OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro

Discussion in 'Smart Phones and Devices' started by Commander Shepard, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Usual_suspect

Usual_suspect Limp Gawd

Eventually prices go up, whether it be cost of doing business, or providing a better product. While I agree they had phones in the $200-$300 range, they were competing against phones that cost $700.

As for the price cuts, namely on Samsung phones probably has to do with factors like: initial hype sales allows them to keep prices high, and after the hype has died down lower the prices to try and keep them selling. That or when they aren’t selling as well as they were expecting they need to clear out inventory to make investors happy.

I know one common thing I read about Samsung is their slow as molasses updates, which I’ve experienced first hand. I’ve read about One Plus is they’re great at getting timely updates out, which is an understated feature more often than not. That’s one of the main reason the Pixel line has been able to do well, and why iPhones continue to sell like hot cakes even at sky high prices.

2. entropism

entropism 2[H]4U

Eh, in the past I would agree, but since the S9, the updates are coming pretty quickly, for Samsung. Obviously, it's not at Pixel/iPhone speed, but let's be honest here: Monthly security updates are so minor, you'd never know which one you were on unless you checked the software version. I'm not saying they're not important, I'm just saying fast updates are usually blown out of proportion.

I WOULD say that updates to new versions of Android are a lot more important, and OnePlus definitely has an advantage there.

3. Usual_suspect

Usual_suspect Limp Gawd

I wouldn’t go that far. It has an IPS LCD vs AMOLED, lower resolution, smaller screen, less default storage, and there’s no mention of price difference between upgraded models with more storage and RAM. I know it has expandable storage, but that’s an extra cost if you don’t have a spare SD Card lying around. It does have a headphone jack, but myself, and from what I’ve witnessed first hand I see a lot of people with Bluetooth earbuds so that’s not really a feature I think is OMG important but YMMV.

Also, it doesn’t have support for Bands 66 and 71, meaning T-Mobile customers won’t be able to utilize those two bands when they’re available. The fingerprint sensor location looks like it’d be hard for people with smaller hands to reach.

Edit: I’m also wondering the durability of the camera mechanism. OnePlus supposedly had a 12 hour video demonstrating the 300k uses of the selfie camera going up and down claim.

Does it have a feature like the OnePlus 7 Pro where the camera will retract if you drop the phone?

(Comparing it to the OnePlus 7 Pro)

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  4. Aurelius

Aurelius 2[H]4U

It does have a safety feature for the camera in the event of a drop, which is somewhat reassuring. But yes, the Zenfone 6 strikes me as a 90-percent-of-the-way device where there are lots of little bits that prevent it from rising to the OP7 Pro's level. It's not even so much LCD versus AMOLED as that OnePlus is using a particularly good AMOLED panel with a 90Hz refresh that no one else seems to have right now. I have an iPad Pro with a 120Hz panel, and it kinda ruins you for other displays.

CHANG3D likes this.
  5. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

Don't forget the 5% student deal which puts the base pro at 600$. Still hell of a deal.. but I want them to tackle a true mid range phone. Go back to their roots.

Perfect phone for me
    AMOLED 1080p
    Latest SD 6xx
    6gb ram
    64gb storage+ sdcard
    Dual SIM
    Decent screen to body ratio
    Large battery
    Wireless charging
    Pixle camera performance

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 5:56 PM
    The Lurker and DWolvin like this.
  6. sderden

sderden Limp Gawd

Just an FYI, The student deal is only 5% off the phone, 10% is for accessories. Also if you use the Student deal you are not eligible for the Trade in program.

Vengance_01 likes this.
  7. Blown 89

Blown 89 2[H]4U

Judging by the smaller Youtube reviews it's having major auto focus issues. That's a shame because they got a lot right about this phone.

8. entropism

entropism 2[H]4U

That should be easily fixed with software. Not something to worry about.

sderden likes this.
  9. radeon962

radeon962 [H]ard|Gawd

10. sderden

sderden Limp Gawd

Got my OP7Pro yesterday the battery seems to do just fine. Woke up at 6am 100% battery and right now 5:51pm its at 72%. Thats a full round of golf playing BT occasional screen time to take pics and check email. Honestly, it's not that much bigger than my OP5 and I am really liking it. 90Hhz QHD+ all day...

Vengance_01 likes this.
  11. CHANG3D

CHANG3D [H]ardness Supreme

After Oppo (and Xiaomi) teased their under the display front facing cameras, I'm guessing OnePlus 7T Pro might not have this camera pop up.

12. Supersnake

Supersnake Gawd

Published May 31, 2019

13. Usual_suspect

Usual_suspect Limp Gawd

This guy annoyed the shit out of me. He likes hearing himself talk. In one video he implies people only buy smartphones for the camera.

While I won't say this phone is for everyone, he was comparing it to the Pixel 3A because of the camera practically ignoring everything else about the phone.

