PoE really is IMHO. Blizzard went for the casual/WoW gamer (notice the word casual here) and with that I believe that they have succeeded immensely.

Right. It was never the intent of GGG to "compete" with D3. The game is F2P (not pay2win at all) and caters to those with a more hardcore attitude. The difference is that they seem to be a group of gamers that are making a game they would enjoy playing.

The amount of effort going into this really shows. I understand the label of Diablo 2.5 this game gets, yet I hope that doesn't downplay how unique it actually is in certain respects.

Right. It was never the intent of GGG to "compete" with D3. The game is F2P (not pay2win at all) and caters to those with a more hardcore attitude. The difference is that they seem to be a group of gamers that are making a game they would enjoy playing.

The amount of effort going into this really shows. I understand the label of Diablo 2.5 this game gets, yet I hope that doesn't downplay how unique it actually is in certain respects.

Yeah, the "feel" of PoE is a lot like Diablo 2, but the economy and a lot of the game mechanics are completely different, in a fresh and exciting way.

Unfortunately for GGG that's something that's going to either benefit them or be their curse IMO.

I really hope that PoE does well as I did buy a supporter pack as well but a part of me has a sinking feeling that these types of "hardcore" games are slowly dying in this generation of gamers who demand instant satisfaction and simplified gameplay. Similar to how I feel about the whole F2P trend that is happening in gaming. Don't like that trend either. :(

Folks, just a reminder that this thread is for discussion of Path of Exile. If you want to compare/contrast it and Diablo 3, you may do so HERE.

Unfortunately for GGG that's something that's going to either benefit them or be their curse IMO.

I really hope that PoE does well as I did buy a supporter pack as well but a part of me has a sinking feeling that these types of "hardcore" games are slowly dying in this generation of gamers who demand instant satisfaction and simplified gameplay. Similar to how I feel about the whole F2P trend that is happening in gaming. Don't like that trend either. :(

Yea my nephew died twice in PoE and never logged back in. We were playing Demigod vs bots and he insisted on turning the fog of war off to make it "better". I'm like man you're such a wuss. :)

If a game is fun and good, then it doesn't matter how difficult the game is. It will sale and do well. PoE is hardly challenging, but that isn't PoE's fault, thats the genre. DayZ isn't forgiving and is still selling Arma2 copies like hot cakes. MineCraft = What your mind dreams up. F2p isn't the enemy either, the enemy lies with poor design choices when making the game f2p. LoL has done a good job with f2p. A game like EvE is even f2p if you know what your doing. Planetside 2 *MAY* be a great f2p title as well. Imho both these issues your talking about are coming from imitation instead of innovation. The market place has changed. Now you have indy/private developers setting the bar more than the guys with the $$$.

Back to PoE. Map system is going to be sweet. Tailor made end game by the player is pretty impressive if you ask me.

You know that map interface place he teleports to has 4 slots to maybe combine maps into something even more epic?

The market place has changed. Now you have indy/private developers setting the bar more than the guys with the $$$.

Yup, I fucking love that. Never before have I supported so many indie developers in such a short amount of time.

All the AAA studios have, for the most part, let greed get hold of them. Once started down that path, apparently, they cannot see the end... and will grind their franchises into the ground.

So is there some way to view latency in-game? Seems kind of weird to be playing an online game with no indication of latency anywhere.

Also, I wish there was an option to see health/damage numbers.

I run into stuttering with this game when i play on my laptop. Its like a disc skipping.

But overall its an awesome game!

So is there some way to view latency in-game? Seems kind of weird to be playing an online game with no indication of latency anywhere.

Also, I wish there was an option to see health/damage numbers.

F1 key.

So I hit level 12 on my marauder last night (just killed Brutus). The fame is not without its flaws, but Im having alot of fun. One thing I really like is the choices you have in customization. My friend also rolled a marauder and our passive tree looks completely different. We're also playing completely different ways. Im going club and shield stacking elemental damage, and he's going two handed focusing more on tanking and using traps to help with dps.

Its pretty cool how different out builds are going to be. The loot is good too. It seems there is a constant supply of upgrades and side grades and just cool options to choose from.

