Official Galaxy Nexus Thread

I hear the GSM version of the car dock uses the 3 pin to power the device, but not the Verizon version. I might be interested in a desktop dock also, but I had one for my OG droid and Galaxy S and never used them.

LTE has the pins, it's just at a slightly different spot.

LTE has the pins, it's just at a slightly different spot.

Do you plug the USB charger into the phone or into the dock? I was reading that it was into the phone itself rather than into the car dock base.

On the Verizon dock you plug directly into the phone. The GSM dock it plugs into the base. I'd imagine that a LTE version with the dock will eventually come out whenever people start stocking accessories. Verizon just probably went cheap because $40 is easier to sell than $50

On the Verizon dock you plug directly into the phone. The GSM dock it plugs into the base. I'd imagine that a LTE version with the dock will eventually come out whenever people start stocking accessories. Verizon just probably went cheap because $40 is easier to sell than $50

are the pins in the same place that you could just use the GSM dock?

all of the video players gave me problems running MKV/AC3 and other stuff. the only one that works (and also uses the OMAP4 decoder) is diceplayer, give it a try! excellent 720p

That's a stupidly high price for a dock. Also, did we ever find out if the gnex has a landscape mode that comes up when docked?

Looks like it'll be another month before the official accessories come :mad:.

I don't understand how such a flagship device can be developed and launched without any accessories ready to go when the phone is available. That will be about 4 months after the GSM/HSPA+ variant has been available with no official docks for it.

That's a stupidly high price for a dock. Also, did we ever find out if the gnex has a landscape mode that comes up when docked?

There's no native landscape mode when docked. Tasker or some other such application can probably take care of that though.

Is anyone else having some trouble getting it to switch from I guess you would call it portrait to landscape when you rotate your phone? My OG Droid used to switch so quickly that it was almost an irritation, but with my GNex I find myself spinning it around and shaking it trying to get it to rotate a webpage or something. I almost wonder if it has something to do with the apps themselves. I feel like netflix changes very quickly, but a lot of times the browser completely refuses to rotate.

Is anyone else having some trouble getting it to switch from I guess you would call it portrait to landscape when you rotate your phone? My OG Droid used to switch so quickly that it was almost an irritation, but with my GNex I find myself spinning it around and shaking it trying to get it to rotate a webpage or something. I almost wonder if it has something to do with the apps themselves. I feel like netflix changes very quickly, but a lot of times the browser completely refuses to rotate.

It's designed to rotate slower. I like it sometimes. In case I don't want it to rotate I have time to avoid it.

I did notice it is slower to rotate than my Thunderbolt. Whether by design or not it is noticeable.

This is my one problem with Galaxy Nexus so far:

The god damn alert led or whatever its called, that white led that flashes really slowly when you get a txt or some other notification. Why in gods name is there such a huge delay between flashes?

All the time this happens: I'm doing something and phone is at edge of vision, I see some type of flash and am not 100% sure it was my phone or not, I then have to look at phone for 10 seconds to wait for it to flash again to be sure if it was phone or not.

This is my one problem with Galaxy Nexus so far:

The god damn alert led or whatever its called, that white led that flashes really slowly when you get a txt or some other notification. Why in gods name is there such a huge delay between flashes?

All the time this happens: I'm doing something and phone is at edge of vision, I see some type of flash and am not 100% sure it was my phone or not, I then have to look at phone for 10 seconds to wait for it to flash again to be sure if it was phone or not.

Install Light Flow to change your LED notifications.

I found that drained my battery life a bit.... I think. I uninstalled it anyway.

Root and install a AOKP ROM, they have custom pulse notification settings, the time between flashes can be set to anything you want. And different colors too, it is built into system settings of the ROM.

I'ma be pissed if this is true :p. If that goes to Sprint, I'm going to be really jealous, hah. But I don't see it making much sense if they keep the phone the same name, but it has completely different hardware inside, then supporting 3 different Nexus models (Nexus S included) at the same time. They would basically be pulling a Moto on us.

That would kind of suck, but I wouldnt have left verizon anyway.

Last edited:
Two questions.

1. Is there anyway to remove the emergency call feature?
(I've found myself accidently calling 911 once which is enough to not want it)

2. Anyone use most of the top ROM's for the GN and have their top three ROM list?
(I'm using Android Revolution HD 2.1.4 but I kind of want a lot more tweaking options)

I'ma be pissed if this is true :p. If that goes to Sprint, I'm going to be really jealous, hah. But I don't see it making much sense if they keep the phone the same name, but it has completely different hardware inside, then supporting 3 different Nexus models (Nexus S included) at the same time. They would basically be pulling a Moto on us.

