Outriders (Bulletstorm developer)

Seriously? WTF is this bullshit? You follow a moving squiggly line across a train track where you take cover and shoot shit? Is this the mid 2000's again?

yeah that quest marker/line thing is annoying as hell...hopefully there's a way of disabling that

Gameplay seems to b e completely identical to Bulletstorm. No jump key, and you are mostly playing a pure cover shooter. uninstalled.

You would think that after the failure of the original, they would have cured this shit - third-person makes ut feel even more generic
The cover is for the enemies, not you. If you stay behind cover you're actually more likely to die.

20210402232009_2.jpg

Just got the Caustic application for guns when you use headphones it sounds really funky.
I was on World Tire 4 which is labled as hard so I switced back to 3 I'm sure if your playing Co-op it would pay to crank it up but kept dying on the higher World Tire.

So I just read that you can't pause this single player game? It sounds like the same nonsense as The Division 2.

If you go into a menu in game you will still be attacked!!

Last edited:
The Division
The Division games (and most online ARPGs / looter shooters) are not single player games. Though you can play mostly solo you are still in a "multiplayer instance" that other players can enter/leave, for co-op, trading, pvp, or just idling at a base.
If the pause feature is important to you then avoid these type of online arpg looter-shooter style multiplayer games.

As long as your game world is in "an instance that other players can enter", even in a single player game (for example Dark Souls with its invasions), the pause feature will most likely be unavailable.

I played 6 hours yesterday to level 12, about 2/3 of it solo and finished the first multi-form boss which was kinda cool.

Playing an aggressive Trickster is way more fun than when I played Technomancer in the demo as I didn't really know how the game worked yet and was playing it as a normal cover shooter. Now I'm running around teleporting behind people, popping my bullet time bubble and shotgunning multiple people in the face at point blank range.

I like how the gear system works. Once you dismantle an item with a mod, the mod goes into your inventory permanently and can be added to any other piece of gear with a slot for a small fee. All the amour pieces add extra bonuses perks to your skills so you can spec out a build that way and focus on one or two skills. For instance now when I use my bullet time bubble it weakens enemies inside it and when it pops I get full shields, both perks added by my armour

Anyway it's fun enough that I will keep playing until I finish the story and hit max level. I'm not sure what the end game is yet so we will see if that part keeps my interest.

Also the HUD bug is really annoying, if your system is susceptible to it then it seems to happen every time you load the game fresh. You have to disable all the HUD options, re-enable them and then exit to lobby and the re-enter the game to fix it. Angry Joe had it on his stream multiple times and I'm getting it too.

My two buddied and I are having a blast.. when the servers are up (down right now). We managed level 26ish and are following the Mtashed advice of keeping the world tier low as it doesn't give you any extra XP and you'll still just keep replacing the drops until endgame.

(I know this was linked earlier in the thread but its VERY good adivce)

Once they're back up we'll jump back in but its Apex in the meantime.

Also two nice things that may or may not have been mentioned is that you can skip the prologue when creating second and third characters. As well you can respec at any time for free.

If you're on an AORUS Z390 board make sure you update to the latest BIOS. It fixed a voltage bug that was causing my PC to restart with this game.

The hud bug is starting to get on my nerves a bit, the servers going down randomly us starting to really piss me off though.

If it weren't for those two issues I would be 100% satisfied with the game.

Made it to level cap (30) tonight and world tier 9 which took much longer than it needed to with all today's downtime. The Expeditions are VERY fun with a fireteam. If you like hoard mode, its all there and you can really make your skill/weapon synergy work overtime. Only level 5 in there before we called it but its going to be fun moving up the tiers.

Launch has been a mess and the game has some quirks but its been a lot of fun for the 34 hours i've put into it so far.

Anyone having stutter issues in DX12? Whenever I launch/play it in DX12...I easily get 100FPS, but its a stuttering experience. Every 5-10 seconds, it just stutters, etc.

Switch it to DX11 and most of that goes away, but trade that stutter issue for 40-50 FPS.....

Some random Online Grocery Pickup guys at work were talking about a game like Destiny without the bumper jumpers.
I said Outriders? Guy turns around and says he knows exactly what he's talking about.

