Official Lian Li PC-V300 Discussion Thread

Ray-zor said:
With regards to the silver drive cage shining trough the grill front.... how do you suppose they took this picture?
xoxide_1902_89433290

http://www.xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-v300b-black.html

Maybe the drive cage and fan holders are removed? Or is it another revision. Or maybe paint(shop) was used?

That was the first thing I noticed about the case when I opened up the package last night. The grill cover holes are larger than they appear in these pictures, so you can see through the front of the case more than it seems by looking at these pictures. This is unfortunate in my mind, as I was hoping to have more of a "blacked out" appearance. That being said, with the chrome wrapped feet (that don't really show up in this pic), it still looks more like a piece of sterero equipment than it does a computer, which is the look I was going for. We'll see how everything looks when the components are inside.

andyatkinson said:
That was the first thing I noticed about the case when I opened up the package last night. The grill cover holes are larger than they appear in these pictures, so you can see through the front of the case more than it seems by looking at these pictures. This is unfortunate in my mind, as I was hoping to have more of a "blacked out" appearance. That being said, with the chrome wrapped feet (that don't really show up in this pic), it still looks more like a piece of sterero equipment than it does a computer, which is the look I was going for. We'll see how everything looks when the components are inside.

you're right, I compared this one to dworley's v300 and they're different. I believe this is not a retail version becaues the holes are more close together thus making it harder for you to see whats behind the mesh, and the feet are not chrome wrapped, the lian-li logo is removed the usb port has been painted all black even the innards as are the power and reset buttons. I do like this one better than the retail, I wonder if it has been photo shopped or its a preproduction model.

Neo_Granzon said:
An update to my other post regarding the rear HD bay problem I was having. It seems the screws provided with the case are not long enough.

I compared the size to the HD screws from my Lian-Li PC-v800 case. The screws from the v800 are around 1 millimeter longer. This was the reason my HD got stuck on my first attempt to install. I tried three different hard drives and a floppy with the original screws and not one would properly fit. When I tried the v800 screws all three drives installed correctly.
If you lay out all the drive mounting screws provided with the case you will see that it ships with 2 different sizes (lengths are different). One is for optical drive mounting and the other is for HDD mounting. If you are having a hard time getting your HDD/s to slide in...you picked the wrong length.

As for the issue with longer video cards, the problem is that the design cycle of a case for a company the size of Lian-Li is likely rather long as they have very involved value line manufacturing, focus groups, et al. I imagine when they began work on the V300 there were no cards over 8 inches (which is the spec by the way). Issues with the relativly massive/long 2 slot uber cards we have right now are not limited to case makers. Companies like ASUS, Abit etc have little issues as well. Things like the longer than spec cards partially blocking memory slot locking tabs, difficult to reach CMOS reset jumpers etc.

If your Lian-Li and your half way through a dev cycle and you have invested a lot of $$$ and cards longer than spec hit the market, you are pretty much locked in. This case is selling for easily a hundred dollars less than it could for a reason, and I suspect thats it. Those that have to have a 9 inch long card and can't do a relativly simple mod to accomade the card simply need to look elsewhere. This is a very high quality case that features a sliding motherboard tray, slide in HDD's, large fans with a decent to great airflow design that cools well (check out Lian-Li's site for an animated diagram that shows the cooling) all wrapped in a very distinct, clean looking case for $94 USD--from a company with a 10 year history of building the highest quality of cases. Is it the absolute best case for the extreme SFF user? Nope. But pound for pound, dollar for dollar it is an exceptional value for anyone using an 8" card, or a modder.

I was wondering if any one that already owns one of these could take some measurements for me. 1) distance from inside front grill to edge of motherboard tray (not the fan mount bracket but the actual front), 2) distance from inside bottom straight up to the bottom of the first 5.25" bay(basically where the bottom of a cdrom would be), 3) the distance left to right in the space infront of the motherboard tray, and 4) with an oversized videocard the distance from the inside grill to the rear edge of the card. A simple A x B x C dimensions plus the videocard measurement will do nicely. This is where I will most likely be putting a radiator if I buy this case. Thanks ahead for whoever takes the time to do this!

MrSlacker said:
As for the issue with longer video cards, the problem is that the design cycle of a case for a company the size of Lian-Li is likely rather long as they have very involved value line manufacturing, focus groups, et al. I imagine when they began work on the V300 there were no cards over 8 inches (which is the spec by the way). Issues with the relativly massive/long 2 slot uber cards we have right now are not limited to case makers. Companies like ASUS, Abit etc have little issues as well. Things like the longer than spec cards partially blocking memory slot locking tabs, difficult to reach CMOS reset jumpers etc.

