Our First Bioshock 2 & Eyefinity Experience

Thanks for the input guys.
It seems to me that this mode will give you higher resolutions than current 30" or 40" monitors can offer right now.
Pretty soon we will see higher resolution monitors coming out though.
I would not want the bezel blockage for my gaming of course, but I do like the multiple vertical positions for full page display.

Thanks and see you out there,
Loki Sunrider
:cool:

The brain is a wonderful thing :) When you are playing a game you really do not notice that the bezel is there. Your brain removes the bezel and merges the images together. Case in point, I have a friend who had permanent damage to his retina so at first he just seems a black spot in his eye. After sometime, the brain adapts and fills in the spot, and he no longer sees the spot. The only time I notice it is during still scenes where a character's face is directly at where the bezel is in, for example Mass Effect 2. Most of the time it's not noticeable.

Also running the fastest videocard in the world at 20-30 fps is a huge turnoff to the tech. Investing $1000+ in videocard and monitor to only have to turn down the graphics to get reasonable framerates.....

I'm sorry, but that statement is just stupid. A single video card running at 3600x1920 at all is freaking amazing. Wasn't long ago that SLI/CF of the highest end cards was considered a requirement just to get games playable for 2560x1600. Heck, the 8800GTX struggled at 1920x1200 when it came out - this is 3x the number of pixels.

Also running the fastest videocard in the world at 20-30 fps is a huge turnoff to the tech. Investing $1000+ in videocard and monitor to only have to turn down the graphics to get reasonable framerates.....

I completely agree. I would be mortified to run a game below it's full graphic potential just so it can run smoothly. I have passed on games that just can't run at full potential and good frame rates on today's current hardware.
But, that's just me.

Loki Sunrider

this vert- stuff needs to get fixed its like this in ME2 as well

I think the bezel issue is the same sort of thing where some people have bifocals and can't stand the ones with the line going across the lens. It's not something you can always just "get over". Everyone is different, especially when it comes to their vision.

I think Eyefinity looks neat, but it's just impractical for most people due to either space and/or cost. Also, more pixels alone do not always a better gaming experience make. A 40" TV may not have the pixel count, but that doesn't mean it's not as imersive or enjoyable as a 3 screen Eyefinity setup for some people.

I'd love to be able to try it out, but I don't have the space or the money to do it right now.

If you like it, enjoy, if not, do what you like. It's not like anyone is forcing Eyefinity on you. God this whole thing is getting worse than the usual NVidia vs ATI fanboy sputter. I for one am thankful Kyle at least puts information like this out here so people know about it. Then make your own decision and let other people make theirs and quit yer bitchin.

Lol, Voodoo SLI I presume? :)

It's good to see Bioshock 2 natively supporting multi-monitor resolutions. We need more of that before it has a chance to catch on. Though I must say that portrait setup in the video isn't showcasing Eyefinity in the best light. Doesn't look like there's more peripheral exposure which is the whole point no?

its not supporting multi monitor at all its just working with any res you throw at it
if it had PROPER mulit monitor it would be H+ not V-

The brain is a wonderful thing :) When you are playing a game you really do not notice that the bezel is there. Your brain removes the bezel and merges the images together. Case in point, I have a friend who had permanent damage to his retina so at first he just seems a black spot in his eye. After sometime, the brain adapts and fills in the spot, and he no longer sees the spot. The only time I notice it is during still scenes where a character's face is directly at where the bezel is in, for example Mass Effect 2. Most of the time it's not noticeable.

Thanks, this is a good explaination on the experience using multi-monitor setup. If anything, this will convince me :)

I agree with previous comments about it being impractical to spend on multi-monitor setup for gaming just "to see if we like it or not" For most of us, thats too expensive of a bet, so we would have to first be convinced before actually spending on the hardware.

Looks cool, but the huge bezel gap make it look less than nice. Like driving with stuck wipers if anyone's seen that.

Broomfondel: "I think our brains must be too highly trained, Magic Thighs."
from HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy. lol

Loki Sunrider
:D

Lol at the intro, too much time at hand?

Nope, same one we have been using for a while. First time I have done a video in a while though, a bit out of practice with the editing and takes. Could have been better. Needed to mic up etc. Need to get back in practice, the video content can be a lot more informative for you guys IMO.

Hehe, OK. Might keep in mind the 1080p X 3 resolution. :) And I think CF is not working yet. So I have been playing this on a "5870" for the last hour just fine. The kids are diggin it. :)

Loki Sunrider

Dude, enough with the stars and the bold text...please.

this vert- stuff needs to get fixed its like this in ME2 as well

I agree, some of this stuff is just bullshit. All the crap over the last year makes you realize how retarded the Unreal 3 engine is.... :( WideScreenFixer for the win. But it is not excusable that AMD does not have its own support to fix these issues at game launch.

