Over at EVGA

that argument is made over and over by EVGA members, but it doesn't make much sense. Nobody is arguing that EVGA members are being "paid" on a 1:1 ratio to fold.

I think the bottom line of what we and most other teams are saying is this:

Let's see what would happen if EVGA dropped the Bucks program completely. :)

icon_lol.gif

I'm not too worried about that. Built up a rather thick skin from criticisms on YouTube.

Star Wars Jedi Kid? :D

Star Wars Jedi Kid? I'm a bit flaky sometimes, I don't quite follow...

I'm actually a little relieved. I would have felt bad if you had said, "yes, that was me".

Just search for it on YouTube. :D I'd post a link, but youtube is blocked at my work.

I think the bottom line of what we and most other teams are saying is this:

Let's see what would happen if EVGA dropped the Bucks program completely. :)
I believe it is quite evident what will happen. EVGA would lose a good portion of their accumulated member base, but they will still retain a large number and remain a first rate folding team. There are some hardcore folders on that team who fold for reasons other than monetary incentives. Some of their members fold purely for the competition or for the science, yet may still partake of the incentives simply because it is made available to them irrespective if the advantages are actual or not. The longer the rewards program stays in effect, the more EVGA will recruit as a matter of course a growing nucleus of members whose motivations aspire to higher goals. These are the individuals who will stick to it come whatever may. If you cast your net far enough, you will eventually catch that elusive fish.

Yea, the argument isnt about "paying" folders per say, cuz nothing short of 100$ a month would be about on par.

It's about the marketing ploy. EVGA has over 7500$ in one single give out of prizes, up to another 120$ a year per folder at a store that sells ""used-ish"" (Bstock) hardware for cheaper prices where you can use an additional 10% off for folding, not to mention other incentives they offer in the form of massive give outs and what not. It may not pay the bills, but that's a lot of incentives, and if you were going to upgrade anyways, folding with EVGA actually does put money back in your pocket.

That's a lot of financial backing, and there is no other team out there that can copy that. Combine that with the fact that a team will only get better by adding more members which is a fact. This is the second half of that marketing reason that gets a lot of feathers ruffled. EVGA is HUGE, and has direct ties to Nvidia, which is VERY HUGE!! Those two companies can reach tens of thousands of people at no cost, no hassle, and the click of a mouse. No other team can match that.

What most of your members dont seem to get is that we dont have a problem with them as much as with the concept of EVGA's folding team. First of all, EVGA didn't even start their team from what I gather. I've read that it was started on the forums by a couple guys on some PS3's and what not. EVGA only got behind it when someone in their marketing dept said eureka! Truth be told, this is probly one of EVGA's cheapest marketing branches, and what looks better to avg joe than saying "Hey, buy our shit because we are leading the race to cure cancer! See, were number one, that means we care". It's one of the cheapest and easiest (EVGA has almost no real effort involved in this branch compared to other marketing methods such as traveling road shows or what not). If they cared, they would have gotten in from the start, they wouldnt have had a 6 digit (it is 6 right? I havnt memorized yalls number yet) team number, they'd have a low number. If they cared they would throw some of their own resources into it (all those PPD don't cost EVGA a penny in electricity ya know, yall are paying for their advertising efforts) and make a company team.

That's what most people from most teams I've talked to say. It's not about paying per say, it's about them throwing resources into it that no other teams can match but yet they are still scored on the same playing field (someone on your boards said that HardOCP could easily match EVGA's participation level, pardon my french but fuckin eh, seriously?). Combine that with the fact that a large handful of your members can't even reason with the facts when laid out like such, they think they'd be where they are today even without all the tens of thousands EVGA has poured into "their" team. Would y'all be a spec of dust, no, you have some good guys, but lets be honest, without EVGA whoring themselves out and drawing attention the team never would have reached the speed it did if they had to recruit like every other little forum did.