The only complaints I have are minor polish issues. Id really like it if the view wasn't so zoomed in. The game feels really claustrophobic staring right over my chars shoulder. Also, d3's inventory system has really grown on me. Poe feels like a step back with its tiny inventory and fuckhuge armor pieces. The lack of quick item compare is also disappointing.

The lack of gold is different. Still not sure how I feel about it. Its a pain in the ass running out of identify scrolls and having 6 pieces that need to be identified, and when you sell something you don't get identify scrolls, you get shards of trans or whatever. Still its not bad, I've never felt "broke" in the game I've got a ton of town portal scroll, and assorted orbs in my inventory I still haven't used or attempted to sell.

All in all, a really fun good game that needs some spit and polish to make it great

The only complaints I have are minor polish issues. Id really like it if the view wasn't so zoomed in. The game feels really claustrophobic staring right over my chars shoulder. Also, d3's inventory system has really grown on me. Poe feels like a step back with its tiny inventory and fuckhuge armor pieces. The lack of quick item compare is also disappointing.

The lack of gold is different. Still not sure how I feel about it. Its a pain in the ass running out of identify scrolls and having 6 pieces that need to be identified, and when you sell something you don't get identify scrolls, you get shards of trans or whatever. Still its not bad, I've never felt "broke" in the game I've got a ton of town portal scroll, and assorted orbs in my inventory I still haven't used or attempted to sell.

There are some polish issues but it is really expected when they are still adding MAJOR features. When they call it a beta it really is misleading because of all they have been doing developement wise.

If you need scrolls sell an orb. There are many that will give you 20 scrolls. I don't recall which orbs sell for what, but a little forum hunting will help ya out.

There are some polish issues but it is really expected when they are still adding MAJOR features. When they call it a beta it really is misleading because of all they have been doing developement wise.

If you need scrolls sell an orb. There are many that will give you 20 scrolls. I don't recall which orbs sell for what, but a little forum hunting will help ya out.

Of course, its still a beta, afterall. Im pretty sure they don't plan on changing the view zoom. Or the inventory system. But like I said, those are minor quibbles, and something you can get used to pretty easily.

I haven't trod selling orbs, but I probably will tonight, just so I don't have to sell stuff unidentified
. (I imagine it sells for more identified?)

I need to farm for xp a bit more. When we were in the jail I kept dieing like a bitch, even though I have pretty good armor. I think ai went too far on my str and dmg tree too early, neglecting the life tree. Since its my first build im just copying the cookie cutter posted on the marauder forum (1 handed shield elemental). I usually play a caster, so this is a fun change of pace for me. Glacial strike is freaking sweet. Start with a shield charge or leaping attack and go to town with my club, its great.

Items that are identified don't really sell for that much more. I usually just sold them unidentified and kept the mats. The best items in the game are crafted using a solid white item from scratch, then using the different orbs to get the quality,sockets and modifiers you want.

It's not that identified items sell for more really, they just sell for "different". You get different materials/scrolls/orbs/whatever depending on the type of item and whether or not it's identified.

Id really like it if the view wasn't so zoomed in. The game feels really claustrophobic staring right over my chars shoulder.

There is something weird about the camera angle or zoom they chose which just doesn't feel as natural as D3's..

Post on their forums what you like and don't like. They respond to ideas from the community.

From what I understand, the vie is one thing they are pretty set on. Smaller viewing angle makes ranged classes more balanced with melee, and is less stressful on older hardware. I think the biggest reason though is server strain. Seeing as they are a mid budget indie company, they have to make compromises on stuff like that (like town portals disappearing in ~15 minutes)

they've heard complaints about the zoom many many times already. Don't expect any more changes (they did zoom it out a little from where it used to be :eek:). Still too close in my opinion.

I thought D3 was too close as well. There are a ton of games that I wish offered better camera zoom. Hopefully they will change it again.

they've heard complaints about the zoom many many times already. Don't expect any more changes (they did zoom it out a little from where it used to be :eek:). Still too close in my opinion.

That was my complaint when I first checked it out almost a year ago, and figured I'd just wait for them to do something about it before I tried playing again. The change they made is still much closer than the Diablo games, but it's certainly more playable than before. Once I played for a little while I got used to it and haven't really thought about it since (2650x1440 resolution).

As MisterClean said, they can't adjust the view without impacting server loads, so I think what we have is here to stay. They've at least made up for the viewing angle with some nice lighting and shadow effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back