Ok BFG You've beyond lost a customer...CARD #5 DOA!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
could be RMA but 5 times? in the cellular world, we upgrade after the third one. too bad im not a BFG dealer or i would help you out but i only sell ATI.

Rtstrider said:
At least someone here can sympathize with me...Now you guys are asking about the symptoms....This one just starting artifacting on the hardforum site. Like I was getting red dots on the black background....I'm even installing these things with a grounding strap...Now when I rma this next card....I'll take the new one and drop it by my old shop and let my old boss have it for a week or two, just to eliminate the whole "my system is killing it" possibilty....
Or confirm it...

Zinn said:
QFT
I would think by card number 3 the OP might be able to notice a pattern. I'm sure BFG will be glad to have him off their backs when he sells his RMA card and fries an EVGA.

Priceless...
:p

I can attest to the 5 time method from BFG.
I had a pair of 5900U256 agp cards. Went through RMA with them 5 times before selling them off. The buyer bought both of them, brand new from rma and had to rma within two weeks of getting them from me, and then still had them both fail one last time.
Realistically, that's 7 times total for each card I had originally purchased.
That all being said, I still would purchase a BFG card in the future.

ciscokid454 said:
I had a pair of 5900U256 agp cards. Went through RMA with them 5 times before selling them off. The buyer bought both of them, brand new from rma and had to rma within two weeks of getting them from me, and then still had them both fail one last time.

Why?

lol, i would too.

at least theyre taking care of it, overnighting me new cards, and have a friendly tech support dept... i had a nice long chat with the supervisor. less than i can say about many other companies. they also dont treat me like an idiot, i know what im talking about and i try to make that obvoius, but some techs upport depts just dont care.

BTW: i think i have one of your 5900U's :p interesting story behind that one..

You should of taken one of the cards out that died and tried it in another machine...personally I have never had a problem with bfg cards.

ciscokid454 said:
The only card I've had to RMA to BFG was a one RMA trip, the new card worked fine (actually alittle better, it OCed a bit higher then the orginal one).

Sounds like somebody with a bad case of the pc touch of death.

You really need to stop using the term DOA. You just said it was running in your pc for a couple hours. That isn't Dead On Arrival, that is Dead After You Killed It.

I worked with a guy who fried 3 modems in a row, plugging them into 220 power. At least by the third time, he realized it was something other than a bad series of modems, LOL. I make fun of that guy and it was only 3, but you've trumped him with 5.

wow... have you taken a "known to be good" card from a friend or something and tested it in your machine? I think you might have a bad agp slot.

wait - I thought this was the thread with the dead agp video cards... christ... I need another cup of coffee... sorry! lol

ok - please strike that agp stuff and put pci-e in it's place... carry on. :D

EDIT: I thought this was this thread. was readin that one last night..

MattWeb said:
This is the way I look at this whole mess.

1st card =BFG
2nd card=BFG
3rd card= I would start really looking at my system
4th card= It would have to be my system
5th card= It would be my system.

I dont care how many people have gotten bad cards through RMA's but 5 times?

Not very likely IMO.
if they are refurbs, i could believe it...

Rtstrider said:
At least someone here can sympathize with me...Now you guys are asking about the symptoms....This one just starting artifacting on the hardforum site. Like I was getting red dots on the black background....I'm even installing these things with a grounding strap...Now when I rma this next card....I'll take the new one and drop it by my old shop and let my old boss have it for a week or two, just to eliminate the whole "my system is killing it" possibilty....
What do you mean by the bolded part? My video card is OLD but I can't see any place to attach a grounding strap and have never heard of using one on a video card. Have you done this with all the cards? Did you tell BFG about this? You say it's artifacting while web browsing. How's it do in games or another graphics intensive program? I hope you resolve the problem to your satisfaction soon. Good luck.

i think hes talking about an anti-static strap/bracelet.

btw, heres my round of cards if anyone is interested..

card 1: major memory artifacts, core temp reported as 256C, rare BIOS artifacting

card 2: card shuts down while playing FEAR. the fan turns off, the screen goes blank, the system hardlocks. on such crash corruped my HDD and erased the partition tables. it also has post issues, machine needs to be rebooted about 7 times after being off for a few hours to get it to post. has DVI issues, one flickers

card 3: has the post issue, otherwise fine, until it died. hwen i got it, put it in the computer, worked fine (except for the POST issue). turned it off that night to go do homework on my laptop. turned it back on, power light flashes on, flashes off, fan is not spinning. i get it boot up after a few resets, runs like nothing happend. next time i turn off the machine, it will NOT come back up.

card 4: no post issue, very infrequent DVI issue (i actually think this might be becuase of the motherboard, i recall it having an issue with the DVI on the GTX cards when htey came out) but it artifacts. these are core artifacts this time.

