Our First Bioshock 2 & Eyefinity Experience

No! I don't have the money to see it and consequently buy it. Ignorance is bliss, especially blissfully large televisions.

Roger that. Was not trying to come off like a prick on that. Just I see some folks thinking a 45" TV is the same picture as 3x1 Portrait Eyefinity on 24" monitors. Once you set about a foot or two from both of them, the difference is commanding.

Yeah. Eyefinity with landscape makes sense to me, it's an exciting prospect ... but portrait mode? Why wouldn't one simply invest in a big ass TV?

See? ^ :)

Kyle I hate to say it man but you just highlighted the one big complaint about AMD/ATi.

OK. I highlight lots of shit for lots of people to complain about....or I thought I did. I am not taking sides here. I could give a shit less if Eyefinity came from AMD or NVIDIA. I just like the tech. It has some downsides, but the upsides it has to gaming are huge.

I think you're missing a "not" from the front page, currently it says :

"Shame on 2K and AMD for getting this done for the release of this game"

Should do a vid on the bad company 2 beta, apparently that works with no probs.

It works, but there were some big problems on my end....and I fixed the NOT.

kyle task amd TASK THEM DAMN YOU they need to really support eyefinity or nv will kill them in multi-monitor segment

Yes.

I can't read that far between the lines. I want a, "We are fixing Landscape Eyefinity."

On the subject of eyefinity, whatever the hell happened that triple monitor setup samsung were showing off and saying would be available in mid december? Looks pretty nice with the adjustable stand and all but so far theyve yet to hit stores. =/

Feb 1, news HardOCP.com

$1900 for 3 23s plus stand. :( You can get three Dell 22's now for $180 each.

Here is the correct information on the Samsung MD230 that features AMD and ATI's Eyefinity technology. The release date is March 2010. The price for the 23" 3-screen configuration is $1,899.00. I've attached a press release with more detailed information.

Kyle I'm going to directly blame you for the missing 650 dollars from my savings account (bought 2 more Asus 25.5 inch LCD's) so expect an angry email from my girlfriend :D

Also I was conflicted about some problems I was having with my 5870 but was able to iron them out today with some driver cleaning and tweaking the clock values for 2D. I was gonna return it for a 3D Vision kit and GTX 285 thankfully though I was able to borrow my friends GTX 295 for the week and I bought the 3D vision kit at Fry's (which will take anything back without an issue).

Gonna install everything in a bit and try out Bioshock 2 with 3D vision , I know you aren't a big fan but I've heard this game was developed with 3D Vision in mind.

I should get my monitors by the end of the week and join the bliss of Eyefinity , I've been watching all your videos on it and I'm really impressed.

This isn't my first day! :rolleyes: As I've stated multiple times, I realize the gulf in resolution between a flatscreen TV and three displays in portrait is staggering. I'm simply not convinced the glory seen whilst viewing at arms length would be worth the hassle/bezels/money compared to a 50" LCD or plasma. Landscape, I'm 1000% behind that concept.

I could be way wrong, of course. I'd have no trouble admitting that. :p

Sorry, I think multi-monitor gaming is cool beans and all, but it's far too high on the enthusiast ladder for me. It's hard enough just keeping my rig [H]ard without having to worry about 3 monitors and an even beefier video card array to allow me to run those obscene resolutions with max settings. I'd prefer 1900x1200 with 16Q AA and max everything over 3600x1200 with some settings on high and a few others turned down. Just my own preference, and to each his/her own, but even so how can you tolerate those hideous bezels just ruining all the beauty?

