official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

I've got the Zalman 7000cu and it fits fine, with access to all four slots, though with some contact (Mushkin Redline probably will cause some discomfort; might have to install before you stick the ram in) but it's not that important because you can always use the other pair for dual channel mode.

In theory, because my board isn't in the machine. The 4x512 ram question I'd like to see answered myself. There's that as an upgrade path that I'd like to know about.

Sparrow_69 said:
Can anyone answer these 2 questions:
Will the Zalman 7000alcu fit on this mobo without covering 2 ram slots?
Anyone running 4x512 in dual channel on this board?

zalman seems to think it fits fine...

http://www.zalmanusa.com/product/cooler/7000(AB)_754-939-940MBlist_eng.htm

RailGunRiz said:
Is this board better then the A8N-Sli models from ASUS?

i would say the msi is better for overclocking(especially because of the vcore issue on the premium, also the chipset fans tend to die on the deluxe), i personally got the asus for the extra space between the pci-e slots and the extra space for cpu coolers

also the heatpipe, makes it one less thing to replace

yeah - at current the Asus is the only AMD SLi board which has a two slot gap... good for peeps who want to put larger cooling apparatuses on their cards.

revenant said:
hey - nice system BTW - I am getting my sandie 3700 this week. w00t. what OC do you get on yours? or do you oc it?

I haven't yet.

Sparrow_69 said:
Can anyone answer these 2 questions:
Will the Zalman 7000alcu fit on this mobo without covering 2 ram slots?
Anyone running 4x512 in dual channel on this board?

Well, as you can see from my sig I run the Zalman 7700CU which is quite a bit larger than the 7000 and it fit's fine.

I had the 7000 in my MSI Neo2 Plat and that fit fine aswell but I gave that away and decided to get the 7700cu.

You can see from the following review the difference in size.

I'd go with the 7700CU if you are buying as it sit's above the ram modules and as it's 120mm you run it slower and achieve great cooling results.

http://www.digital-daily.com/cooling/zalman-7700cu/

I came across a mention that running 4x512 at full dual channel speeds was something that was better supported by the RevE cores, that the memory controller on the newer chips was what stabilized dual channel in both pairs. Anyone got anything solid on that?

Axman said:
I came across a mention that running 4x512 at full dual channel speeds was something that was better supported by the RevE cores, that the memory controller on the newer chips was what stabilized dual channel in both pairs. Anyone got anything solid on that?

I'd also like to find out about that. ???

Hey guys, just got this board, and having some O/Cing troubles.

Specs:
MSI K8N Neo4/SLI Platinum
2x512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200
AMD 64 Venice 3000+

On my old Asus A8N-E, I was able to reach 270x9, 4x HTT, 2-2-2-6 Memory Timings.

On this board right now, I'm having only luck getting past 230x9, 4x HTT, and 2-2-2-7 w/ a memory divider. I'm pumping 1.5V to the CPU, and my HSF is more than enough to handle the heat (as shown by my previous motherboard).

I am running the 3.6 (I think) BIOS.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Has msi released a new version of the board w/out the first versions problems?

Yoshmaista said:
Hey guys, just got this board, and having some O/Cing troubles.

Specs:
MSI K8N Neo4/SLI Platinum
2x512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200
AMD 64 Venice 3000+

On my old Asus A8N-E, I was able to reach 270x9, 4x HTT, 2-2-2-6 Memory Timings.

On this board right now, I'm having only luck getting past 230x9, 4x HTT, and 2-2-2-7 w/ a memory divider. I'm pumping 1.5V to the CPU, and my HSF is more than enough to handle the heat (as shown by my previous motherboard).

I am running the 3.6 (I think) BIOS.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

At 270x9 I'd suggest you run 3xHTT not 4.

Once you get passed 250x9 you need to drop from 4xHTT to 3xHTT.

Next I'd try your memory timings at 2.5-2-2-6 then 2-3-3-6 and lastly 3-4-4-8 and see what happens.

So I got my refurbished board back from Newegg.com a couple days ago, but it won't boot from a fixed disk. Doesn't matter what OS--I had several before I unplugged everything and even stuck on some new ones since--the only way I can get something running is out of a RAMdisk, like FreeDOS or Knoppix.

