Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

Shocky said:
ACC in the factory menu doesnt effect anything, it certainly doesnt effect banding.

That website was just an example as it was the same website the forum was on, and there’s nothing wrong with the image itself, I'm currently using a 244T and there’s no banding at all on that page or any other using this. Also tried it using a VX922 and still no visible banding and that’s a 6bit panel.

As for people getting refunds, I know two people personally who have bought it and returned it and I read allot of forums, and most people seem to be returning them. Some are sticking it out in hope of a fixed version.. You’re the only person I’ve encountered that defends it so blindly to this extent.. Other users who are satisfied at least acknowledge there is a problem and don’t go around trying to persuade others its not noticeable..

So when are we really going to get to see sample pics of a real world applications with banding problems? I need to see real proof...i really don't trust users reviews now a days (bandwagon and !!!!!!s). All talks and no shows? The way i see, there are no better monitors out there at this price. The 244T is not even worth it at this price. Perhaps the next generation "24 will be better?

aws6000 said:
I know that the color issues won't be resolved. I simply don't know if it's worth the effort to return for a single bad pixel. I assume I will need to pay return shipping costs. I'm just wondering what my odds aree of every receiving a display without bad pixels. Decisions, decisions...
Dell will provide the UPS labels (they email them to you) and you call UPS or whatever and they come to the door to pick it up. Pretty painless actually.

So i am going to pick up a 24" Dell either 2405 or 2407 and at this point (prob at the end of the month/early september, I need to know if the 2407's issues have been fixed to the majority? Are there a few slipping out w/ banding issues or have they been resolved for the most part? Ive read reviews in comp magazines saying the 2407 is damn near perfect but not according to people on these forums. I know the 2405 is pretty much perfect w/out HDCP but I would want to get something new with a full warranty. I know the 2405 is a great monitor and for a little more than what I can pay for one in the forums, I can get a brand new 2407...now the question remains, are the 2407's banding issue fixed in the A02? I know there is someone thats going to say NO but im talking about for the most part....about what % of A02 2407's sold experience banding?

I took this big of a black-white vertical gradiant. The banding is apparent. This is an A02 that I got in the mail today. Banding is apparent in photographs as well. This picture was taken with a Canon Rebel XT: http://media.brucknerandbruckner.com/IMG_0008.jpg. I'm going to shoot off an e-mail to my sales rep in small buisness and see if he knows anything about an A03.

Glitchwolf said:
I took this big of a black-white vertical gradiant. The banding is apparent. This is an A02 that I got in the mail today. Banding is apparent in photographs as well. This picture was taken with a Canon Rebel XT: http://media.brucknerandbruckner.com/IMG_0008.jpg. I'm going to shoot off an e-mail to my sales rep in small buisness and see if he knows anything about an A03.

What photograph? All i see is blank gradient screen. I don't know about you, but i know i won't be sitting in front of my monitor staring at a blank screen. Thanks for the effort though.

glitchwolf said:

Can we have a similar horizontal gradient picture??? maybe with different colour gradients. Your efforts are greatly appreciated :)

Glitchwolf said:

There are no plans for A03 currently so you might have to wait a while..

up4528 said:
Was the video card set to 32bit (16.7 colors)? Doesn't look like it.

Simalar effect yes but no that is caused by the monitor not his gfx card, i've noticed that in games also, some effects look like there in 16bit on the 2407 which isnt great to look at.

Harsh said:
Can we have a similar horizontal gradient picture??? maybe with different colour gradients. Your efforts are greatly appreciated :)

Horizontal banding was fixed on the A01..

I was just curious as to whether the ubs ports on the 2407WFP are powered by the power supply in the monitor itself or is one usb upstream supplying power to the 4 USB2.0 ports as well as the card reader?

As a side note, I recieved my 2407WFP today...It does look very good. The banding is obvious in multimedia and gaming mode, I think I will leave it in desktop mode all the time. Games look really really good. There is sllight ghosting, but your not gonna get away from that on an LCD, except maybe the 2-3ms variety which don't come this big. I upgraded from a Hyundai L90D+, I think the color accuracy, and professional aspects of the Hyundai are a little better than the 2407WFP, the response time for gaming is fine, the L90D+ was 8ms, while this being 6ms...I can't really tell much difference, they are both fine for FPS and slower games like MMORPG's. I have tested this one on BF2, HL2/EP1, and WoW already, looks very nice.