If your Lian-Li and your half way through a dev cycle and you have invested a lot of $$$ and cards longer than spec hit the market, you are pretty much locked in. This case is selling for easily a hundred dollars less than it could for a reason, and I suspect thats it. Those that have to have a 9 inch long card and can't do a relativly simple mod to accomade the card simply need to look elsewhere. This is a very high quality case that features a sliding motherboard tray, slide in HDD's, large fans with a decent to great airflow design that cools well (check out Lian-Li's site for an animated diagram that shows the cooling) all wrapped in a very distinct, clean looking case for $94 USD--from a company with a 10 year history of building the highest quality of cases. Is it the absolute best case for the extreme SFF user? Nope. But pound for pound, dollar for dollar it is an exceptional value for anyone using an 8" card, or a modder.

Correct me if I am wrong here but the 7800GTX has been out for well over a year and is as long as the newer 7900GTX and X1900XT = big oversight on Lian-Li's part!
:mad:

If they got rid of the 3 1/2 bay or made it detacheable internally the 7900GTX / X1900XT would fit!

MrSlacker said:
I doubt you could charge more since the 9" doesn't work. These Asian companies make a killing on mark up :p

dworley said:
Correct me if I am wrong here but the 7800GTX has been out for well over a year and is as long as the newer 7900GTX and X1900XT = big oversight on Lian-Li's part!
:mad:

If they got rid of the 3 1/2 bay or made it detacheable internally the 7900GTX / X1900XT would fit!

yeah, it was a big oversight and I don't see video cards getting smaller (sadly)

vid card companies should imitate cpu makes in making them smaller and more efficient and draw less power but yet make them more powerful.

Outrigger said:
vid card companies should imitate cpu makes in making them smaller and more efficient and draw less power but yet make them more powerful.
yeah... sadly, video cards are only 1 for 4 out of that list.

I have my case.

Very pleased with it.

Oddles of space to put a dual rad at the front if you modify the caddy.

Excellent Build

Looks fantastic.

Side panels are sheets of alu, so i can get mine custom made, just have to make sure the screwholes are in the right place.

Will get pictures up soon.

Nixeh said:
I have my case.

Very pleased with it.

Oddles of space to put a dual rad at the front if you modify the caddy.

Excellent Build

Looks fantastic.

Side panels are sheets of alu, so i can get mine custom made, just have to make sure the screwholes are in the right place.

Will get pictures up soon.

Sounds good, can't wait for your review. I think this case very modable.

For the case owners out there, tell me if these simple mod im planning to do will work:

Since I'm gonna be using just one big HD in the 3.5 bay, im thinking of mounting the PSU on the hard drive cage located in the back (removing the cage of course) and install a 120mm fan at the original PSU location. By doing these, I could use a bigger CPU HSF like the Zalman 9500 and also increase the exhaust flow. The PSU in turn can cool off the VGA card since its located above it. So what do you guys think, will it work?

spade357 said:
For the case owners out there, tell me if these simple mod im planning to do will work:

Since I'm gonna be using just one big HD in the 3.5 bay, im thinking of mounting the PSU on the hard drive cage located in the back (removing the cage of course) and install a 120mm fan at the original PSU location. By doing these, I could use a bigger CPU HSF like the Zalman 9500 and also increase the exhaust flow. The PSU in turn can cool off the VGA card since its located above it. So what do you guys think, will it work?

being the expansion cards are taller, you won't have enough clearance to put a psu above the cards. just take a look at the back of the case.

andyatkinson said:
Just posted! Review of PC-V300 case and construction at Pain in the Tech. PC-V300 review I opted for a Flickr flash slideshow to show the assembly pictures.
Added to the list and posted on my site :p

spade357 said:

I dont think there is enough space to fit a PSU.

A few questions from a prospective buyer. This will be an HTPC so not very powerful. How is the noise? I'll be using a 3500 proc. with on-board video, The only fan is on the proc.

As one user said, do the hard-drives vibrate? I notice they aren't using rubber gaskets like my PC-6077 tower.

Has anyone used one of their CD/DVD bezels with this case? Will it work?

i don't notice any vibration from the hdd i have, make sure u use the right screws. The stock fans are rather quiet in my opinion but my room is loud anyways. The cd bezel will NOT work w/o moddin it. I ordered one and am still thinking of a good way to mod it to work.

Anybody just try old school CD stealthing where you just velcro the front face plate to the cd tray? Its old school but it just might work.

