Ok BFG You've beyond lost a customer...CARD #5 DOA!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
trek554 said:
i thought you were talking about the gt. thats what you said earlier. of course i dont believe everything i read but when every site says basically the same thing it has to be some merit to it. there is nothing to back up your claims yet you are sticking to it. lets call it quits. we will agree that 6800ultra uses 100watts OR MORE. lol.

So does the GT in certain Scenarios. I'll agree to disagree

Lord_Exodia said:
So does the GT in certain Scenarios. I'll agree to disagree
make sure you email all those tech sites and psu calculator sites and let then know they are wrong. by the way nvidia even said the 6800ultra uses around 110 watts max under full load but they are probably wrong too.

this from tomshardware in a review of 6800 ultra and x800: "We can conclude that the quoted maximum power requirement of 110 Watts is correct. The X800 XT required roughly 17 Watts less than the GF 6800 Ultra in our tests. That would put its power draw at about 93 Watts." thats their words not mine. ONE MORE TIME FOR YOU. EVERYONE THAT HAS TESTED INCLUDING NVIDIA ITSELF CLAIMS 110 WATTS OR LESS UNDER MAX LOAD FOR THE 6800 ULTRA. i know, i know they are all wrong.

heres how i see it: NV launches 6 series cards. consumption is through the roof, and they are saying things like a 550w power supply is needed for ONE. they later revise this, but dont take off both power connectors from the Ultra. its a power hog, everyone knows that. it still doesnt consume 200w, and my 130w was a rough guess of 1.5 year old launch power counsumption results. admittantly, i had not looked into it recently.

NV releases PCIe cards. these are built directly around the AGP counterparts with teh exact same NV40 GPU. This is important. the NV40 was built around the AGP spec, only being able to supply ~40w. obviously, the 6800GT takes more than 40w. now then, current consumption tests have it somewhere around 65-75w. this i believe, if you read a few pages back in the thread i was the first person to shoot down his 200w claim, and his 40w claim for the FX. now then, the important thing here is NOT the power it requires, but how the PCB and GPU were made. these high end cards were built on AGP. they REQUIRED the molex to even boot... now you may say wtf? the cards only consume 25w at idle, why is this? its because the card was designed to take its power from the molex, not the slot! because of this, when they went PCIe, they left the molex on to keep from having to revise teh entire PCB of the card. this is different with the NU, if you look at even the AGP PCB of the card, it does not have hte same PWM circutry as the GT/Ultra cards, making it more apt to be made into a card that draws directly from the PCIe socket. in fact, it is very close to not needing hte molex at ALL, drawing a whopping 40w at full load... its a safeguard, as ill explain in my next paragraph.

the PCIe socket may be adequate to supply the power the GT needs. however, the molex is still on there because it is scraping the roof of what the PCIe slot can give, and with all the other crap drawing power from that one connector going into hte mobo, it certainly isnt going to be giving a full 75w to the card. the power connector is simply a safeguard.

same thing goes for teh AGP 6600GT. i really dont believe its consuming more than 43w on full load. the molex is a safeguard and something to help the card run completly stable in all circumstances.

now then, about the 6 series consuming the most power... not true. the 6800 Ultra held the crown until hte 7800GTX 512 came out, and that one does consume more power than the ultra. along the same lines, the 5950Ultra consumed MORE power than hte 6800GT, the things people thing about the 6800 series and power consumption are just NOT true in many cases.

hopefully this can put an end to it. notice im using THEORY on this one... even though X-Bit does great testing, and i fully believe their testing... some people here dont seem to think so.

now then.. back to BFG ;)

Lord_Exodia said:
What Lithium is saying is 100% right but 50% of the truth. You see there are 2 versions of the card. The first had a bios that drew all the power from the AGP slot and then from the molex. This card is notable because it has different 2d and 3d clocks on the 6 series. This card was very problematic. Many people, as you may/may not remember had problems with temporary freezing and hitching in my 3d intense games like doom 3 for example. Then there was a 2nd rework by nv. The bios on these cards had the same 2d and 3d values. I'm talking about Core & Memory, This card pulled more power from the molex and up to 20 w from the agp slot.
afaik, this is incorrect. the cards were hitching not because they were drawing power from two different sources but rather just cuase it was having to dynamically change their clock speed whenever load was applied, and this is why just changing the 2D clockspeeds in Coolbits remidied the problem. I would really like a link to back up your claim, as it is an interesting one.

now then, there was a whole seperate issue with the 6 series cards and teh NF3 chipset taht is sourced from Nvidia that causes hitching, but thats a whole different topic and i wont get into it right now.
Now I appologize to RtStrider as this thread got blown way into another direction. RT, I wish you the best of luck with EVGA and I hope the Death star finally gets a reliable Vid card and your months of torture can come to an end.
indeed, best of luck :) mine finally got sorted out, i got a working 6800GT, and the product manager had a PM convo with me andi s upgrading it to a 7800GT

Thank you guys for getting somewhere near back to topic, but in the future if any of you have issues, please use the report post button. There's no need for the senseless arguing and bickering.

