Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

The faroudja video processing chip is responsible for the banding. Dell has only disabled it in Desktop mode. The faroudja video processing chip is designed to help improve image quality when watching movies or playing games. That is why the chip is still enabled in those modes (and the banding is terrible).
Anyway, I only use the desktop mode and the image quality is just stunning. :D

According to an ongoing discussion that can be followed on the Whirlpool forum, the following issues are supposed to be solved with A03:
-Vertical colour banding at any frequencies fixed
-Issue regarding HDCP via DVI been fixed now supporting full 1080i/p
-Component low resolution

Right now, only the first one has been validated.

I own both monitors and I suggest to all the A02 owners that are bothered by the banding issue to exchange their monitor against the A03 revision. Now, I really enjoy my monitor. Good bye banding!

Well really the only 2 complaints I have with this monitor is the banding and the input lag. I can live with the input lag, as most of the times its not too bad but the banding was starting to annoy me. I was watching some HD videos today and in the sky shots as well as water shots you could see some banding. It's not completely horrible but if it's fixed in A03 and we all know it shouldnt be there then why not get an A03 where it works as intended. That said, I called dell today and explained my reasons for wanting a replacement and have 1 on the way. I will keep you guys posted when it arrives. Overall I love this screen and now if I can get an A03 with the banding fixed, I'm really happy. :)

I live in Canada and I received a 2407WFP A03 revision Monday this week. I like it much better than the deffective A02 I used to have.

Ya I ordered a replacement for my A02 this week on tuesday and recieved it this morning and wouldn't you know it...A02 again. /sigh. Gonna check it out tonight when i get home and see what it looks like, but I have a feeling its going back and I'm gonna call and request an A03 yet again. I just hate speaking to the foreigners at dell, its frustrating to speak to someone and not understand what they are saying half the time. I'll keep you all posted.

Per Dell Rep in the Dell Forums... "The only changes made to the 2407WFP A03 were language fixes in the OSD (On Screen Display)."

Pretzel said:
Per Dell Rep in the Dell Forums... "The only changes made to the 2407WFP A03 were language fixes in the OSD (On Screen Display)."

Is that a joke?

Quick question for anyone who's hooked the 2407 up to a 360 via VGA, have you noticed a lot of Jaggies? In titles new or old? Games like Condemned, CoD2, GRAW, Dead Rising, etc?

Chris. said:
Quick question for anyone who's hooked the 2407 up to a 360 via VGA, have you noticed a lot of Jaggies? In titles new or old? Games like Condemned, CoD2, GRAW, Dead Rising, etc?

Whether you notice jaggies or not depends on what level of AA the game uses and the color scheme of the environment. They're definitely there though.

I tend to notice in brighter games like ridge racer and not so much in games that are darker (prey, condemned)

Make no mistake about it...the 360 looks GORGEOUS on the 2407 with the VGA cable.

Odd issue with my 2407, I cannot seem to get any of the battlefield series of games to boot, BF2, bf2142 beta etc. In case of the beta is flashed to a black screen as if about to load the intros etc and then its back to the desktop. I'm running it on a 6600gt (i know not that great a card- i've been away for 9months and i'm moving in two weeks so it'll have to do for a few more weeks.) I can boot many other games like hl2 etc (terrible tearing though.)
I had planned on setting the mon res to the same as the 2005fpw i was using before and using the 1:1 feature (black bars all around) to compensate. Still no luck.

I'm frustrated right now, update all drivers, windows etc.. i'm about to give up and go back to some xbox 360 until i move lol..

Any suggestions?

muzzle79 said:
Odd issue with my 2407, I cannot seem to get any of the battlefield series of games to boot, BF2, bf2142 beta etc. In case of the beta is flashed to a black screen as if about to load the intros etc and then its back to the desktop. I'm running it on a 6600gt (i know not that great a card- i've been away for 9months and i'm moving in two weeks so it'll have to do for a few more weeks.) I can boot many other games like hl2 etc (terrible tearing though.)
I had planned on setting the mon res to the same as the 2005fpw i was using before and using the 1:1 feature (black bars all around) to compensate. Still no luck.

