Official Overwatch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
I've had the opposite experience, but then I think the problem is mostly psychology. Blizzard had a great post about it, but basically it boils down to this:

Players will say they prefer a close match, even one where they lose, to a steamroll even if it's a steamroll where they win. Reality tells a different story, in that when you give a player a close match that they lose they end up *feeling* like they got their ass kicked, and they complain and think the match was unfair. Essentially the result is that most players actually prefer a complete stomp(where they lose) to a close game where they lose, because the psychology is that in the total stomp you're not trying as hard because it seems hopeless. In the close game you're trying your hardest and it's frustrating you because you're still losing, so you actually dislike that match more. My win/loss rate is close to 60% in competitive, less in quick play but I have far more matches in quick play. The reality is that most matches are actually fairly well matched, but if people aren't playing heroes they're strong with or if they're just making bad picks then it can feel otherwise. If the matchmaker puts me on your team, it doesn't know if I'm going to play Zarya or if I'm going to play Lucio because nobody else would. I'm much stronger with Zarya than I am with Lucio, and even though my win ratio with Lucio is above 50% it's nowhere near the ~65% that I'm at with Zarya. When player choice plays such a big role before the match even starts, I'm honestly impressed that the matchmaking works as well as it does.

I prefer a close match definitely. If I lose on a payload map where the other team blows through our defense without us stopping it once I pretty much get pissed and give up when it's time for attack. Dorado seems to be notorious for this, it's so freaking hard to stop momentum on that map. I end up switching to 4 different heros trying to find something that works. Steamrolls are boring for me. Fun for a quick win yes, but I take a break if I'm on the losing end of one.

I loved this game in the beginning. Learning all the characters was fun. It was just a fun free for all when I started. But now that I know the characters and when to use them, and winning is the priority not just kills, I get more and more aggravated with the game. It is starting to be like Dota 2 for me. Rage inducing when someone picks the wrong characters or just doesn't help the team. I can see me giving up on the game all together in the next month or so, just like I did on Dota 2. It'd be fine if you actually got put on teams and against players of your skill level, but just like Dota 2, there's always people who just steam roll everyone or are just giant idiots that don't work with the team.

I essentially willed myself past the ELO hell that is the 50's. Currently sitting at 62, 3 more to get 300cp!

Why are people still so bad in the 60's? seriously. So frustrating when people want to always dps and they're so bad at it.

I don't usually care what people start off playing, and sometimes it works well by screwing with the other teams build. I as well sometimes just want to play a character for a bit or do well with an odd character in an odd portion of the map.

However if it just is not working I'll change after a minute or two if we have no progress. That is the bit that usually gets me a bit annoyed. If your character choice is doing nothing, pick something else. Sure you may want to play that one hero but if all your doing is dying move on for a few minutes. Rounds are short and you can go back to trying again.

However when the know it all's get on and want to get pissy because you didnt pick the hero they thought was perfect or didnt do it their way meh, I'll either re queue or play whatever I want.

I don't usually care what people start off playing, and sometimes it works well by screwing with the other teams build. I as well sometimes just want to play a character for a bit or do well with an odd character in an odd portion of the map.

However if it just is not working I'll change after a minute or two if we have no progress. That is the bit that usually gets me a bit annoyed. If your character choice is doing nothing, pick something else. Sure you may want to play that one hero but if all your doing is dying move on for a few minutes. Rounds are short and you can go back to trying again.

However when the know it all's get on and want to get pissy because you didnt pick the hero they thought was perfect or didnt do it their way meh, I'll either re queue or play whatever I want.
It's definitely the ones who refuse to change when they are being hard countered and not doing much that are the problems. Also, the ones who refuse to join voice comms even if they don't have a mic

Alright,

KUh9Pbw.gif

This is going to be the next AAA game I purchase.

(Once I'm burned out on Grim Dawn etc)

I have tried out TF2 (heck its free on steam!) and I definitely don't like the gameplay of it, is Overwatch the same?
I play a lot of BF games since 4 years and I don't want to be disappointed if I will buy Overwatch
Not trying to FlameBait here, just wanted facts and opinions.

Not the same as TF2. Overwatch gets compared to TF2 a lot because it was heavily inspired by it, but apart from sharing some game mode similarities, (control point, payload) the two games are vastly different.

Don't know if BF/COD fans would like Overwatch. The game dumps a lot of the typical FPS conventions and stresses objective over K/D, coop over solo, and ultimate abilities instead of weapons. No deathmatch or team deathmatch in the game, and the 6v6 format is something alien to a lot of FPS fans.

It's definitely the ones who refuse to change when they are being hard countered and not doing much that are the problems. Also, the ones who refuse to join voice comms even if they don't have a mic
Fucking. Seriously.

The ones who INSIST that they have to be Ana when the team already has a Mercy, and we're on offense anyway, are especially irritating.

