official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

New BIOS is out! 3.6 solved aloooooooooot a problems for me. Memory Bandwidth increased significantly and boot times are now much faster.

Sorry MellowDude, the link you clicked on had a little typo error. But here is the correct email address.
[email protected]

Also see if can also add some stess test results like prime95, Memtest86, or new SiSoftware 2005 Burn in Test. If you don't have these tools you can download if from my website download page from benchmarkhq link. If you don't have time right now then go ahead just send me what ever screen shots.

Thanks

yea i just flashed to 3.6 bios last night...im gonna have a stab at overclocking today to see if i cant take it any higher

2uantuM said:
New BIOS is out! 3.6 solved aloooooooooot a problems for me. Memory Bandwidth increased significantly and boot times are now much faster.
That is good to hear!

Went to bios 3.6, and reduced the amt of hardware in my system.

Now just running K8N Neo4 Plat SLI, 1 WD2500KS 250gb drive, BFG 6800GT OC, Antec Phantom 500, 2gb corsair value pc3200.

I just crashed after about 3hrs of BF2 (record without crashing).

No texture corruption or anything, and the screen just went black. After rebooting it would crash right before explorer launched. I would hear the HD click and it would just reboot again. After this happened once or twice, this popped up on the display:

wtf.jpg

I hard reset once more, and it booted up fine.

Still CPU/GPU/NB WC'd, CPU and GPU are running cool not sure how to check the NB temps, though. Even on a warm day like today, the CPU is at 40C load, and with rthdribl, the GPU roughly 48C and the GPU ambient peaks at 56C. The 6800GT is only GPU WC'd, but the BGA RAM has the stock heatpiped heatsinks.

In the event viewer, I do see one error: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D." Previously, I had experienced this when I had the second HDD in, but not with just the single HDD.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm considering picking up a silverstone 600w, since I have no other PSUs that are capable of powering my system ATM, but I hate trying to fix my problems by throwing more hardware at the system.

For shits/giggles I ran memtest for about 30 mins with 0 errors.

Thanks!
-mike

Quick question

New motherboard (same kind)
New video card (New kind, 6800GT. Still Nvidia)
Same Processer
Different Power Supply
Same ram etc.
Same hard drive with the old drivers from my old non rma'ed part computer

Will everything be fine when I boot up. No driver conflicts correct?

MikeDeuce said:
In the event viewer, I do see one error: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D." Previously, I had experienced this when I had the second HDD in, but not with just the single HDD.

Edit: Did a little more googling and found a slew of others with the same problems. Looks like it could be nvidia related: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=900&st=20

Maybe I should try those sil SATA ports instead.

Ghostface Killah said:
Quick question

New motherboard (same kind)
New video card (New kind, 6800GT. Still Nvidia)
Same Processer
Different Power Supply
Same ram etc.
Same hard drive with the old drivers from my old non rma'ed part computer

Will everything be fine when I boot up. No driver conflicts correct?
As long as you still don't have any hardware problems I don't see any reason for any driver conflicts. But different BIOS version, or your new Video card could cause some minor driver conflicts. Easy to fix thou, just uninstall the drivers and reinstall the ones causing issues. But 95% I don't think you should have any issues. Also did you take off your previous post of system specs I was trying to see which Video card you had before.

RISCmaster said:
As long as you still don't have any hardware problems I don't see any reason for any driver conflicts. But different BIOS version, or your new Video card could cause some minor driver conflicts. Easy to fix thou, just uninstall the drivers and reinstall the ones causing issues. But 95% I don't think you should have any issues. Also did you take off your previous post of system specs I was trying to see which Video card you had before.
Thanks

Old video card was a 6600gt. new one is 6800gt

Ghostface Killah said:
Thanks

Old video card was a 6600gt. new one is 6800gt
Since you have NVIDIA drivers for 6600gt, your system should recognize 6800gt on its first post into windows. But I would uninstall the NVIDIA Graphics drivers and reinstall again for proper installation.

** MELLOWDUDE'S MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI OVERCLOCK RESULTS **​

Thank you for sending you overclocking results with screen shots. I have posted it on my website, check it out under the Overclocking Results Button http://riscmaster.cybertechniquesinc.com/MSI_K8N_NEO4.html

You have been very helpful to me and I appreciate it, if you have any more suggestions to add anything (like important links etc. that would help others) to this Dedicated MSI K8N NEO4 website, please let me know.

So how many people here have an Antec PSU ATX V2.0 with there MSI K8N Neo4 Sli Platinum? Does it work well besides the sound? I bought a sound card so it should work right?

