Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

I hope not. As it is this game levels to fast. I'm always 3-5 levels ahead of the planet I'm on. That is mainly just questing with the occasional pvp daily thrown in, no flashpoints no heroics. I'm not out grinding mobs just finish a quest and move on. If they add something to make leveling faster I hope it is a skill of some sort that I don't have to use.

With the sith marauder, I found myself approximately on-level until I reached Hoth, where the quests quickly "outgrew" me. With the republic trooper, I was constantly 2-3 levels below the quests and mobs around me. I did all side-quests, except for the bonus quests.

After balmorra I was able to skip most side quests. I did my daily space missions which gave a ton of xp. On each planet I did my class quest line and the main planet quest line. Might do a few side quests if the mood struck me. But as soon as the main questlines were done and I was at the level for the next planet I left.

Space quests and PvP dailies are the way to do it quickly.

So...space missions. Up until level 45, they weren't really challenging at all. Now I'm level 50, and have my ship upgraded with tier 5 kit (including EMP, torpedoes, and ECM), and I can't finish even a level 46 space mission. I've seen a lot of more advanced ship parts on the trade network, but people want ridiculous amounts of moeny for it. Are those parts the trick to this? It doesn't seem worth it since, at level 50, I won't be getting any XP from space battles.

So...space missions. Up until level 45, they weren't really challenging at all. Now I'm level 50, and have my ship upgraded with tier 5 kit (including EMP, torpedoes, and ECM), and I can't finish even a level 46 space mission. I've seen a lot of more advanced ship parts on the trade network, but people want ridiculous amounts of moeny for it. Are those parts the trick to this? It doesn't seem worth it since, at level 50, I won't be getting any XP from space battles.

They get harder but i'm able to do them all at level 46-49. And I don't have EMP or those photon torpedos. And I don't have any advanced ship parts.

It is doable you just need to change up your tactics.

With the sith marauder, I found myself approximately on-level until I reached Hoth, where the quests quickly "outgrew" me. With the republic trooper, I was constantly 2-3 levels below the quests and mobs around me. I did all side-quests, except for the bonus quests.

My trooper is 50 and I say for him I would be 1-3 above. I did do the space missions every day and all the bonus quest for the planets, maybe that was enough to put me so far ahead. I also finished the kill bonus quest 90% of the time.

My sith sorcerer is even worse, 43 right now and a few times I was 6 or 7 levels above the mobs. I am doing a lot of pvp with him but hardly any space missions.

What server are you on? If you are on fatman republic side I can craft the space ship parts.

Last edited:
I'm a Trooper at 39 and I'm 5+ levels ahead all of my missions. The good thing about that is, I'm always way ahead of the Sith running around.

On my Sage, I am currently level 31 (almost 32), and I just finished Nar Shaddaa. Granted, I have done basically every quest possible up until now as well has all but one heroic...bonus areas included. I have also done at least one space mission per day, and I've been to every FP that I can do at least once. I hadn't PvP'd at all until last night, but all that still puts me at around 4-5 levels over where I probably should be progression wise. The only down side is that my gear is also slightly behind my level, but I'm also not worried about gear at all until I hit 50. If it ever gets to the point to where quests are grey for me, I figure I'll only do my story stuff and move on.

I do ALOT of PVP, levelling like crazy... dinging every two or three hours now on Fatman.

My Sorcerer was rank 44 when he dinged level 50. Right now my current main is valor 30 and level 30. I took all of those commendations and turned them into level 20 and 40 pvp gear for myself and my companion, which makes the class questing very doable. Rarely did I ever take any quest reward other than a planet commendation since that pvp stuff is fantastic and so easy to get.

Already finished the first chapter when I was 28 under my bounty hunter, no question all those pvp blues and oranges helped. Still alot easier than it was for the Sorcerer run through. Haven't done much actual questing outside of my class series and whatever else I happened to run into for a bonus quest... which has kind of crippled my Light side progression since I've missed out on all of that conversation.

I stopped doing any 4+ or group heroics, the only ones I'll do is 2+. I would do everything early on but it was becoming way too hard to get groups later on and finish these plus they didn't offer much as far as story/gear goes anyways.

Its good to be 4-5 levels plus only because when you travel you don't get attacked from 5 miles out by anything thats KOS.

So I am on The Fatman server on the Empire side, and I swear I thought I saw a HARDOCP guild tag on someone's character but I can't remember if I was dreaming. :p

Is this true, because the guild I'm in right now is super lame compared to playing with fellow [H]ardians.

So I am on The Fatman server on the Empire side, and I swear I thought I saw a HARDOCP guild tag on someone's character but I can't remember if I was dreaming. :p

Is this true, because the guild I'm in right now is super lame compared to playing with fellow [H]ardians.

yeah the guild is called HardOCP on the Empire side and HardGaming on the republic.

Profession related: As my crafting skills get higher (340 artifice on one, 260+ cybertech on another), it seems like the discoveries from reverse engineering aren't as frequent as they used to be? Early on, it seemed like if you RE'd five of an item, you'd discover the blue version. Now I've had multiple hilts/mods that I've RE'd 20+ of each and haven't discovered the blue version. Anyone else notice this?