I run 3 24" LCD's in landscape mode because for some reason I do notice the bezels more in portrait mode because they are much closer together. That said, gaming on 3 monitors, either portrait or landscape still totally blows away gaming on a single monitor. There is no comparison and I don't even play games now that wont work with Eyefinity. If you have never sat down in front of a setup and actually played, sorry but your opinion is worthless and you shouldn't be posting speculations on things you know nothing about. People with 3 screens have a very HUGE advantage over people with one in MP games. I can see people off on either screen by their movement in my peripheral vision. I don't sit there and move my head back and forth constantly looking at the side monitors but if I see movement I'm good at getting that movement to the center monitor so I can make my move. If I did not have the side monitors I would not see that movement and I would be dead. It's your choice...Eyefinity or dead.... :)

ati has the hardware but doesn't have the drivers, nvidia has the drivers but doesn't have the hardware,

funny stuff.

Hate the borders. Ruins it for me, otherwise eyefinity is awesome stuff.

You people make my brain hurt. No matter how many times people say "you don't notice the bezels while gaming" and use scientifically proven FACT about the eyes to prove it you keep saying "the bezels will get in the way". So here, I'll say it in a hard to miss way:

YOU DON'T NOTICE THE BLOODY BEZELS WHILE GAMING! YOU ONLY SEE THEM IN THOSE VIDEOS BECAUSE YOU ARE WATCHING A VIDEO AND NOT PLAYING A GAME!

Here I'll toss in a couple analogies:

When you drive a car do you notice the frame on the windshield?

For those of you that wear glasses do you always notice the frames on your lenses?

When playing a game on a single monitor do you notice anything outside the view of the monitor?

I think it's a simple matter of priorities. I'm not interested in pushing a bajillion pixels in portrait. I'm investing in the technology for the wrap around immersion offered by three displays in landscape ... which isn't to say I'd kick a five wide portrait configuration out of bed. :D I have nothing but hope for this technology but I suppose that's irrelevant. My opinion is "worthless", after all.

No matter how many times people say "you don't notice the bezels while gaming" and use scientifically proven FACT about the eyes to prove it you keep saying "the bezels will get in the way". So here, I'll say it in a hard to miss way:
"Scientifically-proven fact"?

I'm not here to take "sides" on this (because I personally feel that the bezels are a non-issue for multi-display gaming), but until you're able to conclusively demonstrate that User X's gaming experience won't be impeded by the presence of the bezels, I'd rather not hear about any kind of so-called "scientific fact" that only potentially relates to someone's individual experiences. The idea that no one would "notice" them is an over-generalization.

I'm totally with Kyle on needing to experience it before rushing to any judgement about it, but I'm also of the opinion that people can very well be dismayed by the bezels to the point where their experience might be better with single, large monitor (particularly if it has a higher quality panel).

I'm not here to take "sides" on this (because I personally feel that the bezels are a non-issue for multi-display gaming), but until you're able to conclusively demonstrate that User X's gaming experience won't be impeded by the presence of the bezels, I'd rather not hear about any kind of so-called "scientific fact" that only potentially relates to someone's individual experiences. The idea that no one would "notice" them is an over-generalization.

I'm totally with Kyle on needing to experience it before rushing to any judgement about it, but I'm also of the opinion that people can very well be dismayed by the bezels to the point where their experience might be better with single, large monitor (particularly if it has a higher quality panel).

Considering not one single person on this forum (and apparently everyone at the Eyefinity event) who has tried Eyefinity has said anything about the bezels being in the way. Hell, people have been saying that since the Matrox TripleHead2Go came out so its not like there hasn't been a nice "sample size" to draw from.

I guess the thing I am WAITING to see, and haven't, is someone who PURCHASED an Eyefinity rig and says, "I bought everything, tried it, and after a while, couldn't get over the bezels, so I sold everything and went back to a single display"...

Mabye that person exists, but it just seems peculiar that the people who feel so strongly against it don't HAVE it... Just sayin'...

Considering not one single person on this forum (and apparently everyone at the Eyefinity event) who has tried Eyefinity has said anything about the bezels being in the way. Hell, people have been saying that since the Matrox TripleHead2Go came out so its not like there hasn't been a nice "sample size" to draw from.

It really is true. I was one of those who debated the large screen versus 3-screen gaming and ultimately made the jump two years ago after playing it first hand at a buddy's home.

