• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclockers Australia catching up?

DeadlyAura

CoalWagen
2FA
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
5,058
http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?go=1001

It appears as if Overclockers Australia is going all out right now. Each update, they are pulling 15,000 more points than us and 55,000 more daily.

At this rate, they are gonna catch us quick. And that my friends...is not good.

GET FOLDING PEOPLE!!!!

All out for Team #33!!!

Fold on!! Don't let Overclockers Australia catch us!!!



 
I wish I could do more... I've encouraged all my friends to install F@H and fold for team 33... nobody wants to hear it. I even installed it on my 900mhz Apple notebook crash test dummy at work... but after 8 hours when it was still at 0.0% of the WU I gave it up.

I've got 7.4 ghz going right now but it's probably not much of a difference... I'm already overclocked to the max I can do without having a dust buster going in my case.

 
School labs shut down. :( And it's hot. :(

Oh, and it happens every summer. They catch up, then we lead during the winter (their summer). Whoever's gap is big enough to hold through one season wins! Kind of...

 
Zinn said:
I wish I could do more...
<snip>
I've got 7.4 ghz going right now but it's probably not much of a difference... I'm already overclocked to the max I can do without having a dust buster going in my case.


Every little bit helps - your contribution does make a difference. The bulk of the F@H is little people like us. We are very important to the overall program. Just keep doing what you are doing. Make people aware that there is something they can do to help the fight against cancer.
 
7,000 points is 1/2 a day lead. 365 people providing 7,000 points is 1/2 a year lead. Little points add up.
 
Due to hardware failures and a couple other things, I'm down to maybe hafl the ghz I used to have. This includes losing my main machine and having to go to a backup that used to do nothing but fold for my everyday machine. Look in my sig for what I used to use and what I use now.

My current machine can use all the resources it can get for just daily stuff I do. I still fold on the machine. I have no plans to stop it. Although, I'm not putting out anywhere near the points I used to, I know I'm still helping out. And I'm just biding my time before I am able to afford something better and get my points back up to what they should be and hopefully a bit more than that.

 
Yeah anyone running air cooling and maxed their overclock during the winter is probly seeing pretty high temperatures right now. My ex-roomie's X2 was running at about 46C while folding during the winter while running at 2.6ghz. But now he's married, he moved out and it got hot and he was up over 53C and he got worried. So he fubar'd his overclock and his computer isn't stable at all. It happens.

My suggestion, everyone invest in watercooling. My cpu never gets over about 43C while folding unless it gets over 80F in the room. SO much more efficient! And fun! :)

 
Mine never sees 40*C on air. :D

2.53GHz...I win. :p

But yeah, I'm trying to get all my friends and family working on it. The more the better.
 
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've had the best luck with the latest 5.04 beta windows service installer. Whereas previously I wouldn't consider installing FAH on everyone's computer in my house (they wouldn't know if it was there or not unless it caused instability problems during normal usage... which for me, previous versions did, and thus it became MY problem to come fix their computers.... my role in the "commune" of sorts) now I have it on all the computers, including the HTPC. The service seemlessly balances CPU load so there is zero notice that the CPU is running full tilt, even while playing videos or streaming TV.

My router runs IPcop, and I set my dad up with an IPcop router as well, and there's a FAH addon for it now, so even my routers are folding.

That's how I'm pulling all of my resources. I highly suggest anyone with file servers or dedicated machines not doing anything most of the time (cpu usage wise) consider trying that out.
 
thedude42 said:
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've had the best luck with the latest 5.04 beta windows service installer. Whereas previously I wouldn't consider installing FAH on everyone's computer in my house (they wouldn't know if it was there or not unless it caused instability problems during normal usage... which for me, previous versions did, and thus it became MY problem to come fix their computers.... my role in the "commune" of sorts) now I have it on all the computers, including the HTPC. The service seemlessly balances CPU load so there is zero notice that the CPU is running full tilt, even while playing videos or streaming TV.

