P5L-MX cpu upgrade question.

Are you looking for New or Used? Honestly, you can get some great deals right here in the FS/FT forum if you don't mind used stuff. Just make sure you check the heatware first.

I'm not particular... as-long as it doesn't smell like smoke, lol

PSU is pretty much bought after the list you guys suggested.

Now here comes the hard part.. Getting both the e6700 and 4850 for under $250.

Guess what I did today.. bought a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800!!! Absolutely the fastest processor for this board. And will be getting the ATI 4870 graphics card next month.

With this I bet my PC is one of the more powerful computers on here :p

Guess what I did today.. bought a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800!!! Absolutely the fastest processor for this board. And will be getting the ATI 4870 graphics card next month.

With this I bet my PC is one of the more powerful computers on here :p

How much did you get the X6800 for?
What PSU did you buy?

Not terrible, but it's still a bit pricey for an older Core 2 Duo, even an Extreme Edition. Considering your board doesn't support newer chips though, you didn't do too badly.
I don't know...they are old but online be prepared to pay upwards on $600 to $1,000!! I guess they have some sentimental value.

Yes, but what PSU is it?

I haven't look yet since I'll be bidding on Ebay for one.. no, reason to look now. But I know what to look for thanks to the suggestions in this thread.

Make sure you post here before you pull the trigger, so we can make sure that you don't end up with a dud.

I'd just get DDR2 800 memory for the same price. Just get it with Cas 5 and make sure it runs at 1.8V and you should be fine.

Check.

Now its time for me to get serious about a PSU for ATI's 4780 i'm getting at the end of the month.. and I'll be finish!

Not a good choice. The GS-550 is from the older series of BFG PSUs, and isn't particularly good.
I know you may disapprove of this but I bought this yesterday..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182062

Newegg has a deal on this until March 15th (originally $70)

There was a deal shocker yesterday for $49. I use the promo code(promo code RW80) and got it for $39 with free shipping!

With the money I saved I also bought this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231120

4gigs of G-Skill ram!

If the QX6700 works, then the Q6600 should also work. I'd look at that as it is much cheaper.

After reading this i'm not going to trust that compatibility list. I likely would have a CPU ID error like this guy trying a Q6700. http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...oard_id=1&model=P5L-MX&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I'm going to keep my X6800. I read a few X6800 Vs Quad articles and the Core 2 Duo beats the quads in almost everything except Video Encoding. I know in the future this will change when developers start to program for Quads more.

Newegg has a deal on this until March 15th (originally $70)

There was a deal shocker yesterday for $49. I use the promo code(promo code RW80) and got it for $39 with free shipping!

With the money I saved I also bought this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231120

4gigs of G-Skill ram!
I definitely do disapprove of that, since you could have gotten this significantly better PSU for just $30 after rebate: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033817393#post1033817393

If you can cancel or change your order, I suggest you do it immediately.
I read a few X6800 Vs Quad articles and the Core 2 Duo beats the quads in almost everything except Video Encoding.
That is just due to the clock speed advantage. A quad-core running at the same speed as a dual-core will be equally fast or faster in every situation.

I definitely do disapprove of that, since you could have gotten this significantly better PSU for just $30 after rebate: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033817393#post1033817393

I understand Rosewill has little respect here but I did read reviews from customers over 300 people.. and looked up videos on youtube of Rosewill powered PCs. I feel confident in my purchase.

There are good and bad reviews for even the best PSUs. I've read just as many defective PSU stories on Corsair and other mainstream PSUs. Buying anything electronic there's no guarantee.

I know some PSUs manufacturers are bad.. but Its beginning to look a lot like the monster cable market out here. I believe a lot of people are being had..

You don't have to break the bank to get a quality PSU.

I understand Rosewill has little respect here but I did read reviews from customers over 300 people.. and looked up videos on youtube of Rosewill powered PCs. I feel confident in my purchase.

There are good and bad reviews for even the best PSUs. I've read just as many defective PSU stories on Corsair and other mainstream PSUs. Buying anything electronic there's no guarantee.

I know some PSUs manufacturers are bad.. but Its beginning to look a lot like the monster cable market out here. I believe a lot of people are being had..
Customer reviews mean nothing, since you need to perform properly rigourous testing in order to determine the quality of a PSU. And I can tell you with absolute certainty that that Rosewill PSU is not a good unit. Whether or not you want to change your order, don't delude yourself into thinking that it is. See here for an example of Rosewill's "quality": http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYwOSw5LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
You don't have to break the bank to get a quality PSU.
No, you don't. The Corsair PSU I linked you to is proof of that. However, the Rosewill unit you purchased is most certainly not a quality PSU.

I concur with Zero82z 100%. That was not a good move:

It's a 600W PSU with only 35A on the +12V rail. That's a big warning sign right there considering that there are many 450W to 500W PSUs with that much amperage on the +12V rail. In addition, the PSU has an enormous +5V rail which shows that this PSU is oriented towards older +5V based systems, not today's modern +12V based systems.

