Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

Man I've been saying this for weeks in this thread and have been getting all sorts of shit.

I agree 100%.

Ooooh, didn't realize you were not 50..

I would imagine the new 1-49 bracket is a metric assload of fun

especially since the progression is the same for all (mostly, those who bought up cheap gear while it was cheap obviously are ahead now).. but at 50 progression becomes random and it's beyond stupid/not fun.

A suit of champion gear should mean you put forth a hell of an effort to earn it -- it shouldn't mean you got lucky.

'um' you got 'all sorts of shit' because you were trolling about it on every page.

And everyone should consider 3 champion bags a day a 'hell of an effort'. You don't like rolling for your gear? Go buy shit off the GTN.

Man I've been saying this for weeks in this thread and have been getting all sorts of shit.

Because of the way you word things. *shrug* Disagreement isn't getting shit when people think you have a valid argument. People will give you shit when you disagree, then get riled up like you need to spout things 100 times over. Think of it this way, telling someone that you really don't care for their opinion (verbatim) versus just saying that you appreciate the opinion but disagree will net you entirely different results.

A suit of champion gear should mean you put forth a hell of an effort to earn it -- it shouldn't mean you got lucky.

Agreed with you on this one. I do not enjoy random drops from bags.

Another slight issue. Especially when at 50, I am usually in a match where our team doesn't even have all the slots filled in the game. We get roflstomped by a group of Imps. I don't even know if they are getting full commendations or not...if so, then that's another grievance I have with the PvP. But I honestly don't care as much as others do. If I am under-geared/under-matched, I can enjoy the fight since it makes me a better player under duress. Not everyone can withstand a beating and just keep going.

Customizable UI? Not a huge issue for me. It's functional for me, but fix some of the bugs with the guild tabs and I'll be happy.

PvE? Hard modes are fine. Doing an operation this weekend. We'll see how that goes.

'um' you got 'all sorts of shit' because you were trolling about it on every page.

And everyone should consider 3 champion bags a day a 'hell of an effort'. You don't like rolling for your gear? Go buy shit off the GTN.

Go back and read -- people fought tooth and nail that the game was fine and the issues I raised were stupid/silly/bullshit. Having an opinion against the grain /= trolling.

If anything, I'd venture out to say the bulk of you were attempting to troll me.

And easy for you to say: you've already gotten your suit of champions armor. You were lucky, unlike many others that put in equal or more time and have nearly nothing to show for it.

If you were on the other side of the fence you'd be on our side.

Go back and read -- people fought tooth and nail that the game was fine and the issues I raised were stupid/silly/bullshit. Having an opinion against the grain /= trolling.

If anything, I'd venture out to say the bulk of you were attempting to troll me.

And easy for you to say: you've already gotten your suit of champions armor. You were lucky, unlike many others that put in equal or more time and have nearly nothing to show for it.

If you were on the other side of the fence you'd be on our side.

Your side? Just sounds like you're whining :confused:

I fully realize they had many reasons to create the world in the fashion they did... However, that's not the point... I'm simply pointing out that you really lose a larger sense of exploration and adventure due to some of those decisions.

In terms of travel... it makes LESS sense to ME that my slower... errr, I mean speeder, even at lvl 50 is only 110% movement speed increase and still tethers me to the ground. In WoW I could FLY and move 310% faster across a far more expansive and varied ladscape. Talk about technological inconsistency... :p

Sorry I'm not familiar with WoW, but I'm pretty sure that a 310% mount wasn't available in the original or first expansion. You're not thinking long term, there has to be some type of progression with mounts in the future.

Have to agree here, the random drop in Champion bags really sucks. I've been 50 for a few weeks now and still don't have a full set of Champ gear. I'm close to having a full tank set and I have quite a few for DPS. The one item that psychologically means the most to players, (or at least to me anyway) my lightsaber, is still a customized orange piece with some T1 pieces stuffed in it. The best part is that I have 2 DPS belts and 2 Tank belts. :rolleyes: The last two drops I've gotten were belts, which was about 10 bags of commendations ago.

more edit: It would be great if it wasn't completely restricted to class type on the drops, then I could outfit more than one of my companions with the drops I can't use. Selling extra items for 1 credit is a slap in the face, I'd rather have Cent commendations to supplement the gear I don't have.