Thought I'd throw that additional info in, but what I really want to know is are the USB ports powered from the PC, or from the monitor's internal power supply.

Thanks

I had a chance to take a few more pictures:

-Rainbow Graidant
http://media.brucknerandbruckner.com/IMG_0026.jpg

-Black Wallpaper
http://media.brucknerandbruckner.com/IMG_0028.jpg

-White Wallpaper
http://media.brucknerandbruckner.com/IMG_0029.jpg

The black and white screens are perfect. The brightness is the same all over the screen, no backlight leaks whatsoever. Most of the banding is apparent in any colour-to-black gradiant. In digital photos you can see "mini-banding", which is like little pieces of broken gradiants all over. I can't get a picture of it because I don't have the right lense.

Anyone want pictures of something else? I don't have an Xbox360, so no component stuff.

P.S. Sorry the pictures are out of focus, I can't find my tripod right now.

Glitchwolf said:
I had a chance to take a few more pictures:

-Rainbow Graidant
http://media.brucknerandbruckner.com/IMG_0026.jpg

-Black Wallpaper
http://media.brucknerandbruckner.com/IMG_0028.jpg

-White Wallpaper
http://media.brucknerandbruckner.com/IMG_0029.jpg

The black and white screens are perfect. The brightness is the same all over the screen, no backlight leaks whatsoever. Most of the banding is apparent in any colour-to-black gradiant. In digital photos you can see "mini-banding", which is like little pieces of broken gradiants all over. I can't get a picture of it because I don't have the right lense.

Anyone want pictures of something else? I don't have an Xbox360, so no component stuff.

P.S. Sorry the pictures are out of focus, I can't find my tripod right now.

Can you have a "real" picture please with people and landscapes?

I just got my 2407WFP yesterday and i have no banding on the desktop mode. If i switch to multimedia or gaming mode i can see banding. It is worst on the gaming mode.

If I might butt in and make a small suggestion...

It would probably be a good idea to not use a lossy format like jpg to use in these shots of the monitor screens. It would be more difficult to see what is banding by the monitor and what is banding by compression artifacts. I'd use something lossless like 24-bit LZW TIFF files instead. Of course, it might be that digital cameras can't handle that (I wouldn't know off-hand as I have a crappy 8-year old digital camera). The ideal case would be to use a regular film camera, develop the picture (like they did in olden times :) and scan it to a lossless format.

So the banding does still exist in multimedia and gaming modes but not really in desktop mode?

jnelso99 said:
If I might butt in and make a small suggestion...

It would probably be a good idea to not use a lossy format like jpg to use in these shots of the monitor screens. It would be more difficult to see what is banding by the monitor and what is banding by compression artifacts. I'd use something lossless like 24-bit LZW TIFF files instead. Of course, it might be that digital cameras can't handle that (I wouldn't know off-hand as I have a crappy 8-year old digital camera). The ideal case would be to use a regular film camera, develop the picture (like they did in olden times :) and scan it to a lossless format.

I would of used PNG but there were no artifacts in the picture? Atleast I couldn't see them. I can retake the black one, but I would have to do it tomorrow. Blacks are perfect on this monitor though.

DangerIsGo said:
So the banding does still exist in multimedia and gaming modes but not really in desktop mode?

Sgt_Strider said:
I'm really confused. Is the banding issue really fixed or not?

Banding is NOT fixed in desktop mode with DVI.

I just got one of these LCDs and it is fantastic! Everything looks so much better than my old CRT (obviously). I am currently using a single 6800GT PCI-E that is OCed to 6800 Ultra speeds. Currently I play mostly Guild Wars, CS Source, and Prey. I have been running Guild Wars just fine with everything maxed @ 1920x1200 with acceptable framerates, but Source and Prey go below 30fps at times which is dog slow. My question is what is a good video card to use as a reasonably priced bridge to the DX10 cards? I want to be able to play the games I mentioned at no lower than 60fps with 4x AA and 8x AF @ 1920x1200. I'm thinking I should get a 7900GT, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I was doing a bit of research on cards and it seems like to achieve the framerates I want to hit I will need a 512MB card. I will probably end up getting the 7900gt 512MB from EVGA. Is this a good idea?