I agree with previous comments about it being impractical to spend on multi-monitor setup for gaming just "to see if we like it or not" For most of us, thats too expensive of a bet, so we would have to first be convinced before actually spending on the hardware.

AMD is very much aware of this issue as are some of its partners. I would expect to see more kiosks with setups and "Eyefinity Challenges" in different cities, maybe pushed out by other companies.

Eyefinity is not for everyone, but you really can't judge it by looking at videos/pictures no the web.

My personal experience- I did TONS of research, looking at screenshots, Youtube videos, etc..., so I felt I would be a bit "watered down" when my personal Eyefinity setup was finally done and I launched a game for the first time...

NOT so... At least for me, I STILL belted out a "holy s%*&!" when Hawx launched for the first time. It REALLY has to be experienced to be appreciated.

On bezels, in Landscape it's not even an issue, as they are there to extend the gameworld, and are peripheral. You SHOULDN'T be turning your head to look them. (although I still do from time to time, because it's so damn cool :cool: )

Portrait, they disappear VERY quickly. I am playing through Half Life 2 again in Portrait, JUST because it's so much more immersive having that many pixels in front of you. (and I have a 40" LCD to game on too, and to me, it's NO comparison...I prefer my 3 IPS displays 10 times over).

But I do understand the catch 22 of spending hundreds of dollars to "try something". I do a lot of video work, so I justified it by telling myself I could use the extra desktop space anywyas....It turns out I would NOT trade Eyefinity for anything at this point. (I am finding it harder and harder to just game on one display. I literally feel "cut off" now without my extended viewing area- it's THAT addictive).

So I another one that likes it as much as my old Voodoo 2 SLI setup...:D

Just my .02.

With Catalyst 10.1, you now actually have a usable intermediate resolution (3150x1680). Could use that to boost the framerates a bit if you want to keep all of the eye candies on. I tried that with another UE3 based game, Borderlands, and don't notice much image quality drop compared to 3600x1920.

portrait mode works fine becouse its 15:8 which falls between 16:9 and 16:10
the issue comes up with wider then 16:9

thats what im talking about ATi/AMD even listed ME2 as being an Eyefinity game and it has major issues in landscape mode totally unplayable

I agree there...

It's very frustrating to have to seek out 3rd party "fixes" for games that are listed as "supported".

I guess it's par for the course with new tech. I remember when 3dFX launched, waiting for patches to come out so you could run your games 3d-accelerated... those were the days...:cool:

portrait mode works fine becouse its 15:8 which falls between 16:9 and 16:10
the issue comes up with wider then 16:9

Did you misquote my post? :p I was responding to Kyle on how to boost his framerates.

Anyways, 15:8 is wider than both 16:9 and 16:10, not inbetween.

15:8 = 1.875:1
16:9 = 1.778:1
16:10 = 1.600:1

It's a shame that there aren't more Eyefinity challenge style events going on because I QQ a little inside for the people that mention the word bezel when they see photos/videos of it.

It's easy to notice the bezels when you're watching a video of Eyefinity, taken at a distance, showing on a single screen. It's not easy to notice them when you're sat in the middle of 66 inches of display that gives you game world right to the extremes of your visual field. The game world moves as you move your mouse. The bezels are static in comparison and your brain just tunes them out.

I just don't get this whole ifinity malarky. I'd much rather add together the small fortune I would have spent on 3 LCDs and buy one big one.
Besides that, how long is it going to be viable? Sure it can run current games well but give it a year and they'll be games out that will tax the pants off it, and then you'll either have to play at lower quality or use one moniter.
It's a bit of a gimmick imo, and a short term one at that. And yes, i've seen it in action.
With the money spent on a high end radeon 5*** and two or three moniters, you're probably not far off a 120Hz moniter and nvidia's 3D gear.

Did you misquote my post? :p I was responding to Kyle on how to boost his framerates.

then my math is off but its for sure not wider then 16:9

Sure it can run current games well but give it a year and they'll be games out that will tax the pants off it, and then you'll either have to play at lower quality or use one moniter.

You could say this about any graphics card or any display. You either upgrade your system, or you reduce the graphic detail or resolution. It's what all of us have been doing for the last decade.

The situation is no different than if you bought a 30" screen (which would also cost more than 3x23") and upgraded your GPU. It would last you 6-12 months before you were dropping down to 1920x1080, or reducing settings.

