OYUA is going to be crap and i already kickstarted it :(

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
just saw this article

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/07/ouya-annual/

they are planning to release a new one each year. that means you will be spending like 100 dollars each year to be up to date. that cost sure adds up fast and it will prob never be as powerful as a modern console and will end up costing more expensive in the long run.

I liked how the question about backwards compatibility was completely sidestepped.

But don't fret, nervous game buyer. Uhrman assured us that "all the games will be backward compatible" going forward. When pushed on how this will work, she said, "The games will be tied to you, the gamer," (like Steam is now) rather than tying your game licenses to the hardware you purchased (like, say, Nintendo's Wii U).

Yeah, it'll be backwards compatible in that your games are tied to your account...wait, what?

This is why I still don't get the appeal of this 'kickstarter' shit and I refuse to put money towards any of it.

OUYA just plays android games with some controller support added in. Dont see what the big deal is. There was never going to be many OUYA exclusives anyway.

OUYA just plays android games with some controller support added in. Dont see what the big deal is. There was never going to be many OUYA exclusives anyway.

This.

Why is it that people acted like they were expecting it to be the next Nintendo or Sony console is beyond me I guess.

Its an android console with basic functions and features. Stop getting overly invested in shit.

In all honesty, after the announcements Microsoft made regarding the Xbox 720 with always online and no more used games bs, I cant see a long lasting console generation coming up before a revision 2 of the hardware.

OUYA was fine as an idea, but their execution is way off.

The system is going to be maxed out so fast that if they need to release updated versions quite often. If they didn't, people would get bored with it. Plus, you don't need to always have "the best" to enjoy your time.

I just dont see the point in OUYA. No more than i see the point in any 'handheld' anymore versus your standard smartphone these days.
too niche. Its only in the news because the /. type neckbeards get on board with crap like that.

In all honesty, after the announcements Microsoft made regarding the Xbox 720 with always online and no more used games bs, I cant see a long lasting console generation coming up before a revision 2 of the hardware.

OUYA was fine as an idea, but their execution is way off.

afaik there have been no announcements, only rumors.

Exactly. I bought it for the XBMC support. Most android TV boxes cost around $89 with horrible quality control. The games, eh, don't care.

I don't see the problem. I'm happy that every year it will get better especially since $100 is not a lot of money.

The OUYA reminds me of companies that try to be too inclusive with what their product should do. like "It's a Fridge and an Oven! OMG!" but in this case it's just a droid based cheapo console. Which I suspect could be emulated fairly easily but why bother? It's not gonna run anything you can't get else where and it seems like every generation more and more products have options for hooking a TV up. I'm pretty sure I can hook my driodx2 up to a TV and hook up a controller and play ONlive or what have you and it's a old cruddy pos. I'm sure a modded up Transformer tablet would crush this thing.

This is all not to say I'm against the OUYA I just think they're being questionable about both it's capabilities and what you'll get out of it. They claimed it was open but now it seems like it's gonna end up being a locked platform for selling droid games. If that's the case I think Steam's Console will probably show them up and they'll close up shop quick.

Honestly I don't understand it much either..

I mean if you wanna play Android games, you could get a Nexus 7 or something, and be fully portable.

IF you wanted a controller, surely there's something out there that will control games on the Nexus 7.

I mean yeah it ain't bad for $100, but honestly you're gonna be playing either free games, that beg you for tons of in-app purchases, OR be playing games such as Minecraft for $8, when we can play those type of games on nearly any modern laptop/pc/tablet.

IF you wanted a controller, surely there's something out there that will control games on the Nexus 7.

Android since 3.1 has supported generic Bluetooth/USB controller support in its Java APIs. The standard mapping is what Ouya is using for its controller. If you have a Tegra 3-based Android tablet, a Bluetooth or USB controller (PS3, Xbox 360 are standard supported), and an HDMI connection to your TV, you already have an Ouya.

Even as a developer working on iOS/Android games, it boggles my mind that anyone is treating the Ouya as something other than another one of a thousand Android devices that are in the market already.

OK so this is on gamestops site now. I own a nexus 7 this thing is just a non portable version of what I already own. Seems real pointless to me.

I liked how the question about backwards compatibility was completely sidestepped.

Yeah, it'll be backwards compatible in that your games are tied to your account...wait, what?

I'm truly lost....

It's an android based system. If android allows it to be backwards compatible, then it will be. These guys won't be able to change it. So, that's probably the best answer, it'll be tied to you, so you can play it.... unless Google says, no.

System idea seems stupid, imo. I really wondered how it got so much freakin' money.

I'm truly lost....

It's an android based system. If android allows it to be backwards compatible, then it will be. These guys won't be able to change it. So, that's probably the best answer, it'll be tied to you, so you can play it.... unless Google says, no.

System idea seems stupid, imo. I really wondered how it got so much freakin' money.

Has It even been mentioned one way or another if the Ouya can access the Android Market?

Has It even been mentioned one way or another if the Ouya can access the Android Market?
One of the selling points is supposedly that it's easy to root (making it that much more unlikely developers will make Ouya-specific games), so it can access pretty much anything that'll run on its hardware.

One of the selling points is supposedly that it's easy to root (making it that much more unlikely developers will make Ouya-specific games), so it can access pretty much anything that'll run on its hardware.