Thank you

i have the antec neopower and so far its been flawless...i also use a soundcard so i dunno if my onboard works or not...i suppose i can check sometime but im kinda lazy ;)

2uantuM said:

This may sound really stupid and i am a noob at this and had shit load of problems with this board but where do you get your bios updates from ive only just found 3.4

^^^ You can try using the live update utility (worked fine for me), or download and flash the old fashion way. The best place I've found updates is the global English site rather than the USA one.

vapo-CHILL said:
This may sound really stupid and i am a noob at this and had shit load of problems with this board but where do you get your bios updates from ive only just found 3.4

Here you go:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=641&kind=1

You can roll back to older bios's by using the Award WinFlash utility from within windows.

Just follow the instructions - http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/winFlash.html

You'll find the utility in the Live Update folder (If Installed) under Program Files, MSI, Live Update, ..........

Personally I'd only use Bios 3.0 (Rock Solid), Bios 3.1 (Still Prefer 3.0), or 3.6 (I'm using it now and it seems O.K)

Also have a read here if you haven't already - http://riscmaster.cybertechniquesin...I_K8N_NEO4.html

Good Luck!

MellowDude said:
Here you go:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=641&kind=1

You can roll back to older bios's by using the Award WinFlash utility from within windows.

Just follow the instructions - http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/winFlash.html

You'll find the utility in the Live Update folder (If Installed) under Program Files, MSI, Live Update, ..........

Personally I'd only use Bios 3.0 (Rock Solid), Bios 3.1 (Still Prefer 3.0), or 3.6 (I'm using it now and it seems O.K)

Also have a read here if you haven't already - http://riscmaster.cybertechniquesin...I_K8N_NEO4.html

Good Luck!

ok thanks for the info will try soon.

1 more thing and this has been happening from new cant clock past 210mhz in bios and boot sucessfully have tried all htt settings and lower cpu ratios also reducing memory frequency.

AMD 64 3700+ SAN DIEGO
VAPO-CHILL EXTREME
MSI K8N SLI
OCZ 3200 PLATINUM
NVIDIA 6800GT
EMEREX 600WATT PSU
CREATIVE AUDIGY 2

I'm getting this board in a couple of days(THE SLI version) and I have a few questions.
Does this board have a problem with all 4 dimms populated? They are all the same (Corsair XMS Pro), I only ask because a couple of review sites had boot issues with all 4 dimms populated.
And when overclocking are all the sata ports locked? I had the MSI neo2 Plat. and it would not lock Sata 1, and 2. And with the Neo2, to lock the AGP port you had to put it at 67mhz. I know the Neo4 is different than the Neo2, but I just wanted to clarify these things before I go overclock. Any other issues I should be I be aware of ?

And sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I don't have the time to read through 60+ pages in this thread.

vapo-CHILL said:
ok thanks for the info will try soon.

1 more thing and this has been happening from new cant clock past 210mhz in bios and boot sucessfully have tried all htt settings and lower cpu ratios also reducing memory frequency.
Go with BIOS 3.0, and you should be able to clock past not just 210 but insane speeds. I had the same problem with my Venice 3000+ but with BIOS 3.0 I can boot into Windows with 297MHz FSB @ 2677MHz. For complete details about how I achieved my overclocking results, Bios download, FAQ common issues visit my Dedicated MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI WEBSITE. http://riscmaster.cybertechniquesinc.com/MSI_K8N_NEO4.html

Roliath said:
I'm getting this board in a couple of days(THE SLI version) and I have a few questions.
Does this board have a problem with all 4 dimms populated? They are all the same (Corsair XMS Pro), I only ask because a couple of review sites had boot issues with all 4 dimms populated.
And when overclocking are all the sata ports locked? I had the MSI neo2 Plat. and it would not lock Sata 1, and 2. And with the Neo2, to lock the AGP port you had to put it at 67mhz. I know the Neo4 is different than the Neo2, but I just wanted to clarify these things before I go overclock. Any other issues I should be I be aware of ?

And sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I don't have the time to read through 60+ pages in this thread.
With BIOS 3.3 my MOBO did not boot with all 4 slots populated, so I am using only 2 slots right now with KINGSTON HyperX DDR500 PC4000. This mobo has lot of issues but still MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI is one of the best Motherboard in its class period. Hopefully you did not order Winchester Core CPU.

I understand you don't want to go through this whole thread, that's exactly why I made a Dedicated MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI website. If you still have any questions post it on this forum and I will be glad to help you. ;)

RISCmaster said:
With BIOS 3.3 my MOBO did not boot with all 4 slots populated, so I am using only 2 slots right now with KINGSTON HyperX DDR500 PC4000. This mobo has lot of issues but still MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI is one of the best Motherboard in its class period. Hopefully you did not order Winchester Core CPU.