Some of the things that I've tried include using different busses, different drives, IDE and SATA, both the nForce controller and the SiI controller, nothing boots! I reset the BIOS, re-flashed the BIOS, tried underclocking, the other dual channel pair, one stick of memory, different memory--the fact that Knoppix runs well and continues to run even when I load the hell out of it worries me.

Having never encountered something like this previously, I'm stumpted and pretty pissed off. Sound like I have to RMA it once more?

Axman

Hello: All

I have recently purchased this setup.

AMD 3500+ Venice Core ( Air Cooling with a Thermaltake POLO heatsink and Fan) 4800 rpm Max is 5500 rpm.
K8N Neo4 Platinum Sli Motherboard
Sapphire PCI-E X850 PRO Stock settings is (506 - 520) ( Overclocked to 560 core 560 memory )
OCZ 520w Power Supply
OCZ PC4000 2x512MB REV 2 (DDR500 is stock settings) I am Running Dual Channel in Dimms 1 and 2 at DDR 431 (215mhz)
WD 120GB Sata II hard-drive
Running windows xp pro w/sp2 and updates.

Here is my Beef with AMD proceessors.

After many hours/days of adjusting the timings and voltages I happend to setup the system run at these specs below.

My specs right now....

Cpu speed 2373
Memory timings 2.5-3-3-8 (Stock Settings)
HTT 226 FSB
HT 4x
1T setting in bios
Multiplyer 10.5
DDR is at 431 (215mhz)
Vdimm is at 2.65v
Vcore is at 1.56v - 1.59v
NF4 is at 2.75v - 2.80v

The problem is after running many different timings and FSB it appears the memory controller sucks on AMD cpu's and only allowing you to run DDR 400 in Dual channel 2 sticks only.

If I ran 2.85 the rated Vdimm I would get an error in memtest86+ v1.60 in test 7.

I had to lower the voltage to run no errors.

Just a tip for you New Guys.

I only ran test 7 on purpose after this as it was the only test that should the error.

For many hours and pulling my hair out I am almost bald now...LOL, But after running memtest for almost 2 hours only running test 7 I had not got any error.

I have been running prime95 for about 4 hours right now since 12pm EST it is now around 4pm EST at the time of typing this with out any errors so far.

Here is some test results I have got so far in certain gaming benchmarks.

Aquamark3 score of 73,531 overall score
Cpu scored 10,896
GPU scored 11,097

3Dmark 2005

I can play Splinter Cell Pandora Tommorow NP's and should be able to play many games as well with out any glitches.

Overall the system can be pushed higher on the CPU and video card, with adjust voltages, timings and clock speeds, but so far I am happy with this setup.

My questions to you all is........

I can't seem to find anywhere else except me of course running this memory on this type of a setup and I can not find any other scores to compare too in my video card and system setup.

Does anyone know where is a good place to find such scores etc.?

Next:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to set this setup to in order to Hit 2.5 - 2.7ghz Stable not errors etc.?

Thks

Mop

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400
I bought this memory for my MB and at boot it says it's running at 333 and not 400MHZ..
I dont know how to change it..Any input to fix this problem would be great..thnkas in advance
darkside..

Darkside said:
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400
I bought this memory for my MB and at boot it says it's running at 333 and not 400MHZ..
I dont know how to change it..Any input to fix this problem would be great..thnkas in advance
darkside..

Look in bios under Cell Core and you will see it set to auto at the top. If not then soemone has changed to manual.

Either way manual is what you would like, as then you will be able to set the DDR to 200 instead of...166.... You may also want to adjust your timings manually, but before you do this download a program called CPUZ version 1.30 and look at the memory not SPD and see if timings are the proper spec for your modules.

Also if your overclocking you may or may not be able to boot a DDR400.... trial and error is all I can say.

Ok i don;t know whats going on but i need help.

I don;t hear voice from rear speakers, i have a setup of 5.1 Bose speakers and they have been working fine until i got this Motherboard.

When you go into the audio setup and check to see you are getting audio in all of the speakers and they are connected correctly you hear audio from all speakers like it says rear left & rear right and all other speakers.

