*Official* Norco data storage products thread

Keep us updated how this works out, price/quality etc as this is probably something that is of interest to many...

Though these kind of cables is something that Norco should sell...

OK guys so I spoke to the manufacturer and they are willing to custom make cables to whatever length you want. Also, you can choose the connectors on each end (straight, 90-vertical-down; 90-vertical-up; 90-horizontal-right; 90-horizontal-left).

Let me know if anybody is interested, I'm going to be ordering a bunch - will work out to about $20 +/- per cable depending on length. Am going to order later this week, so let me know ASAP.

SoN][c;1036882440 said:
OK guys so I spoke to the manufacturer and they are willing to custom make cables to whatever length you want. Also, you can choose the connectors on each end (straight, 90-vertical-down; 90-vertical-up; 90-horizontal-right; 90-horizontal-left).

Let me know if anybody is interested, I'm going to be ordering a bunch - will work out to about $20 +/- per cable depending on length. Am going to order later this week, so let me know ASAP.

I'd be in for two 90-degree vertical-up (assuming that means the cable goes up from the connector, connector clip and cable on the same side) and straight on the other side, .5m for length. The on-board SAS ports on my motherboard are too close for comfort to the fan board in my 4224.

-apnar

Power connectors on 4224 case. Do I need to plug 2 power cables into each row?

I'm talking about the power connectors that power the hard drives. There are 2 for each row for a total of 12 connections. Is one ok, or do I need to plug both of them in?

Also, on the right side, there is another small 3 pin connector for each row. What is that for?

Power connectors on 4224 case. Do I need to plug 2 power cables into each row?

I'm talking about the power connectors that power the hard drives. There are 2 for each row for a total of 12 connections. Is one ok, or do I need to plug both of them in?

Also, on the right side, there is another small 3 pin connector for each row. What is that for?

the power are what I undersatan for redundancy psu so if you got 2 psu and one die but I also like to know that whit the samall 3pin

You jsut picked up a DS-24e ? Specs say it's 1 in and 2 out. Can you still dual link to a SAS HBA? or would that be single link only?

Well i don't think its an official Norco product, it just happens to be from the same fab where Norco sources their cases, evident by the fact its a guy shipping it from HK.

However I *think* there's a silent revision of newer RPC-4224 stock whereby they did away with the surface mount box at the front and made the power/reset flush, underneath the handle. The DS-24E expander I just picked up is like that.

This stuff is really much ado about nothing.

Norco :mad:

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Jayson wrote:

Hi Mike,

I purchased two fan brackets on 2/02/11, they were invoiced to my credit card on 2/04/11:

I still have not yet received this item. Can you please investigate?

Thank you,

Jayson

----

Hi Jayson,

The 120mm fan wall bracket is temperately out of stock. ETA is March 20. We'll ship once it is available. Sorry for the delay.

I just picked up a 4224 (my second norco case; first was a 4020), and the power/reset buttons do not work. I looked on their website, and can't find support/contact info anywhere! Does anyone know how I can get a hold of them to see if they will ship me a new button board?

Thanks,
Dave

Norco RPC-2212 is a new 2U case that uses three of the 4224 backplanes, their most recent design. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219040

rpc2212_3.jpg

rpc2212_4.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here before (and I apologize if it has been), apparently NORCO will release another version of the RPC-4224 with a USB port build into one of the front handle bars.
This revision should be available starting in June.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here before (and I apologize if it has been), apparently NORCO will release another version of the RPC-4224 with a USB port build into one of the front handle bars.
This revision should be available starting in June.

I already have a 4224 with a USB port on the front. It seems they sold some with the USB port, then changed the design to remove it. So, are you saying they are bringing it back in June?

@john4200: You have what you could call revision 1 which has that little box with the USB connector on the front top left corner and a long handle on the right with a short handle on the left below that little box. Then they changed the design to revision 2 and removed that little box with the USB connector and instead have the same handle on both sides with the power button flush behind the left handle. The next revision will apparently have the USB connector build right into the handle. So I guess they are changing the actual handle...