Aright, i took some pics of the different setting. The monitor is hooked up via VGA, not DVI at the moment. I didn't edit the pictures, i just took them right off the camera. The camera saves as jpegs, but i think they look pretty accurate as it didn't put much compression on them. The images are about 300k.

2407 WFP Desktop Mode

2407 WFP Multimedia Mode

2407 WFPGaming Mode

Just for fun i took a picture of my old laptop screen. Right now i don't have my new computer built so the 2407 is hooked up to my laptop at the moment. Take a look at how nasty it's banding is.

Inspiron 7500 Laptop Banding

In conclusion, as you can see the desktop mode is the best. It has pretty much zero banding that i can see. The other modes it is very apparent. Even if some might consider desktop mode to have some banding, it is more than good enough for me, i don't see any. I don't think i'll be doing anything that's so critical that i'll notice it in desktop mode. If i were doing stuff that critical i'd probably have bought a CRT or somethin.

Also, i'm sitting here going back and forth between the picture i took and the gradient i took a picture of and i think the camera did add it's own little banding in it's jpeg compression. Oh well, that's the best i can do right now picture wise.

Harsh said:
Can you please post a pic ...

No, Sent all my 2407s back to dell for a refund..

yaric, banding effects desktop mode with DVI, VGA is fine... This is if you think using VGA on a 24" monitor at 1920*1200 is fine...

I don't, results in weird wavy effects in games....I think its close the max bandwidth on VGA or something.

trudude said:
Edit: I was doing a bit of research on cards and it seems like to achieve the framerates I want to hit I will need a 512MB card. I will probably end up getting the 7900gt 512MB from EVGA. Is this a good idea?

At that price, just pick up a 79GTX

Yaric, I can definitely notice the banding in the multi/gaming modes and even some in the desktop mode. Would you be able to take a noticible pic of it in a game? Like the sky, or a flashlight beam against the wall in the dark? Something where you think banding would exist. Thanks.

DangerIsGo said:
At that price, just pick up a 79GTX

Yaric, I can definitely notice the banding in the multi/gaming modes and even some in the desktop mode. Would you be able to take a noticible pic of it in a game? Like the sky, or a flashlight beam against the wall in the dark? Something where you think banding would exist. Thanks.

Sure, it'll be a little while though. I still have to wait on my processor and case to finish building my new computer. My laptop can't handle any game past star craft... it's a PIII 500
:eek:

yaric said:
Sure, it'll be a little while though. I still have to wait on my processor and case to finish building my new computer. My laptop can't handle any game past star craft... it's a PIII 500
:eek:

Howd you get the other pics though? Were they from your PIII too?

DangerIsGo said:
Howd you get the other pics though? Were they from your PIII too?

Yeah, the monitor is hooked up to my laptop at the moment. I just used photoshop to make a gradient.

jimsbond007 said:
I was just curious as to whether the ubs ports on the 2407WFP are powered by the power supply in the monitor itself or is one usb upstream supplying power to the 4 USB2.0 ports as well as the card reader?

As a side note, I recieved my 2407WFP today...It does look very good. The banding is obvious in multimedia and gaming mode, I think I will leave it in desktop mode all the time. Games look really really good. There is sllight ghosting, but your not gonna get away from that on an LCD, except maybe the 2-3ms variety which don't come this big. I upgraded from a Hyundai L90D+, I think the color accuracy, and professional aspects of the Hyundai are a little better than the 2407WFP, the response time for gaming is fine, the L90D+ was 8ms, while this being 6ms...I can't really tell much difference, they are both fine for FPS and slower games like MMORPG's. I have tested this one on BF2, HL2/EP1, and WoW already, looks very nice.

Thought I'd throw that additional info in, but what I really want to know is are the USB ports powered from the PC, or from the monitor's internal power supply.

Thanks

Bump....

also...about the banding, it's horrible in the alternative modes, but in desktop it is minimal, but there, very minimal though. i set the 2407 up in dual configuration with my hyundai l90d+ and pulled a gradient across from one to the other and there is also slightly visible banding on the hyundai, so... i'm saying this because i used the hyundai for a year without noticing banding, and now i see it because i'm uber paranoid from reading these forums. if you like the idea of teh 2407 and your not a professional digital media editor, buy it, you will be pleased, construction is excellent, the adjustments to angle/rotation/height is effortless you can really do it with two fingers, and the extras are great (usb, card reader)

so... how about that usb power question??