I know there are some who will not believe me, but you really *don't* notice the bezels while gaming. For instance, I play lots of MW2 in triplescreen. I focus solely on the center screen as that is where the action is and where my is HUD when not playing Hardcore.

When it was patched recently, the mod made by Dopefish was broken by the update (a problem Dopefish the frickin' genius quickly solved), but I went to single screen 1600x1200 while I waited for the patch.

I'm not kidding when I say I felt like I was playing the game through a straw. Again, I was only focused on the center screen as always, but my lack of peripheral vision gaming was incredibly noticeable. There is something about the ultra-wide version of playing that just pulls you in.

I understand the skeptics, as I was one, but do yourself a favor and try to find someone with a setup and give it a go.

It really is true. I was one of those who debated the large screen versus 3-screen gaming and ultimately made the jump two years ago after playing it first hand at a buddy's home.

I know there are some who will not believe me, but you really *don't* notice the bezels while gaming. For instance, I play lots of MW2 in triplescreen. I focus solely on the center screen as that is where the action is and where my is HUD when not playing Hardcore.

When it was patched recently, the mod made by Dopefish was broken by the update (a problem Dopefish the frickin' genius quickly solved), but I went to single screen 1600x1200 while I waited for the patch.

I'm not kidding when I say I felt like I was playing the game through a straw. Again, I was only focused on the center screen as always, but my lack of peripheral vision gaming was incredibly noticeable. There is something about the ultra-wide version of playing that just pulls you in.

I understand the skeptics, as I was one, but do yourself a favor and try to find someone with a setup and give it a go.

Thats how I feel with Bioshock 2. I run it at 1680x1050 and turn off my side monitors. I see two black images in my peripheral vision and it drives me nuts. I just got my set up on Friday and I already have issues with single-monitor gaming.

"through a straw"...very well put.

Once I had been on Eye for a month, I tried Crysis on a single display, and even though what I couldn't "see" was the peripheral stuff, I felt like I had blinders on. Simply put, I could NOT go back, after experiencing the increaed FOV.

You really think this is new?

Resolution and widescreen support was shit with the first game as well, until they patched it, and even now it's not perfect due to HUD stretching.

The first game had massive problems with mouse smoothing and acceleration that made it very hard to play for many gamers, and desite a thread with hundreds of replies on their forum, nothing was ever done to help this, not even an INI tweak as a work-around.

BioShock on PC shipped without a walk/run toggle key, resulting in the game's pace being significantly altered. It had to be added in in a patch.

The first game's surround sound was largely broken, due to sounds being in stereo rather than mono, and not panning correctly. For example, the player's footsteps come out of separate speakers, left and right. Don't know if this is in the sequel, but I would not be surprised.

Multiplayer has no dedicated servers and relies entirely upon Microsoft's annoying and half-broken matchmaking and peer-to-peer service.

There is no proper mod support for the games; I'm pretty sure the original included an editor, but it was impossible to actually run mods from the game. The most that one could do was rebalance it using INI changes.

Again, this applies to the first game, but might also appear in the sequel: physics objects and some animation is rendered at 30 fps instead of 60 fps; as a result, all these objects appear to be moving at "half" the speed or framerate of the rest of the game, resulting in an inconsistent appearance at best. This was never fixed in the original.

Short answer? 2K Games does not give a flying fuck whatsoever about their PC community, or even the BioShock community at large. The only real changes they incorporated into their sequel were industry trend-hopping things like multiplayer and "streamlined" (i.e. depth-reducing) gameplay elements. I have not played BioShock 2 just yet, but if I do, it will be because I picked it up in the bargain bin. However, from what I have read of this sequel, the vast majority of the technical issues from the first game still persist - even the ones that were fixed in the single patch the original received. Do not expect 2K Games to address the Eyefinity problems, or any of your other tech support complaints. They do not respect their customers and you should not respect them, end of story. This is sloppy, sloppy work through and through, and 2K Games should be ashamed to let such poor quality out the door two times in a row. Vote with your money and refuse to purchase this festering insult of a game.