Last edited:
Your side? Just sounds like you're whining :confused:

You can't argue with the fact that luck sucks. Sorry, but it's a losing argument.

Luck isn't a balanced method of gameplay. It is for PvE. But not when you are playing against players where your win or loss depends on your quality of play.

Let me explain my reasoning: A fight in PvE has less than a few ways to beat a boss and thus can say that RNG is balanced. Because it loses it's challenge over time. PvP is the opposite, it ramps up over time and skill mastery or tactics evolve to be more advanced quicker. So having a set "goal" that provides a reward is actually pretty par and should be a method of attaining your gear. That is an accurate representation of skill and time played.

You can't argue with the fact that luck sucks. Sorry, but it's a losing argument.

Luck isn't a balanced method of gameplay. It is for PvE. But not when you are playing against players where your win or loss depends on your quality of play.

Let me explain my reasoning: A fight in PvE has less than a few ways to beat a boss and thus can say that RNG is balanced. Because it loses it's challenge over time. PvP is the opposite, it ramps up over time and skill mastery or tactics evolve to be more advanced quicker. So having a set "goal" that provides a reward is actually pretty par and should be a method of attaining your gear. That is an accurate representation of skill and time played.

stop making sense, there is no room for that here!

:p

Hi everyone; I wanted to give you all an update on the ability delay situation.

Thanks to constructive feedback from the community, including some great videos, we were able to identify an issue that could cause abilities on global cooldown to appear available to the player, resulting in unresponsive/ignored player input. A fix for the issue is currently scheduled to go to the public test server with our next update.

Additionally, we have located an issue that would cause player input for certain instant abilities to fail in frantic combat situations, resulting in unpredictable and frustrating gameplay issues for the affected player. A fix for the issue is currently scheduled to go to the public test server with our next update.

Finally, our engineers have identified an issue introducing a significant delay between player input and ability execution in certain game situations, most notably (but not limited to) fast paced PvP. The magnitude of the delay varies with a number of factors, including processor hardware, but can, especially on dual core CPUs, result in a very perceivable reduction in game responsiveness. We are in the later stages of testing a fix for the problem and hope to be able to roll it out to the servers very soon.

We're still investigating a number of additional issues, along with some usability and quality of life improvements for responsiveness regarding player input, but the above mentioned developments should provide a very measurable improvement in combat responsiveness.

Thanks again for your patience and support and we hope to see you on the public test server to help us validate these improvements before pushing them to the live servers.

Georg Zoeller
Principal Lead Combat Designer

http://www.swtor.com/blog/georg-zoeller-gives-update-ability-delay

This is what frustrates me about MMO players: the whining about how to get gear. The randomness of champion bags sucks? Probably. But it is not like it is the only way, since at rank 60 you can get better stuff. But people also whined about the old Wow honor system (which was rare and non random gear) or the current wow rating system (which is rare and non random).
I don't get the obsession with gear. I don't get why people trade win, or go afk in warzones, or any of that that has plagued any recent mmo.

This is what frustrates me about MMO players: the whining about how to get gear. The randomness of champion bags sucks? Probably. But it is not like it is the only way, since at rank 60 you can get better stuff. But people also whined about the old Wow honor system (which was rare and non random gear) or the current wow rating system (which is rare and non random).
I don't get the obsession with gear. I don't get why people trade win, or go afk in warzones, or any of that that has plagued any recent mmo.

what?

you're making no sense.. what other way? at rank 60 you can wear battlemasters gear.. guess how you get that? you buy battlemaster bags and use a randomized design to try and get gear..

the obsession with gear? every mmo ever has been about progression through gear.. what else are you going to bulk up on? titles? lol

and I'm with you on the afk/trading wins.. it's bullshit and people that do that are a bunch of dildos.

people DO want an easy way out -- hence afking and trading wins.

please do not confused a flawed system that should be changed with wanting an easy way out, though.

to be perfectly honest I'm more for removing randomness completely and making the progression much slower. The game has been out for a month, no one should be walking around in full tier 2/3 yet.

plus, did anyone else notice that cent is essentially bypassed? I feel like using all the cent tokens I've been awarded is like settling for the bottom crap.

