OLED Computer Monitors?

No way. Usually 9-inch and above panels are considered large. Small-and-medium refers to sizes below that.

There's absolutely nothing stopping a reasonably priced 23" 1080p part coming out by LGD. As always I have to restate the importance of efficiency in determining what roles the product can be selected to perform.

No way. Usually 9-inch and above panels are considered large. Small-and-medium refers to sizes below that.

I understand from this that there are two scales in use: one is from mobile world where 9" is large and another is from TV world where e.g. 55" is large. This is logical since you can not put the 9" OLED and 99" OLED which LG announced in the same basket 'large'. The question is then what LG had in mind when talking about small-medium, mobile or TV? My idea is that they had in mind 'small-medium' in the TV sense.

There's absolutely nothing stopping a reasonably priced 23" 1080p part coming out by LGD. As always I have to restate the importance of efficiency in determining what roles the product can be selected to perform.

Oh, but sure, OLED pc display are long ready. They are just still trying to come up with a way to make them actual only for a 2-3 years, just like current shitty LCD technology, so people would buy a new one in short time range, rather then paying a decent price for a good technology and enjoying ot for few years like would normal people do on civilized planet.

Until they find a way to make OLED as shitty as LCD there is no way they are gonna part with their mad dosh.

HP has also promised a 13" 4k OLED convertible ultraboook later in the year!

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mo...d-laptop-gets-an-oled-display-upgrade-1312011

It's been a long time, but we're finally making some progress :D

First they make this available in 13", then 15", then later 17" laptops, then eventually desktop monitors. Just like early color LCD screens (started out tiny, 6-8 inches, then five years later we had 15" and 17" monitors), the sizes will eventually get bigger and cheaper!

Last edited:
How va/amva compares to OLED ?

I did had some oled smartphones but most interesting was Note 3 screen in oculus rift dk2 because I could view it really up close.
Basically it had great contrast and black levels but pixel fill of oled samsung and smearing were very bad.
Doesnt good 3000+ contrast va/amva monitors come close in reality with actually less smear? (Excuse me if I am totally imaging things here. Only ordered amva monitor few days ago and just doing some reading while waiting for it)

I did had some oled smartphones but most interesting was Note 3 screen in oculus rift dk2 because I could view it really up close.
Basically it had great contrast and black levels but pixel fill of oled samsung and smearing were very bad.
Doesnt good 3000+ contrast va/amva monitors come close in reality with actually less smear? (Excuse me if I am totally imaging things here. Only ordered amva monitor few days ago and just doing some reading while waiting for it)
The Dell in the main thread for the U3017Q supposedly has a static contrast ratio of 400,000:1 with 100% Adobe RGB coverage.

Static more than fake dynamic on every other monitor ?!
How can one even see the difference beyond like 5000:1 ? After that point it all comes to perfecting uniformity and bleeding/glow

How can one even see the difference beyond like 5000:1 ? After that point it all comes to perfecting uniformity and bleeding/glow

I have no technical answer for you, but if you compare an OLED TV to a flagship LCD, the visual difference in contrast is night and day.

Alienware OLED 13" Gaming Laptop 2560x1440 AMOLED display:

http://www.oled-info.com/alienware-...-youll-find-it-hard-play-lcd-after-youve-seen

'A CNet reported tried out the new OLED laptop, and says that it provides gorgeous colors, and super fast refresh rate which is very important in fast paced games. CNet says that the OLED feels like looking through a window - it is so realistic. As he says - "after seeing that, I think it might be hard for me to buy a gaming laptop that doesn't have an OLED screen"'

Past a certain point there are diminishing returns, sure, but 5000:1 is not it. The Samsung F8500 plasma had a contrast ratio of around 55000:1 and OLED is still a noticeable improvement over that

I'll take 6 please.
I think it will be here eventually. 2018 CES confirmed. no one cares about g-sync and freesync anymore.

Supposedly OLED has infinite contrast, but Dell said the 400,000:1 figure was given because that's how high their measuring equipment can go. I remember reading somewhere that the human eye can detect dynamic contrast up to the equivalent of 10,000,000:1 at ISO 800 light sensitivity.

10,000,000 to 1? I'd like to see a reference for that. For all intents and purposes saying OLED has a 400,000 to 1 contrast ratio just means the measuring equipment is maxed out.

That has nothing to do with watching a computer display. Scotopic vision that takes into account humans 120 million rods isn't used while watching display content. Cones (Photopic vision) are much less sensitive to slight changes in light.

For all practical purposes, an OLED display easily covers 100% of a humans eye's ability to differential contrast while viewing display material.

OLED's by very nature have infinite contrast. An OLED pixel in the off state emits zero photons. You cannot detect zero. 400,000 to one is only mentioned as that is the limit of measuring equipment for displays.

I'll take 6 please.
I think it will be here eventually. 2018 CES confirmed. no one cares about g-sync and freesync anymore.

Huh? I won't even bother a monitor that isn't variable refresh anymore.

OLED variable refresh or don't even get out of bed.

Newer VA panels can get within touching distance of current OLED contrast ratios with appropriate calibration. OLED will improve in time of course but you won't be disappointed with a quality VA monitor when it comes to contrast for a while.

I have no technical answer for you, but if you compare an OLED TV to a flagship LCD, the visual difference in contrast is night and day.
For IPS or TN yes its a big difference but still not worth the price premium for most people.

I don't think this has been posted here yet.

30 inch, 2160p, and a step in the right direction for gaming OLEDs. $5k though.

Newer VA panels can get within touching distance of current OLED contrast ratios with appropriate calibration. OLED will improve in time of course but you won't be disappointed with a quality VA monitor when it comes to contrast for a while.

Far from the truth. The difference is insanely noticeable in dark content. On the desktop, not so much. Bright game/movie scenes, not so much. But any dark content, OLED destroys VA. Backlit LCD technology is crap and will never get to the point of touching pixel light emission.

Yeah I dunno how can you suggest VA panels approach OLED, in a dark room OLED blows away the best plasmas, which themselves are unapproachable by VA panels. LCD blacks are just greyish and will always be grey, nothing to be done about it.

However, they still hold a significant advantage in brightness which does matter for HDR and it also means that low persistence tech(ulmb) isn't well suited to OLED yet because you can't decrease the duty cycle that much and still have enough brightness outside of perfectly controlled darkness and super short viewing distances(oculus goggles).

Plus no backlight bleed with oled... people wont be sending 3-4 monitors back just to get one with minimal backlight bleed.

Far from the truth. The difference is insanely noticeable in dark content. On the desktop, not so much. Bright game/movie scenes, not so much. But any dark content, OLED destroys VA. Backlit LCD technology is crap and will never get to the point of touching pixel light emission.

Truth. You have to see it to believe it. Though, I'd go further and say it's the contrast ratio that helps OLED destroy everything else, not only with dark content. Even the first AMOLED screens make colors "pop", and makes LCD by comparison look like muddy trash.

I have a question.
Oled panels are perfect for representing black. But colors are rarely perfectly black.
And mostly grey/greyish. How does it fare at anything more than absolut black ?

Back