I've laid it all out as plain as I can. I dont believe any of this can be disputed, it's common sense and the cold hard truth. If you guys say you truly want to understand why everyone thinks poorly of yall, its cuz you thumb your noses at anyone that tries to explain it to you. Granted some of those have come on harder than others, but I think this is as nuetral and to the point as one could explain it.

Again, the problem isnt with you as people per say. If you think that your shit dont stink and you cant even see the controversy your own team stirs up then yes, it is about you. But, if you can understand the price you pay by aligning yourself with EVGA then by all means fold on, but dont get pissed. You choose to fold in the spot light on a glamorous stage that EVGA has built. You chose to be there. I dont hold that against anyone, if you want to fold for them go ahead, but understand that by folding with them you'll always have that over your head. I don't see a problem with it if you are fine with that, then by all means, let us both fold till we go broke or maybe we cure something.

I'm just trying to say, you guys want the spot light, you built a shiny stage, dont be so butt hurt when everyone is looking at you, and it will only get worse when yall take #1. I hope those of you with level heads will understand the way the majority of the folding community sees you guys, and once you understand it go from there. By all means I'm not trying to get a single folder from EVGA to stop folding or switch teams or anything (this goes to you friggin lunny mod guy). I just want yall to stop staring at the spotlight for 30 seconds and see what every other folding team in the world sees. Once you do that, resume folding for your team, just understand why it is you get the criticism. It's not cuz you guys are the king shit and are pwning the world. Once yall grasp that concept, everything will be grand in my book between you and me ( I still have an issue with EVGA as a company but thats another issue )

This is not an attack on anyone, and I hope I've broken this down simple enough so that even the most stuck up fanboy of any team wont try to pick a fight. I'll leave this in everyones hands to carry on from here.

Hey fellas...sorry it came to this point on the respective forums.
I've looked through [H] the past few days and you all really are a great community, also. Very tight knit and look out for each other, which I respect. And educated as hell!
Anyway, just thought I'd come over with an olive branch and say that I hope our race to 4 billion, and afterward to #1, can take an upturn from here-on with mutual understanding and with the mindset that nobody is perfect. Certainly mods are not...believe me.
I truly do wish you all luck in your quest, and in the end we all win through this folding.
Keep going hard! And Talk Lata!

Respect and a beer to ya mate. Nice to see some of the heavier hitters from EVGA popping in ;)

on a side note, nice review on the 700D, i watched it a few days ago when i saw your link in yoru sig while i was well....lurking the EVGA boards

wow that came out a lot longer than I thought lol

And SirJames, you seem like a level headed guy, beer and tamales to ya if you ever chose to come back

DISCLAIMER - THIS IS NOT A RECRUITING TRICK, WE ARE NOT A COMPANY, WE CANT REALLY AFFORD BEER OR TAMALES, EVEN IF WE COULD SHIPPING WOULD GET UGLY REAL FAST

did you get that last part mod?

Okay, now this thread is starting to get WAY too nerdy.

I propose we lock it for violating the anti-nerd line in the Hardforum TOS.

In all seriousness though, I really wish you eVGA guys would come here more often. We don't bite and we do have fun. I try to post over there at least once a day just for fun though. Even back when I was only lurking around the forums there, I still visited once a day to see what is happening in the folding world as sometimes we get information first, and sometimes you guys get new info before we do.

wow that came out a lot longer than I thought lol

And SirJames, you seem like a level headed guy, beer and tamales to ya if you ever chose to come back

DISCLAIMER - THIS IS NOT A RECRUITING TRICK, WE ARE NOT A COMPANY, WE CANT REALLY AFFORD BEER OR TAMALES, EVEN IF WE COULD SHIPPING WOULD GET UGLY REAL FAST

did you get that last part mod?

we could get it from this little mexican place(i think the cooks are illegals same with all but the owners...) near my house, get a 5 lb burrito for 10 bucks......think the tamales are only like 5 bucks, and we can send him some PJ's beer ;)