Any idea if the legacy system will allow you to access your alts' crafting professions from your main character? At least to the extend of something like the altoholic addon in WoW?

Profession related: As my crafting skills get higher (340 artifice on one, 260+ cybertech on another), it seems like the discoveries from reverse engineering aren't as frequent as they used to be? Early on, it seemed like if you RE'd five of an item, you'd discover the blue version. Now I've had multiple hilts/mods that I've RE'd 20+ of each and haven't discovered the blue version. Anyone else notice this?

Any idea if the legacy system will allow you to access your alts' crafting professions from your main character? At least to the extend of something like the altoholic addon in WoW?

I haven't. At 400 artifice I typically get a blue version in about 5 reverse engineerings or less. Many times I've received the new schematic on the first try. One reason why it may seem so much worse is the increased time it takes to make something later on in the game.

Crafting turns out to be pretty much useless anyway. I probably spent more money sending people out on missions to gather materials, then spent the money on the patterns etc. and what good does it do me? Not much I'm afraid. There are "Advanced %Item% 23's" which I can not craft (as we can only craft up to "Advanced %item% 22) and are available for 8 daily commendations each at the Ilum market. (These is extremely easy to get.) All of which is useless until you are level 50, but crafting does little to no good for a level 50. There are plenty of items which shame anything you can make. Centurion, Champion, and Battlemaster PvP gear. Rakata, Columni, etc. PvE gear all do. The only benefit I've found to crafting later on is that you can make lightsaber / blaster crystals. Though this isn't necessarily needed either as the higher end gear comes with crystals as good as anything you can make based on what I've seen. It's worthless in PvP as Champion and Battlemaster gear isn't really moddable. At least the lightsabers aren't. Rakta and Columni gear has blue / black and red / black crystal options. Something we don't ever see in terms of crafting. So unless they add more patterns to crafting and extend it's functionality, it's pretty much a waste of money and time in my mind.

Even worse is crafting lightsabers and relics. I've been told it's the same for other professions as well. But the lightsabers and relics require a biometric crystal alloy to craft. This material can only be found by completing hard mode flashpoints or operations. It's bind on pickup so you can't sell it to other players and it can't be traded. An even bigger slap in the face is the lightsabers you can craft, pretty much suck. The ones I purchased from the equipment commendations vendor on Taris, with appropriate mods were vastly superior to what I could craft even if I did have the final material I needed to do so.

This is at 400 Artifice, 400 Archeology and 400 Treasure Hunting. So it's not like I didn't put in the time to find out. I hate to say it but BioWare pretty much fucked everyone on the crafting end. It's virtually useless. Again you can get the higher grade lightsaber crystals (up to a point) which helps at lower levels but I'm not certain I'd consider that ample justification for the profession as a whole.

Biochem crafting isn't useless. I get a ton of adrenals/kits that are very useful for Operations. Some of my items are not consumed on use and persist. They just have a cooldown.

Biochem crafting isn't useless. I get a ton of adrenals/kits that are very useful for Operations. Some of my items are not consumed on use and persist. They just have a cooldown.

Well artifice gives me lightsaber and blaster crystals. That's the one thing they seem to do for me. I'm certain every profession has at least one benefit like that, but that's probably about it.

I probably wouldn't level crafting if it wasn't for my diagnosed condition of an altoholic. I like the whole concept of the orange gear where you can change mods/enhancements/hilts/etc to bring it up to level. It's quite useful for my situation. I couldn't really care any less about crafting at endgame right now.

That being said...look how long engineering remained 100% useless in WoW. As long as the game is on an active development cycle, there's always hope for it to become useful =)

Biochem is the best crafting skill period.

Everything else is 2nd fiddle IMO.

Hell we even have a guild on our server called "Biochem or Bust". They are dead on with that statement

Yeah Biochem is awesome. The blue quality buffpacks are great, they last 2 hours and persist through death.

First I got armortech to 400, then artifice to 400, but biochem is way better so I just switched to Biochem. Plus there are no patterns for artifice, not even in raids, so there is really no poin to have artifice as a profession.

You shouldn't need to buy anything from the market at all. Just get the upgrades from the ship vendors as soon as they become available and you have everything you need. I haven't failed a single space mission all the way up to 50 using that method.

Try to figure out when and where is best to use your EMP and ECM since on certain missions there is a section or two where you will take heavy damage without using one or the other. Sometimes it makes more sense to just use missiles and switch your power to shields so your regen is maxed while not shooting your primary weapon at all. Toggling that power distribution properly and shooting your primary weapon in bursts to maximize shield regen can make a big difference.

Well I've confirmed for myself on my 3rd character now that tanks are easily the best PvPmedaling class in the game. I'm usually able to get about 7 medals on both my 50 Marauder and 41 Operative (and yes I've tried heal and stealth spec with about the same results either way) as long as the warzone isn't too one-sided either way. I had just gotten my space missions unlocked on my Juggernaut and dinged 16 when I did my first warzone on that character and came out with 9 medals... and that's without even getting the medal for a 2.5K single hit. As soon as I'm able to do that with at least one hard hitting crit, 10 medals should be fairly easy to get on a regular basis.