Umm what? How would removing randomness make progression slower?

by awarding tokens only?

and read it again, I said I'm for removing randomness AND lowering the progression rate.. as in, make it more difficult to obtain the tokens

by awarding tokens only?

and read it again, I said I'm for removing randomness AND lowering the progression rate.. as in, make it more difficult to obtain the tokens
Some people have a life outside this game. Randomness levels the playing field in this regard and adds a sense of excitement/risk to the process. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but life is hard, keep trying.

:rolleyes:

Also, the ability delays greatly depends on how crappy your computer is. It's much worse on my laptop and is almost non-existent on my desktop. It's definitely something that needs addressing and should be fixed, but it also accounts for the varying opinions and numbers of those affected.

by awarding tokens only?

You seriously are butt hurt about not getting Champion gear, aren't you?

Read that one again. :rolleyes:

Some people have a life outside this game. Randomness levels the playing field in this regard and adds a sense of excitement/risk to the process. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but life is hard, keep trying.

Also, the ability delays greatly depends on how crappy your computer is. It's much worse on my laptop and is almost non-existent on my desktop. It's definitely something that needs addressing and should be fixed, but it also accounts for the varying opinions and numbers of those affected.

if "some people have lives" then don't expect to compete with the ones who "don't have lives".

Randomness levels the playing field in this regard

The same random variable applies to all players, regardless of play time. The only way to level the playing field in that regard would be to have a set return rate with diminishing returns based on played time, or a reward for not playing as much (akin to rested experience).

Not at all. Do you know any probability theory? If anything it does nothing for the playing field, because people who play less do not have a higher chance of getting randomized gear. :confused:

The current system rewards based on luck, instead of based on effort and skill. A much better system would be to level the playing field by removing randomness all together and instead have rewards based on effort/skill. Seeing someone run around in full battle masters gear should make people say "wow, he put in some serious time to get that", not "wow, he must have gotten seriously lucky, or seriously unlucky and dumped a massive amount of time and effort".

Those in favor of it got lucky.

It is as simple as that.

You seriously are butt hurt about not getting Champion gear, aren't you?

Read that one again. :rolleyes:

Look at you, trying so hard to troll..

In the end, you just look idiotic.

Randomized pvp rewards never works, and if anything, discourages players from participating.

if "some people have lives" then don't expect to compete with the ones who "don't have lives".

+1

If you can't put in the effort then fuck off, you don't deserve to have 'elite' stuff.

Not at all. Do you know any probability theory? If anything it does nothing for the playing field, because people who play less do not have a higher chance of getting randomized gear. :confused:

The current system rewards based on luck, instead of based on effort and skill. A much better system would be to level the playing field by removing randomness all together and instead have rewards based on effort/skill. Seeing someone run around in full battle masters gear should make people say "wow, he put in some serious time to get that", not "wow, he must have gotten seriously lucky, or seriously unlucky and dumped a massive amount of time and effort".

Those in favor of it got lucky.

It is as simple as that.

Look at you, trying so hard to troll..

In the end, you just look idiotic.

Randomized pvp rewards never works, and if anything, discourages players from participating.

+1

If you can't put in the effort then fuck off, you don't deserve to have 'elite' stuff.

thank you. Thank you for the precise example of what annoys me in MMO players. The huffing and puffing about gear is insane. By the way, your first and second paragraphs contradict themselves.

thank you. Thank you for the precise example of what annoys me in MMO players. The huffing and puffing about gear is insane. By the way, your first and second paragraphs contradict themselves.

Maybe you shouldn't be playing MMO's, then.

The entire genre is based around getting gear up to spec to do something, then re-gearing, then doing something.. rinse and repeat.

What contradiction, exactly?

Huh?
By your own admission the stuff that you want is the stuff that only a minority should be able to get. Most people play MMOs casually. They do not rush to 50 and then spend the next week posting every hour on forums on how the game sucks because you rushed the content.

And on one hand you say that because of probability theory people who play more would be at an advantage anyways, and on the other you complain that the randomness does not reward those who play more.