I'm frustrated right now, update all drivers, windows etc.. i'm about to give up and go back to some xbox 360 until i move lol..

Any suggestions?
I had the same problem, but it also happened with nfs underground 2 and nfs:mw. All other games worked fine. Guess its an issue with EA games.

Ordered my 2407 9-1 and got it today, Rev A02
I have yet to see any banding, If someone would provide my lazy ass with a good gradient pic, I'll take a closer look. No dead pixel, HUGE and so far, Sweet. :D

I have an A02 and I get crazy bad lag when I play COD 2... I slide my mouse across the pad only for it to catch up a good half second later. However, I have hardly any lag in Windows. I'm running a 7950 GX2 with the latest nvidia drivers. Any idea what's going on or if there is a fix?

I know that sometimes i have an issue or two, but when i hit auto adjust the screen goes back to normal. This is usually the case when i play a game that tries to change resolution.

so give that a whirl. I don't really have any problems with mouse lag and i have a 6600gt.

Pretzel said:
I have an A02 and I get crazy bad lag when I play COD 2... I slide my mouse across the pad only for it to catch up a good half second later. However, I have hardly any lag in Windows. I'm running a 7950 GX2 with the latest nvidia drivers. Any idea what's going on or if there is a fix?

Have you tried any other games? Also, look in your settings and see if any kind of mouse filtering or smoothing is enabled; that can sometimes cause that kind of lag as well. Also check to see if any new mouse drivers are available.

Dell.ca has it for $729 CND right now. Lowest it has ever been including any sales they've ever had.

Just waiting fo the A03 to be widely shipped and confirmed.

I play a lot of Warcraft 3 and have an ATI X800XL. Does anyone know if the 2407 Still has a problem with 16x12 images being scaled to 19x12 even if you want it to stay 16x12?

The fixed aspect ratio issue at 1600*1200 is still unresolved with A03. I have also an ATI card and it is not possible with the current drivers to force games to run at fixed aspect ratio.

So how does the A03 fare compared to the A02? Better? Worse? Is it widely shipped yet meaning if I order one today from Dell, Ill get an A03 or are there A02 still being shipped? Thanks.

DangerIsGo said:
So how does the A03 fare compared to the A02? Better? Worse? Is it widely shipped yet meaning if I order one today from Dell, Ill get an A03 or are there A02 still being shipped? Thanks.

How do you get a reliable answer to that question? You need a tally of those who ordered one from the date they first announced the a03 and see the average.

What's the point anyway. The A03 are still plagued with problems it seems. WHAT THE FUCK, DELL?

This is so disappointing.

I just got an A03..

I cant really notice any color banding issues (dvi/32bit) it seems better then my A02 which had some issues but nothing too noticable.

Daggah said:
It doesn't affect NORMAL EVERY DAY USE unless you spend all your time in photoshop looking at gradients!

:rolleyes:
Exactly! Some of you guys are ridiculous...When the 2005fpw came out I was one of the firsts to own. I remember everyone complaining of backlight bleeding! Well after my own research I saw no bleeding and the bleeding I saw from most was when staring at a black screen...how many times do you people do this?

:D I swear the monitor is not 100% perfect however it is still an excellent display for the price! I just paid $599 for mine.

nobleed2005fpw.jpg

That is no bleed on my 2005fpw

Reviews for the BenQ FP241W are starting to come in and they are outstanding. Well have to wait and see what real users think, but this may be the answer to all the problems with the 2407...

I have 2 coming, one came today and Made in Mexico A03........Now the big problem is Which to keep. The 37" Westy or the Dell.......Man decisions SUCK! The westy looks SO MUCH bigger :)

Mac

a ronin said:
Dell.ca has it for $729 CND right now. Lowest it has ever been including any sales they've ever had.

