*Official* Norco data storage products thread

One thing to keep in mind about redundant power supplies is that they usually have very loud fans, since they are small and high-speed.

Has anyone used one of Norco redundant power supplies? Thoughts?

http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=245

Pricey, but not a lot of options for non-OEM redundant power supplies out there.

nowwhatnapster - thanks for the info. I'm actually pretty sure I saw that rack on CL, but couldn't justify the drive to NY for it.
For the cost of that and the case, you could just get a 4U 24 bay Supermicro. I would highly recommend going that route as Supermicro's quality is far higher.

^ agreed. Especially if the server will be used for business purposes, I always steer people toward the Supermicro's. Nice little things like the fan shroud and hotswappability for all fans including the rear exhaust make a Supermicro case a little more solid for business use. And when you combine it with a Supermicro motherboard, there's one single connector cable front the front panel that plugs into the motherboard and you're done. no hassling with figuring out individually where the power switch/power LED/HDD led 2-pin connectors go. the steel in the chassis is also higher gauge, which you'll notice because its a lot heavier than a Norco 4224 even with the PSU's removed.

There are things to love about both the Norco and the Supermicro, each with different reasons.

Where is the best place to order any Norco case? I'd love one for my home server (currently WHSv1 but migrating to Server 2008 R2 & FlexRAID) since my current tower case is at its limit.

Ok, now to decide if I want to save for a 4224 or get something more like the 3216 since I won't fill that up for a while (probably famous last words here).

Get the 4224. Saves you the pain of having to swap guts into a new chassis, it's a little roomier (you have a lot more vertical space to work with, you can get creative if needed).

Just be sure to seal off the unused drive trays.

Get the 4224. Saves you the pain of having to swap guts into a new chassis, it's a little roomier (you have a lot more vertical space to work with, you can get creative if needed).

Just be sure to seal off the unused drive trays.

And then search high and low for a cheap used SAS card w/ mini SAS ports & HP Expander on eBay?

Your link in the OP about airflow points back to this thread, it should point here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1553566

Thanks for the good info! I remember just taking a shot with a RPC-4020 back in early '08 before they became crazy popular, still going strong here!

Thanks for the catch about the OP link.

And damn straight about the 4020. Was solid for a long time. I'm finally decommissioning mine and scrapping it, since I can't deal with how ill-fitting the original drive trays were (needs olympic strength to get them in and out). Plus I've standardized all my drives on the 4220/4224 style trays, including all my spares. You can order extra drive trays from Norco/ipcdirect - they come in handy for your spares on the shelf.

Where is the best place to order any Norco case? I'd love one for my home server (currently WHSv1 but migrating to Server 2008 R2 & FlexRAID) since my current tower case is at its limit.

I got my 4020 at the end of August from Newegg when there was a combo deal with free Lite-On DVD burner and 600w OCZ psu, total was $311.90 shipped.

The 4220 currently is bundled with a 1tb Seagate for $315 shipped.

^^^
Yups... that's a great deal for $315 but since I'm in cali, I had to pay tax. Got it shipped for $340'ish I think. I ordered one and should be here sometime this week. Time to tear down a old tower and start building a proper storage system. Still can't decide on WHS or other solutions for storage... been reading up on lotta things here and trying to absorb all the info. :)

neweggs running a 15% off deal on norco products with code NORC15 ... no end date listed, just says limited time only.

i have to ask why there is only 2 reviews on the 4224 on newegg though if its a good case? I plan to get one in a few months once I get some spare cash around to start the build. roof repair put a damper in my last attempt at it

And then search high and low for a cheap used SAS card w/ mini SAS ports & HP Expander on eBay?

Uhh, I think so? I don't recall what connectors the 4220/4224 have, but IIRC (maybe this was teh 4220), it's just mini-SAS, so you can use a cheap mini-SAS <-> mini-SAS (or SFF-8087?) cable to connect a card like the USAS-L8i to the backplane.

Right now I have a USAS-L8i that connects to my 4020's backplane using 2 SFF-8087 to SATA cables (one SFF-8087 connector to four SATA data connectors).

This post is all from memory, anybody feel free to jump in and correct the connector types.

Uhh, I think so? I don't recall what connectors the 4220/4224 have, but IIRC (maybe this was teh 4220), it's just mini-SAS, so you can use a cheap mini-SAS <-> mini-SAS (or SFF-8087?) cable to connect a card like the USAS-L8i to the backplane.