I'm too lazy to make a post with all my pics of the worklog in the case modding thread. Well anyway, here is a link to my hosting account with all my pics. They are in chronological order at the moment and dont really need any explanation. I still need to take pics of the inside with everything all wired up but ill do that tomorrow. Anyway, here is a teaser

DSCN0295.JPG

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gouldmab/v300/

A fellow VT man...are you in Blacksburg right now? I do all the soundtesting for my website at VT ..and I work there!

neogenesis2004 said:
Ya, I'm here during the summer right now. What do you do on campus?

I work in the Controllers Office...that would be the office that does the accounting for the university

sounds awefully boring to me :( I'm going for a CPE degree though (computer engineering). Taking summer classes to catch up with my lighter work load during the regualr semesters.

I'm not new to small form factors as I was a proud owner of a Biostar iDeq 200v. I would still be using it today had the motherboard had not fried.

I haven't been able to keep up with any computers over the last nine months because I was doing all my inital-entry training for the Army. So I was amazed last week when I saw this case. It is an SFF case priced as much as an entry-level Lian Li mid-size tower.

I knew from the moment I saw it that I would build my next computer using this case. Small form factors are a true addiction.

I do have a few questions if anybody has the answers. I welcome pictures to express or compliment the responses. :) Also, I am not experienced with case modding, but I am willing to try new things.

I would not be using the external 3.5" drive and possibly the second external 5.25" drive. How much work is involved in removing the cage entirely for later modding?

Does anybody have pictures of a complete setup with water cooling? Can you still remove the motherboard tray without having to undo the entire system?

And I'm getting incredibly tired so I'll think of everything else tomorrow.

neogenesis2004 said:
sounds awefully boring to me :( I'm going for a CPE degree though (computer engineering). Taking summer classes to catch up with my lighter work load during the regualr semesters.

haha, accounting is an acquired taste for sure. I better to get work though... I'm late!

I did a simple mod above the hdds to make them cooler. they were hitting up to 55c b4 this and now won't go above 34c. Im happy w/it. need to touch up the molding a bit tho.

DSCF0946.jpg

Anyone know where i can get the Black Ice GTS 240 Radiator so i can carry on with my V300 mod?

Well if it hasn't been confirmed elsewhere in this thread the BFG 7800GT OC cards will not fit witrhout modification to the floppy/CDROM bracket. Also getting the SLI connector on was a bitch but can be done without modding the HD carrier.

I'm seriously looking at drilling out all the rivets so I can do a clean mod of the floppy bracket and replacing said rivets with the swaged in threaded fasteners used elsewhere in this case. If I go that far I will probabl;y get the remaining silver parts anodized black to match the exterior and get a new side panel made.

-G

Gowking said:
Well if it hasn't been confirmed elsewhere in this thread the BFG 7800GT OC cards will not fit witrhout modification to the floppy/CDROM bracket. Also getting the SLI connector on was a bitch but can be done without modding the HD carrier.

I'm seriously looking at drilling out all the rivets so I can do a clean mod of the floppy bracket and replacing said rivets with the swaged in threaded fasteners used elsewhere in this case. If I go that far I will probabl;y get the remaining silver parts anodized black to match the exterior and get a new side panel made.

-G

What size rivets would you put in place and where would to go to get the silver parts anodized black/new side panel?

I haven't checked the size but I'm sure they would be metric. As for the anodizing and side panel I plan on going to a local sheet metal fabricator and then to a metal finisher for the anodizing.

-G

I would like to inform people that if getting this case, beware of having modular PSU's.

I swapped my system over before i head of to a lan in holland in a couple of days time, and realised that my Hiper Modular PSU doesnt fit due to the long inflexible connectors.

I am soon buying a Seasonic s12 600w to see if that fits.

Nixeh said:
I would like to inform people that if getting this case, beware of having modular PSU's.

I swapped my system over before i head of to a lan in holland in a couple of days time, and realised that my Hiper Modular PSU doesnt fit due to the long inflexible connectors.

I am soon buying a Seasonic s12 600w to see if that fits.

So the Hiper Modular PSUs don't fit, but as noted above the Enermax Liberty 400w does. Any other modulars that fit?

Will MSI GeForce 7600 GS fit into this? I'm guessing yes, since this isn't really a high end graphics card but I've have been unable to find out the size.

Also will it fit most (all) standard ATX non modular PSU's and DVD-burners, or do I need to get some particular combo?

Basicly, what I'm asking is if this PSU and this DVD burner will fit in with no problems.

Back