My router runs IPcop, and I set my dad up with an IPcop router as well, and there's a FAH addon for it now, so even my routers are folding.

That's how I'm pulling all of my resources. I highly suggest anyone with file servers or dedicated machines not doing anything most of the time (cpu usage wise) consider trying that out.
I've got Sage TV running on a dual piii 750 box that I borg'd last night and I'm about to put on an even slower box, a pii 333 that is a router\ftp server for me. Lol, crazy stuff man.

The Sage system is running Gentoo and the pii is on Centos 4.
 
Heh, my dad gives me all his old PC's from his shop when he upgrades them. So, I have 2 PII's and a PIII running right now. After I strip down the old Celery, and get it stable enough to run F@H, that will be folding too.

Plus, all the PC's in my house are borged minus the lappy because ithas shit for battery life and doesn't stay on 24/7.
 
Oldbenwa said:
What HSF are you using? My 3700+ @ 2.5 hits about 43c under load.


Thermalright XP-90.

The trick is, undervolting. It does wonders. Got my VCore down to 1.3v at 2.53 and it runs Prime95 stable 24 hours.

40*C is the most I have ever seen it with an ambient temp of 79*F in this humble abode.
 
DeadlyAura said:
Heh, my dad gives me all his old PC's from his shop when he upgrades them. So, I have 2 PII's and a PIII running right now. After I strip down the old Celery, and get it stable enough to run F@H, that will be folding too.

Plus, all the PC's in my house are borged minus the lappy because ithas shit for battery life and doesn't stay on 24/7.

haha, and I thought the AMD k6-2 running my dad's router was bad!

funny you mention a p-II farm, because a couple years back i was helping out with a project using about 30 p-II machines to render 3d CGI for a little video project. As it turns out, the 30 p-II's (250-400 MHz) rendered faster than a dual p-3 733 rig + 4 p-4 2.53 GHz machines.

Of course there are some obvious reasons for that (memory-per clock ratio for one), and the power and space required to run all the p-II machines far exceeded the faster 5 machines, but it was an interesting insight when we had so many neigh-sayers saying how we might as well just get 5 fast machines rather than use the 30 P-II farm.
 
thedude42 said:
haha, and I thought the AMD k6-2 running my dad's router was bad!

funny you mention a p-II farm, because a couple years back i was helping out with a project using about 30 p-II machines to render 3d CGI for a little video project. As it turns out, the 30 p-II's (250-400 MHz) rendered faster than a dual p-3 733 rig + 4 p-4 2.53 GHz machines.

Of course there are some obvious reasons for that (memory-per clock ratio for one), and the power and space required to run all the p-II machines far exceeded the faster 5 machines, but it was an interesting insight when we had so many neigh-sayers saying how we might as well just get 5 fast machines rather than use the 30 P-II farm.
Farms are cool and coming more and more mainstream. Eventually, I suppose, all the pc's in one home or office will share processing power just the way they network share drives now.
 
dekard said:
Eventually, I suppose, all the pc's in one home or office will share processing power just the way they network share drives now.

Yup, I have 20 citrix servers and 300 thin clients, much easier to admin...now unfortunately I still have 700 workstations that I need to replace with thin clients.
 
ND40oz said:
Yup, I have 20 citrix servers and 300 thin clients, much easier to admin...now unfortunately I still have 700 workstations that I need to replace with thin clients.
Please tell me that all 700 aren't folding.. that would be a loss.
 
DeadlyAura said:
Thermalright XP-90.

The trick is, undervolting. It does wonders. Got my VCore down to 1.3v at 2.53 and it runs Prime95 stable 24 hours.

40*C is the most I have ever seen it with an ambient temp of 79*F in this humble abode.
EDIT: Forgot to mention, my XP-90 is on my fan controller and turned to minimum power. :eek:
 
dekard said:
Please tell me that all 700 aren't folding.. that would be a loss.

