Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody going to bite on one of the new supporter packs? I've got my eye on that Divine pack...

One thing that bothers me is how dependent melee physical characters are upon finding a great weapon. All their damage is based off it where as spells have base damage that scales as it levels and more easily benefits from percentage based bonuses. It gets very hard to advance because you're weapon doesn't have high enough base damage. Diablo 3 had the same issue, but it was for all classes.

One thing that bothers me is how dependent melee physical characters are upon finding a great weapon. All their damage is based off it where as spells have base damage that scales as it levels and more easily benefits from percentage based bonuses. It gets very hard to advance because you're weapon doesn't have high enough base damage. Diablo 3 had the same issue, but it was for all classes.

I have had no issues either finding or making a good weapon (Orbs of Alchemy).

Don't underestimate magic find/increased rarity.

Last edited:
anybody going to bite on one of the new supporter packs? I've got my eye on that Divine pack...

Me personally, no. I'll just throw a little money their way here and there. However, I saw one of the "Ruler of Wraeclast" supporters in the forums today. $12.5k for a supporter pack on a F2P game. That's some of the craziest shit I've ever seen. I mean, I love PoE and all, and I'm happy people are supporting them...but dayum.

I'm saving up for that too. I love that Tabula Rasa shirt :p

Me personally, no. I'll just throw a little money their way here and there. However, I saw one of the "Ruler of Wraeclast" supporters in the forums today. $12.5k for a supporter pack on a F2P game. That's some of the craziest shit I've ever seen. I mean, I love PoE and all, and I'm happy people are supporting them...but dayum.

That user Charan pretty much got it right after the pack was release. Must be nice having that kind of money ready to go at any time :eek:

Started anarchy, already lvl 35, Dual Claw Shadow, found a Shavronne's Pace (meh boots) and Goldrim (yay resists!) and a multistrike gem :D

Fun so far but mana starved, can't wait to get some mana leech going. Also desync is constant with this character, but I rarely die to it.

Chars name is ClawsDeep.

Rhoas have made me their bitch way too many times for me to be comfortable with one chasing me FOREVER.

Anyone ever tried vaal pact? I just upgraded weapons and miss my old life on hit. Turns out there aren't any end game loh weapons... :(

I'm 64 in Act 2 merc. My gear is so bad so I'm stuck for awhile. Anyone else playing Onslaught?

Kripp gets one-shot by Kole with 5K armor and 3600 life:

http://youtu.be/3ku_wGtRiyc

Definitely shows melee is still broke. The only option would be to run around him. Even with endruance charges and more armor, you aren't going to be able to actually kill a boss like that. You could survive a hit or two, but you aren't going to be able to do damage.

Definitely shows melee is still broke. The only option would be to run around him. Even with endruance charges and more armor, you aren't going to be able to actually kill a boss like that. You could survive a hit or two, but you aren't going to be able to do damage.

Yea I've noticed it myself, the damage is still quite spikey

Kole didn't get a buff. Kripp was fucking around with poor positioning and not paying attention, plus playing against a boss he was underleveled and undergeared for. I'd like to see map and non map boss physical damage reduced a bit, but that was a poor example all around.

Kole didn't get a buff. Kripp was fucking around with poor positioning and not paying attention, plus playing against a boss he was underleveled and undergeared for. I'd like to see map and non map boss physical damage reduced a bit, but that was a poor example all around.

So you are only supposed to do content for which you are extremely over leveled and over geared so you can avoid getting killed in one shot? Are you supposed to grind to 75 in docks just so you can clear high 60s areas to beat the game? And if krip was in poor position, what does a truly melee character do? Ask a ranged friend to help? Skip it entirely? It all sounds like bad design to me, especially when even people in softcore are saying that you need to really out level and out gear things.