Huh?
By your own admission the stuff that you want is the stuff that only a minority should be able to get. Most people play MMOs casually. They do not rush to 50 and then spend the next week posting every hour on forums on how the game sucks because you rushed the content.

And on one hand you say that because of probability theory people who play more would be at an advantage anyways, and on the other you complain that the randomness does not reward those who play more.

I never said anyone would be at an advantage or disadvantage.

I simply dispelled the idea that people who play casually will be rewarded more, which is untrue. Randomized rewards do not "level the playing field" for people who play less than others. It doesn't favor anyone.

And yes, the "stuff I want" should not be available to every single person -- that kills any sense of "earning" (as does a randomized system). I'm sorry that you can't play a whole bunch, but you shouldn't just be handed gear because of it.

Last edited:
If you can't put in the effort to get Warzone coms, you don't deserve to have 'elite' stuff.

My girlfriend has an extra tampon for you btw.

Thanks, but unfortunately the tampon was designed for those who are 'wide set' and I am thus unable to make use of it.

And thank you for agreeing. If you don't put in the effort: you don't get the goods.

Remove randomization and have everyone rely strictly on farming commendations.

Glad we agree!

This makes no sense. The ability delay is tied to the animation. When you press an instant cast in TOR, the damage does not appear until after the animation plays. When you press force wave, which is an instant, it takes two seconds until the enemy is thrown back. In other games, instant casts are immediately applied on target, with very short animations following the application. This is what makes PvP such a clusterfuck because chaining abilities is terribly difficult.

This should be the same on all pc hardware.

Thanks, but unfortunately the tampon was designed for

Remove randomization and have everyone rely strictly on farming commendations.
!

And yet, farming coms is a form of randomization. you contradict yourself in every whiny post you've had in this thread. A shame.

Anyway, glad to see they're working on the ability delay. Though it's weird that they're acting like they've just found out about it :confused:

How is it a form of randomization if the randomization is removed? :confused:

This little conversation seems to be going in circles. :p

Yup. one big contradiction after another. It's alright though, we've moved on to better subjects. :p

I'm loving the different looks of the champion gear btw. The bonus are nice, but it's temping to switch out a piece for something else at the risk of losing the set bonus.

This makes no sense. The ability delay is tied to the animation. When you press an instant cast in TOR, the damage does not appear until after the animation plays. When you press force wave, which is an instant, it takes two seconds until the enemy is thrown back. In other games, instant casts are immediately applied on target, with very short animations following the application. This is what makes PvP such a clusterfuck because chaining abilities is terribly difficult.

This should be the same on all pc hardware.

This is true, I am cancelling my subscription till they fix the combat lag. If they never do, so be it. It's nigh unplayable for me as a Sith Marauder in pvp.

And yet, farming coms is a form of randomization.

Wat? Farming commendations is not random. I think you're the one who is confused.

And yet, farming coms is a form of randomization. you contradict yourself in every whiny post you've had in this thread. A shame.

Anyway, glad to see they're working on the ability delay. Though it's weird that they're acting like they've just found out about it :confused:

How is it a form of randomization? You perform well in a warzone, you get commendations. If you perform poorly, you don't get as many commendations. You trade them for tokens, which are then traded for gear. What is the problem here?

Splinter is what we call a fanboy -- he's on his last rope so he's just repeating himself over and over again and making senseless statements. He'll go away eventually.

He's been trolling this thread for pages now. Getting kind of lame.

I just saw they nerfed Operatives/Scoundrels.

Thank god I caught it before my subscription renewed. I cancelled.

If anyone wants my account, let me know. I'll change the info and stuff and give it to you (if I can change the e-mail).

Priority goes to members of the [H] guild on Empire Fatman.

I just saw they nerfed Operatives/Scoundrels.

Thank god I caught it before my subscription renewed. I cancelled.

If anyone wants my account, let me know. I'll change the info and stuff and give it to you (if I can change the e-mail).

Priority goes to members of the [H] guild on Empire Fatman.

They nerfed overpowered classes and you cancelled because of that?

Does ToR have separate PvE and PvP skill trees? Or does this nerf affect both PvE and PvP? Could get messy.

Back