I have tried out TF2 (heck its free on steam!) and I definitely don't like the gameplay of it, is Overwatch the same?
I play a lot of BF games since 4 years and I don't want to be disappointed if I will buy Overwatch
Not trying to FlameBait here, just wanted facts and opinions.

The similarity between Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch is superficial. I didn't like TF2 either, but I love Overwatch.

Overwatch's matches only last about 10 minutes, and the maps are quite a bit smaller, so you spend a lot more time actually in contact with the other team. Also, the characters have a lot more character of their own - it's easy to forget they're actually being played by people sometimes. In contrast, Team Fortress 2's characters don't even have names, and are much more like blank canvases upon which the player is supposed to project himself. It's surprising, actually, how much of a difference this makes, in terms of how likeable one perceives other players to be.

Now, if the thing you like about Battlefield is that it makes you feel like a Real Tacticool Badass™, this isn't necessarily the game for you, as it makes no pretensions of realism at all, graphically or otherwise.

I love it when at team selection the team appears well balanced than a few minutes in you see 3 Pharah's and 2 Reapers on your team...

As to higher levels meaning more skill...levels just reflect time spent in game. Personally I love this game so much I built a new pc to replace my 8 year old one to play because PS4 was too frustrating to play on. This game literally reignited my PC master race love.

I love it when at team selection the team appears well balanced than a few minutes in you see 3 Pharah's and 2 Reapers on your team...

As to higher levels meaning more skill...levels just reflect time spent in game. Personally I love this game so much I built a new pc to replace my 8 year old one to play because PS4 was too frustrating to play on. This game literally reignited my PC master race love.

Skill rating reflects skill, generally. You lose more xp than you gain. So effectively you need to be winning more often to always rank up. Levels however, do not.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748474858#post-1

Hey everyone,

When we implemented the “High Bandwidth” option to Custom Games back in beta, we also noted that—if the feature performed well and players responded positively to it—we would investigate adding it to other games modes. We’re holding to that promise and are currently in the process of rolling out high bandwidth support globally for PC. This process may take a few weeks for all regions, but once fully deployed all games including those in Quick Play and Competitive Play will be running in high bandwidth mode by default.

So what does that mean? In Overwatch, our high bandwidth option adjusts the game’s client update rate (the frequency at which your client gets updates from the game server) from 21 updates per second to 63 updates per second. This reduces the amount of time between when you complete an action and when your client hears back about the result, which in turn will help make the game feel more responsive.

Since we know that not all internet connections are equal, we’ve also added in tech that will automatically and adaptively scale down your update rate if we find your connection can't keep up. Similarly, because high bandwidth servers (as the name suggests) will increase your bandwidth consumption, we’re also looking to add an option to self-limit your update rate in a future patch.

We’re very excited to be able to roll out this support on PC, and are already exploring how we can bring it to consoles. We hope your experience in Overwatch will be improved as a result, and look forward to hearing your feedback

I played against and with a guy over level 400... forgot the exact level but he had 4 stars. Guy was terrible. How do you play that much and still suck?

I played against and with a guy over level 400... forgot the exact level but he had 4 stars. Guy was terrible. How do you play that much and still suck?
I believe you get XP for playing against AI opponents. My 8 year old is now higher level than me and he trounces the AI a lot.

One account, whole household plays. Parent + Kids = lots of playtime but wildly varying skill.

Everyone has a limit where they're not reasonably going to get better. A lot of people feel like if they practiced as much as the pros they'd be just as good - those people are almost universally mistaken. I know PLENTY of people from playing BF4 who had over 2000 hours in the game who were also some of the most awful players I had ever played with...but they were convinced that they were actually great and everyone else was just hacking.

I believe you get XP for playing against AI opponents. My 8 year old is now higher level than me and he trounces the AI a lot.

One account, whole household plays. Parent + Kids = lots of playtime but wildly varying skill.

Both valid points I hadn't considered. To have that much playtime, the shared account seems likely.

Since we're in limbo right now between seasons, I've seen wildly varying skill levels of players all playing Quickplay.

Youd be surprised how much people play and still suck.

It's why some people tend to only play games where time investment means "you're good".

I calibrated at like 3700 on the PTR and can't play with a good chunk of my friends any more

we played like all but 1 of those games together.... welp.

Imo I rather have that than having to play and carry people just because people want to play with friends. That or introduce solo competitive mode and keep the current one which allows for you to play with friends.

The absolute biggest thing I hated was seeing a 40 with a 65+ playing in my games and we knew who the weakest link was

the one thing i hate most, the ONE thing is throwing a match early on in payload, losing the first round in about 40 seconds and then actually trying REALLY hard on the swap, ending up in a tie, going to OT and of course losing because you fucking threw the game in the first 40 seconds.

30 minutes of total shit. either fully throw or fully play, dont throw and then try. I don't get why people do this in competitive.