Also, I'd invite any of you who wish to discuss power consumption and the like to either start your own thread, or take your discussion the PSU subforum, instead of dragging someone else's thread through the mud.

who's taking bets on the other card breaking as well ?

lol

the people bitching are always louder than the people complimenting, don't use stupid threads on messageboards to influence purchasing decisions in any way

Rtstrider said:
Any other BFG horror stories?

Here ya go - My BFG Tech RMA Nightmare

In the end I got a working version of the same type of card that I sent in, but unless my upgrade options include a second 6800gt in SLI the I don't know if I'm going to go BFG this next time around - WAY too many horror stories about RMAs that have gone to hell and back. :(

the people bitching are always louder than the people complimenting, don't use stupid threads on messageboards to influence purchasing decisions in any way

And I second this person on that....Just because I had a bad experience doesn't necessarily mean you will...

Rtstrider said:
And I second this person on that....Just because I had a bad experience doesn't necessarily mean you will...
It is called the vocal minority.
Anyway sorry for what I said earlier, but still that is very unbelieveable, kind of like having an meteor land in your living room. (I mean 7? BFG could give you a new one for the costs of shipping so many cards, that doesn't make business sense).

I am betting this card works..Only because no one has the nuts to say they had 8 BAD cards with out finally confessing to them selves there system or there actions have fried the last 7 :)

So weather it works or not i seriously doubt we will here much more from this fiasco :D

Sorry bout the broken link....Anyways BFG card...SOLD!!!! So now I'm officially through with them....Just got my evga in the mail yesterday!!! One thing I've noticed is that it runs quite a bit cooler than the BFG...Now of course the BFG is oc'd....The BFG used to reach 77 at load....This one doesn't even break 70 on load!!! I love it already guy's and gal's...I'm telling you it was BFGs q&a department lacking...And I'll def let you know that in a week when my evga card still works, lol....

EDIT: Wow I really didn't think this thread would get as much response as it did....Thanks guy's and gal's that helped me out along the way...and also thanks to the bfg evp for trying to do the right thing....That was very admirable of you....Other company's wouldn't have done that...I admire BFG for that...But I will never turn back, lol....Kinda like that Pillar of salt story in the bible...I'm not going to look back...I'm just happy I have my Evga card...and it WORKS!!!

Rtstrider said:
Sorry bout the broken link....Anyways BFG card...SOLD!!!! So now I'm officially through with them....Just got my evga in the mail yesterday!!! One thing I've noticed is that it runs quite a bit cooler than the BFG...Now of course the BFG is oc'd....The BFG used to reach 77 at load....This one doesn't even break 70 on load!!! I love it already guy's and gal's...I'm telling you it was BFGs q&a department lacking...And I'll def let you know that in a week when my evga card still works, lol....

EDIT: Wow I really didn't think this thread would get as much response as it did....Thanks guy's and gal's that helped me out along the way...and also thanks to the bfg evp for trying to do the right thing....That was very admirable of you....Other company's wouldn't have done that...I admire BFG for that...But I will never turn back, lol....Kinda like that Pillar of salt story in the bible...I'm not going to look back...I'm just happy I have my Evga card...and it WORKS!!!
Well it looks like BFG finally can breath a sigh of relief. After 7 cards you finally go away, and they look good for trying to do the right thing even if they didn't get the chance to "fix" it. You sold the card to someone, from whom we will surely never hear from, and the magical 8th card that never touched your system works fine at least for a couple of weeks before you sell it. It leaves the odds strongly in favor of your system being the cause, and you walk away with a promise to never go back to BFG. I'm sure they won't miss you one bit after all the trouble you gave them.

I know this has been said before, but I need to ask. How in the hell could so many video cards be defective? Is it even possible? I am sorry, but I have never had a video card or any piece of electronic hardware be this faulty. After going through this thread I have to say that there is certainly something with your particular setup that is breaking the cards. It is NOT BFG's fault. Also I hate to be a nit pick, but why do you use "..." after every sentence. I can read you posts, but it truly does annoy the ever living crap out of me to see...after...every...thing...you...type... You know what I mean...?

No freakin way your getting 5 bad cards its something with your psu, motherboard etc I have had many bfg cards and never a problem.

Also I hate to be a nit pick, but why do you use "..." after every sentence. I can read you posts, but it truly does annoy the ever living crap out of me to see...after...every...thing...you...type...