Google decides what devices can access the Play Store, not the hardware makers.

If people need to root it just to access the store, that is a pretty shitty starting point.

Google decides what devices can access the Play Store, not the hardware makers.

If people need to root it just to access the store, that is a pretty shitty starting point.
Google at most cooperates with manufacturers who don't send out their devices with Google Play (and the other Google apps) installed and who instead want customers to use their own proprietary stores (e.g., Kindle, Nook, etc.). They do not, however, attempt to block users of certain devices from having access if the users install them. For example, I ran a rooted Nook Color on which I'd installed the Google apps, including the market, and when I shopped on their store my device was recognized for what it was and its capability used to determine software compatibility.

If you have evidence of instances where Google has actively denied devices access to their store I'd be very interested to see it. As far as I know, Google is always happy to welcome Android users who want to shop in their online store.

As for the "shitty starting point," I agree to some extent. On the other hand, we don't know yet what software the Ouya will ship with. For all we know they could be planning to include Google Play; they probably won't (they're trying to make money after all) but it's not impossible.

This made realize one of the key values of consoles. They freeze the technology for their life span so that you do not have to upgrade to experience your content.

This is also a huge failing point for OYUA, and in fact any device tied to the ever changing hardware associated with Android or IOS.

Just started shipping today.

I regret kickstarting this. You can't play any of the "free" games unless you give them your CC info.

You'll need a credit/debit card to download games. All games are still free to try. Your card will only be charged if you buy content you love. We do want valid payment information for everyone. This is to ensure that game developers can get paid when you love their game.

Fuck them. None of this is rubbing me the right way whatsoever. Springing that shit right as it ships... I'll use it and learn to hack it and have it be a nice small media player, but they are never getting my CC info now. And as far as Kickstarting shit like this... never again.

I regret kickstarting this. You can't play any of the "free" games unless you give them your CC info.

Fuck them. None of this is rubbing me the right way whatsoever. Springing that shit right as it ships... I'll use it and learn to hack it and have it be a nice small media player, but they are never getting my CC info now. And as far as Kickstarting shit like this... never again.

People will just root it and play everything for free.

What did you expect? That's how every service works. This is kind of like going to SeaWorld and complaining that you got wet.

What did you expect? That's how every service works. This is kind of like going to SeaWorld and complaining that you got wet.

I used android and ios for years without entering credit card information.

I have cc info entered for ios now since I buy stuff.

No, not really. Being unable to use their ecosystem without stored CC info was not part of their pitch, or anything stated explicitly. It's not the same. They never pitched this as a closed ecosystem ala iTunes. It was totally misleading and that's why I'm upset. $100 is as far as I go in supporting Ouya from here on out.

It might make for a good investment/collectors item if you keep it sealed up and wait ten years?

It's not. You're free to do whatever you want with it. You can flash a custom rom to it and only use the Android marketplace if you want.

Go ahead and nitpick one sentence. I will do whatever I want with the box, and I made that clear already. They were not forthcoming on the info for their own ecosystem, and to spring what is a major deal to some people at the last second is shady.

It's funny, in the original thread about this I recall saying it wasn't that great of an idea but everyone couldn't wait to throw their money at this thing. I guess if you don't have ANY other Android device it's not bad, but I question the longevity of a yearly release cycle.

Well, as a media streamer or addon to turn tv's into smart tv's i thought that it could be good enough.

But seeing that they want to store CC info for even free downloads i will say "no way, José!", big corporations have been breached, and this is just a startup, soooo yeahhhh... gratz to everyone of the kickstarters that feel entirely secure for some weird reason that i don't understand, i will just pass.

like most people, i'm more interested in the $100 tegra3 hardware w/ controller. as a media streamer/emulator it should be much more capable than any of the competition. i'm not a coder so i'm looking forward to the XBMC team porting to this device. Just look at the support raspberry pi has received so just think about what some creative minds can do w/ the much more powerful hardware.

I believe I have realistic expectations for the system and i'll save judgment until it gets released.

I was interested in this for as long as it took me to find the specs of the device and when i found out they were the same as a htc one x+

Honestly it is what the raspberry pi should have been...

That's not a fair comparison. Raspberry Pi is only $35. Ouya is $100. For almost 3x the price, it better be way better than the Raspberry.

I was interested in this for as long as it took me to find the specs of the device and when i found out they were the same as a htc one x+

Honestly it is what the raspberry pi should have been...

Based on the reviews, the Ouya wishes it was the Raspberry Pi...

Based on the reviews, the Ouya wishes it was the Raspberry Pi...

The fact that places whored out reviews on beta products (to get first dibs on ad revenue) and even gave it a rating makes me laugh. That's one of the major problems with the gaming industry, whoever pays the most money gets positive attention. :(

The fact that places whored out reviews on beta products (to get first dibs on ad revenue) and even gave it a rating makes me laugh. That's one of the major problems with the gaming industry, whoever pays the most money gets positive attention. :(

Except that "beta" product is likely what's going out to Kickstarters.

Except that "beta" product is likely what's going out to Kickstarters.

As a perk of Kickstarting they get their unit early in a beta state. This was spelled out in plain English, I don't know why people are surprised by this.

Back