Damn, I think I may bite the bullet and pick up a 5870 tonight. I've been playing The Witcher lately, does that support Eyefinity? It's hard to find a good list of tested/supported games. You'd think that would come up in a google search with a link to AMD's official page.

So let me get this straight. Correct me if I'm wrong. You are in a thread all about Eyefinity yet you care nothing about it...Wow that makes total sense! :rolleyes:

You guys are posting so fast, that was to the guy on the page before. My bad

Oh yeah, and gaming on Eyefinity and then going back to a single monitor. It's like having a super model blow you compared to a fat chick that wont even cook...Maybe not that severe but I know I can't go back to single monitor (or fat chicks)

Resolution and widescreen support was shit with the first game as well, until they patched it, and even now it's not perfect due to HUD stretching.

The first game had massive problems with mouse smoothing and acceleration that made it very hard to play for many gamers, and desite a thread with hundreds of replies on their forum, nothing was ever done to help this, not even an INI tweak as a work-around.

BioShock on PC shipped without a walk/run toggle key, resulting in the game's pace being significantly altered. It had to be added in in a patch.

The first game's surround sound was largely broken, due to sounds being in stereo rather than mono, and not panning correctly. For example, the player's footsteps come out of separate speakers, left and right. Don't know if this is in the sequel, but I would not be surprised.

Multiplayer has no dedicated servers and relies entirely upon Microsoft's annoying and half-broken matchmaking and peer-to-peer service.

There is no proper mod support for the games; I'm pretty sure the original included an editor, but it was impossible to actually run mods from the game. The most that one could do was rebalance it using INI changes.

Again, this applies to the first game, but might also appear in the sequel: physics objects and some animation is rendered at 30 fps instead of 60 fps; as a result, all these objects appear to be moving at "half" the speed or framerate of the rest of the game, resulting in an inconsistent appearance at best. This was never fixed in the original.

Short answer? 2K Games does not give a flying fuck whatsoever about their PC community, or even the BioShock community at large. The only real changes they incorporated into their sequel were industry trend-hopping things like multiplayer and "streamlined" (i.e. depth-reducing) gameplay elements. I have not played BioShock 2 just yet, but if I do, it will be because I picked it up in the bargain bin. However, from what I have read of this sequel, the vast majority of the technical issues from the first game still persist - even the ones that were fixed in the single patch the original received. Do not expect 2K Games to address the Eyefinity problems, or any of your other tech support complaints. They do not respect their customers and you should not respect them, end of story. This is sloppy, sloppy work through and through, and 2K Games should be ashamed to let such poor quality out the door two times in a row. Vote with your money and refuse to purchase this festering insult of a game.

The first game didn't have any mod tools either. You don't really see many UE games outside of UT with mod tools these days. Though I recall someone saying that the modifications they made for the first game would make it hard to release a SDK (at least I think I heard that about Bioshock 1, could have been for Mas Effect 1 though).

Damn, I think I may bite the bullet and pick up a 5870 tonight. I've been playing The Witcher lately, does that support Eyefinity? It's hard to find a good list of tested/supported games. You'd think that would come up in a google search with a link to AMD's official page.

Technically as long as the game supports that resolution it supports Eyefinity, the big question is does the FOV scale correctly and is the HUD correct. I'll test out Witcher tonight or tomorrow and let you know, if someone doesn't do so before hand.

Considering not one single person on this forum (and apparently everyone at the Eyefinity event) who has tried Eyefinity has said anything about the bezels being in the way.
That's great. My point, however, is that some people have over-obsessive tendencies and they may come to obsess about the presence of the bezels. I find myself distracted on occasion with monitors that have an on status LED of some sort on the front. A fixation develops on that LED, I fall into an obsessive trap about it and it becomes an annoyance. Thankfully, my monitor has no such light (just a faint pinhole-sized light when it's asleep).

