Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

vissione, thanks for the information. The suspicions about PS3 seem promising.

One thing though. When the monitor is playing ball and accepting 1920x1080/1080p over DVI or VGA, will it happily display the picture in the 1:1 scaling mode with small borders top and bottom? If it doesn't then there'd be a qualiy loss when the 1080p picture gets stretched vertically to 1200 pixels, surely.

happycat said:
vissione, thanks for the information. The suspicions about PS3 seem promising.

One thing though. When the monitor is playing ball and accepting 1920x1080/1080p over DVI or VGA, will it happily display the picture in the 1:1 scaling mode with small borders top and bottom? If it doesn't then there'd be a qualiy loss when the 1080p picture gets stretched vertically to 1200 pixels, surely.

Yes, the monitor has its own hardware for 1:1 pixel mapping so you'll get 60px black bars on the top and bottom of the screen with 1080p or 720p in 2:1. You can also zoom and get the stretched image if you want.

Thanks. I hope this doesn't sound rude, but does the 1:1 mode definitely work with 1080p sources? I think I recall reading people say that the 1:1 option became not selectable when receiving 1080p and the monitor forced a stretch to 1920x1200. Even though 1:1 worked with other signals.

When I chose 1920x1080 in Windows (I can't remember if this was on my ATI card or my nVidia card though, I think it was on the ATI card, which wouldn't support proper aspect ratio scaling in drivers anyway), the monitor displayed it in 16:9, without stretching.

happycat said:
Thanks. I hope this doesn't sound rude, but does the 1:1 mode definitely work with 1080p sources? I think I recall reading people say that the 1:1 option became not selectable when receiving 1080p and the monitor forced a stretch to 1920x1200. Even though 1:1 worked with other signals.

Only time 1:1 doesn't work is anything with a vertical resolution of 1200. Unfortunately someone at Dell forgot that 1600x1200 exists, so you can't select 1:1 and get a 4:3 image with black bars on the sides. This is a logic error in the firmware and it hasn't and probably will not be fixed. It works for everything else.

How's the input lag on the A03? Colors out of Box (and does it come with any programs it comes with to help calibrate it ala Samsung MagicTune)?

Thanks in advance!

Man, I just do not know what to think about this monitor showing 1920x1080 over DVI at 1:1 with small borders.

vissione above assures me that it works fine, but look at these thread on the Dell forum.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=66347
(spearsd's reply) http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=64730

They say that it is not possible and it forces a stretch to full screen. There are other posts on the Dell forum that say the same.

What's the true answer? :( :mad:

im kinda torn betwen the this dell,the 24" acer and the new benq,hows the input lag compared to the other 2?

Has anyone taken a look at dell new layout design for its website regarding their monitors. I think they are starting to feel pressure and trying to make their monitors more attractive. If that can make their monitors as well as the design on website then they would have a winner
Dell Monitors

happycat said:
Man, I just do not know what to think about this monitor showing 1920x1080 over DVI at 1:1 with small borders.

vissione above assures me that it works fine, but look at these thread on the Dell forum.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=66347
(spearsd's reply) http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=64730

They say that it is not possible and it forces a stretch to full screen. There are other posts on the Dell forum that say the same.

What's the true answer? :( :mad:

I have seen my 2407 do 1080p without stretching.

So I got my 2407WFP A03 yesterday and tested hooking up my xbox360 with the VGA cable and the component cable. Why on earth does the component look so crappy? So i'm stuck with only 720P using the VGA cable? I'd like 1080i with the component, but I don't think it's happening.

Has anyone been able to use the component cable and get a decent picture?

matt-helm said:
So I got my 2407WFP A03 yesterday and tested hooking up my xbox360 with the VGA cable and the component cable. Why on earth does the component look so crappy? So i'm stuck with only 720P using the VGA cable? I'd like 1080i with the component, but I don't think it's happening.

first thing i thought when i just read this, is why didnt you read this thread? EVERYONE says that component is CRAP on this monitor. Send it back and get the Benq FP241W!

fusionrs said:
This monitor is amazing...

Yes it is,

This monitor works great if you hook it up to your computer. The component isn't as nice though, but I don't have to use it so it doesn't matter to me :)

matt-helm said:

I had to fiddle with the brightness, contrast, and saturation settings to get a usable/playable picture. I know that the monitor will scale 1280x720 to 16:9 in VGA but not 1920x1080 so if you wanna play 360 then use VGA at 720p because it can be aspect scaled. I tried it using the windows desktop and it worked so it should work for the 360.