So you are only supposed to do content for which you are extremely over leveled and over geared so you can avoid getting killed in one shot? Are you supposed to grind to 75 in docks just so you can clear high 60s areas to beat the game? And if krip was in poor position, what does a truly melee character do? Ask a ranged friend to help? Skip it entirely? It all sounds like bad design to me, especially when even people in softcore are saying that you need to really out level and out gear things.

You don't need to be level 75 to finish Act 3 merciless. Melee or otherwise. Any fucking build can avoid being splatted by Kole. Kripp jammed himself in a stupid position and didn't see a completely telegraphed attack come his way, didn't notice Kole was coming after him and didn't use any sort of defensive/movement ability or flask. He lost a couple hundred hp post-patch, gained some mitigation but Kole got zero buffs. Kole was impossible before? No, he was not.

Notice how quickly Kole died after Kripp died?

No...Krip should have
A. Enfeebled, which, I'll quote a reddit poster:
He got pretty unlucky, but at the same time, whoever on the stream saying he should have had Kole enfeebled was right. Kripp brushed the comment away by saying it's only 16% damage reduction because curses are only half as effective against bosses, but I think he knew deep down that's not the whole truth. For one thing, Kole only has 40% reduced effectiveness. Enfeeble would have reduced damage and crit multiplier by 19.2%.

Lets say a mob does 100 damage with a crit multiplier of 130% (this is the default for mobs). Reducing it's damage by 19.2% reduces the base hit to 80.8, and reducing its crit multiplier by 19.2% reduces it to 105%. The crit damage, then, is 80.8 x 1.05 for 84.8, which is 34.7% less than the crit damage without enfeeble (130).

That's essentially a 35% reduction, so an enfeebled crit is still significantly less powerful, boss or not. I think it's pretty safe to say that Kripp would still be alive had Kole been enfeebled instead of another damage curse.

edit: I forgot to mention, it's actually even more than 35%! Kripp's armor would have mitigated more of the hit, so the end result would have been a crit that hit for close to half as hard, and he definitely would have survived.

B. Played more conservatively. You *can* avoid attacks in PoE (unlike another ARPG), and that is part of the gameplay. I've died many a times to Kole and knew why every time (usually trying to get that last % off him while stacking mf gear)

No...Krip should have
A. Enfeebled, which, I'll quote a reddit poster:

B. Played more conservatively. You *can* avoid attacks in PoE (unlike another ARPG), and that is part of the gameplay. I've died many a times to Kole and knew why every time (usually trying to get that last % off him while stacking mf gear)

How does a melee character attack Kole and avoid his attacks? Enfeeble would have gotten him into 2 shot territory. What is the melee character going to do that has to be in melee range the entire time? Run around in circles and chip away for half an hour while going to town every 30 seconds to refill granites and health potions so they don't die to the 2 shot?

It's not just Kole. It's every boss of this nature. Melee is not viable in this game. They need to come out and say it and get rid of the skills so we can stop wasting our time.

How does a melee character attack Kole and avoid his attacks? Enfeeble would have gotten him into 2 shot territory. What is the melee character going to do that has to be in melee range the entire time? Run around in circles and chip away for half an hour while going to town every 30 seconds to refill granites and health potions so they don't die to the 2 shot?

It's not just Kole. It's every boss of this nature. Melee is not viable in this game. They need to come out and say it and get rid of the skills so we can stop wasting our time.

Well, since you seem to need to have it spelled out...

Kole has a directional skill that takes approximately 1.5 seconds to "cast" that does a very large amount of damage; as well as a weaker, shorter "cast" attack. A melee player can safely eat the latter (which is quickly recovered with LGoH or Leech), but must pay attention to avoid the former. To do so, he must watch for the animation of the attack (which is easy to see), and then move around/away from Kole when he initiates it.

Melee is viable in the game, but it is significantly harder. Desync makes it really rough at times, but still viable.

I don't know why they don't just fix armor so that 35% damage reduction is actually 35% damage reduction regadless of what hit you and for how much.

I mean, they claim that they wanted to fix the spikey damage. Well, the way they have armor set lends itself to spikey damage.