It would have been smart on Norcos part to actually state the different revisions on the shipping box or at least on a label but they apparently labeled both revisions (with and without that little USB box on the front) with just RPC-4224... so unless you look inside the box, you have no idea what version it actually is :(

anyone with a 4224 running ibm M1015 cards? what cable length would you suggest?
the Norco 50cm's look a tad too short for the rear ports

Last edited:
anyone with a 4224 running ibm M1015 cards? what cable length would you suggest?
the Norco 50cm's look a tad too short for the rear ports

Yes, 50cm is too short. I used Supermicro CBL-0281L, which is a 75cm SFF-8087 cable on both ends. You can get it from newegg, amazon, provantage, etc. For some reason, they all have the wrong picture. But that is definitely the right Supermicro part number, and I have ordered it several times myself.

Anyone know of a EU supplier of the norco 4224 chassis ?

The prices in the US are nice, but the postage is a bit hefty unfortunately.

Regarding the right-angle SFF-8087 cables: does anyone know of a good supplier? Did SoN][c ever disclose the manufacturer? I really need some cables with up, left, or right facing heads, ASAP.

Fairly new owner of a Norco RPC-4220 case here (it's awesome) but I wasn't prepared for how loud this sucker would be. Could someone suggest replacement fans (should I order the 120mm bracket?) for the fan bracket and the case rear? I've seen the silenx recommend for the the rear two 80mm fans but do they push enough air to cool 20 HDs (no graphics card, cool AMD proc)?

Last edited:
Fairly new owner of a Norco RPC-4220 case here (it's awesome) but I wasn't prepared for how loud this sucker would be. Could someone suggest replacement fans (should I order the 120mm bracket?) for the fan bracket and the case rear? I've seen the silenx recommend for the the rear two 80mm fans but do they push enough air to cool 20 HDs (no graphics card, cool AMD proc)?

I used a fan controller to slow my rear fans down to a much quieter level. My HDs are still at around 35C, which I consider to be acceptable.

Dave

[LYL]Homer;1037039129 said:

I noticed though that you only saw a decrease from 57dba to 50dba - that's still quite loud, I thought silenx fans were much quieter than the deltas.

I used a fan controller to slow my rear fans down to a much quieter level. My HDs are still at around 35C, which I consider to be acceptable.

Dave

Which fan controller, if i might ask?

Last edited:
Regarding the right-angle SFF-8087 cables: does anyone know of a good supplier? Did SoN][c ever disclose the manufacturer? I really need some cables with up, left, or right facing heads, ASAP.

I ordered mine from these guys and I'm very happy with what I got.

Only problem is I guess they got sick of dealing with small orders, because they've bumped the minimum quantity up to 100 cables.

Unless you can manage to get a group of people together and organise a combined buy, then you might be out of luck I'm afraid.

Of course your other option is to just contact them directly and see if they'll still be willing to do it for you.

I ordered mine from these guys and I'm very happy with what I got.

Only problem is I guess they got sick of dealing with small orders, because they've bumped the minimum quantity up to 100 cables.

Unless you can manage to get a group of people together and organise a combined buy, then you might be out of luck I'm afraid.

Of course your other option is to just contact them directly and see if they'll still be willing to do it for you.

Thanks for the followup.

I ended up solving my problem the hard way: starting with NORCO stock SFF-8087 straight cables, I made a 1/4-inch slit in the heatshrink closest to the base of the connector, until I exposed the red data and grey sideband cables. I doubled the heatshrink over itself and pushed it as flat as I could. I then slowly and carefully bent the internal cables at an angle, letting them curve rather than crease. I did this slowly, test-fitting the cable as I went. Once the connector was inserted, the strain on the cable was decreased as the bend radius was not as tight. I was able to connect the cable to either the backplane or to an expander installed in a PCI-e slot. Zero problems, and a very clean-looking solution (as opposed to cutting away at the fan partition using a dremel).

I'm still waiting on my 120mm-compatible fan-partition from iPCDIRECT. I heard they sold out of them. I'll report back when mine finally arrives.

I'm not a big fan of the DIY route when it comes to data cables, I'd rather just get the right parts even if it's some extra hassle & money.

What are the odds that if I ordered 102 right side angle cables I'd be able to get rid of them in a timely fashion? (It is a right angle I would need, right?). I don't have my case yet (or a 120mm bracket) so I can't check easily.

I don't mind fronting the $1400 if there is interest, but I don't want to be stuck with a ton of cables I can't get rid of.

Viper GTS

I'm still waiting on my 120mm-compatible fan-partition from iPCDIRECT. I heard they sold out of them. I'll report back when mine finally arrives.

I ordered mine back around end of Jan/first of Feb. Complained about two weeks later, was told they would arrive end of March, and then be shipped out. Received it in the mail yesterday. Ironically enough, it was wrapped in the cardboard from a box for an Addeso rackmount keyboard tray.