I don't like the one-sizes-fits-all "you won't notice the bezels. period." just as much as I dislike the idea of someone being so unbelievably adamant about the idea that no one could ever possibly be annoyed with bezels, LED lights, shiny things on the front fascia or whatever.

The reason I haven't made the jump to multi-display is not because of the bezels but because of other reasons entirely, but that's not to say I think everyone who might be turned off by the them is wrong.

I think the bezel issue is certainly one aspect of the technology that simply cannot be discussed intelligently without first hand experience.

That's great. My point, however, is that some people have over-obsessive tendencies and they may come to obsess about the presence of the bezels. I find myself distracted on occasion with monitors that have an on status LED of some sort on the front. A fixation develops on that LED, I fall into an obsessive trap about it and it becomes an annoyance. Thankfully, my monitor has no such light (just a faint pinhole-sized light when it's asleep).

I don't like the one-sizes-fits-all "you won't notice the bezels. period." just as much as I dislike the idea of someone being so unbelievably adamant about the idea that no one could ever possibly be annoyed with bezels, LED lights, shiny things on the front fascia or whatever.

The reason I haven't made the jump to multi-display is not because of the bezels but because of other reasons entirely, but that's not to say I think everyone who might be turned off by the them is wrong.

I think people just need to try it before they are capable of making any kind of judgement call on it. There may in fact be people who aren't able to look beyond the bezels, but none of them seem to have tried Eyefinity and so are claiming to be that way without any first-hand knowledge.

my only issue with the bezels is you cant correct for them yet once you can do that it wont be so bad

This site is geared toward the extremist and not the average Best Buy customer. I have an Eyefinity setup and I love it! I'm not trying to sell it to you. I'm not looking for a positive confirmation of my decision. To each his own!

The bezels bother me as much as the A-pillar in my car - I'm not distracted by it.

What bothers me far more than the bezels is the lack of native support from new gaming titles. I don't want to wait until a patch or hotfix is released for things to get sorted out. I understand multi-monitor gaming is far from main stream, but that could change... ;)

Last edited:
what bezels... I don't see any bezels. ;)

btw, I read bezel correction is already in the 10.2 beta drivers.. so it's all but landed.. pretty much.

another very happy eyefinity gamer here also.. I can't wait to get home and night and game on it.

Oh yeah, and gaming on Eyefinity and then going back to a single monitor. It's like having a super model blow you compared to a fat chick that wont even cook...

Best Quote Ever. I am sending this to our PR guys at AMD.

That res sure does sound sexy, but the fact that you have to lower the eye candy to get it playable AND put up with those bezels has gotta ruin it. I think I'd be happier with a single 1920x1200 monitor and all the effects turned on. Unless bezeless displays become affordable, ifinity just hasn't sold me.

This site is geared toward the extremist and not the average Best Buy customer. I have an Eyefinity setup and I love it! I'm not trying to sell it to you. I'm not looking for a positive confirmation of my decision. To each is own!

The bezels bother me as much as the A-pillar in my car - I'm not distracted by it.

What bothers me far more than the bezels is the lack of native support from new gaming titles. I don't want to wait until a patch or hotfix is released for things to get sorted out. I understand multi-monitor gaming is far from main stream, but that could change... ;)

I'm hoping Nvidia pushes developers to have proper multi-monitor support once they launch Nvidia Surround.

That res sure does sound sexy, but the fact that you have to lower the eye candy to get it playable AND put up with those bezels has gotta ruin it. I think I'd be happier with a single 1920x1200 monitor and all the effects turned on. Unless bezeless displays become affordable, ifinity just hasn't sold me.

I had everything on/at max when I ran the game at 5080x1050 and it ran perfectly smooth until the horrible FOV pissed me off.

In all honestly, I find 3x1 landscape even stretched out to be more fun than single monitor, although there is no strategical advantage. The damn racing games that us it right are brutally good and somewhat needed in making you drive better.

