A few observations...

PRO
Lightning quick performance
Screen is stunning
On-screen scanner is very responsive
Oxygen OS rocks!

Haven't tested battery life, yet

CON - It's a big one!!!
Google dialer and camera apps are not compatible... WTF? I've tried downloading to the phone, but they go straight to trash. Any suggestions?

Super cool.

I'm most interested to hear how battery life is. That's one of my big knocks on my Pixel 3 XL, battery life is just ok, not bad, but certainly not amazing either.

Also how's the curved edge screen? That's one thing I'm not sure I'd like. Mainly concerned the grip would be less, and ghost touches by accident on the edge. Curious your opinion.

I'll take a look at that thread and keep digging for a solution. Not quite ready to give up on my 7 Pro, yet. The dialer is a BIG deal for me, though.

The curved screen hasn't been a problem at all. Last curved screen I used was the Samsung S7 Edge... hated it. The 7 Pro's screen is far superior for typing.

Yeah you just got the 7 Pro hours ago, you gotta stick it out for at least the weekend and put the time into seeing if you can get these apps installed and get somewhat comfortable with the phone, before mking final decision.

Curious, since I am on the Pixel phone, what's different between Google's stock Phone app vs Oxygen OS Phone app? Aren't they both stock type Dialer's?

Google dialer's app is great against spam. Best I've used. The floating call bubble is a nice touch, too. Might not see like much, but I really like them.

Google dialer's app is great against spam. Best I've used. The floating call bubble is a nice touch, too. Might not see like much, but I really like them.

Yeah I like those too, guess I take them for granted after having them on my 2 XL then 3 XL. So the OnePlus phones don't have that then? Hmm...thought they copied AOSP

Every time I tried to open the Google dialer after installing one of the .apk files, I got this... :mad:

Google dialer incompatible.jpg

Are you using the Google Play store to try and install these ?

Or actually downloading the .apk from a website and installing ?

Are you using the Google Play store to try and install these ?

Or actually downloading the .apk from a website and installing ?
Downloading various .apk files from XDA, then installing directly from the phone. Either the install crashes OR it works, but when I click open the app, it takes me to that screen.

You really want to return the 7 Pro and get the iPhone XS Max LOL :)
Isn't that more your style? :ROFLMAO:

Prediction: Z will buy an XS Max and quickly declare it the greatest smartphone ever created.

One week later: Z will declare his surprising satisfaction with the performance of iOS.

One week later: Z will begin to wax longingly for the freedom and customization of Android.

One week later: Z will muse about the OnePlus 6T.

One week later: Z will buy an OP 6T and quickly declare it the greatest smartphone ever created, along with the thrill of being back on Android.

One week later: Z will muse about liking the OP 6T, but wanting the "pure" Android experience.

One week later: Z will return to his Pixel 3XL and quickly declare it the greatest smartphone ever created, along with the thrill of being back on "pure" Android.

One week later: Z will muse about whether the 2019 iPhone and iOS 13 will incorporate some of the best features of Android, thus presenting us with the greatest smartphone ever created.

One week later: Z will post advanced speculation on the new phones on the horizon for 2019.

:D

I've been on my Pixel 3 XL since October last year, and I am satisfied comfortable, no other Android phone is getting me excited. I hate Samsung Galaxy phones. LG phones blow, been there done that. HTC is done.

Only the OnePlus 7 Pro interests me right now over my 3 XL.

If I get a new phone this year, it'll be the Pixel 4 XL, or OnePlus 7 Pro.

Returned my 7 Pro today. I like a lot about it, but want to see what the 4XL offers before I make a final decision.

Returned my 7 Pro today. I like a lot about it, but want to see what the 4XL offers before I make a final decision.

Wow, didn't expect that. Thought you would give it a week to really test it and see.

Guess it wasn't that great over the Pixel 3 XL?

Everything I'm reading about the pixel 4XL is basically just another 3XL with 2019 hardware inside, and a large forehead top bezel.

Guess it wasn't that great over the Pixel 3 XL?
This... after a full day with it, the only real, noticeable difference is the screen and, to a lesser extent, battery life.

If the 4XL isn't a significant improvement, then I'll just ride out this cycle with my 3XL and see what 2020 brings us.

this brings up a point I've been thinking about in others too that yearly upgrades for smartphones just aren't really worth it nowadays The year to year difference between phone models has really lessened .

Look at the brand new iPhone 11 coming out compared to last year's iPhone XS, everyone saying it's a very minimal upgrade at best .

Even the Pixel 2XL versus the 3 XL is not radically different or much better whatsoever.

If you had the Pixel 1 from 2016, going to the OnePlus 7 Pro would feel like a huge upgrade. But a 2018 phone to a 2019 phone, not so much.

If you had the Pixel 1 from 2016, going to the OnePlus 7 Pro would feel like a huge upgrade. But a 2018 phone to a 2019 phone, not so much.

Even then- I made a switch back off of phablets with the Pixel 1 non-XL, and would like to stay there. I'm more interested in battery life and retaining features, and not at all interested in flashy fragile phones.