Because I know it bothers you.... :p

Shane said:
No freakin way your getting 5 bad cards its something with your psu, motherboard etc I have had many bfg cards and never a problem.
sorry, but youre wrong.

after 4 bad cards, i have a working 7800GT.

this is very possible.

7 DOA video cards... that is some story. What I don't understand is why you never demanded a refund? or have them send you a NEW card?

Despite the testimony by Lithium, I still don't believe 7 DOA video cards are possible. What bothers me more is that you actually went along with it and never requested a refund or a new card.

I really hope the EVGA card will be fine in your system. Otherwise I'd hate to see EVGA send you 7 DOA cards as well before you switch to XFX.

sorry, but youre wrong. after 4 bad cards, i have a working 7800GT. this is very possible.

Yes very possible! And you want to know what the original problem was with the first BFG I had? It would go to a blank screen in FEAR and other demanding games, and lock up my computer. Then after awhile it just started artifacting! And that was on day one that the lockups started! Now here it is day three and still have had no prob's with this evga...So for those people who keep flaming Lithium or I...*walks off, I read/post in this forum way too much to risk getting banned*....

EDIT:

or have them send you a NEW card?

If you would read back a page or two, I did request a new card. They never called me back. So when I ordered my evga I needed something that worked for the time being that I could sell in order to make the evga not hurt my pockets.....Long story short, I called them back and told them I don't care about the new card anymore, I need something that worked immediatley! So they did the overnight prepaid shipping deal with me. I sold that card, and only paid $4 for an Evga card after selling the BFG. And BTW what does BFG stand for?

lithium726 said:
sorry, but youre wrong.

after 4 bad cards, i have a working 7800GT.

this is very possible.
Well congratulations. You and RStrider are the only people I've seen with this problem, which wouldn't make it very possible at all, considering you two are an unbelievably small minority of faulty compute--- graphics cards.

BFG stands for Best Fucking Graphics.

The story is entirely plausible. The computer hardware industry has serious issues with quality control. Far too many bad parts reach retail.

BFG sent me a bad 6800 for an RMA. I had to downclock the core to keep the card stable. Upon taking off the heatsink and fan I saw that there was almost no thermal compound on the core, so I replaced it and voided my warranty. Next time I'm either going ATi or another NVidia card provider.

The story is entirely plausible. The computer hardware industry has serious issues with quality control. Far too many bad parts reach retail. BFG sent me a bad 6800 for an RMA. I had to downclock the core to keep the card stable. Upon taking off the heatsink and fan I saw that there was almost no thermal compound on the core, so I replaced it and voided my warranty. Next time I'm either going ATi or another NVidia card provider.

Now I didn't take off the heatsink on my cards. I didn't want to void the warranty, but....If this makes you flamers get your panties out of a bunch, I did recieve one card burnt up vie bfg rma or q&a. The burnt electronics smell was beyond noticeable as soon as I opened up the plastic card holder thingamajig they ship their cards in. So yes I plugged it in and to no surprise, it was burnt up....Wouldn't even post, and that was card #3....

EDIT: And Smith now that makes Three of US!!!

Smith said:
Well congratulations. You and RStrider are the only people I've seen with this problem, which wouldn't make it very possible at all, considering you two are an unbelievably small minority of faulty compute--- graphics cards.

faulty computers? dont make me laugh. how about you get off your fucking high horse and come live in the real world, where companies arent loyal to you and you have no obligation to stand up for them when they fuck up. ive had extensive talks with managers and supervisors over at BFG, and all dont know what the fuck is up with their shipping/RMA dept, cuase all the problems were obvoiusly caused by the cards. if my system were at fault, then the same problem would have been reproduced across every card i had. this was not the case. the cards i had each had significant and unique problems, each one different and each one unacceptable. in the end, they finally shipped me a working 6800GT, and upon reveiwing my case the product manager who lurks on these boards reviewed my case, told me to send the card back, that he was upgrading me to a 7800GT.

what does the meaning of an acronym have anything at all to do with the present discussion? thats a pretty asinine argument to be using in a discussion about BFG's quality control, but in any case, it stands for Built for Gamers or Big Fuckin' Gun from Doom.

unlike RTstrider, i would still buy BFG cards. they didnt give me any shit when i made it quite apparant that i know my shit, and were always nice about what was going on.

the 6800GT's are being sent back, the 7800GT is working in perfect harmony with my eVGA card in an SLI setup, and i couldnt be happier. i doubt ill need another computer for a couple years at least.