I wouldn't like that either, but it's been done before. The Palm Pre on Sprint became the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon with upgraded internals.

Two questions.

1. Is there anyway to remove the emergency call feature?
(I've found myself accidently calling 911 once which is enough to not want it)

2. Anyone use most of the top ROM's for the GN and have their top three ROM list?
(I'm using Android Revolution HD 2.1.4 but I kind of want a lot more tweaking options)

I've used the major players on rootzwiki an I prefer Gummy by far over the others. Battery life was an issue in the last few releases but the latest has it all ironed out. TONS of features.

I just dropped my Nexus on concrete today :(. It was in my pocket and I had to do a light jog for a second and it popped out, landed on what looks like the back, the cover and battery flew off and the phone slid on its screen for a few feet. The plastic around the cover, the cover and plastic around the camera are a little scuffed up a bit, but the screen is still flawless. I scrutinized it under a light at all angles trying to find a scratch and I can't even find a slight flaw on it. So if you see people complain about the glass being weak (since it's not "Gorilla Glass"), it's not true. I've seen a couple people shatter their screens on the Android forums, but it comes down to bad luck and hitting the screen at just the wrong point (corners usually).

I've had a case on order, but it's back-ordered and won't ship for a couple weeks still :mad:.

So if you see people complain about the glass being weak (since it's not "Gorilla Glass"), it's not true.

While I am not, by any means, one of the gorilla glass nutjobs, I attribute your good fortune to the design of the phone. The curved screen and the plastic bezel sticking out a fraction of a mm on all sides serve together as a safeguard against slides on flat surfaces. Glad to hear your phone survived a rough encounter.

Any one having battery problems during idle? I charge my phone before bed, i remove the charger and when i wake up 6 7 hours later my battery goes from 100 down to 70?!?! When i first got my phone this never happend dunno what caused it to start draining so quickly even when idle. I close all apps, turn off wifi bluetooth all that good stuff nothing seems to help it. any suggestions?

Any one having battery problems during idle? I charge my phone before bed, i remove the charger and when i wake up 6 7 hours later my battery goes from 100 down to 70?!?! When i first got my phone this never happend dunno what caused it to start draining so quickly even when idle. I close all apps, turn off wifi bluetooth all that good stuff nothing seems to help it. any suggestions?

I am rooted running a custom ROM, a lot of times I will have my phone charged to 100% before bed, so I will leave unplugged while I am sleeping, and wake up 7-8 hours later phone is typically at 92%/93%.

I am rooted running a custom ROM, a lot of times I will have my phone charged to 100% before bed, so I will leave unplugged while I am sleeping, and wake up 7-8 hours later phone is typically at 92%/93%.

i wish i knew how to do all the rooting stuff and custom rom stuff i just dont know how lol. i am ok when it comes to computer but my phone i am lost.

Just download the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit. It will do all the rooting/unlocking for you with a click of the mouse.

Has to be a rogue app or something. See my post here. That was the second night I had the phone, totally stock/unrooted. Dropped about 1%/hour. Were you on wifi or 3G/4G?

I had this problem, well mine would drop more than 50% during the night. Turned out to be a bad battery. They replaced it and no more problems.

Anyone have any super sleek case recommendations for this phone? (Might have missed it mentioned in this thread but can't read all 24 pages to find out, sorry)

Priorities.
1. Looks
2. Looks and thin
3. Price
4. durability
5. meh

Thanks

Anyone have any super sleek case recommendations for this phone? (Might have missed it mentioned in this thread but can't read all 24 pages to find out, sorry)

Priorities.
1. Looks
2. Looks and thin
3. Price
4. durability
5. meh

Thanks

The Diztronic TPU (rev. 3) case that I currently have has been pretty nice. It came with a screen protector, as well. It's about $10 on Amazon. However, I've recently purchased an Otterbox Defender for it (about $34 on eBay) since I'm overly paranoid about fucking up the screen or worse by dropping it. It'd break my heart to even have a scratch anywhere on this thing but that's just me.

I think I'll just go with this one since I can't find any super cools ones (real carbon fiber looking, very unique, etc).

Seems like the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back