Official Overwatch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
Does the Origin's Edition only have extra skins that you can still unlock through play? Not counting the otehr game bonuses (only one I might be interested in is Tracer in HOTS but I have an insane amount of gold saved in that game already).

Same with pre-order?

Thinking about getting this.

Does the Origin's Edition only have extra skins that you can still unlock through play? Not counting the otehr game bonuses (only one I might be interested in is Tracer in HOTS but I have an insane amount of gold saved in that game already).

Same with pre-order?

Thinking about getting this.

It doesn't look like you can buy them

Origin skins being I guess older versions of the characters before whatever event kicks off the actual game.

Played the game for the first time today. Did pretty well i think.

I just don't like the game.

Oh strange. Well that's good to hear! I played 3, and each was Assault or Defend a single square.

We also dont know what they plan for the future of the game. I would love to have access to more of the maps for the hero's that allow such movement but once you focus in on the task the fast paced rounds can be hectic and allow for deeper game play than one would think. Get with a bad group though and it does suck. At least you wont be annoyed for long and can re group :)

The problem is really asymmetric teams. Which comes back to why I don't like how games put premades or even partial premades (let's face it 5 out 6 is basically a premade) in with solo (or much smaller) queue in these auto match systems.

But since the matches are short and there really isn't any leave penalty (I can tell?) it lessens the issue somewhat since you aren't basically stuck.

I'll have to see if anyone knows also wants to get this I guess since just solo queue could get old as much as I think the game is pretty fun.

Oh strange. Well that's good to hear! I played 3, and each was Assault or Defend a single square.

Maps - Overwatch Wiki

There's basically 4 game modes at the moment.

Although I don't know if the map rotation/choice is evenly weighted? I've only played the control (king of the hill analogue) map once.

It doesn't look like you can buy them

Origin skins being I guess older versions of the characters before whatever event kicks off the actual game.

I see so those are exclusive, although I guess there is an Origins upgrade option so there isn't any real loss in not going with that?

The pre-order skin though is just unlockable in game.

I played the PS4 version and it was fun. But I just still cannot see how anyone would enjoy FPS on a console.
I saw some "best moment" overwatch videos and you can tell the console videos by watching how the person so desperately tries to aim.
In the PC videos it is fluid and fast.

Pretty great game though....I am going to try the PC version next.

I played the PS4 version and it was fun. But I just still cannot see how anyone would enjoy FPS on a console.
I saw some "best moment" overwatch videos and you can tell the console videos by watching how the person so desperately tries to aim.
In the PC videos it is fluid and fast.

Pretty great game though....I am going to try the PC version next.
Literally just getting ready to post this same thing.

I played on Xbox instead of PS4, though. I will definitely be picking up the PC version when it comes out.

I really wanted to like this game, but the lack of diverse game modes or more complex matchmaking just kinda makes it feel like a shallow game.

Being able to switch characters in the middle of a match also makes it feel shallow---but that could just be me being used to MOBAs.

After playing the Beta it reminded me of the fastpaced gameplay of TF2. I gotta say the open beta actually makes me want to buy the game.

I really wanted to like this game, but the lack of diverse game modes or more complex matchmaking just kinda makes it feel like a shallow game.

Being able to switch characters in the middle of a match also makes it feel shallow---but that could just be me being used to MOBAs.
Its based on tf2 which also allows character changes and I found it the opposite, I find character switches makes it much more diverse as you can communicate and change your strategy completely. Just played about 5 matches and 2 of them we came back from losing with the score being 0%-63% on the objective because we were able to change out the classes as needed based on other teams playstyle. Makes it so you cant count on the enemy using the same playstyle the whole match and they can change at any notice.

I agree on game modes, I really hope for more game types like CTF and some kind of non objective kill mode (not as basic as TDM, like juggernaut).

They need better match making and modes for sure. I had my fun for a day, but there is a lot of things that can definitely improve. As of the open beta experience, I wouldn't buy it. It needs more.

Now.... anyone looked at LawBreakers? That looks cool.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Its based on tf2 which also allows character changes and I found it the opposite, I find character switches makes it much more diverse as you can communicate and change your strategy completely. Just played about 5 matches and 2 of them we came back from losing with the score being 0%-63% on the objective because we were able to change out the classes as needed based on other teams playstyle. Makes it so you cant count on the enemy using the same playstyle the whole match and they can change at any notice.

