Official Lian Li PC-V300 Discussion Thread

To bad they left the inside (such as the drive bays) silver/white. The way it shows through the grill is way to obtrusive. I think I would go for the silver one just for that. Or maybe a paintjob is an easy solution...
Can't wait to hear your experiences though :)

Ray-zor said:
To bad they left the inside (such as the drive bays) silver/white. The way it shows through the grill is way to obtrusive. I think I would go for the silver one just for that. Or maybe a paintjob is an easy solution...
Can't wait to hear your experiences though :)
Everything is black. If you clicked on his pics, you can see that it is just sun light from the window.

are you sure? it looks all silver behind the mesh like the silver strip in the middle of the mesh.

I am sorry, I misunderstood the comment. I thought you meant the 5.25" covers are silver... lol But yes, the inside of it is silver, just like any other case out there thats black on the outside, but silver on the inside..

(lol that sounded kinda weird)

This might have been asked or in the review...but is the front grill aluminum or plastic?

Neo, hows the build? So is possible to add a 80mm fan behind the hard disks cage without modding? Thanks.

spade357 said:
Neo, hows the build? So is possible to add a 80mm fan behind the hard disks cage without modding? Thanks.
This has been asked on different board and here is the answer
Well, adding one inside would be a challence, but doable...would require the removal of some of the Optical drive cage. One could be mounted to the outside of the case at the rear, over the hatch, with little effort--drilling 4 holes. Other than that, as you can imagine space is limited...
(for reference http://www.boxgods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357)

Spade, I had a bit of trouble with two stripped screws on the right case cover. The hard drive bay was also kind of a pain, but that was due to using bigger screws previously on my drive. Though I did not have the same problem with the same bays on my PC-800 case.

Oh well, I'll just have to get used to this case.

Lian-Li V300B install Pics:

This thing is a real BITCH to work on - hardly any room inside and every sub assembly is riveted in place so it does not come apart at all. :mad:

I dremelled the optical drive cage to fit my SLI 7900GTX cards, however the SLI Bridge connector will not fit without additional mods to the hard drive cage. To save time I left out the optical drive and only used a single 7900GTX for now just to test it out.

After eyeballing the space between the CPU and PSU - I may be able to fit a Silverstone NT06 CPU cooler with my slim Nexus 120mm fan but it's going to be very tight! :eek:

I tried looking through the thread, but the 7900GT does not fit right out the box? Has anyone tried installing one in this case? It looks so nice.

dworley said:
Lian-Li V300B install Pics:

This thing is a real BITCH to work on - hardly any room inside and every sub assembly is riveted in place so it does not come apart at all. :mad:

I dremelled the optical drive cage to fit my SLI 7900GTX cards, however the SLI Bridge connector will not fit without additional mods to the hard drive cage. To save time I left out the optical drive and only used a single 7900GTX for now just to test it out.

After eyeballing the space between the CPU and PSU - I may be able to fit a Silverstone NT06 CPU cooler with my slim Nexus 120mm fan but it's going to be very tight! :eek:

So would you recommend the case for a non hardcore people (no overclock,sli,high-end CPU) like me? Without testing the temp, do you think this case has a better air flow and noise than the SG01?

spade357 said:
So would you recommend the case for a non hardcore people (no overclock,sli,high-end CPU) like me? Without testing the temp, do you think this case has a better air flow and noise than the SG01?

I don't have the 300 but judging from the looks of it, I would say it should be slightly better being that it uses the same psu directly on top of the heatsink pulling air upwards and the case being a bit bigger, so more airflow, but I don't see what is cooling the hard drives though.

Outrigger said:
I don't have the 300 but judging from the looks of it, I would say it should be slightly better being that it uses the same psu directly on top of the heatsink pulling air upwards and the case being a bit bigger, so more airflow, but I don't see what is cooling the hard drives though.

I would assume it'll have a much better air flow than the SG01 since it has 2 intake fans in the front. As far as cooling the hard drives, adding an 80mm fan in the back is simply enough for anyone to do to cool them down. Also, it looks like you could fit the NT06 with a fan blowing up through the PSU judging from dworley's pics.

spade357 said:

Based on my initial results - the V300B cools slightly better at load than the SG01 when I tested with the Blue ORBII CPU cooler (54C vs 51C) and similar components. My assumption is that the dual front fans are providing better airflow.