I hadn't gotten around to playing this for a week or two, but I made some time and played a little over the weekend.

Ho. Lee. Fuck. What a freaking mess.. In an hour of playing, every single team I found myself on had:
1. At least one player who insisted on playing Ana, regardless of the map, or what the rest of the team was doing.
2. At least one player who insisted on playing a character that is poorly suited to the task at hand Ex: Dude who insisted on playing Torbjorn while on offense on King's Row.
3. At least one player who wanted to screw around and play a whole team of five Reinhardts (plus Torbjorn-on-offense dude).

I really love this game, but hell if I don't hate most of the players. Is it too much to ask to just play the game normally for 20 minutes?

I hadn't gotten around to playing this for a week or two, but I made some time and played a little over the weekend.

Ho. Lee. Fuck. What a freaking mess.. In an hour of playing, every single team I found myself on had:
1. At least one player who insisted on playing Ana, regardless of the map, or what the rest of the team was doing.
2. At least one player who insisted on playing a character that is poorly suited to the task at hand Ex: Dude who insisted on playing Torbjorn while on offense on King's Row.
3. At least one player who wanted to screw around and play a whole team of five Reinhardts (plus Torbjorn-on-offense dude).

I really love this game, but hell if I don't hate most of the players. Is it too much to ask to just play the game normally for 20 minutes?
Competitive or open?

I play regularly and for the most part even in quick play the compositions are generally plausible. Not that there aren't the random throw away games, I even instigate some them since I if anyone double picks a hero I always match for a 3rd which then snowballs into more picks, but for the most part it seems fine.

If you want consistency then you need to find others to play with.

At the end its just a game and people are going to mess around and have fun. I remember people knifing only in CS Source or kamikaze jeep only in Battlefield or whatever gimmick. Not everyone is going to be serious and try hard in an open game all the time.

I play regularly and for the most part even in quick play the compositions are generally plausible. Not that there aren't the random throw away games, I even instigate some them since I if anyone double picks a hero I always match for a 3rd which then snowballs into more picks, but for the most part it seems fine.

If you want consistency then you need to find others to play with.

At the end its just a game and people are going to mess around and have fun. I remember people knifing only in CS Source or kamikaze jeep only in Battlefield or whatever gimmick. Not everyone is going to be serious and try hard in an open game all the time.
Well, right, and screwing around sometimes is OK, but I seriously played at least an hour, if not longer yesterday, and dealt with this continuously. That's six-plus games in a row of this. I even tried disconnecting between matches, to get in a different queue, which didn't really help.

This was in quick play, though. I would assume that the competitive mode is better, but I don't have the time to devote to being really good, and that doesn't seem fair to other players.

Well, right, and screwing around sometimes is OK, but I seriously played at least an hour, if not longer yesterday, and dealt with this continuously. That's six-plus games in a row of this. I even tried disconnecting between matches, to get in a different queue, which didn't really help.

This was in quick play, though. I would assume that the competitive mode is better, but I don't have the time to devote to being really good, and that doesn't seem fair to other players.
I haven't made it to competitive yet and it seems the only ticket is via grinding it out in quick play where like you said it's a huge mixed bag.

Might just be bad sample? I dunno I play both during what would be peak in the evening or the dead hours in the morning (where I get matched with people from Asia/Oceania) and I'd say there is more "plausible" games than not. Note I do use the term plausible, I don't think you can expect 2/2/2 composition with flexible voice chatting players.

Might try the brawl for this week since there might be a higher chance of running into more serious players practicing the new map for competitive.

Competitive mode it depends on where you rank from what I understand. The hard hero limit avoids certain issues though. I don't think you have to devote yourself to be "good" to play competitive. At the end the population is going to be rated relative to each other and only a small minority can actually be the top players. You'll be playing with people around your ability (or at least eventually). Generally most people would just love a flex player as opposed to someone who only plays 1 role or even worse hero.

I should add that I'm really flex (and bias towards tank/healers) so I suppose in a way that contributes to alleviating potential role issues.

I haven't made it to competitive yet and it seems the only ticket is via grinding it out in quick play where like you said it's a huge mixed bag.

Shouldn't be bad only lvl 25, I think less than 20 hrs to do it? Really the low end on getting a basic understanding of the game and multiple roles for competitive.

Match quality is vastly higher in competitive.

Doesn't stop everyone from being fucking idiots, though. Had someone riding my nuts the other day about my awful DPS. I had a couple shitty deaths right at the start then fell into 12th gear and beasted the rest of the game. I finished the game with something stupid like 32% of the team damage and an 18 kill streak since I never died through the entire sudden death round.

Yep there's better matches in competitive, but sometimes you still get matched with players who placed way higher than they should have. I really dislike not being able to derank after hitting a certain place. Someone on my list is so bad they placed in gold and promptly kept losing down to 1700's. That should not warrant a gold rank for them..

Back