I agree on game modes, I really hope for more game types like CTF and some kind of non objective kill mode (not as basic as TDM, like juggernaut).

I can see that being part of the complexity of the game.. the fact that anyone can change whenever would require a much more fluid strategy.

I'll bet if you had a group of friends queuing up together, this game would be way more fun. Currently feels slightly zerglike. I did watch a stream of this dude playing a support ice chick, and he was doing really well at his job, cutting of their healer and making the squishies vulnerable.

I dunno, after playing this on PS4 and then on the PC I can say PC version is fricking crack...

Nice to see this thread turned out to get some activity so here's an update: in the past when I created the thread I didn't even have a machine that could run it with any decent level of performance but just yesterday I nabbed a near-mint condition Dell Precision M6700 beast machine workstation laptop and let me tell you, it can handle Overwatch and a whole lot more. ;)

So even though the beta thing ends in a few hours, I did get it installed last night and played for about 2 hours. It's been so many years since I was into any kind of "fast twitch" game - I have a long history of playing Quake I, II, and III even on a competitive level and was damned good at it for years - that I was left behind during Overwatch in many respects but, it's still awesome as hell to now have some hardware that can handle it. There's a lot of stuff I've been wanting to check out and now I can since even though it's a Quadro K4000M GPU w/4GB of GDDR5 (based on a GTX 670m as I understand it) so I plan to goof off with a lot of demos in the next few days.

I really wanted to get into the limited beta of Mirror's Edge Catalyst and I even did get a demo code for it but apparently once they stopped the beta after the limited time availability the code was rendered useless. I do have the original Mirror's Edge on Steam (got that free years ago and just never messed with it) so that'll be something that gets snatched this weekend I suppose.

Overall I was having a blast with Overwatch even though I never got into team-based play of any kind, I was always a major Deathmatch freestyle player so this is something new to me. Never got into Team Arena with Quake either, the team aspect just never mattered to me but with Overwatch I just might have to change my old ways and learn something new.

We'll see what happens but I am definitely leaning towards buying this one, it'll be the first game purchase in like 14 years - the last was Quake III Arena and there just hasn't been anything (other than Mirror's Edge) that interested me at all. Overwatch definitely changed that much. ;)

Nice to see this thread turned out to get some activity so here's an update: in the past when I created the thread I didn't even have a machine that could run it with any decent level of performance but just yesterday I nabbed a near-mint condition Dell Precision M6700 beast machine workstation laptop and let me tell you, it can handle Overwatch and a whole lot more. ;)

So even though the beta thing ends in a few hours, I did get it installed last night and played for about 2 hours. It's been so many years since I was into any kind of "fast twitch" game - I have a long history of playing Quake I, II, and III even on a competitive level and was damned good at it for years - that I was left behind during Overwatch in many respects but, it's still awesome as hell to now have some hardware that can handle it. There's a lot of stuff I've been wanting to check out and now I can since even though it's a Quadro K4000M GPU w/4GB of GDDR5 (based on a GTX 670m as I understand it) so I plan to goof off with a lot of demos in the next few days.

I really wanted to get into the limited beta of Mirror's Edge Catalyst and I even did get a demo code for it but apparently once they stopped the beta after the limited time availability the code was rendered useless. I do have the original Mirror's Edge on Steam (got that free years ago and just never messed with it) so that'll be something that gets snatched this weekend I suppose.

Overall I was having a blast with Overwatch even though I never got into team-based play of any kind, I was always a major Deathmatch freestyle player so this is something new to me. Never got into Team Arena with Quake either, the team aspect just never mattered to me but with Overwatch I just might have to change my old ways and learn something new.

We'll see what happens but I am definitely leaning towards buying this one, it'll be the first game purchase in like 14 years - the last was Quake III Arena and there just hasn't been anything (other than Mirror's Edge) that interested me at all. Overwatch definitely changed that much. ;)

I used to play tons of UT and HL deathmatch, CTF and such. I was "OK" IN HL maybe better than ok. In most current gen twitch games I suck balls. Overwatch somehow clicked with me though.

