OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by _Gea, Dec 30, 2010.

1. WishYou

WishYou n00b

That was it, thank you!
    TLS email jobs being default without the necessary libs, revering to regular smtp/25 sorted it out. This being all local net I'll leave it for now. :)

Regards,
    Wish

2. dedobot

dedobot [H]Lite

Hi again :)
    New project, new questions:
    1. HGST Ultrastar He12 12TB HUH721212ALE604 512e or 4Kn ?
    2.They'll be brand new 12 drives , no mixing, provided by Intel's c622@SuperMicro X11SPM-F_-TF_-TPF . Solaris/Solarish - it will be latter decision . No ZoL, very little chance for ZoF.

I need advice for position #1 and general thoughts about #2 .

Thanks in advance .
    P.S.
    The main filler's "User" is begging me for single raidz2/3, my plan is 2x6raidZ2 in stripe (60), I'll not surrender :).

P.S.2
    Large media files :
    40% still image sequences, where the smalest chunks are 30mb minimum,
    60% "1GB+" files.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

512e or 4kn
    Does not matter for ZFS, both are 4k physical and ZFS will use both with ashift=12 (4k mode)

Dual vdev (ex 2 x 6 Z2) vs one vdev (Z2/3)
    Sequential performance is quite similar, With dual vdev you loose capacity but your pool has twice the iops. Important for small random io (this includes access to metadate) or resilvering time.

4. dedobot

dedobot [H]Lite

Yep _Gea
    I'm grateful, may be for a double digits in a row. The time to move a step forward has come.
    OFF TOPIC :
    Month ago I made media storage - LSI 9631-8i, RAID 10, SATA multi path, 8 used 4TB HGST HUS724040ALE640, MB Asus x79, Win2012r2 Essent. Emergency build, users satisfied. But I'm not impressed at all with the result. Not to bash LSI off course - best in the class, but lack of setup/setting/tuning options and especially - the inadequately documentation is annoying .

Will report the final outcome of the present effort- week for the MB's delivery but.

Regards!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  5. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

Do you mean LSI 9361-8i ?
    This is a Raid 5/6 controller, not good for ZFS. Use a pure HBA (LSI 2008, 9207 or 3008 chipsets), best with IT mode firmware, IR firmware is ok - nothing else.

6. dedobot

dedobot [H]Lite

Running its own FW Lsi Storage Authority Raid under Windows environment, pretty "default" config , ex me for the misunderstanding .

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  7. grendel19

grendel19 Gawd

Anyone with experience installing the latest LTS Omniosce on a UEFI mobo? I have a new Supermicro A2SDi-2C-HLN4F, bios and IPMI firmware are all up to date. I've been at it for 2 days and noted that the mobo is fine when booting up with an UEFI bootable USB and virtual CDROM mounted in IPMI (tested with Ubuntu).

Tried many methods with the Omniosce ISO and DD image on a USB stick and CDROM and the mobo would never recognize it, even in Legacy or Dual boot mode. I also looked at launching boot by coping the ISO contents and using grub and the EFI shell.

Any suggestions would be appreciated at this point.

8. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

Depending on disk driver there is a 16 disk limit - beside that your Raid controller is a quite bad choice for ZFS. You may want to use an Expander or the LSI 9305-24 (supported by newer Illumos systems via mpt-sas driver) or simply several HBAs with fewer ports.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  9. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

You may ask at illumos-discuss where devs are around
    https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/discuss

10. dedobot

dedobot [H]Lite

Ha, yesterday I played install UEFI vs bios, but with solaris 11.4 at asus x79 sabretooth. Worked in both cases.
    Usb prepared with rufus under win7, mbr scheme for the bios install, gpt partition scheme for UEFI.
    Bios settings defaults except efi-legacyboot setup.
    In uefi mode, when replacing boot mirror drive , needs to reinstall grub manually - read about it , not tested by myself.
    Hope this can help.

Edit:
    Manage to install omnios at the same mobo -gpt.
    Legacy usb3 support OFF and nothing plugged in the usb3 ports. The later causes omnios to crash between the first screen and the language choose.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  11. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U