Nah, as they come out of production, they will start...
 
roftranspo said:
Crap >_< wait about a month :D

hehehe...you sure you don't want to just let me be in the moosie invite instead... ;)

Nah, I got too much stuff going on around work before I can start replacing machines. It won't be until this fall at the earliest.
 
i have 2.66ghz sitting here doing nothing, but when I run F@H, the temps jump up to ~65 degrees C.


I'm gonna test and see what happens when I run at 80%. If not, I'll have to invest in a cpu cooler...


...that said, anyone selling a skt478 cpu cooler? :D
 
sure if a lot of bitchen around here about temps... :rolleyes:
 
rayman2k2 said:
i have 2.66ghz sitting here doing nothing, but when I run F@H, the temps jump up to ~65 degrees C.


I'm gonna test and see what happens when I run at 80%. If not, I'll have to invest in a cpu cooler...


...that said, anyone selling a skt478 cpu cooler? :D
65c is fine for that chip. Just keep it under 70 - 75 and you shouldn't have any problems.
 
dekard said:
65c is fine for that chip. Just keep it under 70 - 75 and you shouldn't have any problems.
Or, use it in a motherboard that will allow you to lower the voltage a bit, that can cool those processor quite a bit.
 
I hate it, my mom's PC is running an older P4 1.5GHz but its a Gateway. The mobo won't let you lower the voltage, overclock, or underclock...

Time for an upgrade. I'll strip that one down to barebones and put it in my closet.

OOOOHHHHH!!!!! IDEA!!!!!

Modding time. Mounting the PC's on the walls in my closet!!! Woo!!!!

Thank you thread for the wonderfull modding idea!!!! YES!!!
 
gwai lo said:
School labs shut down.

<snip>

Yeah, I borged a few of the P4 school machines. Then the IT killed them all. Damn 70 year old bastard that doesn't know what he is doing...
 
dekard said:
65c is fine for that chip. Just keep it under 70 - 75 and you shouldn't have any problems.



65C is okay for a celeron-d?


it's on an eMachines, so I can't adjust voltage :(
 
Hey if someone knows where I can get free power in Bozeman Montana I could have a ton of old crappers running.

AMD K62 450
Dual 300 PII
Dual 733 PIII
PIII 450
PIII Celey 566

Prolly even a few more I'm forgetting. I can't run them all though. The power bill would be insane. :eek:

 
How about donating the machines to a local school or other organization, with F@H installed as part of the package, of course! :)

 
we need to find someone who works for geek squad to do the F@H install on all the machines they see, and call it an "optimization" service.

of course we would never sanction this action, as it would be a meer idea thrown around with the hint of suggestion simply a matter of interpretation of the geek squad employee. ;)
 
thedude42 said:
we need to find someone who works for geek squad to do the F@H install on all the machines they see, and call it an "optimization" service.

of course we would never sanction this action, as it would be a meer idea thrown around with the hint of suggestion simply a matter of interpretation of the geek squad employee. ;)

not a bad idea, also get all the CC's, BB's, Fry's and others to run it on their demo computers... they could use it as a selling point "this computer can do a WU ___ times faster than the previous model"
 
I just checked, and the Roos are coming up fast. The marsupials are predicted to pass us in just 39 days :eek: :eek:

How about some of that fine front page pimpage?

How about everyone borg a machine this week?

How about everyone running at 100%? ;)

How about a membership drive south of the equator so that we don't always lose our lead each summer?

Hold on to the Duck!!!


Fold on [H]orde!

 
I've personally put on 33 ghz in the last 10 days since I started folding. Thats about all I can do at the moment. I like the idea of everyone borg 1 pc. :)
 
dekard said:
I've personally put on 33 ghz in the last 10 days since I started folding. Thats about all I can do at the moment. I like the idea of everyone borg 1 pc. :)

Love it! Say, got any friends with 33 ghz to add? ;)

 
Back
Top