Last edited:
Anyone having stutter issues in DX12? Whenever I launch/play it in DX12...I easily get 100FPS, but its a stuttering experience. Every 5-10 seconds, it just stutters, etc.

Switch it to DX11 and most of that goes away, but trade that stutter issue for 40-50 FPS.....
Yes, its a widespread issue.

I just completed the story in ~12 hours as devastator (tank class), with solo WT4 most of the way.

Overall an okay game, in the end I feel like I got what I expected and that was a pretty average looter shooter. Some of the boss fights were great, some were downright frustrating. The difficulty felt like it jumped around more than it should've for locking myself to WT4 the whole way; I don't think this was due to aging gear. I ended up doing the last few missions on WT1 since the last few bosses turned into bullet sponges with few interesting mechanics. I would've liked to have another ability, perhaps an 'ultimate' like Destiny?

Bugs: Stuttering, server crashes, no HUD on loading, stuck in animation, no visible/audible notice for direction of taking damage (enemy guns are all silenced for some reason)

Overall: Not recommended right now. There's some fun mechanics in here and I'm sure it's better in multiplayer, but the server stability and random bugs are seriously robbing this game of its enjoyment.

I just completed the story in ~12 hours as devastator (tank class), with solo WT4 most of the way.

Overall an okay game, in the end I feel like I got what I expected and that was a pretty average looter shooter. Some of the boss fights were great, some were downright frustrating. The difficulty felt like it jumped around more than it should've for locking myself to WT4 the whole way; I don't think this was due to aging gear. I ended up doing the last few missions on WT1 since the last few bosses turned into bullet sponges with few interesting mechanics. I would've liked to have another ability, perhaps an 'ultimate' like Destiny?

Bugs: Stuttering, server crashes, no HUD on loading, stuck in animation, no visible/audible notice for direction of taking damage (enemy guns are all silenced for some reason)

Overall: Not recommended right now. There's some fun mechanics in here and I'm sure it's better in multiplayer, but the server stability and random bugs are seriously robbing this game of its enjoyment.

I left it on automatic WT most of the game and the difficulty ramp made it fun, until it suddenly was not. About 3/4 of the way through, I turned it down to WT5 from WT10 and left it there.

Leveling/story we left it on WT5 but in the endgame I started cranking it up.

Though WT levels don't really play much of a roll in the Expeditions so I haven't really worried about them outside of farming the Hunts or Wanted guys.

Worth noting that with the relics/hunts/wanted missions, completing them all gives you a Legendary. Resetting them and completing them all again still gives you a legendary so that's a somewhat consistent farm.

I have not been able to join random fireteams at all the entire weekend on either PC or console. Is matchmaking broken?

I read they disabled auto matchmaking maybe something else was bugged when that happened.

Leveling/story we left it on WT5 but in the endgame I started cranking it up.

Though WT levels don't really play much of a roll in the Expeditions so I haven't really worried about them outside of farming the Hunts or Wanted guys.

Worth noting that with the relics/hunts/wanted missions, completing them all gives you a Legendary. Resetting them and completing them all again still gives you a legendary so that's a somewhat consistent farm.
Replaying the same exact missions? I don't like games that are set up that way at all. It makes no sense at all from a story perspective. Missions should be once per play through.

Replaying the same exact missions? I don't like games that are set up that way at all. It makes no sense at all from a story perspective. Missions should be once per play through.
Looter-shooters may not be your bag then.

Farming is the name of the game hoping for that one drop you're after and yes, doing the same thing over and over is sometimes how that's done.

These games are an addiction and not for everyone but for us, the actual game starts after the main campaign ends and is all about the endgame. Perfecting your build until you can decimate everything on the hardest difficulty is the name of the game.

Looter-shooters may not be your bag then.

Farming is the name of the game hoping for that one drop you're after and yes, doing the same thing over and over is sometimes how that's done.

These games are an addiction and not for everyone but for us, the actual game starts after the main campaign ends and is all about the endgame. Perfecting your build until you can decimate everything on the hardest difficulty is the name of the game.
I don't mind farming at all, but the end game missions should be random. It shouldn't be a story mission or same boss that you play over and over.