I understand you don't want to go through this whole thread, that's exactly why I made a Dedicated MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI website. If you still have any questions post it on this forum and I will be glad to help you. ;)
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to boot everything up with my 1gig of Corsair XMS Pro (TCCD), and get everything installed and running. I just bought a 3700+ San Deigo from
scottfern on this site.
The MSI Neo4 SLI that I bought is a retail kit, so i'm not sure what BIOS revision is on it. What it be best to go ahead and flash it to 3.0 (I hear it's the best or something)?

As to my experience BIOS 3.0 is the best for Venice Core. Some have tried with Winchester Core but were not so lucky. Winchester core has lot of issues with MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI and other Motherboards. But I would definitely give 3.0 try with San Diego since a lot of issues were supposed to be fixed after the Winnie Core. Let me know what happens with SD and V3.0 so I can post it on my Dedicated MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI website. Also the new Bios 3.6 supposed to be good but I have not tried it yet.

RISCmaster, the 3.6 bios is out now "offically", try this as the majority of the issues are supposed to be resolved along with the best new core technology support.

As to the memory issue, it's related a lot to the CPU core as well as to the motherboard, since the memory controller is built into the core and not part of the nForce4 chipset. http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=84902.0 has some info. Essentially, earlier CPU cores (Winchester for example), would change to DDR333 instead of DDR400 when all four slots were populated. With the newest cores, it's still DDR400, but it changes from 1T to 2T when all four slots are populated.

There where some posting problems, but my motherboard has been rock solid for me now that I'm on BIOS rev 3.6 http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp should take you to a page where you can select the Platinum SLI BIOS.

As far as the SATA channels are concerned, these are all PCI-E, and the PCI-E is locked (unless you manually change it in the BIOS). I've overclocked and had no problems at all, all my drives are SATA so that should be a good indication (No IDE outside of the DVD-RW drive).

yea they are all locked..make sure the spu cpread spectrum is disabled to prevent from overclocking the PCI slots...and also, with the 3.6 bios ive had much more success gettin my CPU to higher speeds...HTT is at 250 with a 1:1 RAM divider and Ive been runnin stable ever since

Never mind,

I tried it and rolled back to 3.6. For one the bios doesn't address the 219MHz POST bug with the Winchester core, but more importantly in interfered with the proper operation of my USB ports (wouldn't recognize a pen drive).

After rolling back the USB is working correctly again.

I'd stay clear of this one.

Well that sucks for people who're having problems with X-Fi. I'm going have to keep a look-out on a good BIOS update if I'm going to buy MSI.

Ok i have a question how the hell you enable MSI Nforce Firewall which is built into this motherboard.

Install the nForce drivers and Windows will automatically detect the firewall, which is quite nice and simple to use, and honestly easier to tool on it's advanced features than the Cisco PIX I use at work.

So I have a strange problem with mine. The Silicon Imaging SATA controller will not detect Seagate Barracuda NCQ drives. I wish I could say if it could detect other drives, but I only have the Seagates. If I only connect one, it seems as though I still only run a chance, maybe 40%, of having it show up during the boot.

Furthermore, it eats a dick when I try to overclock past 220, and I mean badly; Windows sputters and bails the registry and noses so hard from there I can only recover by clean install--at lease when I'm running a mirrored OR striped RAID, on the nForce controller, obviously--but each of the components seems to work fine execpt in this mobo. Is this part of the overclock issues that the [H]ard|OCP addendum mentions? It doesn't go into enough detail.

*EDIT*. . ."219 Bug Club," no doubt.

And lastly, do you have to do something to make the second and third USB headers to operate? Nothing I can find seems to explain why nothing works connected to them. Is there a chance that they're somehow connected to the SiI controller, and the whole thing is shot?

Incidentally, I'm running a Winchester 3200 and the 2-2-2-5 Mushkin Blacks in dual-channel. Doesn't seem to make a difference if they're in the primary or secondary sets.

I really don't want to RMA the thing, but if that's where I'm at, at least I haven't restored after my last overclock attempt using the 3.6 BIOS revision.

Axman

hey guys, i've been thinking about getting this board, but i have one question:

does anyone have this board with the zalman vf700 installed on the video card...and if so, does it fit without blocking the second pci-e slot?

i basically need to be able to have two video cards with the vf700 coolers on them and also have one pci slot available for my audigy 4 card.

TIA

i did installed the nforce driver, but i don;t see how can i access the firewall.

It throws an icon in your whatsit, your "notification area", so it could be auto-hidden, but if it's not flagging traffic, I think you're right, it's not installed correctly. Now I don't remember, but it may require activation in the BIOS. I'd have a look at how it's set up for me but I just boxed it all up for RMA. As soon as it gets replaced, if we don't figure it out, I'll tell you how mine is set up ;p

Axman

annaconda said:
Thanx any body else can help in the mean time.

When I did it, it just asked me if I wanted to install the firewall when installing the network drivers. Is there a setup for it on your driver disk?

Back