It also seems like you're trying to find anything negative said about this phone. I get it, it seems you're not a fan of the phone, and as I said this phone isn't for everyone. I on the other hand love it and feel no need to bash other phones in the process as each phone is going to have its share of people who love it and those who hate it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    sderden likes this.
  14. CHANG3D

I wonder which phone sold better at TMobile. OnePlus 7 Pro, the Google Pixel 3, or Pixel 3A. My suspicions are the OnePlus 7 Pro. I have a girl friend who works at a retail store, and she's basically saying all she sells right now are the 7 Pro and iPhones, despite the fact she's pushing to sell iPhone XR over the 7 Pro simply because selfies on the 7 Pro sucks on her skin tone. It looks great on me though... I think OnePlus tuned their camera for Asians, not ultra pale white girls with trio hair colors... Quite frankly I think it's her hair and makeup that are throwing everything off. But she does look fine on my iPhone XR.

15. Usual_suspect

Usual_suspect Limp Gawd

I transitioned from the TMobile ROM on the OnePlus 7 Pro to the international ROM and updated to the latest ROM which is 9.5.7. While I'm not a photographer by any means the pictures do look a hell of a lot better. Hell everyone who has upgraded to OxygenOS 9.5.7 are saying the same thing.

Also, no offense to your girl, I know shes trying to do her job but trying to push an inferior phone because it has better selfie quality? Hell the customer might as well buy a Pixel 3a or spend $50 more than the XR for the regular Pixel 3 if all that's important is camera quality.

Wanting the Pixel 3 was what made me go back to Android from iOS. Unfortunately TMobile couldn't work anything out for me in what was current situation but they did turn me onto this phone. I ended up trading my iPhone X which was on jump on demand for this and fell in love with it immediately. My girl also saw this phone and played with it and wanted one for herself. Unfortunately she misses her iPhone 8 Plus, but it's mainly due to her not being used to Android, but she also had the same issue when she went from her Galaxy S7 to the 8 Plus she said the same thing.

I know one thing for sure is when I go into the TMobile store they're always trying to push the most expensive or popular phones. Hell the OnePlus 7 Pro has a small display in the corner of the store while Samsung and Apple have their own sections right at the front.

Every rep I talk to in that store own Samsung and Apple and talk about how great their phones are. The second I mentioned unlocking the bootloader and switching to the international ROM to get updates straight from OnePlus they gave me this deer in the headlights look and said to me: You get the latest updates from T-Mobile when they're released by OnePlus. I had to show them the difference between mine and my girls 7 Pro's since hers still uses the TMobile ROM and she's on an older version of OxygenOS and there aren't any available updates while my phone is running 9.5.7 which is the current OxygenOS version for the 7 Pro.

They still didn't get it, and tried to tell me: well it hasn't been tested by TMobile yet so I'm sure there are probably issues which I showed them there weren't and every worked even better than the TMobile ROM. I think most of the TMobile store and phone reps share the mindset that the more expensive the phone is the better it is. T

The rep I spoke with on Twitter when I upgraded to this phone was bragging about how good it is, how good OnePlus is with their updates, and how I'd be lowering my bill, and getting better phone. He also commented on how owning Samsung to him was nothing more than being trendy as few people actually utilize the features the S10 touts, and all people seem to ever talk about are the screen and the camera.

Sorry didn't mean to stray too far from my original comment. Just wanted to say my piece about how hit or miss the TMobile CS can be.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 12:42 PM
  16. CHANG3D

My girl is a true nerd, I should mention. It is why we're still friends. Haha! She's like TMo for life! The first time I met her at the TMo store like back in 2016, her iPhone 7 was jailbroken and she recommends me to get a LG V20(???) over the Galaxy S7 because Samsung lag and that she can't root and install a custom ROM on it. She was throwing terms like XDA and asked me if I knew about rooting. So I asked her out on the spot, and it has nothing to do with that she looks like a sexy plus-sized model!!! I still winded with an iPhone 7, and I had jailbroken mine too mostly due to her. Now I don't know if she installed the international ROM on her OnePlus 7 Pro, but she said she tried everything to make herself look good, I wouldn't put it past her. Like I said, it looks fine on me.

Now that said, other TMo salespeople are just like you described.

As for her pushing folks to get the iPhone XR instead, I asked her about that, it's that the iPhone XR is in the same price range. If people are willing to spend $700 on a phone, they probably won't mind getting pushed to spend $50 more on an Apple. Just paraphrasing and summarizing her. She gets the people looking to get a Samsung flagship to the OnePlus because she finds that they are more likely to get not one but two OnePlus 7 Pros due to it being way cheaper than a similarly specced Galaxy.

I never asked about the Pixel though. I completely forgotten about its existence when I was talking to her. Which is why I'm wondering about it now! Haha!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 11:51 AM
  17. Alienslare

Alienslare [H]Lite

You should accidentally buy iphone 4s and samsung galaxy s2 :eek:

18. Alienslare

Alienslare [H]Lite

It would be great to test that 90hz HDR10+ fluid Amoled screen

Juicy :sneaky:

19. entropism

entropism 2[H]4U

Orrrrrr I could just keep what I have and enjoy.

20. Alienslare

Alienslare [H]Lite

Thats very possessive of you ;)