Fixing desync would also be okay.

Last edited:
Quit spamming a single ability and learn how to deal with different types of threats. I'm impressed that Act 3 Kole is somehow a source of trouble.

I don't know why they don't just fix armor so that 35% damage reduction is actually 35% damage reduction regadless of what hit you and for how much.

Fixing desync would also be okay.

Some diminishing returns for armour are an OK mechanic. When it gets to the point of halving (or more) your mitigation, things have gone too far.

Well, since you seem to need to have it spelled out...

Kole has a directional skill that takes approximately 1.5 seconds to "cast" that does a very large amount of damage; as well as a weaker, shorter "cast" attack. A melee player can safely eat the latter (which is quickly recovered with LGoH or Leech), but must pay attention to avoid the former. To do so, he must watch for the animation of the attack (which is easy to see), and then move around/away from Kole when he initiates it.

Melee is viable in the game, but it is significantly harder. Desync makes it really rough at times, but still viable.

Quit spamming a single ability and learn how to deal with different types of threats. I'm impressed that Act 3 Kole is somehow a source of trouble.

:rolleyes:

It's not about just Kole. It's the complete lack of balance between ranged and melee. Melee is completely gimped in this game. There is no way to deny it. Ranged can do EVERYTHING faster, safer, and overall more efficiently than melee characters. It's not even close. Simply being able to kill something doesn't make melee "viable."

And god forbid you don't have insane attack speed and you're stuck mid animation when these guys decide to do their massive attacks. The mechanics make all these things MANDATORY. You have to have a ton of lifesteal. You have to have insane attack speed. You have to get endurance charges. This game is supposed to be about build diversity, but it's just not.

Last edited:

It's not about just Kole. It's the complete lack of balance between ranged and melee. Melee is completely gimped in this game. There is no way to deny it. Ranged can do EVERYTHING faster, safer, and overall more efficiently than melee characters. It's not even close. Simply being able to kill something doesn't make melee "viable."

And god forbid you don't have insane attack speed and you're stuck mid animation when these guys decide to do their massive attacks.

Post patch i at least feel like i have a roll. I play with my fire mage buddy; his job is to aoe the groups, mine is to nuke the hell out of scary targets (like those lightening witches in act 3), tank, and help clean up stragglers.

Some bosses though have some OP moves. Kole does his one-shot ability often too quick to react (read the slow cast/attack speed comment above). I've been one-shot on my mage a few times by that.

Also, Vaal Overseer's lightening beam has dependably been the bane of every character i've pit against him. he looks at my max resists and says "HAH!" as he one-shots me anyway. Pretty sure there's no way to tell if that move is coming either. Talk about cheap.

Post patch i at least feel like i have a roll. I play with my fire mage buddy; his job is to aoe the groups, mine is to nuke the hell out of scary targets (like those lightening witches in act 3), tank, and help clean up stragglers.

Some bosses though have some OP moves. Kole does his one-shot ability often too quick to react (read the slow cast/attack speed comment above). I've been one-shot on my mage a few times by that.

Also, Vaal Overseer's lightening beam has dependably been the bane of every character i've pit against him. he looks at my max resists and says "HAH!" as he one-shots me anyway. Pretty sure there's no way to tell if that move is coming either. Talk about cheap.

Vaal does switch to his gun for the beam, but if you're far away you might not see it.

Vaal does switch to his gun for the beam, but if you're far away you might not see it.

LOLOL

no shit.

I can't believe i'm JUST now realizing that as he spins his arms he's switching weapons >_<

I am such a fnoob sometimes.

Thanks, btw. Hopefully i'll die to him less now.

And god forbid you don't have insane attack speed and you're stuck mid animation when these guys decide to do their massive attacks. The mechanics make all these things MANDATORY. You have to have a ton of lifesteal. You have to have insane attack speed. You have to get endurance charges. This game is supposed to be about build diversity, but it's just not.