But when you play a movie there is no sound from rear speakers, i checked all the wires and every thing, i mean how come when you the lady speaks you hear audio from rear speakers like she says rear left & right and when you play movie you don;t get any audio from rear speakers.

I am starting to hate this motherboard.

What, if any, software do you use to configure your sound out? If you're using the SB software, try using the Windows default utility, using just the drivers. If you're using Windows defaults, try setting up the SoundBlaster tools. Also the ever-present, have you tried using newer or older drivers?

What happens when you watch a movie using a different media player, e.g., Windows Media Player, Winamp, Quicktime, Media Player Classic, DIVX Player or Nero Media Player?

Your firewall work? It's a checkbox when you're installing the nForce package, but I think you got that already.

a

Yeah my firewall works now, i had to install it manually from the driver folder.

I tried Creative player, PowerDVD 6 Deluxe, Windows Media Player, Divx even i checked the windows audio settings every thing is fine.

Like i said when you try to check that from creative setup that sound is coming from all speakers, and Yes it comes when a lady says left rear and right rear, but no sound in Movies.
I have a Sony Reciever with Bose Accoustic 15, which is 5.1 channel surround sound speakers, like i said all the same setup has been working fine over the years since i got this Motherboard.

But thanx for replying i will check more, and let you guys know.

Mop said:
Look in bios under Cell Core and you will see it set to auto at the top. If not then soemone has changed to manual.

Either way manual is what you would like, as then you will be able to set the DDR to 200 instead of...166.... You may also want to adjust your timings manually, but before you do this download a program called CPUZ version 1.30 and look at the memory not SPD and see if timings are the proper spec for your modules.

Also if your overclocking you may or may not be able to boot a DDR400.... trial and error is all I can say.

thanks for the infomation..still doing some reading..if anybody else has some input..I'm thankful for it :D

Mop said:

Mop....also what would be the right timings for this memory ?? :confused:

annaconda said:
Yeah my firewall works now, i had to install it manually from the driver folder.

I tried Creative player, PowerDVD 6 Deluxe, Windows Media Player, Divx even i checked the windows audio settings every thing is fine.

Like i said when you try to check that from creative setup that sound is coming from all speakers, and Yes it comes when a lady says left rear and right rear, but no sound in Movies.
I have a Sony Reciever with Bose Accoustic 15, which is 5.1 channel surround sound speakers, like i said all the same setup has been working fine over the years since i got this Motherboard.

But thanx for replying i will check more, and let you guys know.

Can you go and launch the Creative EAX Console and select the CMSS 3D tab and ensure that CMSS 3D is definately checked and also select the stereo surround option.

http://atlas.csbnet.se/livecenter/showpage.php?id=47&page=6

Close out of the console and try the DVD again and let me know if it helps at all.

Darkside said:

Safe Timings = 2.5-3-3-7 @ 2.75v

Aggressive = 2-2-2-5 (If your lucky) @ 2.75v+

Here's what I set mine at -

BIOS SETTING

DRAM Configuration - Manual
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency - 302
HT Frequency - 3x
HT Width - 16 16
Cool 'n' Quiet - Disabled
Adjust CPU Ratio - 9x
Adjust CPU VID - 1.475v
Extra CPU Voltage - 5%
Memory Voltage - 2.85v
NF4 Voltage - 1.65v

DRAM Configuration
Timing Mode - Manual
MEMClock Index Value - 166
TCL - 3
TRAS - 8
TRCD - 4
TRP - 4
User Config Mode - Manual
1T/2T Memory Timing - 1T

I can drop my timings a little but it's rock solid and stable where things are, never had a lockup or issue for months.

SiSoftware Sandra 2005

Ram Bandwidth Int Buff'd iSSE2 = 7146 MB/s
Ram Bandwidth Float Buff'd iSSE2 = 7035 MB/s

Dhrystone ALU 12520 MIPS
Whetstone FPU/iSSE2 4363/5621 MFLOPS

Darkside said:

I am not sure what they are, but you can look at corsairs website to see what the listed specs should be

OR

There maybe on the modules.
The timings maybe listed on the module white stickers.

What does the Platinum version have that the plain K8N NEO4 doesn't? Also is anybody using this mobo with the G.skill Extreme 2GB PC4000 dual channel memory?