Depending on what fans you choose, either system can be very quiet - my results show only 1-2db difference in favor of the SG01, which based on a small percentage margin of error for my testing environment - it is a draw.

dworley said:
Based on my initial results - the V300B cools slightly better at load than the SG01 when I tested with the Blue ORBII CPU cooler (54C vs 51C) and similar components. My assumption is that the dual front fans are providing better airflow.

Depending on what fans you choose, either system can be very quiet - my results show only 1-2db difference in favor of the SG01, which based on a small percentage margin of error for my testing environment - it is a draw.

I'm surprised at the neglible difference is quietness. the v300 doesn't have any vent holes on the side like the sg01 so I would think that it would produce less noise, but then again, the sg01 doesnt have 2 80mm fans in the front either.

Outrigger said:
I'm surprised at the neglible difference is quietness. the v300 doesn't have any vent holes on the side like the sg01 so I would think that it would produce less noise, but then again, the sg01 doesnt have 2 80mm fans in the front either.

UPDATE: I just completed SLI testing in the SG01-E with the Silverstone NT06 CPU cooler and I was very suprised at the results. ;)

The NT06 CPU heat pipe is the perfect height in the SG01 when coupled with a PSU that has a bottom 120mm fan. The PSU fan is directly above the NT06 and is very effective at cooling even under extreme load without any fan needed on the CPU cooler!

With this setup I was able to use (2) Nexus silent 80mm fans on the top mounts above the video cards, drawing air out. I also used a Coolermaster silent 80mm LED fan on the hard drive cage which also draws air out. All 80mm Fans were running on 7 volts!

NT06.jpg

So dworley, do you think its worth buying for $100 to replace my qpack? I really like the case but I hate how I am going to have to cut the drive cage!

PC-HAngover said:
So dworley, do you think its worth buying for $100 to replace my qpack? I really like the case but I hate how I am going to have to cut the drive cage!

MicroFly?, or the LanBox? What about the Antec 1300 or whatever.

What is the reason you are considering replacing the X-Qpack?

So far, all of the mATX cube cases I have tested can run my high end SLI setup with reasonable temps and can be silenced based on the components and fans chosen.

It really just boils down to personal preference....I like different aspects of each case and may eventually end up considering a custom DIY Fragbox, since I had such good success with my recent testing of the SG01.

My personal preference is for a small case with windows and brushed aluminum covers, with very good cooling that can be setup to run as silent as possible.

I don't think the fragbox for 300 is a good deal or even a decent deal. remember the fragbox is based on the 1st version of the sg01, not the evolution, so there's only one 60mm fan over the expansion slot and another 60mm in the back, plus the box is also shorter as well. I like the lanbox much better though, and it has windows on either side.

Outrigger said:
I don't think the fragbox for 300 is a good deal or even a decent deal. remember the fragbox is based on the 1st version of the sg01, not the evolution, so there's only one 60mm fan over the expansion slot and another 60mm in the back, plus the box is also shorter as well. I like the lanbox much better though, and it has windows on either side.

Wel, I do have an SG01-E....I wonder if I could use the SG01-E chasis with the Fragbox case cover? Or I could possibly use the updated fan bracket and cut a top 80mm hole in the Fragbox cover. :eek:

An update to my other post regarding the rear HD bay problem I was having. It seems the screws provided with the case are not long enough.

I compared the size to the HD screws from my Lian-Li PC-v800 case. The screws from the v800 are around 1 millimeter longer. This was the reason my HD got stuck on my first attempt to install. I tried three different hard drives and a floppy with the original screws and not one would properly fit. When I tried the v800 screws all three drives installed correctly.

dworley said:
Wel, I do have an SG01-E....I wonder if I could use the SG01-E chasis with the Fragbox case cover? Or I could possibly use the updated fan bracket and cut a top 80mm hole in the Fragbox cover. :eek:

I don't think you can use the sg01 chassis with the fragbox cover because the cover is shorter in length. you might be able to mod the fan bracket though, let me know how that goes.

