P5L-MX cpu upgrade question.

Everything went great! Installed both the Rosewill PSU and 4GB of G-SKILL ram today.

I have a question about my CPU temps. I've seated my CPU 4 times to make sure it was correct. The X6800 idle temps are between 40 - 45c but under load it goes up to 60c.. During the windows experience index it hit 70c.

Is this normal for X6800 temp?

I'm using the stock heatsink and some off brand white thermal grease.

I have Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro coming in the mail along with Arctic silver 5. I hope this will help... i'm scared to run it in the meantime :(

:(

The Dark Night heatsink is too tall for my case. I didn't realize my case was this compact. I ordered it thinking it would fit.. The case is 7.1inches wide while the heatsink is 6.2inches tall.

So I will lose a few dollars on the RMA back to newegg. But in the meantime I ordered the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro to take its place.

The Arctic Coolers are 5inchs tall.

35-186-134-01.JPG
Got the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro today in the mail! Just finish installing it.. My idle temps are 35c. The stock heatsink idle temp were 42c. I am very happy about load temps :) The stock would reach 60-70c. Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 is 50-60c

Basically we're looking at a 10c drop average.

It's a great cooler in it's price range and for its size.
I may dabble in some Overclocking because of it. I'm thinking about a 5% overclock using the bios AI option. you know, just to get the X6800 over 3.0ghz hump.

oh yeah, I should be getting the 4870 tomorrow. Happy days indeed :D

Went into the bios and overclock this puppy 20% The Asus board said HELL NAW!! and gave me the BSOD! LOL So I backed off to 15%. Everything is running fine so far. I have the 2.93ghz C2D running at 3.36ghz. The bus went up to 305 from 266. Core temps went up 2c

Went into the bios and overclock this puppy 20% The Asus board said HELL NAW!! and gave me the BSOD! LOL So I backed off to 15%. Everything is running fine so far. I have the 2.93ghz C2D running at 3.36ghz. The bus went up to 305 from 266. Core temps went up 2c

Check out the OCing guide around here for C2D's. If you tweak your settings manually, you can probably get a higher OC than that.

Back