It's a shame that there aren't more Eyefinity challenge style events going on because I QQ a little inside for the people that mention the word bezel when they see photos/videos of it.

It's easy to notice the bezels when you're watching a video of Eyefinity, taken at a distance, showing on a single screen. It's not easy to notice them when you're sat in the middle of 66 inches of display that gives you game world right to the extremes of your visual field. The game world moves as you move your mouse. The bezels are static in comparison and your brain just tunes them out.

I assume you mean 3x22" in landscape mode. It's actually not quite 66". I feel my math sense tingling :D I'll save you the details, but after some Pythagorean theorems and algebra, it comes out to about 57.17", assuming the monitors are 16:10. Totally useless info, but that's just the engineer in me talking :p

I assume you mean 3x22" in landscape mode. It's actually not quite 66". I feel my math sense tingling :D I'll save you the details, but after some Pythagorean theorems and algebra, it comes out to about 57.17", assuming the monitors are 16:10. Totally useless info, but that's just the engineer in me talking :p

LOL! Yes I actually started thinking about Pythagoras theorem, then remembered it was 20 years ago that I learnt that and after a minute I took a wild guess at 66" as that seemed about right! I would imagine most people are using 20-24" screens for Eyefinity.

EDIT: I'm using three 23" 16:9 displays, if you're wanting to exercise your theorem. ^.^

then my math is off but its for sure not wider then 16:9
Well, I'm not sure how else to explain this, but 1.875 > 1.778 > 1.6 :p

Hey Kyle,

Thanks so much for bringing attention to the area of triple-screen gaming. Those of us who have been using the Matrox Triplehead2Go unit for the past several years have fallen in love with how immersive 3-monitor gaming is.

It really is ridiculous that this game does not support landscape triplehead mode when the original Bioshock was patched by 2K to do it without the need for Dopefish's mod.

I honestly don't get it.

Sure it can run current games well but give it a year and

And new hardware will be out that can run it. There is also Crossfire, etc.

Also, the initial cost unless you are going IPS panels or projectors is actually quite affordable considering.

Well, I'm not sure how else to explain this, but 1.875 > 1.778 > 1.6.

guess it is doesnt seem like it from looking at the setup
ether way its not much wider unlike landscape thats 4.8:1 or worse 5.3:1

edit was think using 1080 screens which make it 1.69:1

Last edited:
Those of us who have been using the Matrox Triplehead2Go unit for the past several years have fallen in love with how immersive 3-monitor gaming is.

+1. I can never go back to one monitor. Looking forward to more native support from games from now on...

Yeah. Eyefinity with landscape makes sense to me, it's an exciting prospect ... but portrait mode? Why wouldn't one simply invest in a big ass TV? Nothing crazy expensive of course, but at first blush a large flatscreen television would appear to be a better solution regardless of a reduced resolution. No bezels, less hassle, probably quite a bit less grunt required to push the pixels resulting in reduced cost (at least with regard to the GPU config).

Yeah. Eyefinity with landscape makes sense to me, it's an exciting prospect ... but portrait mode? Why wouldn't one simply invest in a big ass TV? Nothing crazy expensive of course, but at first blush a large flatscreen television would appear to be a better solution regardless of a reduced resolution. No bezels, less hassle, probably quite a bit less grunt required to push the pixels resulting in reduced cost (at least with regard to the GPU config).
because its still a wider view isnt it?

resolution
1920x1080 or 3600x1920 or 3240x1920 a 30"+ monitor maxes out at 2560x1920 so its still wider ether way
and monitor with higher res then that cost WAY more

Why would I use this video mode instead of just buying a large 30" or 40" monitor instead?

Would someone please explain.

Thanks,

Loki Sunrider
:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JjUJR5zBXY&feature=related
Basically, watch the video above. If you look in the center of the video, you'll see the 'Hud' aka the user-interface. Like the radar/map in the upper-left corner of the 'center' area and your gun/ammo information in the lower right of the 'center' area.

Where the information about your weapon/map ends, is where one-monitor ends.

If you had a big 40" monitor, you would only see where that hud ends and NOTHING ELSE in that video. With three monitors and eyefinity, you get to see all that extra stuff on the left and right. Its literately 3 times as wide of a picture so you can see whats on your left and you can see whats on your right. With a 40" screen, you get the same wideness as 1-22" screen. So there's no advantage. With eyefinity, you get three times the width.
People want it because you can see much more of the gameworld at any given time.

Kyle I hate to say it man but you just highlighted the one big complaint about AMD/ATi.