@Vaulter98c I read your message as more of something you've wanted to get off your chest for awhile regarding EVGA.
I'm not a person who thinks more highly of himself than others, as your post suggests there are definitely some everywhere (not you) that are, and I could've started my own Folding team when I created SirJamesD.com but chose to keep with EVGA since I already had folded with them and am such a regular there.
I like this place from what I've seen, but just know that I'm not a representative of EVGA nor do I have any say over policies or rules there. I'm on the EVGA team, love the community, but I have really no decision making ability. And since I do reviews, I doubt I'll ever even be a Mod.
@W.Feather Thanks! Did you see the unboxing I just did of the Prolimatech Super Mega?
@amdgamer I think it's just being territorial...goes to the idea that spending so much time in one place, one thinks of it as their own and wants to defend it. Similarly, to some going into another forum can feel like betrayal.

nope, ill take a look later probably my schools internet is on the fritz really really bad (just ask the chaps in IRC with me), and would take probably 20min to load the thing let alone view it

O' Snap...

Well I guess I'll put my GTX 460 and my i5 750 into the fray.

Quickly - give me a good set up guide for Win 7 we've got no time to waste... We need to keep the lead ;)

It seems that I need the GPU3 client, this thing got a viewer? :(
SMP client as usual?

O' Snap...

Well I guess I'll put my GTX 460 and my i5 750 into the fray.

Quickly - give me a good set up guide for Win 7 we've got no time to waste... We need to keep the lead ;)

It seems that I need the GPU3 client, this thing got a viewer? :(
SMP client as usual?
There is a system tray version of the GPU3 client, but as always you should avoid using it since it will significantly slow down folding performance. Use HFM.NET to monitor your clients.

As for the CPU, follow my SMP client setup guide that is stickied in the DC subforum.

There is a system tray version of the GPU3 client, but as always you should avoid using it since it will significantly slow down folding performance. Use HFM.NET to monitor your clients.

As for the CPU, follow my SMP client setup guide that is stickied in the DC subforum.

And just remember to put in the super PPD bonus code when you setup the clients.

When it asks you for team, type in !!!)^% but don't hold the shift key.

Computing at about 15k PPD now...

i5 750 + GTX 460 OC = 15k PPD, sounds right? I hope.

Computing at about 15k PPD now...

i5 750 + GTX 460 OC = 15k PPD, sounds right? I hope.
sounds about right, but there's potential for more. you have any of that overclocked?

rjohnson11 said:
I want to give a warning in this thread that several members have come close to breaking the EVGA terms of service. Please everyone, beware of the subliminal tactics of HardOCP in this thread in an effort to break EVGA forum members away from our team or stop folding altogether.

You guys letting a johnson get you all worked up? :p

None all - stock except for the GPu which came slightly OC'd...
ok then yeah, you're about right.

btw, add
-advmethods
and
-forcegpu nvidia_fermi
flags to your GPU client for a little boost.

ok then yeah, you're about right.

btw, add
-advmethods
and
-forcegpu nvidia_fermi
flags to your GPU client for a little boost.

How would I go about this?

All I did was enter my username / team # and the passkey - where else can I enter it in the client?

Nevermind - found it, just entered them in the Additional Client Parameters section ;) Restarted the client... I'll wait for a bit to see if any difference is noted.

Thanks.

How would I go about this?

All I did was enter my username / team # and the passkey - where else can I enter it in the client?

Nevermind - found it, just entered them in the Additional Client Parameters section ;) Restarted the client... I'll wait for a bit to see if any difference is noted.

Thanks.
you can either add it to a shortcut, or you can add it in the config into the appropriate box, somebody help me with the name

This thread was fun to read.
You know what they say about Texas??? It would be the third largest state if you cut Alaska in two.

My point? It takes combining two teams half as good as EVGA to come close to beating us.......

Let the friendly trash talk begin!!!

Dang. where are the smilies in the Quick Reply box?

You know what they say about Texas??? It would be the third largest state if you cut Alaska in two.

My point? It takes combining two teams half as good as EVGA to come close to beating us.......

It's simply as this - :)

you have to know that a smiley consists of a : and a ) , or : and D, or : eek : .... :)

All the cool people have them memorized :cool:

Back