Rtstrider said:
Now I didn't take off the heatsink on my cards. I didn't want to void the warranty, but....If this makes you flamers get your panties out of a bunch, I did recieve one card burnt up vie bfg rma or q&a. The burnt electronics smell was beyond noticeable as soon as I opened up the plastic card holder thingamajig they ship their cards in. So yes I plugged it in and to no surprise, it was burnt up....Wouldn't even post, and that was card #3....
I'm talking about getting more than 3 faulty cards in a row, I should've made it more apparent, sorry.
what does the meaning of an acronym have anything at all to do with the present discussion? thats a pretty asinine argument to be using in a discussion about BFG's quality control, but in any case, it stands for Built for Gamers or Big Fuckin' Gun from Doom.
He asked what BFG stands for, so I told him.
faulty computers? dont make me laugh. how about you get off your fucking high horse and come live in the real world, where companies arent loyal to you and you have no obligation to stand up for them when they fuck up
Who says there has to be an obligation? So what if I'm not required to stand up for them when either they or the user is at fault? I can post what I want to post just as much as you, so hush.

I also have a feeling that even if his new eVGA card was damaged, he wouldn't tell anyone because of his posts about how supremely faultless his sytem is. It's easy to lie on the internet.

Smith said:

I thought it stood for Biggest Fan!boy Graphics

Oh, and if you really think it means Best Fucking Graphics in real life, I think you're wrong. Isn't a BFG traditionally Big Fucking Gun a la Doom?

computerpro3 said:

Oh, and if you really think it means Best Fucking Graphics in real life, I think you're wrong. Isn't a BFG traditionally Big Fucking Gun a la Doom?
Aye it is. And I personally prefer eVGA because of their coolers.

He asked what BFG stands for, so I told him.
thats funny, youre even wrong about that.
Who says there has to be an obligation? So what if I'm not required to stand up for them when either they or the user is at fault? I can post what I want to post just as much as you, so hush.
why would you stand up for a company and say that the user is obvoiusly wrong when you have no idea exactly has gone on between us and the company?

I also have a feeling that even if his new eVGA card was damaged, he wouldn't tell anyone because of his posts about how supremely faultless his sytem is. It's easy to lie on the internet.
right, so he would lie just to make BFG look bad? thats almost as stupid as you sticking up for them for no reason.
no joke. this is rediculous :rolleyes:

you guys dont seem to realize that hes not buying cards at a store and having 6 in a row show up DOA.. theyre not new cards. this is an RMA dept shipping out used cards which evedently are getting past quality control on more than a few occations.

lithium726 said:
thats funny, youre even wrong about that.
I guess you can't take sarcasm. You and I both know that it's not the true meaning of BFG. Take things less seriously, Jeez.
right, so he would lie just to make BFG look bad? thats almost as stupid as you sticking up for them for no reason.
Well judging by his posts, I wouldn't take that to be far from the truth. "OMG BFG SUCKS!"

Smith said:

And now you've seen 3. Problems like this is VERY uncommon but it's not unheard of. There is a disconnect going on between BFG's call center and their warehouse/RMA department, when a BFG guy actually jumped into my thread (before he got banned :( )he mentioned that the warehouse that they ship their cards out of is "several cities away". I'm just hoping that the problems that several of us had going through BFG RMA's reciently is caused by a disconnect between deparments.

Smith said:
I guess you can't take sarcasm. You and I both know that it's not the true meaning of BFG. Take things less seriously, Jeez.
sorry, but that did not sound like sarcasm at all - it sounded like you were giving a genuine answer to his question, and now youre blowing it off like you know it wasnt correct the whole time. like you said, "its really easy to lie on the internet"

lithium726 said:
sorry, but that did not sound like sarcasm at all - it sounded like you were giving a genuine answer to his question, and now youre blowing it off like you know it wasnt correct the whole time. like you said, "its really easy to lie on the internet"
Do you truely believe a company would name itself Best Fucking Graphics? If so, then... well, I guess that's what you think. But you should know it wouldn't, as do I and many, many others. How about I do this to make it more apparent:

BFG stands for Best Fucking Graphics :p ;).

After reading several pages of this debacle(only the first few and the last), I just thought I would throw my $2 bill in.. I have had a BFG GeForce 6800GT OC for over a year, in an Asus A7N8X-E board with a 430 watt Enermax power supply. I also play games ranging from Dark Age of Camelot, Half-Life 2 to Doom 3 a few hours a day. Also, I leave the computer on 24/7. I have had zero problems whatsoever so far.

If it is BFG's fault, and its the customer service dept. screwing things up, they should start breaking heads and firing the incompetent idiots.

But, I bet every company out there that has ever made a piece of hardware has had thier fair share of Hardware Hell and customer service horror stories. Mine was with Gateway (piece of crap computers!) several years back, so I can still identify with the ire. :D

check motherboard for bulging caps and you should update your soundcard drivers

did you fully unistall old video card drivers before installing WinXP?

...hi ..I'm a competant computer tech and I like to jump into threads without reading everthing (sometimes not even original post) and just offer advice that I pull out my anus..

happy hannukuh

[H]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back