Just waiting fo the A03 to be widely shipped and confirmed.
I got mine delivered frm Dell.ca, ordered it during the $729 promotion day. Was contemplating between this or the BenqFP241W but at $729 it was tough not to jump on it. The Benq would have cost me $220 more. This Dell is an A03 mfg aug'06. I have another friend who ordered it same day as mine and he got an A03 too.

As for the banding issues: On desktop mode (DVI) theres no banding...but on Gaming and Multimedia mode its still there. I havent tested for vertical banding but I'm assuming the same result with the horizontal. I tried movies and games on gaming and dekstop mode and didnt find any appreciable advantage over desktop mode so I'm keeping it at desktop mode.

I have a 2405 as well too and intial impressions comparing the two are the 2407 is a much better model (if you keep to desktop mode). The 2405 had more twinkling (2407 has some too but not nearly as bad as the 2405) and the OSD was very limited. The 2407's OSD menu is 100% better allowing for adjustments that the 2405 was severely lacking in.

Also the colors on the 2407 dont wash out when viewed a little to the side unlike the 2405 where colors on it will appear wash out at even slight angles.

One thing I noticed was the green spectrum on the 2407 was a bit more pronounced. After some calibration everything just looks great on it :)

Hope this helps for anyone contemplating ordering one of these from dell.ca.

it's so hard to decide what to do with all these claims, some A03 owners claim no improvement others say its perfect. I orderdn mine last week and upon arrival I reallized it was a A02 even after the sales person confirmed that i would indeed recieve an A03 it's upsetting because while they are willing to give me a refund they want me to ship it back at my expense.

the one I have now has 3 stuck pixels, I don't know if i wanna run the chance of getting and A03 with potentially more dead/stuck pixels. how are you displays with the pixels?

theDeviL said:
the one I have now has 3 stuck pixels, I don't know if i wanna run the chance of getting and A03 with potentially more dead/stuck pixels. how are you displays with the pixels?
That sux. I think even one dead/stuck pixel would eat at me.
I was lucky - zero dead pixels. My 2405 was the same also. However my friend who got the 2407 RevA03 has one stuck pixel.

You might want to try this utility that supposedly could unstuck pixels..it was posted on the dell support forums. I've never tried it myself but if it screws up your monitor even more at least you'll have a more legitimate reason to get a replacement ;)
dell support forums said:
Go here http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Dead-Pixel-Buddy-Download-32638.html to get Dead Pixel Buddy 1.1
Extract and run dbl.exe.
Click Time Cycle and let it run. Every 10 seconds it will change the color. The longer you let it cycle through the colors, the more chance it will have to unstick the pixel

Morphy said:
I got mine delivered frm Dell.ca, ordered it during the $729 promotion day. Was contemplating between this or the BenqFP241W but at $729 it was tough not to jump on it. The Benq would have cost me $220 more. This Dell is an A03 mfg aug'06. I have another friend who ordered it same day as mine and he got an A03 too.

As for the banding issues: On desktop mode (DVI) theres no banding...but on Gaming and Multimedia mode its still there. I havent tested for vertical banding but I'm assuming the same result with the horizontal. I tried movies and games on gaming and dekstop mode and didnt find any appreciable advantage over desktop mode so I'm keeping it at desktop mode.

I have a 2405 as well too and intial impressions comparing the two are the 2407 is a much better model (if you keep to desktop mode). The 2405 had more twinkling (2407 has some too but not nearly as bad as the 2405) and the OSD was very limited. The 2407's OSD menu is 100% better allowing for adjustments that the 2405 was severely lacking in.

Also the colors on the 2407 dont wash out when viewed a little to the side unlike the 2405 where colors on it will appear wash out at even slight angles.

One thing I noticed was the green spectrum on the 2407 was a bit more pronounced. After some calibration everything just looks great on it :)

Hope this helps for anyone contemplating ordering one of these from dell.ca.
This is damn good to know. Thanks! I might pick me up a 2407 now. I can't stand the damn washing out of colors while I read this forum and many others that have pure black backgrounds. It stinks, big time. It easily annoys me too! I'm glad they fixed that!!!

Back