I'm using component and after tweaking it is pretty close to VGA I think, I played DOA4 and it looked great, as good as VGA IMO. The reason I use component is because I have a PAL XBOX360 and so if I want to play some old xbox 1 games I can't because VGA doesn't support PAL-50 (50hz) only PAL-60 (60hz).

EDIT: I've noticed that when I play widescreen DVDs on the 360 that it doesn't get stretched to it's original proportion but is kept at 4:3...I dunno why that happens.

Don't worry about that.... when the fall update for 360 comes it will support 1080p over vga so I think VGA is a better choice anyways.

matt-helm said:

I was aware of the problems with component, I just wondered if anyone was able to get a decent picture out of it.. cause i sure wasn't! :)

The vga is pretty good.. i had my xbox360 hooked up to a Sony Bravia 32" so the picture was fantastic. I was also using a FW900 24" CRT that looked pretty damn good as well.

Hey all, new here!

I have fially narrowed it down - this is the monitor I WANT. Now I just need the funds :rolleyes:

What do you guys think of it coming down in price before xmas? if so how much?

I read on the Dell forums that some guy reckons it'll come down the end of this month, not sure if it will.

I'm hoping it'll come down to £450 say cut off £90.

matt-helm said:
I was aware of the problems with component, I just wondered if anyone was able to get a decent picture out of it.. cause i sure wasn't! :)

The vga is pretty good.. i had my xbox360 hooked up to a Sony Bravia 32" so the picture was fantastic. I was also using a FW900 24" CRT that looked pretty damn good as well.

I think I got a decent picture out of component though you have to sit back from the screen not to notice the lack of image quality.

EDIT: I played DOA4 over component and it still looks great same with COD2. The image is clear just that it's dark (when on default settings) so I had to change the brightness, contrast, sharpness, and saturation levels to get something that's playable.

Sharpness: 40
Brightness: 56
Contrast: 62
Saturation: 70

That's what I've set it too. The only thing that I don't like is that in component it crops a bit from the top, bottom, and sides while VGA @ 1280x720 doesn't do that at all. I can't use VGA because it's being used by the PC.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone reading this has a Mac Pro with a x1900xt on it. I just got the Dell and using a DVI cable the ATI card will not detect the monitor. Going to VGA and everything works great. The monitor seems find and the card with my old CRT worked great. Its the strangest thing, I am not sure why it is not working any ideas? Anyone one else had an issue with a Dell 2407 and a DVI connection?

I'm on a windows PC and I got DVI working but not using it because its highest resolution is 1600x1200, not what I wanted.

so to sum things up ...

you woudn't suggest buying this monitor if one's intention is to hook it up with a PS3?

but it is a very good monitor when used on a PC

do yu think my system [signature] will be able to play games on this monitor without any problem?

and what are your real thought about using this display with a PS3?

thanks!

|Leviathan| said:
so to sum things up ...

you woudn't suggest buying this monitor if one's intention is to hook it up with a PS3?

but it is a very good monitor when used on a PC

do yu think my system [signature] will be able to play games on this monitor without any problem?

and what are your real thought about using this display with a PS3?

thanks!

Well, you don't have to use component for the PS3 that's for sure. Since the PS3 has got an HDMI output, just get an HDMI to DVI-D cable and hook up the PS3 via DVI and set it to either 720p or 1080p (if the monitor can handle 1080p). Don't forget to aspect scale it.

big_kel said:
Well, you don't have to use component for the PS3 that's for sure. Since the PS3 has got an HDMI output, just get an HDMI to DVI-D cable and hook up the PS3 via DVI and set it to either 720p or 1080p (if the monitor can handle 1080p). Don't forget to aspect scale it.
aaa good, so there is another option apart from Vga and composite [which were the 2 options that i found listed in this thread] i guess those 2 are the one's offered on an x360

while ps3 will offer hdmi output - giving me the option to connect it through dvi by a connector cable

that is good news :D [not for myself since i dont plan on buying any console ever, but it will certainly lighten up my freinds day]

thanks indeed!

what about my pc, will it be able to display modest graphics on that type of resolution?

specs [for those that don't view signatures]:
· AMD 64 X2 [939] 4800+ ·· MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum ·· HyperX 2Gb PC3200 ·· XFX Geforce 7800GSOC ·· Creative X-Fi ·· Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 700W RMS ·· 200Gb Sata WD ·· 2 x 80Gb Raid 0 WD ·· 2 x Pioneer 16x DVD+-RW Dual Layer ·· Tt Shark Atx Full ·· Tt 500W PurePower TWV 12V ·· Logitech MX3100 Combo ·· Viper DiamondBack Plasma LE ·· Viewsonic VP191b LCD 8ms ·· Sennheiser HD 485

I WANT THIS MONITOR GOD FRIGGEN DAMN IT!!!

