Ok BFG You've beyond lost a customer...CARD #5 DOA!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryland said:
My Asus A8V Deluxe worked beatifully for the past year with a BFG 6800GT. I just swapped it out (still working) for the eVGA combo.

I have had numerous Asus motherboards with Via chipsets and none ever gave me problems.
Lucky.........I havent had a good Asus board yet. Well, I will say a good A8V. and the DOA K8N just made me give up all together.

machwireless said:
i dont know. but my emachines mobo hasnt let me down in 4 years and all my cards have worked in it. dont care what yall say about emachines. they are the best cheap computer you can buy.
way to change the topic there bud!

my point is, you having problems with AGP and a particular ASUS board with a VIA chipset does not invalidate all ASUS/AGP offerings. their NF2, NF3, i875/865/whatever else intel released and most of their VIA offerings work fine. i have a few asus boards with VIA sets (although ill never buy another one... USB issues and shit like that) and they all work fine with whatever graphics card i decide to put in them. There are also lots of people on this board running a 6 series card with the A8V, or there were when that board was popular.

I know that, lithium, which is why i said the following.

machwireless said:
Lucky.........I havent had a good Asus board yet. Well, I will say a good A8V. and the DOA K8N just made me give up all together.

"We recieved used product, so we send used product. "

What kind of dumb fuck logic is that? You received a "used" product only in the sense that the person who bought it NEW used it and it FAILED on him! How is that justification for sending a used product in return?

lithium726 said:
way to change the topic there bud!

my point is, you having problems with AGP and a particular ASUS board with a VIA chipset does not invalidate all ASUS/AGP offerings. their NF2, NF3, i875/865/whatever else intel released and most of their VIA offerings work fine. i have a few asus boards with VIA sets (although ill never buy another one... USB issues and shit like that) and they all work fine with whatever graphics card i decide to put in them. There are also lots of people on this board running a 6 series card with the A8V, or there were when that board was popular.

True I always thought it was funny when people talk about problems when their fact, when in fact few people ever noticed the problems. But VIAs history with AGP, USB, IDE and PCI problems go back along ways, which is why I find it wierd that people keep jumping back on their bandwagon, and I thank Nvidia for finally haiving the muscle to put them down to the levels of SIS and ALi(Uli), although besides their slow performance I would rather use those two then VIA any day of the week.

machwireless said:
wow. that sucks. a manufacturer said that?

While that Quote if true is a primal and basic look at the facts its true on all but the most unrepairable products, send refurbs back. It doesn't make sense for them to take a bad card and throw it away if can be repaired. Think about it as a manufacturer, a customer kills a 400 dollar card would you rather eat the 400 and send another or eat 125 (the cost of the repair) get that customers card and repair that for hopefully arounf the same cost.

EVGA on the other hand has a sweet situation, they take back a card that they sold to retailer for below wholesale for wholesale cost and sell a new card at retail cost as wholesaler (actually lower then that since they "make" the cards. ) This gives them cards at cheap costs who need very little prepairing to be used as RMA fodder.

I work as the sole RMA engineer for the company I work for so I can really see the beauty behind EVGAs situation and understands BFGs.

Ok now the card died on my friends computer...The one that was supposedly tested by BFG EVP.....I'm calling them and handing their asses to them, Card #7 will be NIB, and yes I called asus and talked to them and they said it's not a motherboard issue, which is what I thought....And my friend has the same motherboard as I do....I'm handing their asses to them...This is way beyond unacceptable....in the words of donald trump.....BFG...."YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!"

Strange, my friends nor I have any issues with BFG. Sounds like you just suck. Are you sure you're not putting the cards into the motherboard with a hammer? And make sure you're not man handling the cards, either.

Sounds like you just suck.

I'm not here to start a fight with any of the members, nor will I give you your jollies by replying to that.....Anyways this is how I install the cards.....I plug the computer into a powerstrip, then I plug the powerstrip into the wall....Then I switch the powerstrip off, that way there's not any power going to the computer, but it's still grounded....Then I put on an antistatic wriststrap...I unscrew the monitor cable from the back of the card....Then I unplug the power cable from it....Then I unscrew the screw holding the card in the case.....Then I pull the card out of the system....Now I take the new card, plug it in the system, screw it in....Then I plug the power into the back of it....Then I screw the monitor cable into it...Then I unclip my wriststrap from the case....Then I turn the powerstrip on....Then I push the power button on the computer.....Now who sucks....Last time I checked it was Kirby's (I know that was lame...)....