Don't let them know tanks are super OP at medals! ;)

Not only at medals, but at warzones in general. Pretty much the team that wins huttball most of the time is the team with the most tank specced assassins and juggernauts. Sprint,the ability of jumping to people or pulling people to you, etc. are all incredibly useful there. On voidstar and alderaan, these things are great on d.

People complain about damage charts and kills on warzone way too much, not realizing that that is all useless. A tracer missile merc may lead the wz in damage, but he was stationary picking on randoms in mid, while the tanks likely did little damage, but got 12 medals and won the game.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that tanks dont do dmg. I usually lead meters. The reason isnt that I have better burst but rather that I am so fucking hard to kill.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that tanks dont do dmg. I usually lead meters. The reason isnt that I have better burst but rather that I am so fucking hard to kill.

I just wish I would've leveled my Jugg instead of my Marauder first. Actually no, I take that back... at least I'm having fun with the Jugg now, and I probably never would've leveled a Marauder to 50 knowing what I know now otherwise.

not if you are scoring the ball all the time on huttball. My point isn't that they can't, it's that when they don't it's because they are scoring the ball.

People who think topping damage charts is what warzones are about are terrible players.

Medals are easy. Civil war:
Guard someone - 3 medals
Heal yourself with rakata health pack for 2.5k - 1 medal
Hit someone hard for 2.5k damage - 1 medal
Defend the turret - 2 medals
Solo Kill - 1 medal
Kill shot - 1 medal
75k damage - 1 medal
+ trade mvp with someone else for one extra.

Medals are easy. Civil war:
Guard someone - 3 medals
Heal yourself with rakata health pack for 2.5k - 1 medal
Hit someone hard for 2.5k damage - 1 medal
Defend the turret - 2 medals
Solo Kill - 1 medal
Kill shot - 1 medal
75k damage - 1 medal
+ trade mvp with someone else for one extra.

You can't use medpacs for the 2.5k heal medal since the patch.

First I got armortech to 400, then artifice to 400, but biochem is way better so I just switched to Biochem. Plus there are no patterns for artifice, not even in raids, so there is really no poin to have artifice as a profession.

As I said, lightsaber crystals are it. There are many lightsaber crystals that are worth it. Additionally there are some additional schematics to be found, but they are only dropped by world bosses I believe. The "Magenta" Power, Critical, and Endurance crystals are all dropped by the Belsavis world boss. (At leat I believe it's that one.)

I've never really got into MMO's but I did enjoy Mass Effect. Would this game be right for me?

Keep in mind, I do not play games for more than 3 hours at once, I play games in phases, sometimes I go through a phase where I'll play for weeks and phases where I don't play games at all for weeks or months.

Is this game still worth checking out?

i played to level 34 and i just ZzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzzz...........

I love star wars dearly, and swg sucked post cu especially nge, but swg massive sandbox on different worlds + the best space sim since x-wing vs. tie fighter to me kills swtor.

Im not going to go off in a spin on how bored i was with this game. But i cant play anymore its so boring.

I have been playing since thanksgiving beta, and did not rush at all. My highest level character is 34. On to gw2

i played to level 34 and i just ZzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzzz...........

I love star wars dearly, and swg sucked post cu especially nge, but swg massive sandbox on different worlds + the best space sim since x-wing vs. tie fighter to me kills swtor.

Im not going to go off in a spin on how bored i was with this game. But i cant play anymore its so boring.

I have been playing since thanksgiving beta, and did not rush at all. My highest level character is 34. On to gw2

Thats cool....I have a lvl 50, a lvl 30, lvl 14, and a lvl 5.... :p

I've never really got into MMO's but I did enjoy Mass Effect. Would this game be right for me?

Keep in mind, I do not play games for more than 3 hours at once, I play games in phases, sometimes I go through a phase where I'll play for weeks and phases where I don't play games at all for weeks or months.

Is this game still worth checking out?

I would say so. It's not exactly a game that forces you to play with other people. I played WoW for 5+ years and thought I was going to hate the whole voiceover thing. It's quite the opposite, at least for the class quests.

I mean, yeah, there are some group quests, pvp, and flashpoints, but you don't have to do them. It's very much a game that can be single-player, just make sure you're on a PVE server if you don't want to deal with others and you'll enjoy it.

You can't use medpacs for the 2.5k heal medal since the patch.

Yeah, even better than that you can get the water off of Tatooine, take it up the mountain on Hoth and not continue the line to get the magenta Adegan crystal and instead keep the full out of combat heal thing and repeatedly heal yourself for 8k+ by taking off and reequipping all your gear. Probably gonna get fixed, but it's an easy way to get 2.5k and 5k healing medals.

Yeah, even better than that you can get the water off of Tatooine, take it up the mountain on Hoth and not continue the line to get the magenta Adegan crystal and instead keep the full out of combat heal thing and repeatedly heal yourself for 8k+ by taking off and reequipping all your gear. Probably gonna get fixed, but it's an easy way to get 2.5k and 5k healing medals.

ummm whaaaa?

Back