I think there might be some VERY noticible banding in the game Titan Quest, when you are in a dungeon.(it may be a game issue though) It looks like it occurs with VGA and DVI Does else see this?

Got my 2407 last friday and i dont know about you guys but this moniter is frigin sweet......for just the average internet guy and gamer now and then.....you dont notice nothing in this banding and all this other junk you hear about....people pick things apart way to much and i think for the price for the size and what you get from this moniter this thing is frigin one kick ass setup.......

If you are thinking about geting this moniter and are all concerned about what people are saying if you are an average gamer and internet user and basic surfing, watching videos, and kickin some ass in some fps games....this bad boy is the display to get!!!

I got it in and have had no issues with it at all...no dead pixels got this for $685 on sale and 2% off full price for applying and charging this moniter with there preferred charge card.

Its one kick ass display and man its frigin huge totally worth the money....if you have been thinking about it just give it a try unless your a grpahics guy and do major color and photo stuff you wont be dissapointed at all trust me!!!!

I must also echo the previous poster's glorification of this beauty. Now there is banding... minimal horizontal while the vertical banding is heavy, and at times distracting, but the areas it affects me are minimal. It is evident on the backgrounds of web pages, and only when I am looking for it.

I use my monitor mainly to watch movies and surf the web, and for this purpose I swear this is a godsend. I can have two browser windows open at once or one filling half the screen and a large video window on the other side. Before on my 19" to surf and watch at the same time was difficult and annoying as I had to constantly move the damn player around to avoid blocking what I was doing on the pages.

I too was using a Hyundai L90D+ and the blacks on this thing are, in a word, DEEP, compared to the smaller display.

So far no complaints and well worth the investment.

This is a good question: Does anyone have (or had) a 2405 and is/was able to compare it directly with a 2407? Like side by side? Which one would you recommend? How are the colors? Any visual problems comparing the two (besides banding w/ 2407)?

You'll never satisfy the anti-dell flamers that troll every internet forum, much like you'll never satisfy an amd / intel / nvidia / ati hater. The best you can do is ignore them and mod report if they can't take a hint and keep spamming the same crap over and over.

Now if the banding is really such an issue to you, return it for a refund, pony up the money and get a better moniter or STFU. It is not clearly visible in desktop mode unless you actively promote situations to show how evident it can be.

DarkStryke said:
You'll never satisfy the anti-dell flamers that troll every internet forum, much like you'll never satisfy an amd / intel / nvidia / ati hater. The best you can do is ignore them and mod report if they can't take a hint and keep spamming the same crap over and over.

Now if the banding is really such an issue to you, return it for a refund, pony up the money and get a better moniter or STFU. It is not clearly visible in desktop mode unless you actively promote situations to show how evident it can be.

Thats actually funny, he goes on about haters and fanb0ys but clearly with that responce hes a dell fanb0y and obviously doesnt like hearing the facts about the 2407.. :D

People have a right to know the facts before buying, its up to them to decide whether or not its an issue for them or not.

DarkStryke said:

Who are you referring to? Shocky?

id be willing to give this monitor the chance (and save some money to pick up some more toys -60gb ipod, xbox360) BUT THE FACT IS, unlike the 'banding-is-fixed-no-it-isnt' debate. Quality over the component and other inputs SUCK. This has been listed many many times. Sure like it has been said before, if you are NOT looking for a multiple input display and dont think you will notice the B-word, give it a try. But some of us who want to hook up HDTV boxes, future or current gaming consoles and other accessories, it is NOT the way to go. End of story.

thenixhex311 said:
id be willing to give this monitor the chance (and save some money to pick up some more toys -60gb ipod, xbox360) BUT THE FACT IS, unlike the 'banding-is-fixed-no-it-isnt' debate. Quality over the component and other inputs SUCK. This has been listed many many times. Sure like it has been said before, if you are NOT looking for a multiple input display and dont think you will notice the B-word, give it a try. But some of us who want to hook up HDTV boxes, future or current gaming consoles and other accessories, it is NOT the way to go. End of story.

What about the component inputs on a 2405? How are they?

DangerIsGo said:
What about the component inputs on a 2405? How are they?

I've heard they are actually better than the 07 (i think) not sure though. SUCKS you cant get a new 2405 other than taking a chance on ebay, right? Dell only sells the refurbed i thought

Back