That 600W PSU shares the same manufacturer as this failed Rosewill PSU (ATNG):
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYwOSw4LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

However, do note that ATNG can and does make high quality PSUs when they're asked to. Rosewill doesn't ask them to make good quality PSUs often.

When it comes to power supplies, take Newegg reviews with a grain of salt. A vast majority of Newegg PSU reviews are written by noobs, ignorant, idiots, stupid or otherwise not PSU savvy people. When it comes to PSUs, stick to PSUs that have been properly tested by sites like www.hardocp.com or www.jonnyguru.com

So definitely cancel the order ASAP unless you love to fuck up your hardware or something.

When it comes to power supplies, take Newegg reviews with a grain of salt. A vast majority of Newegg PSU reviews are written by noobs, ignorant, idiots, stupid or otherwise not PSU savvy people. When it comes to PSUs, stick to PSUs that have been properly tested by sites like www.hardocp.com or www.jonnyguru.com

I read the review on the Rosewill RP500 on jonnyguru.com and It done quite well. "phenomenal" is how they put it.

Rosewill has awesome support and stands behind their product. That's one thing that caught my eye. You see them responding to complaints on newegg and offering solutions. Corsair does this as well. I like to see this, it shows they have faith in their products.

Customer reviews mean nothing, since you need to perform properly rigourous testing in order to determine the quality of a PSU. And I can tell you with absolute certainty that that Rosewill PSU is not a good unit.
You may not like the brand I ordered but you helped out a lot by showing me the right amperage and wattage I need for my upgrade. I sincerely thank you for that.

I read the review on the Rosewill RP500 on jonnyguru.com and It done quite well. "phenomenal" is how they put it.

Yeah and if you clicked on the link Zero82z and I both provided, you would have seen that HardOCP reviewed the exact the same PSU and it failed horribly.

Look, yes Rosewill probably has decent support but you ignored all of the problems I just listed about that particular Rosewill PSU. Good support does not make up for such a low quality POS PSU. Especially if there was a better quality PSU and one that has been CONFIRMED to be capable of providing its rated wattage like the $50 Corsair 400CX PSU Zero82z recommended. There's not an ounce of proof that shows that Rosewill PSU you bought is capable of providing it's paltry 35A on the +12V rail whereas there's at least some proof showing that the PSU is not capable of providing its amperage.

Yeah and if you clicked on the link Zero82z and I both provided, you would have seen that HardOCP reviewed the exact the same PSU and it failed horribly.
It does tell you something when you get totally different results from reviewers.

There's not an ounce of proof that shows that Rosewill PSU you bought is capable of providing it's paltry 35A on the +12V rail whereas there's at least some proof showing that the PSU is not capable of providing its amperage.
True. There's no way of knowing because the PSU I purchase hasn't been reviewed. We can only go by customer feedback, which is exceptional.

You may not like the brand I ordered
Whether I like it or not doesn't change the fact that it's a poor-quality PSU.
It does tell you something when you get totally different results from reviewers.
The JonnyGURU review is from January of 2007. The HardOCP review is from two months ago. It seems obvious that the [H] review is more representative of the current situation.
True. There's no way of knowing because the PSU I purchase hasn't been reviewed. We can only go by customer feedback, which is exceptional.
Exceptional, but meaningless for the reasons I explained before. But if you want to ignore every piece of advice I gave you and buy a shitty PSU, it's your money.

But if you want to ignore every piece of advice I gave you and buy a shitty PSU, it's your money.
As I mention before..I bought the PSU.

No need to cop feelings. You helped me for what I originally asked "what type of power I need for the 4870" and I thank you for that.

I did asked about good brands(this seems to differ from whom I asked) but after reading defective tales for ALL PSUs I decided to go Rosewill base on value and quality. Condemning a whole company base on one review(not the same PSU) seems foolish.. especially when results differ from time to time from each reviewer. Has Corsair ever failed one of these stress tests? I'm sure they have... God knows I read horror stories Corsair's PSUs Just like I read about Rosewill.

What really push me over is seeing people using them on much more demanding PC then I have on youtube. This removes the scare tactic "your pc going to blow up if you use this psu" very quickly.

I did asked about good brands(this seems to differ from whom I asked) but after reading defective tales for ALL PSUs I decided to go Rosewill base on value and quality. Condemning a whole company base on one review(not the same PSU) seems foolish.. especially when results differ from time to time from each reviewer. Has Corsair ever failed one of these stress tests? I'm sure they have... God knows I read horror stories Corsair's PSUs Just like I read about Rosewill.

What really push me over is seeing people using them on much more demanding PC then I have on youtube. This removes the scare tactic "your pc going to blow up if you use this psu" very quickly.

