OYUA is going to be crap and i already kickstarted it :(

As a perk of Kickstarting they get their unit early in a beta state. This was spelled out in plain English, I don't know why people are surprised by this.

The Beta State was NOT spelled out at all in the original Kickstarter page.

You are free to go open it up and look up the words beta, i can assure you, they are not there.

The Beta State was NOT spelled out at all in the original Kickstarter page.

You are free to go open it up and look up the words beta, i can assure you, they are not there.

Allow me to rephrase and not use the word beta.

When you get something months before an official release and expect it to be an official final product. People are silly if they thought otherwise, that's exactly what I was expecting from Kickstarter. Which is why I opted for pre-order instead. The world doesn't revolve around them. This is just as bad as some of the other complaints going on right now. "Oh no they're shipping out of order" and "Hey I Kicked for limited edition, I paid more money, I should get mine first." It really sounds like a bunch of spoiled children. This is most definitely not the pinnacle of human intelligence or civility, that's for sure. :)

That's not a fair comparison. Raspberry Pi is only $35. Ouya is $100. For almost 3x the price, it better be way better than the Raspberry.

That $100 also include the controller which alone is $50. So the console itself is only ~$50.

It was a nice concept - the low overhead/costs for developers making their games on the console. But otherwise it is essentially a tablet, with no screen, and not mobile. It does come with a controller that might turn out to be decent.

There won't be many good gamer type games on a tablet like device, which is obvious. The controller does allow for better gaming than a basic touch pad, but otherwise I don't see the point. You might as well buy low budget indie games on Steam and use a $35 Xbox 360 controller, which has nice support and is of great quality. And everyone has a laptop - which will run any tablet style game with ease.

This will be great for emulation.

Of course, once they fix the controller.

And how do you figure the controller is $50?

ouya.png

Its a simple fact that computer hardware progresses, I find it laughable that people want it to stay the same. We always had a solution to all your lame problems, its called a freaking PC, 1 powerful PC will do everything, it will run games, support controllers, run emulators, everything. If more people would just accept that it would all be a lot easier, every couple years you upgrade your one PC that's it. Instead in some backwards attempt to try ot save money we end up spending more because we got a crappy PC, some laptop, then a console or 3, a couple tablets etc.....

OUYA was a joke from the beginning given that just about anything that will run on android could be emulated on a PC. Get blue stacks or something. Don't expect a $100 ARM CPU to be a gaming beast. Its for people who cant figure any of this out.

Its a simple fact that computer hardware progresses, I find it laughable that people want it to stay the same. We always had a solution to all your lame problems, its called a freaking PC, 1 powerful PC will do everything, it will run games, support controllers, run emulators, everything. If more people would just accept that it would all be a lot easier, every couple years you upgrade your one PC that's it. Instead in some backwards attempt to try ot save money we end up spending more because we got a crappy PC, some laptop, then a console or 3, a couple tablets etc.....

OUYA was a joke from the beginning given that just about anything that will run on android could be emulated on a PC. Get blue stacks or something. Don't expect a $100 ARM CPU to be a gaming beast. Its for people who cant figure any of this out.

yes, one pc would work for a one person household. many households consist of multiple users who want/need to consume/create content at the same time. Sometimes it makes more sense to have multiple devices that are designed to do specific tasks instead of a single "do it all" PC.

yes, one pc would work for a one person household. many households consist of multiple users who want/need to consume/create content at the same time. Sometimes it makes more sense to have multiple devices that are designed to do specific tasks instead of a single "do it all" PC.

Mainframes! Have a house computer, wait call it a "cloud hub" and everyone else uses laptops with just a screen and a keyboard and a wireless card.. Then one for the TV...

Hmm... The one for this house would be pretty scary...

Mainframes! Have a house computer, wait call it a "cloud hub" and everyone else uses laptops with just a screen and a keyboard and a wireless card.. Then one for the TV...

Hmm... The one for this house would be pretty scary...

you are describing a thin client solution. I believe a variation of that is going to be "the future" and some people have already built custom solutions like that. I think some cable tv providers are already offering centralized dvr systems that stream content to any other box in the house.

At this point why build a $3k server to render/stream media and some of these laptop thin clients when you can buy a few $300 tablets or cheap set top systems (like the oyua) and a NAS that can do the same thing AND you won't have a single point of failure... except the NAS, hah.

you are describing a thin client solution. I believe a variation of that is going to be "the future" and some people have already built custom solutions like that. I think some cable tv providers are already offering centralized dvr systems that stream content to any other box in the house.

At this point why build a $3k server to render/stream media and some of these laptop thin clients when you can buy a few $300 tablets or cheap set top systems (like the oyua) and a NAS that can do the same thing AND you won't have a single point of failure... except the NAS, hah.

Most DVR systems now a days stream to the other PCs.

Dish: Hopper --> The "additional" tv's (Joey boxes) are thin-clients that stream from the hopper.

DTV: Genie --> Similar to the Hopper, they've had "whole house DVR" for a while (streamed to the boxes).

Cable does similar, as well as CenturyLink.

This is why I was hoping the Xbox720+XboxMini (or whatever) could pause a game-session and then pick it up at the other box (Ie: Stream it to the mini, incase your roommates wanted the main TV).