Doesn't CPU-Z tell you what your stock timings are?

I'd suggest taking a stick of ram out and post all the information that you can see on the sticker that's normally stuck on the side of the module.

Should be one of these -

VS1GBKIT400 = 2.5-3-3-8 (Better)

VVS1GBKITC3 = 3-4-4-8 (Worse than above)

1T timings at 2.5 Volts with a maximum warrented voltage of 2.75v.

MellowDude said:
Can you go and launch the Creative EAX Console and select the CMSS 3D tab and ensure that CMSS 3D is definately checked and also select the stereo surround option.

http://atlas.csbnet.se/livecenter/showpage.php?id=47&page=6

Close out of the console and try the DVD again and let me know if it helps at all.

First of all i wanna thank you very much for spending your valuable time to find some thing for me i will definately check it tonight and let you know by tommorrow.

Edit: I checked last night it worked when i clicked the CMSS3D the rear speakers start working, and in stereo mode the sound is clear, but then there is always a problem

After enabling this option, my computer just hangs up in the middle of the song, with a sound like gan gan gan gan looks like there is a problem with my Creative chip.

But i did not understand why it is not working in regular 5.1 channel. I recently RMA this Motherboard because there was a problem with PCI Express slot.

Not this problem, it is not working with my ACCESSDTV HDTV PCI card also.

Damn this Motherboard. I was a fan of MSI upto NEO PLatinum, but this Motherboard making me change the company.

i'm using the sound blaster drivers that came with the motherbord. I tried ones newer from the creative.com site but they seem not to recognise my integrated card.....does anyone uses other newer driver?....where can i download?

PD: this motherbord is excellent despite my winnie, i'm very happy with it

PD2: sorry for my english.....i'm chilean :rolleyes:

annaconda said:
First of all i wanna thank you very much for spending your valuable time to find some thing for me i will definately check it tonight and let you know by tommorrow.

Edit: I checked last night it worked when i clicked the CMSS3D the rear speakers start working, and in stereo mode the sound is clear, but then there is always a problem

After enabling this option, my computer just hangs up in the middle of the song, with a sound like gan gan gan gan looks like there is a problem with my Creative chip.

But i did not understand why it is not working in regular 5.1 channel. I recently RMA this Motherboard because there was a problem with PCI Express slot.

Not this problem, it is not working with my ACCESSDTV HDTV PCI card also.

Damn this Motherboard. I was a fan of MSI upto NEO PLatinum, but this Motherboard making me change the company.

Just out of interest can you post your O/C settings from your bios,

DRAM Configuration = ?
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = ?
HT Frequency = ?
HT Width = ?
Cool 'n' Quiet = ?
Adjust CPU Ratio = ?
Adjust CPU VID = ?
Extra CPU Voltage = ?
Memory Voltage = ?
NF4 Voltage = ?

DRAM Configuration
Timing Mode = ?
MEMClock Index Value = ?
TCL = ?
TRAS = ?
TRCD = ?
TRP = ?
User Config Mode = ?
1T/2T Memory Timing = ?

Also, have you got the latest chipset drivers from here - http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.66.html

and the latest creative drivers from www.creative.com

( Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit and Sound Blaster Audigy LS driver 1.04.0055 (11.91 MB) 1 Aug 05 ) and ( Creative Basic Audio Suite for Creative Sound Blaster audio devices (35.59 MB) 15 Jun 05 )

Features:

Provides the following control options for your Sound Blaster audio device:

Output audio quality
SPDIF Input/Output sampling rate
Decoder
Speaker configuration
Sound effects
Creative MultiSpeaker Surround

I've gotten around to really stressing the hell out of my hardware to get a tight and stable overclock. Not overly complex, I've got my ram at 2.5-3-3 and HTT at 260 running 1:1, with an elegant 600mhz overclock on a 3200 Winchester.

What I've run into are undervoltage problems. I have to stick my ram at 2.85 volts (it's actually stable at 2.8, but I don't want to risk instability) and my CPU to maximum, 1.594 volts to read at boot at 1.488-1.520 volts. In fact, when I'm not overclocking, my CPU runs at 1.298-1.32 volts, or thereabouts. Granted, my PSU isn't that great, ($50 Antec TruePower) but undervoltage and fluctuation, is this within normal? How fucked am I if it's abnormal? Finally, what are the chances that it's the motherboard that's not regulating voltage well enough?