Issue with those videos: Most of them more than likely have only shown the PSU running for a few months at most. Second, a crappy PSU does not always kill a PC right away. They can kill a PC slowly over time. Just because you don't see the problem right away does not mean the problem is not there.

And yes there are still bad experiences with Corsair PSUs. However, those are a very very small minority considering the how vast Corsair's user base is. Also note that those who complain are generally the loudest whereas those with good experiences rarely post.

I've already provided the reasons why that Rosewill PSU you chose was a poor choice: Low amperage for the rated wattage, based on a older PSU design not meant for current and modern systems, no proof that it can actually provide that 35A, and made by ATNG which Rosewill has shown to be capable of making poor PSUs. Yes there are good ATNG Rosewill PSUs out there. However, those ATNG made Rosewill PSUs do not have the same major issues as the ATNG made Rosewill PSU you chose.

No need to cop feelings. You helped me for what I originally asked "what type of power I need for the 4870" and I thank you for that.
Well, you'll excuse me if I feel that I've wasted my time with you considering you've gone against every recommendation that I've made.
Condemning a whole company base on one review(not the same PSU) seems foolish..
Except the one you bought is the same, just a higher-wattage model. It's the same line and uses the same platform. So there's no reason to believe that it's any better, lacking evidence to the contrary (user reviews don't count - it's been explained why already).
Has Corsair ever failed one of these stress tests? I'm sure they have...
They haven't, actually.
God knows I read horror stories Corsair's PSUs Just like I read about Rosewill.
Every line has its defective units. What matters is the consistency, and Corsair's PSUs have a significantly lower failure rate percentage-wise compared to lower-quality units that aren't capable of delivering their rated power quantities. I'm just using Corsair as an example - they aren't even the best.
I'd be willing to bet that these PCs still don't require a whole lot of power. And I also doubt that any of these people were capable of measuring voltage fluctuations or ripple, both of which were out of specification during HardOCP's review of that other Rosewill unit. Out of spec ripple and voltages will cause severe long-term damage to other computer components since they are only designed to function while powered by a PSU that meets the ATX spec. So even if your PC works for a while, down the road it will start to die slowly if it is receiving power that is not clean. And without actually testing it, it is impossible to tell whether or not your PSU is putting out clean power.

Like I said, it's your money. But don't delude yourself into thinking that the PSU you bought is a good one, because it isn't.

If it works for you and you're happy with it, that's really all that matters.

Okay, I just bought this for my CPU cooling.

Review: Dark Knight-S1283V

xigmatek_s1283v_13822.jpg

xigmatek_s1283v_11571.jpg

xigmatek_s1283v_10274.jpg

That's a nice cooler. I might not get the Dark Knight version as it is probably a little more expensive.

:(

The Dark Night heatsink is too tall for my case. I didn't realize my case was this compact. I ordered it thinking it would fit.. The case is 7.1inches wide while the heatsink is 6.2inches tall.

So I will lose a few dollars on the RMA back to newegg. But in the meantime I ordered the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro to take its place.

The Arctic Coolers are 5inchs tall.

35-186-134-01.JPG

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3210&p=6

ArcticCoolingFreezer7ProLoad.jpg

If you haven't ordered yet, I'd look at the Thermalright Ultima 90 as it is almost on par with the larger 120mm fan HSF's yet is smaller.

The AC Freezer 7 Pro isn't bad, but it is pretty costly at Newegg compared to other places and doesn't cool as well as newer heatsinks.

If you haven't ordered yet, I'd look at the Thermalright Ultima 90 as it is almost on par with the larger 120mm fan HSF's yet is smaller.

The AC Freezer 7 Pro isn't bad, but it is pretty costly at Newegg compared to other places and doesn't cool as well as newer heatsinks.

Thermalright Ultima 90 would be best but alas, I went the ebay route earlier with the Arctic Cooler. Got it for $20 with free shipping.

One thing I don't understand about Thermalright is why don't their cpu heatsinks come with fans? ..just not very convenient.

One thing I don't understand about Thermalright is why don't their cpu heatsinks come with fans? ..just not very convenient.

Most of Thermalright's users/customers/client base prefer having a choice when it comes to fans and rather pick their own fan rather than use the stock fan. So most of them don't feel like paying for a fan they're gonna drop anyway.

Thermalright Ultima 90 would be best but alas, I went the ebay route earlier with the Arctic Cooler. Got it for $20 with free shipping.

That's a pretty good price for that cooler. For $20 shipped, you can't beat it.

That's a pretty good price for that cooler. For $20 shipped, you can't beat it.
I'm going over budget.

This was originally only going to be a CPU and GPU swap. Now here I am buying Ram, PSU, and fans.

But there's this satisfaction you get after building/upgrading your PC. Its like working on your own Car and driving it.

Well, in my case, my Jeep ;). I don't touch my car unless I change the oil :p.

Back