OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro

Battery life can always be improved- as can the software backing the camera.

But what I really want to see is someone willing to compete with Google in the smaller (non-Plus) space with a premium featureful phone.
I agree. I want one plus to do a true mid ranger phone with premium features.

Sprint to Launch 5G Smartphone from OnePlus

https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-to-launch-5g-smartphone-from-oneplus.htm

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. and NEW YORK, Aug. 6, 2019/PRNewswire/ -- Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced its fourth 5G device and first smartphone with OnePlus, a global mobile technology company. Device specifications, pricing and exact timing will be announced soon.

"We value OnePlus’ reputation for balancing high-end quality at a great value," said Dow Draper, Sprint chief commercial officer. "This new smartphone gives Sprint customers another exciting option for accessing their True Mobile 5G experience."

Sprint 5G is currently available in areas of Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and Kansas City, and the company expects to launch service in areas of Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix and Washington, D.C., in the coming weeks. Sprint’s True Mobile 5G network will cover approximately 2,100 square miles and 11 million people total across all nine market launch areas, giving Sprint the largest initial 5G coverage footprint in the U.S.

"We are proud to join with Sprint to bring an ultra-premium smartphone to their network," said Kyle Kiang, OnePlus chief marketing officer. "As a community-driven company, we are thrilled to tell OnePlus enthusiasts on the Sprint network that the wait is finally over. This is a tremendous opportunity to expose Sprint customers to the award-winning OnePlus brand."

Is Sprint's new OnePlus phone the seven pro? Or is it some newer better version? 7t Pro?

Is Sprint's new OnePlus phone the seven pro? Or is it some newer better version? 7t Pro?

No idea at this point. I would imagine that it is the 5G Pro that they released in Europe, but could be a US centric version. Not that 5G is widely available in the US at this time but should reach more users within the next 2 years or so.

No idea at this point. I would imagine that it is the 5G Pro that they released in Europe, but could be a US centric version. Not that 5G is widely available in the US at this time but should reach more users within the next 2 years or so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most of what 5G (not the AT&T mislabeling of LTE) brings over 4G LTE essentially a close-range high-bandwidth option similar to WiFi, but over the cell radio?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most of what 5G (not the AT&T mislabeling of LTE) brings over 4G LTE essentially a close-range high-bandwidth option similar to WiFi, but over the cell radio?

It's cellular data, it's just very high frequency (in the tens of gigahertz range) compared to what we're used to. Carriers are working on rolling out sub-6GHz 5G that should offer better coverage, if not necessarily as radical an improvement in speed.

It's cellular data, it's just very high frequency (in the tens of gigahertz range) compared to what we're used to. Carriers are working on rolling out sub-6GHz 5G that should offer better coverage, if not necessarily as radical an improvement in speed.

I guess I'm being dismissive of the tech because it doesn't solve the frequency vs. distance problem in any way- so to use that signal you'd have to be very close to the carrier radios.

The main benefit I'm seeing is that they're opening up otherwise unavailable spectrum, and that it's coming from national carriers so data access negotiations are already taken care of versus each individual WiFi hotspot.

Maybe that's enough to make it attractive- I just don't see the utility of having that much bandwidth available on a phone yet. I do see the usefulness in subdividing bandwidth for more clients though, if that's what's happening.

I guess I'm being dismissive of the tech because it doesn't solve the frequency vs. distance problem in any way- so to use that signal you'd have to be very close to the carrier radios.

The main benefit I'm seeing is that they're opening up otherwise unavailable spectrum, and that it's coming from national carriers so data access negotiations are already taken care of versus each individual WiFi hotspot.

Maybe that's enough to make it attractive- I just don't see the utility of having that much bandwidth available on a phone yet. I do see the usefulness in subdividing bandwidth for more clients though, if that's what's happening.

To some extent you're right. This could avoid some of the spectrum crunch that we've seen with LTE where networks bog down over time.

I'd say it's not just about raw bandwidth, though. It's also about latency. Online VR, games and other very lag-sensitive apps should behave nicely on 5G where they might struggle on LTE. That could provide an immediate benefit even if the improved speeds aren't useful for years.

My 7 Pro just died out of the blue today. Working fine one second, next time I picked it up it was completely dead. No response with charging cable or connecting to pc. Never exhibited any issues prior.

Just gave away my Nexus 5X earlier this week too. Went to Fry's and picked up some pos Blu phone for $60 because OnePlus says it'll take 7-10 days for repair process.

Not an Apple fan, but definitely an entirely different experience when my gf's iPhone was randomly rebooting last week. Took it to the store, they gave her a loaner, and took care of everything.

My OnePlus 7 Pro

phone.png

So now that you're back with a seven pro I'm very curious to hear your true thoughts and it compared to the Pixel 3 XL .

Battery life comparison?
Smoothness and fluid OS?
Network and carrier connection?
How about the speakers?

So now that you're back with a seven pro I'm very curious to hear your true thoughts and it compared to the Pixel 3 XL .

Battery life comparison?
Smoothness and fluid OS?
Network and carrier connection?
How about the speakers?
Battery life is noticeably better. When I transferred my content (84GB of apps, videos, music etc.) both phones were at 100%. About 3/4 through, the 3XL was dead. Had to put it on a charging stand to keep it going. My 7 Pro was down to about 30% when the process finished.

Everything runs very smooth and fast on the 7 Pro. I have the 12GB/256GB version, so that extra RAM + 855 chip + 90hz screen has to be making a big difference. By turning off the animations on my 3 XL (through developer options), it helps the phone perform quicker, though still not quite as smoothly as the 7 Pro.

Both phones work flawlessly on T-Mobile. Can't say I see any difference.

Speakers are pretty loud. Seem louder than those on the 3 XL.

Videos on the 7 Pro look amazing! The screen is easily the best feature, IMO. I haven't had any typing problems with the curved screen.

I do like the idea, have they sorted keeping pocket lint out of the camera? I heard rumors of that being an issue, but don't have any first (or second) hand knowledge.

I do like the idea, have they sorted keeping pocket lint out of the camera? I heard rumors of that being an issue, but don't have any first (or second) hand knowledge.

If it moves, it can break... that camera module is a hard no go for me on a phone.

If it moves, it can break... that camera module is a hard no go for me on a phone.

I keep saying that to myself too but I can't remember the last time I took a selfie. I would literally never use it so I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking. I'm still hesitant though with no microSD card slot. Its one of the biggest reasons I want to move to android from iphone.

I keep saying that to myself too but I can't remember the last time I took a selfie. I would literally never use it so I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking. I'm still hesitant though with no microSD card slot. Its one of the biggest reasons I want to move to android from iphone.

Call the SO all the time with it- so selfies not so much, but videocom?

Plus, there is absolutely no question that I'd drop the phone on it while it's popped out.

Call the SO all the time with it- so selfies not so much, but videocom?

Plus, there is absolutely no question that I'd drop the phone on it while it's popped out.
the phone auto retracts the pop up camera if it detects a fall. Non issue IMO.

Yeah- I have seen a couple of drop tests, it retracts pretty darn quick.

the phone auto retracts the pop up camera if it detects a fall. Non issue IMO.
Yeah- I have seen a couple of drop tests, it retracts pretty darn quick.
I tried the drop with the camera exposed. It retracted immediately.(y)

Last edited:
I agree. It is a none issue only to the vain people that constantly take selfie. Those people will more then likely be on the iPhone so it still irrelevant.

Last edited:
Back