A

well i just pick one up today with a 3800+ X2 i know the CPU has 2.5 in her but the mobo just doesnt seem to what to play along are the SATA channels locked?

at 2.5 it gets to the windows loading screen and the bar just keeps going forever or till reset it
any ideas?

oddly that same exact thing happened to me... let the board run for a day or so, after that start small and run it a few hours... the cpu or the board need to get broken in heatwise it seems... then when you get the load screen give it time, after initial OC the screen keeps going for a bit then finally loads.. after the intial load the boot up is disturbling fast. check the post above at the other thread for timings and voltage... try following that course as t resulted somewhat decent results for me. Still looking to go higher though

this is odd i cant get the bios to hold 220 >.> it says the cpu is at 2.2 in bios but windows says its 2.01 :confused:

any ideas?

edit bios is 2.6 i have yet to flash it the newest one would that help?

ok flashed but havent tryed to OC yet im starting to think the board is bad
i just tryed to run CPU-z and it kill the system + a realy bad noise from the sound card
any ideas? :confused:

dummy here screws up pc and now not sure how to handle problem.

rundown of events:

1. set up raid 0 & everything worked like a champ

2. bought hard drive coolers and in process of moving drives, snapped sata connector on back of one of the drives

3. got replacement drive and am trying to reinstall windows

4. deleted raid setup and recreated it (raid 0) and cleared data. shows as healthy

problems:

1. cant load raid controller driver during windows load - get error

2. get blue screen about drives needing fdisk

can anyone suggest a possible course of action? thanks.

funkyfresh said:
dummy here screws up pc and now not sure how to handle problem.

rundown of events:

1. set up raid 0 & everything worked like a champ

2. bought hard drive coolers and in process of moving drives, snapped sata connector on back of one of the drives

3. got replacement drive and am trying to reinstall windows

4. deleted raid setup and recreated it (raid 0) and cleared data. shows as healthy

problems:

1. cant load raid controller driver during windows load - get error

2. get blue screen about drives needing fdisk

can anyone suggest a possible course of action? thanks.

theres a driver disk that comes with the mobo use that and tell windows that you need a custom raid driver at install that should do it

and in other news im slowly learning the qurks of this mobo and WOW its picky about HTT speed

when windows prompts for the raid drives (f6) and i attempt to load them, the loading fails with an error. i was able to load them before and am wondering if the prior raid install is messing with the installation.

Make sure you're using the nVidia floppy, G72-NVSA041, not the Silicon Imaging one.

Would you like to be emailed a copy of the disks? You can try someone else's; floppies a pretty easy to damage and yours might be. Also, test your floppy drive, and unplug its cables and plug them back in to rule out bad connectivity. That goes for the hard drives, too, if you think that might help.

When you're POSTing, make sure that your RAID controller is configured and your RAID is healthy.

Another thing you can try if all you're interested in is RAID 0 -OR- 1, but not 0+1 is to put your drives on the Sil 3132 SATA ports (the two between the USB and Firewire headers) and use the G72-SILR020 drivers. I'm pretty sure the default setting for the Silicon Imaging SATA connectors is "disabled", so make sure to go into your "Integrated Peripherals" menu, turn on the Silicon Imaging controller, and set the second option from "SATA" to "RAID".

funkyfresh said:
when windows prompts for the raid drives (f6) and i attempt to load them, the loading fails with an error. i was able to load them before and am wondering if the prior raid install is messing with the installation.

Axman

hi axman

if you wouldnt mind emailing me the files on the disk, that would be fantastic. i considered that the floppy might be corrupted, but all the files showed on another pc. i feel i'm wandering through this forest blind.

thanks again for the reply.

[email protected].

if that doesn't work, i think i'll take your suggestion and roll with the silicon sata controller.

do you think there might be an issue if one of the drives im using was part of the prior raid 0 setup? i used the nvidia raid setup to "clear" the disks, but am not sure if that just clears the raid info or the actual data.

i wouldn't think that would be a problem. windows needs to partition the disks anyway.

Back