Smith said:
Strange, my friends nor I have any issues with BFG. Sounds like you just suck. Are you sure you're not putting the cards into the motherboard with a hammer? And make sure you're not man handling the cards, either.

QFMFT seriously, what's up with all these damned bfg threads?

Rtstrider said:
I'm not here to start a fight with any of the members, nor will I give you your jollies by replying to that.....Anyways this is how I install the cards.....I plug the computer into a powerstrip, then I plug the powerstrip into the wall....Then I switch the powerstrip off, that way there's not any power going to the computer, but it's still grounded....Then I put on an antistatic wriststrap...I unscrew the monitor cable from the back of the card....Then I unplug the power cable from it....Then I unscrew the screw holding the card in the case.....Then I pull the card out of the system....Now I take the new card, plug it in the system, screw it in....Then I plug the power into the back of it....Then I screw the monitor cable into it...Then I unclip my wriststrap from the case....Then I turn the powerstrip on....Then I push the power button on the computer.....Now who sucks....Last time I checked it was Kirby's (I know that was lame...)....
Sounds like you could use one of these:

easybutton_lg_top.gif

Oh, and btw, you did infact reply to it, as you felt the need to defend yourself with your long post as to how you installed the card =P. I'm just being a dick because who ever gets 7 cards broken in a row? Really? It's just... not possible. Make sure your address is not in the send part of your letter, so you're not getting the same card over and over ;).

I thought BFG was one of the "good" companies, so I bought a BFG card. Have never needed tech support or anything though so I cannot comment.

Now they effin hung up on me......This is beyond ridiculous....I could train a circus full of naked monkey to speak every word in the dictionary before I can get a good card from bfg.....That's just pathetic....

EDIT:
I thought BFG was one of the "good" companies, so I bought a BFG card.

So did I, that's why I bought one of their cards...But look what mess I've been through....

Sorry, but any company that sends you 7 cards deserves a medal for putting up with your incompetence.

I don't wanna jump to conclusions, but I can't see how you are this horrible service out of nowhere, and all your cards are frying...it doesn't seem logical. Unless you just have really really really really really really really bad luck.....

Any more thoughts? I mean come on....This is beyond utter bullshit...If you want to keep a customer...Don't send them 6 bad cards...Anyways...They're giving me a call tommorrow....I requested a new card....So we'll see what happens....

EDIT:

Sorry, but any company that sends you 7 cards deserves a medal for putting up with your incompetence.

My incompetence? No...Like the person said after you...I have really bad luck with BFG....

Do you have a chance to plug the new card into a different machine besides yours and your friends before you try it in yours? Just incase it is actually your machine killing the cards. You say you guys have practically identical machines, try it in another pc if you can.
Man, 7 cards, I just can't imagine it being BFG's fault, but yeh, bad luck.

i had 4 bad cards from BFG... they got it right on the 5th.

See Lithium can preach for me....I'm not the only one in here...So unless you have something constructive to say other than "You suck" then don't post here....

vmerc said:
.001^5 = 0.000000000000001

That's 1 QUADRILLIONTH or as a percent 1 TEN TRILLIONTH of a percent chance.

Even if the failure rate of the refurbs is higher. Say 1 in 10.... that's .1^5

.1^5 = 0.00001

That's 1 THOUSANDTH of a percent chance of this happening. Possible.....?

Without real failure rates, these are only estimations, and bad ones at that. I really doubt that the refurb failure rate would be as high as 10% or even 1%. What would they even do to refurb a card? Nothing on the board is workable by hand except maybe the VGA connectors. Also consider that refurbs would be tested before they go back out, and they would have to pass every test that a new card does.

Every component on a video card is workable by hand except the main processor and memory that use Ball Grid Arrays. Those require a special machine.

Looking at a brand new 7800GT atm, I could remove and resolder every component on the board, without damage except for the GPU and memory. (It would take a coulpe weeks...but it can be done.) Surface mount components arent impossible they are just time consuming..

Every component on a video card is workable by hand except the main processor and memory that use Ball Grid Arrays.