Let me make this simple for you,

You're bad at videogames and melee is "hard mode" in PoE. Now go play D3, scrub.

<3 Toodles

No, those things aren't mandatory. Attack speed, maybe. Believe it or not, there are skills and methods that help you avoid the small handful of Kole style mobs in the late game. Traps, totems, movement skills... No, you can't go blow for blow standing right in front of Vaal OS or Kole without moving, which is intended.

TBH, melee builds can easily have as much or more dps than ranged characters, too. Yes, ranged have the obvious advantage of being less likely to get hit by physical damage. The only things I'd really like to see are more offensive melee skills that offer defensive bonus at the same time and better pure mitigation for defensive attributes.

Let me make this simple for you,

You're bad at videogames and melee is "hard mode" in PoE. Now go play D3, scrub.

<3 Toodles

And how far have you gotten without dying while playing a melee character? Have fun in scrubcore.

No, those things aren't mandatory. Attack speed, maybe. Believe it or not, there are skills and methods that help you avoid the small handful of Kole style mobs in the late game. Traps, totems, movement skills... No, you can't go blow for blow standing right in front of Vaal OS or Kole without moving, which is intended.

TBH, melee builds can easily have as much or more dps than ranged characters, too. Yes, ranged have the obvious advantage of being less likely to get hit by physical damage. The only things I'd really like to see are more offensive melee skills that offer defensive bonus at the same time and better pure mitigation for defensive attributes.

The problem isn't the damage output. It has never been that. The problem is you ARE going to get hit. And it's going to do a shit load of damage. Decoy totems will get one shot just like you get one shot if the mobs even decide to attack them. No one is even talking about going "blow for blow."

The game is simply not balanced. Not even close. If you deny that, you're a blind fanboy or you're delusional.

Last edited:
The problem isn't the damage output. It has never been that. The problem is you ARE going to get hit. And it's going to do a shit load of damage. Decoy totems will get one shot just like you get one shot if the mobs even decide to attack them. No one is even talking about going "blow for blow."

The game is simply not balanced. Not even close. If you deny that, you're a blind fanboy or you're delusional.

I didn't say it was balanced. Melee mitigation is still clearly something that needs to be worked on. I've posted my thoughts on how to balance this better several times. It's just that there are methods of reducing those issues that are very often overlooked. (bear traps, decoy totems, endurance charges, movement gems, minions, stuns)

The big issue is balancing defensives in a way that doesn't buff caster and ranged classes too much at the same time. Which is why I suggest defensive components added to melee only offensive skills (ie. temporary reduced physical dmg, mitigation, crit lifesteals). Plus map bosses hitting for 10k or taking 20k in reflect needs to be adjusted.

TBH, I prefer to play melee in games like this, but made a minion witch way back because there were even more issues with pure melee classes back then.

I didn't say it was balanced. Melee mitigation is still clearly something that needs to be worked on. I've posted my thoughts on how to balance this better several times. It's just that there are methods of reducing those issues that are very often overlooked. (bear traps, decoy totems, endurance charges, movement gems, minions, stuns)

The big issue is balancing defensives in a way that doesn't buff caster and ranged classes too much at the same time. Which is why I suggest defensive components added to melee only offensive skills (ie. temporary reduced physical dmg, mitigation, crit lifesteals). Plus map bosses hitting for 10k or taking 20k in reflect needs to be adjusted.

TBH, I prefer to play melee in games like this, but made a minion witch way back because there were even more issues with pure melee classes back then.

So we agree.

Anyway, I found a multistrike a little while ago. It wasn't in the game the last time I played. I popped it in with my Ground Slam. It's got to be the goofiest looking skill combo I've seen lol

Are there any good recipies for uniques? I found 3 tonight, all crap.

You can reroll their stats with orbs, but the only real way to craft uniques is with chances. Keep in mind, many "crap" uniques are good for certain builds. I can run lvl 72 maps while wearing two such crap uniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back