Yes, you are correct in your assumptions. Eyefinity is a bit expensive and it would be cheaper to choose 1 say 42" 1080p tv that does 60 or 120hz input for around $1000.00 than three monitors but the trade off is a less resolution. TV's also tend to have overscan where it cuts off the side, top and left/right portions of the image by a small bit to correct for data-transmittion signal stuff(black bars with moving white looking peices) and all kinds of other stuff that can exist on the edges. So with a TV, your actually running at 1920x1080 versus 1920x1200(which is a larger aspect ratio to begin with) and then your losing some of your 1920x1080 to overscan.

So really, your comparing like 1900x1050 to 1920x1200 if your just comparing a single monitor. The triple monitor portrait setups, worth to a better AR than 1920x1200, so you do get a bit wider of a view by like 10%.

Although if cost was no object, the best solution would be triple high quality 1080p projectors and run three 1080p screens side by side as you'd have no bezels.

Most people prefer Landscape though as its the more dramatic advantage. IE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JjUJR5zBXY&feature=related

However, its ultimately up to you which mode you choose. I'd personally stick with landscape, landscape and more landscape if the choice were mine :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JjUJR5zBXY&feature=related
Basically, watch the video above. If you look in the center of the video, you'll see the 'Hud' aka the user-interface. Like the radar/map in the upper-left corner of the 'center' area and your gun/ammo information in the lower right of the 'center' area.

Where the information about your weapon/map ends, is where one-monitor ends.

If you had a big 40" monitor, you would only see where that hud ends and NOTHING ELSE in that video. With three monitors and eyefinity, you get to see all that extra stuff on the left and right. Its literately 3 times as wide of a picture so you can see whats on your left and you can see whats on your right. With a 40" screen, you get the same wideness as 1-22" screen. So there's no advantage. With eyefinity, you get three times the width.
People want it because you can see much more of the gameworld at any given time.

thats a bad ex. MW2 is vert- FOV sucks bad on that one too

I think you're missing a "not" from the front page, currently it says :

"Shame on 2K and AMD for getting this done for the release of this game"

Should do a vid on the bad company 2 beta, apparently that works with no probs.

kyle task amd TASK THEM DAMN YOU they need to really support eyefinity or nv will kill them in multi-monitor segment

I just don't get this whole ifinity malarky. I'd much rather add together the small fortune I would have spent on 3 LCDs and buy one big one.
Besides that, how long is it going to be viable? Sure it can run current games well but give it a year and they'll be games out that will tax the pants off it, and then you'll either have to play at lower quality or use one moniter.
It's a bit of a gimmick imo, and a short term one at that. And yes, i've seen it in action.
With the money spent on a high end radeon 5*** and two or three moniters, you're probably not far off a 120Hz moniter and nvidia's 3D gear.

That's certainly your opinion, and your option to take...

But I can tell you I have a high end 40" LCD and after trying it went RIGHT back to my Eyefinity setup of 3 22" IPSs. It's just better resolution, and more immersive with the added field of view. (Heck I just got rid a of nice 52" DLP HD TV- just wasn't the same.)

As far as a gimmick- people said that about 3D acceleration as well. It's all in the "eye of the beholder". If it doesn't do it for ya'...cool. But I was the guy who had 2 Voodoo 2s in SLI back in the day, and ejoyed the heck out of it, So that's just me- but I think
"gimmick" is a bit strong. Heck, the WGF should show you there are a LOT more people enjoying this "eyefinity malarky" these days.

However, its ultimately up to you which mode you choose. I'd personally stick with landscape, landscape and more landscape if the choice were mine :)
Truth. Don't get me wrong, I'm lovin' multi-display gaming. I'll be running three displays before 2010 is in the books, but it'll be landscape all the way for this cat. If I want the "portrait" experience, I have a 50" plasma for that. I realize I'm sacrificing a lot in terms of resolution, but I think I'd rather suffer that than the obtrusive bezels in portrait. Though I haven't actually sat myself in front of a three wide gaming setup, I can say with some confidence (having watched a ton of video on the subject) that the bezels in landscape are a non-issue for me. They're spaced far enough apart (in the peripheral) so as not to be a major concern.

Again, I've had no first hand experience. I could be way off base. Just my initial impression.

lol love your way with words Mr Bennett everytime I come home and read stuff like that it puts a big smile on my face :D
so you get a kick out of seeing Kyle be a little rude to a member because they are bothered by something that he isnt? :confused:

On the subject of eyefinity, whatever the hell happened that triple monitor setup samsung were showing off and saying would be available in mid december? Looks pretty nice with the adjustable stand and all but so far theyve yet to hit stores. =/

I'll wait to buy a 42"+ 1080p plasma. I don't see the point in this tech other than for productivity.

Back