Right now I have a USAS-L8i that connects to my 4020's backplane using 2 SFF-8087 to SATA cables (one SFF-8087 connector to four SATA data connectors).

This post is all from memory, anybody feel free to jump in and correct the connector types.

The 4224 has mini-SAS (or SFF-8087 if you want to get technical) so I would need at least the reverse breakout cables.

The 4224 has mini-SAS (or SFF-8087 if you want to get technical) so I would need at least the reverse breakout cables.

You only need the reverse breakout cable if you are using the mobo sata ports or controller card that has only sata ports, otherwise you can just use SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable (if you have mini-SAS SFF-8087 controller card).

You only need the reverse breakout cable if you are using the mobo sata ports or controller card that has only sata ports, otherwise you can just use SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable (if you have mini-SAS SFF-8087 controller card).

Yeah, to begin with I'd be using my mobo sata ports :(

neweggs running a 15% off deal on norco products with code NORC15 ... no end date listed, just says limited time only.

Just tried this on a 4220 - I get the following message:
"Although you've entered a valid promo code NORC15, your order does not currently meet the code's usage criteria."

P.S. - They also have a combo right now with a Seagate 1TB drive - the discount is the amount of the drive (ie - the drive is free). Yesterday this same combo, the discount was actually greater than the cost of the drive (ie - it was cheaper than just the 4220 alone, and you got a free drive)

Does this seem sketchy to anyone else? I contacted Norco sales through their ipcdirect.net site about shipping charges on multiple items, and I was contacted by "NORCO Mike" from a gmail address who clarified and offered to send me a proper invoice via paypal. I said sure, and when the paypal invoice arrived, it was from "NORCO Technologies Inc([email protected])"

That seems like a massively sketchy email account to paypal a chunk of change.

Anyone had experiences dealing with this?

I emailed back and forth with Mike a few times. I placed an order as soon as the 120mm brackets went on sale and bought 1 for 1$ with in-store pickup. I called a few times before I went out to make sure they were in stock. They returned my call and were pretty helpful over the phone and in the warehouse. I can't speak for that paypal address specifically, but Mike was the same person I emailed and spoke with on the phone.

I emailed back and forth with Mike a few times. I placed an order as soon as the 120mm brackets went on sale and bought 1 for 1$ with in-store pickup. I called a few times before I went out to make sure they were in stock. They returned my call and were pretty helpful over the phone and in the warehouse. I can't speak for that paypal address specifically, but Mike was the same person I emailed and spoke with on the phone.

Woah... Nice. 120mm bracket for a buck? I was thinking about getting one of those but does it really matter? I read in few forums that 80mm fans that came stock gets better airflow but loud as heck! The case will be in the office room so noise isn't really much of a problem. Just got the case and I'm still putting it together so I haven't booted yet. I'm hoping it's not like jet airplane taking off as some posts stated. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I just check the site and the 120mm bracket still shows $11. Gahhh...

Does this seem sketchy to anyone else? I contacted Norco sales through their ipcdirect.net site about shipping charges on multiple items, and I was contacted by "NORCO Mike" from a gmail address who clarified and offered to send me a proper invoice via paypal. I said sure, and when the paypal invoice arrived, it was from "NORCO Technologies Inc([email protected])"

That seems like a massively sketchy email account to paypal a chunk of change.

Anyone had experiences dealing with this?

I bought some reverse breakout cables on ebay, and thats the email the seller used. Cables were shipped from Norco. No problems what so ever.

Just tried this on a 4220 - I get the following message:
"Although you've entered a valid promo code NORC15, your order does not currently meet the code's usage criteria."

P.S. - They also have a combo right now with a Seagate 1TB drive - the discount is the amount of the drive (ie - the drive is free). Yesterday this same combo, the discount was actually greater than the cost of the drive (ie - it was cheaper than just the 4220 alone, and you got a free drive)

For anyone who orders the combo, don't be shocked if they forget to ship your HD. They forgot to ship mine.

$245 shipped for a 4020 and a 1TB HD ain't bad at all...