Also, no phones from Chinese companies (which includes OnePlus). I find that unfortunate myself, but it is what it is.

So I'm mostly stuck at the Pixel 3a. It's more rugged than the Pixel 3 and probably 4, and that's a problem I'd had on my original Pixel- the glass on the back that covers the top 1/3 of the phone including the rear camera shattered. Now I have to use a phone condom on what was a svelte phone. The battery life is better but probably not close to best for class- but at least it has a headphone jack!

Only really missing wireless charging, which doesn't appear to be ready for prime-time itself.

And I haven't upgraded because the Pixel 1 hasn't died yet. It's started lagging more in the last few weeks and battery life has gotten pretty bad, but for my day-to-day non-use it still works.

Even then- I made a switch back off of phablets with the Pixel 1 non-XL, and would like to stay there. I'm more interested in battery life and retaining features, and not at all interested in flashy fragile phones.

Also, no phones from Chinese companies (which includes OnePlus). I find that unfortunate myself, but it is what it is.

So I'm mostly stuck at the Pixel 3a. It's more rugged than the Pixel 3 and probably 4, and that's a problem I'd had on my original Pixel- the glass on the back that covers the top 1/3 of the phone including the rear camera shattered. Now I have to use a phone condom on what was a svelte phone. The battery life is better but probably not close to best for class- but at least it has a headphone jack!

Only really missing wireless charging, which doesn't appear to be ready for prime-time itself.

And I haven't upgraded because the Pixel 1 hasn't died yet. It's started lagging more in the last few weeks and battery life has gotten pretty bad, but for my day-to-day non-use it still works.
I hope Google continues the 3a with the 4a...

Everything I'm reading about the pixel 4XL is basically just another 3XL with 2019 hardware inside, and a large forehead top bezel.

That's not what I'm reading so far..

• 6+ GBs of RAM (considerable upgrade over the 4GB in all previous Pixels and finally brings them up to match competition from the last couple years).
  • Extra wide angle or zoom lens camera (latest news points to zoom, which is unfortunate as I would prefer wide angle)
  • No massive notch or camera hole intruding on the screen.
  • New unidentified sensors on the front for a potential Face ID competitor or better display calibration.
Maybe doesn't seem like a lot, but the removal of the notch alone and extra RAM brings the phone back into consideration for me. I have certainly ran into RAM limitations on my phone occasionally (not a lot though) just by using the phone in my car sometimes (streaming music while navigating and/or talking on the phone all using Android Auto), although it could be due to software bugs, I haven't seen my wife's Note 9 having any of the similar issues under the same conditions before. Otherwise I'm still good on my 2 XL until the first time I see the 4 XL go on sale for a few hundred off or something like they've been doing on then Pixel 3s a lot since it has been out.

Download Accubattery in the Play Store to see what your battery's capacity is (it takes a few large charge cycles to get a good estimate). If it's under 70% or so, then you can get it replaced by a local uBreakFix (Google's authorized repair facilities) for $80 I think and restore your battery to new again. Or unless you're comfortable repairing phones yourself (as I am since I've replaced batteries and components on all of my previous phones including the One M8 and Nexus 6P), you can get an OEM replacement battery and tools for $33. Though their guide does claim it's difficult to replace, the worst part seems to be getting the battery out because they used double sided adhesive instead of the pull tabs you see in a lot of other phones.

That's not what I'm reading so far..

• 6+ GBs of RAM (considerable upgrade over the 4GB in all previous Pixels and finally brings them up to match competition from the last couple years).
  • Extra wide angle or zoom lens camera (latest news points to zoom, which is unfortunate as I would prefer wide angle)
  • No massive notch or camera hole intruding on the screen.
  • New unidentified sensors on the front for a potential Face ID competitor or better display calibration.
+

The only thing I don't like about the Oneplus 7 is that the rear camera sticks out a bit.

Don't tempt me

My biggest beef with my Pixel 3 XL is crappy battery life.
It's a great phone. I had the blue 12GB/256GB version. I would have kept it if the Google Dialer could have been used. I might get it again if the 4XL doesn't impress me.

It's a great phone. I had the blue 12GB/256GB version. I would have kept it if the Google Dialer could have been used. I might get it again if the 4XL doesn't impress me.
I don't think it's gonna do it. It's going to very similar to one plus 7 performance wise but with a worse screen and no 90hz. Battery will be a wash or slightly worse. A gimmicky sonar based face unlock... Not saying it's gonna be a bad phone just not sure how different it will be..

They article doesn't seem 100% sure. And if so, the only real upgrade will be the SD855+ which is just an overclocked SD855, running faster and hotter.

Everything else they say will be pretty much the same.

For a big update it will be the 8 Pro

The only thing they can improve on is the camera sensors. Let's see what they do...

The only thing they can improve on is the camera sensors. Let's see what they do...

Battery life can always be improved- as can the software backing the camera.

But what I really want to see is someone willing to compete with Google in the smaller (non-Plus) space with a premium featureful phone.

Back