True...But why would I do that and void my BFG warranty? (Rhetorical question(I'm just being a smart ass))

RTStrider I asked several pages back but you never really adressed a very important question. Did you ask BFG for their QA findings after testing the cards you returned. Did they pass or fail? If you haven't asked it you seriously should consider asking them to check into all the ones you returned and give you results on all. No matter how time consuming they think it will be. Hopefully this company is responsible enough to test the stuff coming in as well as the stuff going out. :confused:

Lord_Exodia said:
RTStrider I asked several pages back but you never really adressed a very important question. Did you ask BFG for their QA findings after testing the cards you returned. Did they pass or fail? If you haven't asked it you seriously should consider asking them to check into all the ones you returned and give you results on all. No matter how time consuming they think it will be. Hopefully this company is responsible enough to test the stuff coming in as well as the stuff going out. :confused:

Yep, that right there is the very crux of the issue, I would be inclined to believe Rtstrider's situation, in the fact that he is receiving refurbished video products. He is not receiving brand new cards so by the very nature that refurbished products, in themselves, are faulty having been RMA'ed and supposedly repaired and tested then sent back out doesn't look like it's his fault at all. Now, I say supposedly because I don't exactly know how this particular company handles that aspect of their business.

Do they just pop a repaired card in to post then call it day, or do they do some testing after booting into the OS for awhile type of thing. I don't know too much about how you exactly repair video cards but the reason it is sent in on an RMA is that of course there is something wrong with it, it might be possible that some of these are fixed and it appears to work correctly then when it used by someone the original problem with the card crops back up those sort of things.

One other curious thing I always wondered about was how BFG is of course known for OC'ing their cards just like other companys do, and there is always that possibility that specific cards of whatever flavor floats your boat will not handle as well as some others, I'm talking about individual single cards out of a batch type thing here, but the symptoms do not show up until well after a consumer has their hands on them.

Spazilton said:
Every component on a video card is workable by hand except the main processor and memory that use Ball Grid Arrays. Those require a special machine.

Looking at a brand new 7800GT atm, I could remove and resolder every component on the board, without damage except for the GPU and memory. (It would take a coulpe weeks...but it can be done.) Surface mount components arent impossible they are just time consuming..

I was just stating that it is possible for a card to be completly reworked by hand. Not saying by you, just in general. I am willing to bet these cards are all soldered by hand, except for the BGA components. Wasnt meant as a flame or anything just a general FYI.

Rtstrider said:

Any one who claims they install a video card this way is just unbelavable..Is that the absolute perfect way to install a card ? Yea it is and I have been working on computers for so long that I can almost gurantee 99.9% of people do not go to that length to replace a video card..be it card 1 or card 7 . .

Hold the case to ground your self and pull card with other hand..Thats how cards are changed ...

If I was BFG I would tell you to sue me if you told me you install a video card that way ...

Did you ask BFG for their QA findings after testing the cards you returned. Did they pass or fail?

They weren't any good, because if you'd read in one of my first posts, I tried other video cards in my system...And they all worked fine for days on in....

Any one who claims they install a video card this way is just unbelavable

Sure.....Excuse me for installing a video card the "right" way....And it's not that hard to do either...I mean come on...My grounding strap is in my computer desk drawer, and my computers already plugged into an APC powerstrip....So how hard is it to do this again? And why would you pull the card out with the power on? Well rather yet with the light on the motherboard on? The AGP slot is recieving power, so there's a possibility you could damage the card doing that....And after 1 dead card why would I not install it the "right" way? Now there's no questioning about my install procedures....So that's out of the question...There's not any question with my motherboard....I've called up asus and have a case number pertaining to this.....They said it's not the board, that it's BFG....And you know what they recommended? Go with another video card company! So yeah...When I called BFG last night they wanted to just RMA the card...What I told them was...NO! I want a new card...1 or 2 dead cards is acceptable...But 7?!?!?!?!? NO!....I will not even accept the Refurb card, and will take it right back to ups and ship it back to them....I want a new one that we know works and will not die on me in less than a week....So they said they'd have to review the case.....And if they don't call me by 6 tonight, then I'm calling them....But BFG THIS IS UNNACCEPTABLE!!! IF YOU'RE GOING TO SHIP OUT CARDS, THEN YOU SHOULD AT LEAST RUN AQUAMARK/3DMARK IN CONTINUOUS LOOPS FOR 3 DAYS!!!!