Diablo 3 perfected this. The Division 2 had a terrible end game.

I don't mind farming at all, but the end game missions should be random. It shouldn't be a story mission or same boss that you play over and over.

Diablo 3 perfected this. The Division 2 had a terrible end game.
Endgame missions are the Expeditions of which there are 15 (only three to choose from at a time) so there is some variety there.)

Outriders is the most divisive game of 2021 so far

Outriders: Is it great or is it terrible? Depends who you ask...the loot shooter launched last week and immediately divided the internet like Moses and the Red Sea...on one side are players—including a significant number of Twitch streamers and YouTubers—praising Outriders for offering meaningful loot, frantic combat, and satisfying RPG progression...on the other side, others are lambasting it as boring and derivative

looking at Steam, Outriders players seem just as conflicted...it's currently sitting at a "mixed" rating with just 61 percent of its 15,000 reviews recommending it...not exactly what you'd consider a home run—and yet Outriders is also one of Steam's top games with over 100,000 concurrent players right now...it's been a long time since I can remember a game that was this contentious...

https://www.pcgamer.com/outriders-is-the-most-divisive-game-of-2021-so-far/

I really want to like this as I really like the idea of what it could be, but i find myself now debating trying out others in the genre instead. The closest I have played to a game like this would be Warframe (although i think this scratches a Diablo itch more than Warframe did), and i eventually bored of that and the forever grind for weapons/lack of real end game.
Outriders does have a lot good. Granted I am not that far in but a lot of the class abilities are fun, like Devastator launching into the air and then crashing down. The world tier is an interesting way to handle difficulty, and i like the idea overall. The world around you looks really nice, and the story (so far) is pretty interesting and seems to lend itself to some interesting possibilities in the future. I also like that I can get a drop, use it for a bit, replace it and put that old item in a stash for other characters to use. I mostly like weapons and their different effects and abilities, though there is a lot of "sameness" to feel.
Something just feels off in the overall execution. Lack of jump was annoying to me, but i get it is a cover based game. The problem is that it feels like the game actually doesn't want you to use cover, as the second you go into cover you are bombarded with grenades, apparently thrown by guys whose arms rival that of an NFL quarterback or MLB pitcher because i cannot arc my grenade to fly as far as they seem to be able to get theirs. So far it seems to me you are better off just running and gunning rather than trying to take your time and switch between sniping far away enemies while blasting anyone else that gets too close. Also, while the backdrop changes, every area feels like the same linear corridor. A bunch of baddies on the opposite end and a bunch of mini-walls in between. Perhaps it is less annoying when playing with more people,or at least the game seems to built for team based, but Matchmaking is broken so I am stuck solo. I have let Matchmaking keep trying to find games for entire play sessions and have yet to find any game to join. Regardless, I usually just end up setting my World level down at 2 or 3 to make it through areas. I do like the "Boss" and Captain fights as being something different, but in the end i found i was stuck doing pretty much the same thing... rolling around trying to interrupt abilities with my abilities that interrupt.