Well... I got the norco 4220 case and finally set up the system. Few problems though... the backplanes will not power up and one of the backplane started to smoke!!! I pulled the power cable out to shut off the system. Gahh!!! Luckily I didn't have any drives in the system other than the OS drive. Whew. Time to call norco and get some replacement backplanes. Anyone know how good is their exchange policy???

JB

Are you using a modular PSU by chance, say like a Corsair HX series? I've blown up a Norco backplane (sparking, smoking) by accidentally using a modular cable from another brand of modular PSU because they'd all gotten mixed into the same "spares" box, and I'd assumed they employed the same wiring configuration, but they most definitely didn't. Lesson learned.

In my experience Norco's exchange policy has been excellent, replacement components have generally been free of charge and were shipped same-day, unless I was ordering extras of something. Can't say the same for Supermicro (its taken over a month in some cases to get a repair or replacement processed unless I paid a fee for advance exchange, in addition to the credit card deposit).

@ odditory,
I got the fan controllers you mentioned. How are you connecting them to the fans? Finding adapters is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Are you using a modular PSU by chance, say like a Corsair HX series? I've blown up a Norco backplane (sparking, smoking) by accidentally using a modular cable from another brand of modular PSU because they'd all gotten mixed into the same "spares" box, and I'd assumed they employed the same wiring configuration, but they most definitely didn't. Lesson learned.

In my experience Norco's exchange policy has been excellent, replacement components have generally been free of charge and were shipped same-day, unless I was ordering extras of something. Can't say the same for Supermicro (its taken over a month in some cases to get a repair or replacement processed unless I paid a fee for advance exchange, in addition to the credit card deposit).

Yes, I am using a modular PSU and using the cables that came with the PSU. Wiring looks messy to hook up all the backplanes. Need to clean it up when I get a chance... granted that the backplanes work. Tried calling Norco today but looks like they are closed. =[

Some pics of bad backplanes. Looks like where the led light is burned/smeared and the last sata port areas. Seeing smoke coming out of the backplane area freaked me out. LOL :rolleyes:

IMG_6779-1.jpg

IMG_6782-1.jpg

IMG_6781-1.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about your smoke. From your photo it looks like the rectifier. Is there any chance odditory is close and a plug got put in upside down or a short on one of the sas 3.3v pins?

oops.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about your smoke. From your photo it looks like the rectifier. Is there any chance odditory is close and a plug got put in upside down or a short on one of the sas 3.3v pins?

oops.jpg

I didn't hook up any sas cables to the backplane nor had any drives in it. I was just testing the system out to make sure all the backplanes are working. Read numerous times that the backplane(s) could be bad... :mad: Looks like I have to call Norco on monday since no one's answering the phone today. Gahhh!!! I'm not sure where odditory is located... ima in socal and I'll send him a PM and see.

JB

Last edited:
Q regarding the rear fans in the 4220... these are really really loud. I was gonna replace the 4 mid fans with the 120mm fans so, can I replace the rear fans with 80mm PWM fans and hook it up to the mobo pwm pins? Will it have sufficient airflow using the PWM fans?

JB

A bit of news: Norco is prepping an expander chassis, first a 2U 12-slot case, then a few months later a 4U 24-slot. I should know more + pics in a few weeks.

Since it's been nearly a month, any updates on this, odditory? I'm quickly running out of space for drives and I don't want to pull the trigger on a 4224 just to have this come down the pipes shortly after. Thanks.

A bit of news: Norco is prepping an expander chassis, first a 2U 12-slot case, then a few months later a 4U 24-slot. I should know more + pics in a few weeks.
I hope these arrive in the first half of 2011...they would meet some needs I'm anticipating perfectly.

Is it possible to use the 5 caddy hot-swap units from the RPC-450TH in the RPC-470. If so are they available for sale separately?

Regarding NORCO/Supermicro/etc backplanes, there are no 6Gbps SATA backplanes yet, correct?

Regarding NORCO/Supermicro/etc backplanes, there are no 6Gbps SATA backplanes yet, correct?

Well, the Norco backplanes don't have a built in expander or the like, and since 6Gbps SATA uses the same connector and cable as 3Gbps, technically the Norco backplanes should support 6Gbps.

Do you guys know if newegg sells the new type 4020? They still lists the old specs and old pics.

Do you guys know if newegg sells the new type 4020? They still lists the old specs and old pics.

I just bought one two weeks ago from Newegg and it came with the four 80mm fan bracket.

Back