All these flamers must own stock in BFG or something. Amazing.

I am sorry, but I am not buying into FIVE dead cards in a row. It's almost impossible. Not saying anyone is lying, but FIVE DOA components of the same kind and brand, that usually stinks of bad tech work.

well all i can say is i fell so sorry for u! i had to wait around 4 weeks for my x850xt pe (when it came out) and i know how annoying it is living without a card...well gd luck on ur next ones

diehrd said:
Any one who claims they install a video card this way is just unbelavable..Is that the absolute perfect way to install a card ? Yea it is and I have been working on computers for so long that I can almost gurantee 99.9% of people do not go to that length to replace a video card..be it card 1 or card 7 . .

Hold the case to ground your self and pull card with other hand..Thats how cards are changed ...

If I was BFG I would tell you to sue me if you told me you install a video card that way ...

That is probably the worst thing i've read here, and i've been here a while.

some people DO actually follow a fairly good routine for installing uninstalling hardware.
some people DO use their wrist straps, and go through the routine.

And if you were BFG you'd be broke by now by virtue of people not buying your cards do to your terrible customer relations.

As to the OP.

I dont know whats going wrong with your system or these cards.
It IS odd that their allways failing like this, but then all it takes is a wobbly card, ie refurbished, and slightly wobbly system, even if it works perfectly well with more tolerant cards or parts, to make things into a nightmare.

All i can say to you is you have my sympathy, and my hope that it ends up working out for you.

Aside from that i would perhaps suggest doing manual tests on your PSU with a cvoltmeter instead of relying on the reported volts.

There must be something wrong with your system. Or maybe your local FEDEX hub has a really powerful electromagnetic field below it which is just powerful enough to fry Geforce 6800 GTs? (Think Goldeneye)

Actually thats a good point.
It does make me wonder if their isnt something in transit killing the cards, I do know they Xray alot of packages.. it might be something at that hub is mucking up the scanners or something?

Rtstrider said:
They weren't any good, because if you'd read in one of my first posts, I tried other video cards in my system...And they all worked fine for days on in....

Dude Fuck That!! You seem to keep holding on to this. Note that your using a FX 5200 or some crap card like that. There is a night/day difference in these 2 cards. For starters the 6800GT OC cards take litterally upwards of 5x the power of the fx under full load. For reference that's above 200watts!!!! ASK the Frickin question... Seriously. You are only hurting the sittuation by ignoring this. I'm not trying to come down on you just trying to say that there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. You might be scared to hear what they will tell you but be a realist. 5 bad cards in a row may not be your fault but something else however 5 bad cards that you send them that all test good and pass qa testing is a different story. I do tech support and rmas for a company based on nvidia cards. You call would eventually get escallated to me. All I will tell you is after the 2nd bad card I would have told you. Card 1 & 2 passed qa testing. Here is a new one in shrink wrap. If it fails swallow it or do what you want but don't call here with this BS, if my manager wouldn't get pissed ;) . If they both failed you would have received a appology, a new card, & something else for compensation.

dude, the 6800GT does not consume 200 watts - thats the biggest crock of shit ive ever heard

i think the ULTRA was consuming like, 130w max. the GT was somewhere around or lower than 100w under normal conditions.

the FX5200 does not consume 40w either. if that were true, the 5700 series would have needed a power connector, the AGP slot can give 43w or so iirc

lithium726 said:
dude, the 6800GT does not consume 200 watts - thats the biggest crock of shit ive ever heard

i think the ULTRA was consuming like, 130w max. the GT was somewhere around or lower than 100w under normal conditions.

the FX5200 does not consume 40w either. if that were true, the 5700 series would have needed a power connector, the AGP slot can give 43w or so iirc

I've read different reviews that show values less to what your saying and even more than what your saying Lithium. However since these cards are ancient. No harm in saying that the engineering papers showed up to 200 watts for reference cards. A line chart showing testing had it spiking over 200 watts in some instances. That is why the initial minimum power recomendations were a 480watt psu for a ultra. @ 400/1100 The GT OC is damn near the same consumption of the Ultra reference. Anyway this is besides the point there were more significant things that were said in my previous post. I hope RTstrider focuses on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back