I really want to like this as I really like the idea of what it could be, but i find myself now debating trying out others in the genre instead. The closest I have played to a game like this would be Warframe (although i think this scratches a Diablo itch more than Warframe did), and i eventually bored of that and the forever grind for weapons/lack of real end game.
Outriders does have a lot good. Granted I am not that far in but a lot of the class abilities are fun, like Devastator launching into the air and then crashing down. The world tier is an interesting way to handle difficulty, and i like the idea overall. The world around you looks really nice, and the story (so far) is pretty interesting and seems to lend itself to some interesting possibilities in the future. I also like that I can get a drop, use it for a bit, replace it and put that old item in a stash for other characters to use. I mostly like weapons and their different effects and abilities, though there is a lot of "sameness" to feel.
Something just feels off in the overall execution. Lack of jump was annoying to me, but i get it is a cover based game. The problem is that it feels like the game actually doesn't want you to use cover, as the second you go into cover you are bombarded with grenades, apparently thrown by guys whose arms rival that of an NFL quarterback or MLB pitcher because i cannot arc my grenade to fly as far as they seem to be able to get theirs. So far it seems to me you are better off just running and gunning rather than trying to take your time and switch between sniping far away enemies while blasting anyone else that gets too close. Also, while the backdrop changes, every area feels like the same linear corridor. A bunch of baddies on the opposite end and a bunch of mini-walls in between. Perhaps it is less annoying when playing with more people,or at least the game seems to built for team based, but Matchmaking is broken so I am stuck solo. I have let Matchmaking keep trying to find games for entire play sessions and have yet to find any game to join. Regardless, I usually just end up setting my World level down at 2 or 3 to make it through areas. I do like the "Boss" and Captain fights as being something different, but in the end i found i was stuck doing pretty much the same thing... rolling around trying to interrupt abilities with my abilities that interrupt.
Pay more attention to your gear, both the mods and and stats. I hit a magic spot on my Technomancer last night where all my armor added Status Damage and Anomaly Power. I combined that with a mod that increased my Cryo Turret damage based on my total Status Damage and it has no trouble controlling crowds now. The Status Damage is also a ridiculous boon for Blighted Rounds, to the point I can now 4-shot captains with my Epic SMG at WT7 (highest I've reached so far) and level 15. My class tree is currently a hybrid of the top and middle paths that is hunting for additional Vulnerability and Crit Damage with skill cooldown.

The game is certainly designed in such a way to discourage staying in one spot for the entire duration of a fight. Doing so will let enemies swarm and overwhelm you. The game is also designed in such a way that you need to continually output damage to keep your HP up. In order to be successful at higher World Tiers you need to stay on top of your gear. Don't automatically dismantle greens and lower, as some of my best gear has come from improving the rarity of a green instead of from finding random loot. Make sure your mods and stats on your gear synergize together, and choose skills and class passives that take advantage.

Pay more attention to your gear, both the mods and and stats. I hit a magic spot on my Technomancer last night where all my armor added Status Damage and Anomaly Power. I combined that with a mod that increased my Cryo Turret damage based on my total Status Damage and it has no trouble controlling crowds now. The Status Damage is also a ridiculous boon for Blighted Rounds, to the point I can now 4-shot captains with my Epic SMG at WT7 (highest I've reached so far) and level 15. My class tree is currently a hybrid of the top and middle paths that is hunting for additional Vulnerability and Crit Damage with skill cooldown.

The game is certainly designed in such a way to discourage staying in one spot for the entire duration of a fight. Doing so will let enemies swarm and overwhelm you. The game is also designed in such a way that you need to continually output damage to keep your HP up. In order to be successful at higher World Tiers you need to stay on top of your gear. Don't automatically dismantle greens and lower, as some of my best gear has come from improving the rarity of a green instead of from finding random loot. Make sure your mods and stats on your gear synergize together, and choose skills and class passives that take advantage.
Blighted Rounds alone are incredibly broken.

We're doing Tier 10 Expeditions but our one Technomancer buddy is essentially carrying us with Blighted Rounds. He's doing the whole 15 minute expedition on ONE magazine of his LMG and just holding down left click the entire time. There seems to be so many ways to auto reload on kill and he's stacking all of them and the damage he puts out is incredible.

He's usually doing 2-2.5x more total damage and the end screen after an expedition and its absurd.

--Cut Paste---

Inventory WIPE !!!
After 70 hours, wiped my Inventory after a Game Crash, i lost most of my items (many Legendary ect.), i farm hour for hour to gear up my Pyro and now this, iam ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ sad....
After the Crash i cannot equip a Weapon at the first Weapon slot, this game and my character is complety broken...

Sorry People can Fly:
this simply must not happen in a looter game...

Last edited:
Hope they can patch that up game breaker almost as bad as losing my Dark Souls 3 save of 120 hours.

That issue is growing, its all over reddit. I'm almost worried to even login at this point. PCF has made no determination publicly yet how they plan to fully restore everyone.

They should have the saves local or have a backup and loading system in place. Instead of play pray and save.

Back