Here is another full res shot from one of my fave games to play here latetly!

Bane;Background%20At%203600-1920.png

You people make my brain hurt. No matter how many times people say "you don't notice the bezels while gaming" and use scientifically proven FACT about the eyes to prove it you keep saying "the bezels will get in the way". So here, I'll say it in a hard to miss way:

YOU DON'T NOTICE THE BLOODY BEZELS WHILE GAMING! YOU ONLY SEE THEM IN THOSE VIDEOS BECAUSE YOU ARE WATCHING A VIDEO AND NOT PLAYING A GAME!

Here I'll toss in a couple analogies:

When you drive a car do you notice the frame on the windshield?

For those of you that wear glasses do you always notice the frames on your lenses?

When playing a game on a single monitor do you notice anything outside the view of the monitor?

Better yet, does a front windshield on a car have borders running through it? How easy would driving be if your vision of that little old lady crossing the road had black thick borders going through it?

Better yet, does a front windshield on a car have borders running through it? How easy would driving be if your vision of that little old lady crossing the road had black thick borders going through it?

you mean like some aircraft cockpits and racecars oh wait

again my issue with it is that it stops at one and start another and you can adjust for the gap as if the image continued behind the bezel

So let me get this straight. Correct me if I'm wrong. You are in a thread all about Eyefinity yet you care nothing about it...Wow that makes total sense! :rolleyes:

You guys are posting so fast, that was to the guy on the page before. My bad

Oh yeah, and gaming on Eyefinity and then going back to a single monitor. It's like having a super model blow you compared to a fat chick that wont even cook...Maybe not that severe but I know I can't go back to single monitor (or fat chicks)

i dont know... i know some chubby girls that well.. thats for another thread ;)

Most of those complaints could be said for PC gaming as a whole. Lots of major games are ported from consoles and really just shoved out into PC form without true consideration for the PC community and for a long time it was vice versa. I remember many PC games coming to the consoles that were just straight up broken and couldn't be patched or fixed into passable form , its odd how the tables have turned but consoles are leading the gaming generation. I mean sure you have games like World of Warcraft but thats one of the very few exceptions to the rule , nearly all the of the other games out there are considered for console first.

Consoles have evolved into closed off PC's with hard drives and internet access plus full multiplayer support. PC gaming is a money pit for developers for the most part and even though I'm a PC gamer first I can see why alot of them prefer console development , the biggest reason I personally see companies ditching PC for the consoles is piracy. Yes I know that piracy is there and present for consoles but its alot damn harder to do and most console users are casual players anyway who couldn't install ram to save there own lives.

You just aren't gonna get the foresight and support you would have even 10 years ago, it sucks that Eyefinity isn't properly supported in such a big game like Bioshock 2 and it doesn't make alot of sense since it isn't exactly hard to code it into the game. Another thing that makes PC games suffer is the multi-console porting , the PS3 is a horrible bitch to progam for and even though the 360 is far easier yet it still takes time and after you take the focus off console programing PC development is an entirely different monster.

I'm not trying to make excuses for game developers but in this time and market PC gaming is just on a down turn and economicly its not all that hard to understand why. The best way to send a message to game developers is don't purchase there product and voice your thoughts on there public forum . I think AMD should be breathing down the necks of developers that code in crappy support for something like eyefinity , Nvidia sure has no problem doing it and I think AMD just isn't aggresive enough with its share of the market.

Its a big investment to get into eyefinity no way around that , it should be probably supported and AMD should be showering developers with cash if thats what it takes because you deserve the product you were marketed to and sold.

I don't believe it impairs truck drivers, fire fighters or bus drivers.

I don't believe it impairs truck drivers, fire fighters or bus drivers.

But that is based on lots of things. First, the window size. Two, people become used to accepting it as so. ETC. If you are fine with the bezels, so be it. I personally have never liked bezels in the middle of a screen with games.

Back