Sorry for that, each day that goes by with me not having one of these makes me angry :mad: , wish I had a job :(, might noy the parents :D.

the gamer said:
I WANT THIS MONITOR GOD FRIGGEN DAMN IT!!!

Sorry for that, each day that goes by with me not having one of these makes me angry :mad: , wish I had a job :(, might noy the parents :D.

There are too many major flaws with this. I wouldn't trade my Dell 2405FPW for this 2407WFP! If you cannot afford this anytime soon, just get a smaller LCD or a really good CRT for much less (anywhere between $100 and $300 on Ebay or Craigslist.org).

Bo_Fox said:
There are too many major flaws with this. I wouldn't trade my Dell 2405FPW for this 2407WFP! If you cannot afford this anytime soon, just get a smaller LCD or a really good CRT for much less (anywhere between $100 and $300 on Ebay or Craigslist.org).
I would have to disagree. I have owned both the 2405 and 2407(rev A03) and the latter has more positives over the 2405. The 2405 viewing angles were terrible. Anything over 5 degrees angle and the color gets very washed out..whereas with the 2407 it's no way near as bad. Thats my biggest anoyance with the 2405 - I have to basically keep the monitor dead on centre to get an acceptable image. Not to mention major twinkling on the 2405...reading these forums on the 2405 is clear evidence of that and on the 2407 the effect is noticiably lessened. Also the 2405 has higher input lag compared to the 2407 - as much as 2x more. The only thing the 2405 did better was the black levels and thats inherent to the type of panel used. As for banding, the 2405 has no banding, the 2407's desktop mode is the only mode without perceptible banding so I would call it even there (2405 has only one mode). And whats up with the 2405's OSD in DVI? practicaly useless. If an lcd came out today with an OSD the same functionality as the 2405 in DVI ( translation: zero functionality) it would be laughed at.

I think the reason the 2405 got so many accolades and justifiably so were because when it first came out it was the first 24" that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Nowadays things are much different.

I will more likely get used to the issues this monitor has right now, has long has I don't see any real terrible banding, or real crappy component image then I deal with it, anyway by the time I get one there more likely be a A04-A05 version out, or a brand new series altogether.

I just got one, rev. A03, and it's perfect...no dead pixels, banding, etc.

I stare at it a lot.

Greetings from Greece.

Having read almost every post in this forum during the last 2 months, I have finally got my rig up and running. I'd like to thank all of the posters who really helped me decide, even without knowing it. These are A03 revision.

home5.jpg

home3.jpg

home4.jpg

home2.jpg

Well, i just ordered a revision A02 (since i'm in Australia and revision A03 hasn't hit our shores yet) and i'm wondering if the banding is almost gone. I've heard that on the A02 horizontal banding is not there in desktop mode, but there is vertical banding. Is there any verticle banding on the A03? Worst case scenario i will have to return it, or swap it for an A03 when it comes out i guess.

What happens when you set your video card to 1920x1080? Can you make it display black bars top and bottom using either DVI or VGA?

kimnkk said:
I've heard that on the A02 horizontal banding is not there in desktop mode, but there is vertical banding. Is there any verticle banding on the A03?

I can confirm that there is no banding testing this link in desktop mode. However there is banding when set on Multimedia or Gaming display setting.

I connect through DVI.

sethk said:
What happens when you set your video card to 1920x1080? Can you make it display black bars top and bottom using either DVI or VGA?

It scales to 1:1 with no black bars using DVI. Can't see how to change it through the menu since I can't access the setting (it's greyed out).

Can someone comment or post a picture of what a HD TV tuner looks like plugged into component? Is the contrast problem fixed up in rev A03, or isn't it as obvious when you've got a TV tuner plugged in as opposed to Xbox 360?

Edit: Also, does S-Video and composite exhibit the same problems as component?

Back