PCX5300, x600, x300 all work great. 6800GT SLI worked great (with cards that actually worked), and today we'll see how my 7800GT is gonna work.

edit: also, the ones with the post issue did this.. once i got them to finally post and boot up, they would run in PCIe x1 mode until i restarted the machine again.

dealing with their shipping department has its own intersting story behind it, if anyone is interested just say the word...

wow.... well riddle me this bat-dude... are you normally this unlucky, or is this just a streak? I feel bad for you... that's got to be frustrating as hell.. but you should get on the horn, and keep escalating this issue to someone higher in the BFG company.. ask for a supervisor! and tell them what the deal is, you are the customer here, so do not let them tell you what it's going to be like, you tell them! ...and have them send you a NEW card... not these refurb POS cards.. BFG has good customer service, so if you demand a new card, I bet they'll send you one. Be firm and and don't take no for an answer. anyways, my $0.02.

wait - it was agp? holy lord.. I am so confused. lol. looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetimines. ;)

revenant said:
wow.... well riddle me this bat-dude... are you normally this unlucky, or is this just a streak? I feel bad for you... that's got to be frustrating as hell.. but you should get on the horn, and keep escalating this issue to someone higher in the BFG company.. ask for a supervisor! and tell them what the deal is, you are the customer here, so do not let them tell you what it's going to be like, you tell them! ...and have them send you a NEW card... not these refurb POS cards.. BFG has good customer service, so if you demand a new card, I bet they'll send you one. Be firm and and don't take no for an answer. anyways, my $0.02.
If you read the entire thread you would notice that an Executive Vice President of BFG is already handling the issue. At least that's if that's what EVP stands for. :D

ok - it would appear I am doing this thread no good... leaving. lol

wow... have you taken a "known to be good" card from a friend or something and tested it in your machine? I think you might have a bad agp slot.

That sounds like a real good way to lose a friend. LOL

Merc said:

That sounds like a real good way to lose a friend. LOL

ok - one last post... it does not have to be a primary card... can be any old POS agp card... backup.. obviously it's risky, but I think both parties would agree to that beforehand... it's sort of implied... and friendships don't end over this kind of stuff... unless they're weak..

omg... I am starting to hate this thread... yet I am uncontrollably drawn to it... after reading it, like for reals, it's looking like a bad card series, yes, but it still could be a bad AGP slot... if it's under-volted it might not have the uhmph to run the 6800 card to spec... either that or the psu... which are supposedly both good... but comparing a 5200 and a 6800 is not apples to apples... low voltage could cause this...

EDIT: btw - this thinking invalidates my old argument about using any POS agp card to test with... yes, I like to invalidate myself... it's fun. ;)

Wolfmyst said:
I can only think...

[snip]

It could be his system too. Maybe the the 5200 isn't placing the same demands as the newer card. But I still think its BFG.

qft!

what is needed here is a known to be good machine with an agp slot to test the "bad" cards in...

im freegin lost but im thinking its a bad AGP slot. i had that problem once where my BFG 5500 worked fine but my 9800 pro didnt. it was low voltage on the AGP slot. now I had 5 bad mobos from Fry's on that one. I'm scrappin AGP.

Sucks, but it could be a problem with the motherboard. Try the RMA cards in a known good system and see what happens, just to be sure...

oh,... and stay the hell away from my computer,... I like my computer working, thank you very much ;) :D

TheTMan said:
Sucks, but it could be a problem with the motherboard. Try the RMA cards in a known good system and see what happens, just to be sure...

oh,... and stay the hell away from my computer,... I like my computer working, thank you very much ;) :D
This must be the "FRIEND"

My friend has the exact same motherboard and video card as the starter of this forum. And yes it is the incompatibility with the BFG and Asus. We have pinned it down, the motherboard is essentially eating the cards.

I would scrap Asus all together. They have major compatibilty issues with the big guys in vid cards. I got rid of mine when they had compatibility issues with ATI.

I went through 5 A8V-Deluxes. Scrap AGP and Asus. There isnt much support for AGP anymore anyway.

Kaos_Drem said:
My friend has the exact same motherboard and video card as the starter of this forum. And yes it is the incompatibility with the BFG and Asus. We have pinned it down, the motherboard is essentially eating the cards.

It is hungry it must eat, do you expect it to starve to death? :confused: :(

So now I'm on the phone with tech support.....Now if it was my system the card would just be dead right? Like just shut off, and no artifacting correct? lol.....I mean even in the post on my system is artifacted...Oh and I just dropped of the card at my old pc shop....I told the owner to take it home and use it for 2-3 weeks, and let me know whether it's good or bad...I told him to throw everything he's got at it....So now we'll see if it's my system or what......Oh and as I was on the phone with tech support...It was like magic, because UPS dropped by with another card from BFG...So that's the card I took to the shop....Now my asus board is v 2.something....Don't know if that plays a factor in here or not....So we'll see in the following 2-3 weeks whether something in my system is the culprit or whether it's the card itself....

EDIT: My agp slot was set to 1.5 volts...What's the proper setting? this was the asus default....And yes I've been using an fx5200 in that agp slot, it's a known good agp slot....

I've had 3 different BFG cards, and haven't had a single problem with any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back