This is why I was hoping the Xbox720+XboxMini (or whatever) could pause a game-session and then pick it up at the other box (Ie: Stream it to the mini, incase your roommates wanted the main TV).

Eh, we're still a way from that being feasible. Latency is too much of an issue in gaming.

Eh, we're still a way from that being feasible. Latency is too much of an issue in gaming.

true that i have a great example of how latency can make a game unplayable putting my ps3 through my logitech revue added enough latency to make playing mass effect impossible the decryption puzzles would fail before i could press a button by plugging my ps3 directly into my tv the issue went away and i had about 5 seconds for each button press

now apply this to streaming and you would not be able to do timing puzzles now think of just how many games require precision timing for either puzzles or game play...

to fix this the devs could add a latency adjustment setting where it will skew the puzzles and timers in the game to allow for a slower response time from the added latency.

Might be closer than you think. I believe the PS Vita and PS4 are rumored to allow this functionality. There are entire segments of the industry working on cloud based gaming (thinclient, server handles the heavy loading).

Yup and nVidia is also releasing an Android tablet that streams from your desktop.

One of my friends is backer 129x and still doesn't have a console. He ordered an extra controller which apparently could cause a delay, but this is ridiculous.

so what is the power of this thing? Game Cube? Xbox? SNES? N64? PS2? where does this thing sit?

Endgaget indicates that the controller is crap

so what is the power of this thing? Game Cube? Xbox? SNES? N64? PS2? where does this thing sit?

Definitely not bad at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmvJxbHWZSU&hd=1

Basically a slightly more optimized system for a bit higher than this level of quality. Perfectly acceptable for a $99 device.

They're a bunch of dumb s**** who jumped the gun on a pre-release early backer unit not meant for media review. Just so they could take advantage of ad revenue from visitor traffic.

Though on a related note, OUYA is supposed to have made the button holes slightly bigger so it's a non issue, even if you mash the button excessively hard like an Endgaget . lol

Last edited:
Definitely not bad at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmvJxbHWZSU&hd=1

Basically a slightly more optimized system for a bit higher than this level of quality. Perfectly acceptable for a $99 device.

They're a bunch of dumb s**** who jumped the gun on a pre-release early backer unit not meant for media review. Just so they could take advantage of ad revenue from visitor traffic.

Though on a related note, OUYA is supposed to have made the button holes slightly bigger so it's a non issue, even if you mash the button excessively hard like an Endgaget . lol

So it's ok that the early backers get shit units? They paid in the money, they should get something decent. There is nothing to indicate final controllers will be high quality.

<.< i had forgotten this thread.

I am sorry but whoever said "mash the buttons excessively hard", yeah, you aren't a gamer.

There is no such thing as "excessively hard" when pressing a button while gaming.

Graphics power matches current consoles and memory is good enough but the processor might hold it back to not achieving games much better then Wii, gamecube, ps2 or orginal Xbox.

What portion of that led you to say that it's "graphics power matches current consoles"?

Well, on a small screen like 480x854 it would be able to drive most 360 games with similar visuals.

So with HD gaming it might not match Xbox 360's 1280x720 visuals it would probably do just fine on the smaller screen.

I guess it practically just boils down to how picky you are.

1) That resolution is less than 45% that of 720p.

2) GFLOPs aren't everything. The bandwidth of SoC gpu's is terrible compared to even consoles, greatly affecting the possible texture performance.

So, it would be the same, except that not at all.

2) GFLOPs aren't everything. The bandwidth of SoC gpu's is terrible compared to even consoles, greatly affecting the possible texture performance.

True, Kinda like saying the 360's graphics card drives simular visuals to modern pc games. While technically true the cards still are very different in power and the pc can drive higher resolutions and push a lot more data faster.

Backed this and still don't have mine. Even got a DHL tracking number 12 days ago...which still doesn't work on DHL. I expected to get this a month ago at least. I'm quite soured by that alone, but for what I intend to use it for (a stream/internet box to replace a space-hogging laptop hooked to my tv) I guess i can wait.

GFLOPs aren't everything, but I do want to point out that the Tegra 4 has a GFLOPS rating of 74.8 while the Xenos chip of the 360 is capable of 240.

So as you said, it would be the same, except not at all :p

Lol i didn't bother to note the numbers of the Xbox 360, i just assumed that since the fella was praising it so much the Tegra 4 would at least match it.

So yup, not at all :)

Backed this and still don't have mine. Even got a DHL tracking number 12 days ago...which still doesn't work on DHL. I expected to get this a month ago at least. I'm quite soured by that alone, but for what I intend to use it for (a stream/internet box to replace a space-hogging laptop hooked to my tv) I guess i can wait.

I just got my shipping notice today. I'm having it shipped to my parents in Florida, so they can box it with some of my other stuff and send it over to Japan. It's going to be a good month before I get to play mine, minimum.

The latter part is on me (and something I did intentionally), I'm not bitter about that. I am a bit upset about the March 2013 est. delivery date that became late May for me. Especially if the input lag and controller issues are huge/not fixed. The controller is, after all, one of the main reasons I got this.

Try your tracking number here: http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/

Back