I find the PC version of Overwatch to be pretty easy to pick up and after focusing on one character for a few games I was scoring 10 and 7 kill streaks in some games. I think the character had a lot to do with it, (Bastion) is a bit OP and everyone was complaining about him being OP so I will bet he gets nerfed, this is Blizzard after all.

Very fun. I also play for 2 hours straight last night and didn't notice the time. First time in a long time a game has sucked the time up like that for me.

Awesome.

Man you guys will complain about and tear apart any game. This game is so fun and simple, not every game will fit every single checkbox for you perfectionists....

It's a paid product, if it's not good enough, it's not good enough.

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be able to justify it. Not with it's current modes. I want to say that I'm not the target audience, and I'm not, but my friend who loves Blizzard games and FPS, and is liking this game a lot as well is saying the same.

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be able to justify it. Not with it's current modes. I want to say that I'm not the target audience, and I'm not, but my friend who loves Blizzard games and FPS, and is liking this game a lot as well is saying the same.

Yeah. Well this is the FIRST EVER game I played a beta where I actually had a shit ton of fun.

I can see myself playing every once in a while. Jumping in for a quick match. Just add it to my Battle.net account.
Maybe a good dad's day gift request.

I used to play tons of UT and HL deathmatch, CTF and such. I was "OK" IN HL maybe better than ok. In most current gen twitch games I suck balls. Overwatch somehow clicked with me though.

I find the PC version of Overwatch to be pretty easy to pick up and after focusing on one character for a few games I was scoring 10 and 7 kill streaks in some games. I think the character had a lot to do with it, (Bastion) is a bit OP and everyone was complaining about him being OP so I will bet he gets nerfed, this is Blizzard after all.

Very fun. I also play for 2 hours straight last night and didn't notice the time. First time in a long time a game has sucked the time up like that for me.

Awesome.

Bastion is just a boring as fuck hero who is stupidly effective.

His damage as a turret is so hilariously stratospheric that you always get these plays of the game where he melts 3 players who had 0.8 seconds to react before going from full health to dead.

His damage as a turret is so hilariously stratospheric that you always get these plays of the game where he melts 3 players who had 0.8 seconds to react before going from full health to dead.

Very true. But it is fun as hell to play him as strafe the shit out of people.
Will be trying out other chars. Bastion will get nerfed to death soon.

If you put a healer on him and get a nice spot it is monster kill time.

He is slow though and not bulletproof. most of the time he is one shotted anyway.

His counter is high dps fast characters and range. I've gotten really good at taking bastion out with Hanzo as you can just dance around a corner at long range and take him out in 3-4 shots. I'm not very good with tracer but players who are destroy bastion close up, they just dance around him and take him down rather quickly.

my favorite character is torbjorn and soldier 76 so far. Soldier 76 is just awesome if you can aim, but torbjorn is devastating when played right. Long range arcing shots and a brutal shotgun he can go toe to toe with a lot of characters without his turret, but if you have your turret chances are you win most 1v1 and even 1v2 fights. I managed to kill a few Reinhardt's 1v1 by just rushing them with my shotty, throws them off so bad and you can tell they panic and can't fight back (which is odd, he's a tank with a big freaking hammer lol)

His counter is high dps fast characters and range. I've gotten really good at taking bastion out with Hanzo as you can just dance around a corner at long range and take him out in 3-4 shots. I'm not very good with tracer but players who are destroy bastion close up, they just dance around him and take him down rather quickly.

Right, he is very vulnerable and most of the time I go to turret mode I am dead before the gun comes out.

I think the balance is pretty fricking tight in this game. People just like to bitch about chars being op

Right, he is very vulnerable and most of the time I go to turret mode I am dead before the gun comes out.

I think the balance is pretty fricking tight in this game. People just like to bitch about chars being op
yup, I avoid bastion unless I know my teams comp allows for it. Like you said he dies very often just setting up, and like I said he can be danced around very easy by the mobile dps classes if they get up close. Reaper is another one whos very effective at this. I agree with you on balance, I have found it so well done already with every character having atleast 1 hard counter

Bastion is also hilariously easy to deal with as a whole host of characters. Reaper can get behind him, so can Tracer. Pharah can corner-pop him, so can Hanzo and Widowmaker. If you can get up-close as McCree then Bastion is an easy kill. Bastion only works well if his team can keep the enemy busy on the flanks.