Ray-zor said:
With regards to the silver drive cage shining trough the grill front.... how do you suppose they took this picture?
xoxide_1902_89433290

http://www.xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-v300b-black.html

Maybe the drive cage and fan holders are removed? Or is it another revision. Or maybe paint(shop) was used?

it might've been removed or because you're not viewing it from head on you can't see the drive bays. but that sure looks nice.

Heya dworley, ive got a v300 on order and should be here soon, and i plan to do some modding to it.

I plan on removing the floppy and the bottom cd rom caddy and modding the front to accomodate 2 120mm fans. But what im wondering is how much space is there from the front fan mounts to the motherboard as i want to see if i can fit both the fans in there and a dual 120mm radiator.

Cheers in advance :)

Nixeh said:
Heya dworley, ive got a v300 on order and should be here soon, and i plan to do some modding to it.

I plan on removing the floppy and the bottom cd rom caddy and modding the front to accomodate 2 120mm fans. But what im wondering is how much space is there from the front fan mounts to the motherboard as i want to see if i can fit both the fans in there and a dual 120mm radiator.

I don't have a v300 but just judging from dworley's pics, if you're installing a high end (long) vid card or cards, you might not have enough room with a thick rad plus 25mm thick fans.

Well i reckon 5cm will be sufficent, and im hoping i can find a 120mm fan thats only 20mm thick. Got any ideas.

As far as radiators are concerned i heard that the BIP 2 are the thinnest radiators that could be used in my project.

Nixeh said:
Well i reckon 5cm will be sufficent, and im hoping i can find a 120mm fan thats only 20mm thick. Got any ideas.

As far as radiators are concerned i heard that the BIP 2 are the thinnest radiators that could be used in my project.

you won't find any 120mm fans that are only 20mm thick, I've tried looking myself. as for the bip, yeah, they're low profile so they're pretty good, I have a 120mm one myself. all you have to do is look at the dimension of the v300 and the dimension of the matx board and you can figure out the difference in the front and base it on that.

well if u take away the depth of a matx motherboard, then theres roughly 10cms but then i dont know how much the fan mounts are set back from the front grill.

Hopefully only something like 4cm, cause then i would have about 6cm which would be fine for me :)

Nixeh said:

7900-4.jpg

Does this help?

FYI: The drive cage sub assembly is all one piece and rivetted in place

Here's my test data (non SLI) for the V300B

Temps.jpg

System configuration:

Lian Li V300B Case
Processor AMD Athlon X2 4800+
Motherboard eVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI mATX
Memory 4 x 512MB Samsung PC3200 CL3
Hard Drive 1 x Samsung SP1614C SATA
Graphics Card NVIDIA GEFORCE 7900 GTX
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W
CPU Cooler Thermaltake BlueOrb II
Fans (2) 80x80x25 Coolermaster Silent LED - intake, (1) 80x80x15 Lian Li - side exhaust

Testing notes:

Speedfan 4.28 software was utiliuzed to monitor the CPU and HDD temperatures with a room temperature of 78F. Noise readings were taken with an Extech Sound Level Monitor approximately 12 inches away from the front of the case at an angle with background noise below recordable range of 30db.

Load tests were conducted with two instances of Prime95 running to put 100% load on the processor for 20 minutes and looping Futuremark 06 Canyon flight for 20 minutes to stress the GPU.

dworley said:
7900-4.jpg

Does this help?

FYI: The drive cage sub assembly is all one piece and rivetted in place

Yeah i noticed u said that in your earlier post.

What i plan to do is dremel it when its in place.

Youve seen the inside of this case and dealt with it, think it will put up much of a challenge? or is it just dremel between the 2 cd rom caddies, and the front part and voila?

dworley said:
tests were conducted with two instances of Prime95 running to put 100% load on the processor for 20 minutes and looping Futuremark 06 Canyon flight for 20 minutes to stress the GPU.
woah i must be tired, at first i thought this said "tests were conducted with crayons", canyon somehow leaped up from the row below and turned into a new word :eek:

Hello. I received my PC-V300 case last night and will build a PC with it tonight. I'll post a full review at my tech site Pain in the Tech in the next couple of days. Please send mail to contact {at} paininthetech if you'd like more information. I'm most concerned with noise and heat levels (pre-construction). Pain in the Tech

Back