I ordered mine back around end of Jan/first of Feb. Complained about two weeks later, was told they would arrive end of March, and then be shipped out. Received it in the mail yesterday. Ironically enough, it was wrapped in the cardboard from a box for an Addeso rackmount keyboard tray.

Just got mine two days ago as well. (heck, I ordered back in January)

Mine was wrapped in a USB PCI expansion card box.

I just ordered the 120mm bracket TODAY, and got an email that it shipped TODAY, so they must have some still in stock. :)

I am really hoping my server rebuilt will be nearly silent, especially compared to the current setup.

Current: Supermicro 24bay chassis, with the redundant power supply.

New: Norco 24bay chassis, with 120mm fans (thinking about Noctuas maybe), slowed or replaced rear 80mm fans, and a traditional silent power supply.

The target is to not be able to hear it in the next room over (through one wall).

I am really hoping my server rebuilt will be nearly silent, especially compared to the current setup.

Current: Supermicro 24bay chassis, with the redundant power supply.

New: Norco 24bay chassis, with 120mm fans (thinking about Noctuas maybe), slowed or replaced rear 80mm fans, and a traditional silent power supply.

The target is to not be able to hear it in the next room over (through one wall).

I said Noctuas, but maybe Skythes since the Noctuas seem to miss the rpm wire.

I said Noctuas, but maybe Skythes since the Noctuas seem to miss the rpm wire.

Missing RPM wire is actually a big reason why the Delta fans are so loud, since Norco cuts them off the fans are aways running at nearly 5K RPM.

For those that can solder I recommend soldering a new RPM wire and letting your MB or whatever you have/use that can control fan speeds thermally. Those Delta fans are good fans and aren't any louder than most quieter fans when also running at sub 2K RPMs but will offer much higher RPM(CFM) if/when needed.

W/ that said I'm planning on putting some 90mm(80mm mount)x25mm PWM fans(rated at 4.4K RPM 80.4 CFM 40 DBA) in place of the 80mm fans as I'll be running all PWM(4 wire) fans, I also have 120mm fan wall in my case.

I received my 120mm Fan Partition for my 4224. I haven't installed it yet. I'm still deciding on the right fans to install.

I have a bunch of Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans, but I had planned on installing them in another system. I have a couple of spare Noctua NH-P12s as well. I still need to decide on exhaust fans as well. So many choices...

If it helps any, I bought the Scythe SFF21G "S-FLEX™" S-FDB. Rated for 35.0dBA at 75.0CFM (x3). I am going to hook them up to my motherboard for integrated fan-controller capabilities if the 35dBA each is too loud.

Even though they are $20 (I'm a cheap guy), they are rated for:

MTBF: 150,000 hours
* 150,000 hours of MTBF is measured under the 25C (77F) ambient temperature.
* MTBF of normal ball bearing Fan: 50,000 hours
* MTBF of normal sleeve bearing Fan: 20,000 hours

Never had an issue with my other fans that I have bought of this brand. Other fans have needed to be oiled occasionally or the bearings wore out too fast.

If it helps any, I bought the Scythe SFF21G "S-FLEX™" S-FDB. Rated for 35.0dBA at 75.0CFM (x3). I am going to hook them up to my motherboard for integrated fan-controller capabilities if the 35dBA each is too loud.

Even though they are $20 (I'm a cheap guy), they are rated for:

MTBF: 150,000 hours
* 150,000 hours of MTBF is measured under the 25C (77F) ambient temperature.
* MTBF of normal ball bearing Fan: 50,000 hours
* MTBF of normal sleeve bearing Fan: 20,000 hours

Never had an issue with my other fans that I have bought of this brand. Other fans have needed to be oiled occasionally or the bearings wore out too fast.

The Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15s are arguably the single best fans on the market because they can handle high static pressure, move tons of air per dBa noise, and are reasonably inexpensive at $16. They use a dual ball-bearing design. The only issue is finding them, as they are popular enough that they often sell out as soon as they are made available.

I've started using them in place of every other 120mm fan, be it on the chassis, heaksink, or a radiator. I've got a box full of them but not enough to cover the three my 4224 would need, as the others are intended for my primary gaming rig :) I could order more...

The Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15s are arguably the single best fans on the market because they can handle high static pressure,

What is the static pressure of those fans? I cannot find it in the specs on Scythe's web site.

Back