I really don't see any need to nerf Bastion at all. Bastion gives some heroes a lot of trouble, and he's supposed to...because there are some heroes that give Bastion a lot of trouble, and that's why this game is balanced around teams and team comp and not 1v1.

Bastion is also hilariously easy to deal with as a whole host of characters. Reaper can get behind him, so can Tracer. Pharah can corner-pop him, so can Hanzo and Widowmaker. If you can get up-close as McCree then Bastion is an easy kill. Bastion only works well if his team can keep the enemy busy on the flanks.

I really don't see any need to nerf Bastion at all. Bastion gives some heroes a lot of trouble, and he's supposed to...because there are some heroes that give Bastion a lot of trouble, and that's why this game is balanced around teams and team comp and not 1v1.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Bastion isn't so bad. I love nabbing Bastion with my chain when I play Roadhog. You can pull him right out of turret mode.

I have more issues with Mei's healing Ice thing. Shouldn't she at least take some damage if she's being shot at in that ice cocoon?

Bastion isn't so bad. I love nabbing Bastion with my chain when I play Roadhog. You can pull him right out of turret mode.

I have more issues with Mei's healing Ice thing. Shouldn't she at least take some damage if she's being shot at in that ice cocoon?

Honestly, Mei might be the most OP character in the game if you run across someone that knows what they're doing. Her Ult is ridiculous, she can chain freeze/icicle your face, has a low CD heal/invuln, and has good utility with the ice wall.

Overall though the game is extremely well balanced. A few characters could probably use a tweak or two, but it's honestly pretty close to perfectly balanced. Especially when you consider you can switch characters mid match to hard counter another player if you need to.

Mei's weakness is range. Her right-click is tricky to use at range because of the delay and travel time, and her left-click is very short range. I agree the ice cocoon is very powerful but I don't think it's overpowered. Mei is a slow character overall, and the ice cocoon is basically just a reset button for her but the cooldown is long enough that you should be able to take her down when she emerges if you play smart. I will say though that Mei is extremely strong when played by someone who knows what they're doing. Her ult is ridiculous in the right spot.

Played the game for the first time today. Did pretty well i think.

I just don't like the game.

Same. I played a couple of matches in the beta and was left feeling really "meh". The production value is typical top notch Blizzard, but the couple of matches I played seemed so one sided, with my team winning easily, that it didn't seem like I even needed to actually play, and my actually attempting to play didn't have any obvious effect.

For instance, there was one where the goal was apparently to defend a disabled tank in a market square. The map was apparently quite large, but I spent the whole match within about 30 meters of that tank. The enemies would all come together down the same street, get obliterated by the turret my team's engineer built, and then we'd have 45 seconds or so to wait around until the next wave. It was... boring.

For instance, there was one where the goal was apparently to defend a disabled tank in a market square. The map was apparently quite large, but I spent the whole match within about 30 meters of that tank. The enemies would all come together down the same street, get obliterated by the turret my team's engineer built, and then we'd have 45 seconds or so to wait around until the next wave. It was... boring.

Ah yes, that reminds me of the other thing that felt out of place. The overly large (and thus mostly unused) maps and the static spawn locations.

Same. I played a couple of matches in the beta and was left feeling really "meh". The production value is typical top notch Blizzard, but the couple of matches I played seemed so one sided, with my team winning easily, that it didn't seem like I even needed to actually play, and my actually attempting to play didn't have any obvious effect.

You judge the game based on the skill of some random players? Interesting.

My son’s T-ball team has creamed some other teams. I wouldn’t blame the whole state for being boring though.

I've had some games that are complete dominations (both for my team and against) but I've also had some nerve racking close games. Best one was us being destroyed by the other team in the capture and hold the point gametype. They got to 98% when suddenly our team clicked and took it over, we won 100% to 98% lol. Most games I played were relatively close to each other and it will only get better as they add ranked matches with skill based games.

Back