Official Crysis 2 Thread

They did the setting in a city cause consoles would not be able to render all trees, bushes, huts etc and all the destructibility crysis 1 had but who cares its still the best looking game right now and its running dx9 only.

Crysis 2 actually reminds me a lot of the two FEAR games, mostly due to the more confined environments and the increased amount of time indoors. Similar looking soldiers too.

It's growing on me since I've stopped trying to play it like the original Crysis and just take it for what it is. Fighting the aliens is definitely more rewarding this time around. I'll probably get this for PC down the track when I have a computer that actually meets minimum specs (apparently requires an 8800GT minimum).

I see what you are saying,

But so far, after giving it a bit more time (got to Times sq I think) it is just not the same. Personally I don't feel very in control of the game and enemies are thrown at you as are the kills so to say. The pace is just too fast to do any planning or to actually connect with the game properly.

As I say, similar to the latest cod games where the SP is just shit. Of course it's not as bad as latest CODs, but it is just constantly limiting in its gameplay - constantly throwing enemies at you to create a challenge. Okay they do move about, but it does not feel intelligent, rather moving about as targets at shooting galleries do.

It's just sad that things went this way.

As a game I'm enjoying this one more as I get further into it. While Crysis got worse the further you got, this one's getting better.
I think it's one of those things where hindsight is 20/20. Crysis was really only a truly great game (to me) for the first few levels...and that's where it was essentially a Far Cry sequel.
Production value on this one is also MUCH higher.
Oh yeah - for anyone else with mouse choppiness issues, grab the latest Advanced Options program and try playing with the Max FPS setting. Setting mine to 60FPS fixed all of my issues.

This game is very similiar to FEAR 1 and HALF LIFE 2, for me:).

Shooting reminds me to FEAR:). HALF LIFE 2 reminds me when i see enemies and tunnels:)

Overall , for me this is the best FPP whenever i was play:). On 2th place is FEAR 1 :)

So what is best to use for image quality, HDR or bloom with color grading? i dont really see much difference..

I'm very underwhelmed with the visuals. It heats the hell out of my video card but I'm just not getting that "WOW" reaction I got when I first cranked up Crysis 1. Even the "epic" scenes in NYC are just bland and the textures are nowhere near as exciting.

Eh, at least the AI isn't completely stupid this time around.

I'm very underwhelmed with the visuals. It heats the hell out of my video card but I'm just not getting that "WOW" reaction I got when I first cranked up Crysis 1. Even the "epic" scenes in NYC are just bland and the textures are nowhere near as exciting.

Eh, at least the AI isn't completely stupid this time around.

:confused:

You did not just say that?

You know what I miss the most? Tossing a grenade into a house and watching it blow up into a hundred pieces. They really gimped the physics engine in Crysis 2.

:confused:

You did not just say that?

You are again on of the few who thinks Crysis 1 had any AI at all ?

You know what I miss the most? Tossing a grenade into a house and watching it blow up into a hundred pieces. They really gimped the physics engine in Crysis 2.

Yes, because you know, concrete or steel & concrete buildings explode totally like wooden houses :).

The alien tissue integration into the nanosuit reminds me a lot of how Samus Aran became integrated with the X-Parasite in Metroid Fusion (GBA). Can anyone relate?

I really do like the idea a lot & it even has a bit of a Deus Ex spin to how you activate the enhancements. It's getting me antsy to play Deus Ex 3... :D

Every FPS should have a LedgeGrab mechanic. Seriously, how many times have you tried to find a way to jump up onto an eye-level ledge knowing full-well your character could just pull him/herself up?

Sigh ? Do you seriously consider as real throwing a grenade in a building built from concrete and explosion doing more harm than breaking windows and maybe doing minor damage to few walls and the interior of the room where it exploded ?

Sigh ? Do you seriously consider as real throwing a grenade in a building built from concrete and explosion doing more harm than breaking windows and maybe doing minor damage to few walls and the interior of the room where it exploded ?

Don't care if it was realistic or not. It's not about that. It's simply that it was FUN to actually blow stuff up into pieces. Nothing in Crysis 2 seems to budge. Everything seems like its glued to the floor and made out of adamantium. Tossing around grenades and explosives just don't satisfy like they did in Crysis 1.

Sigh is not an argument. If I had a dollar for every occasion I saw somebody write that word in a post at a forum I'd be rich.

Don't care if it was realistic or not. It's not about that. It's simply that it was FUN to actually blow stuff up into pieces. Nothing in Crysis 2 seems to budge. Everything seems like its glued to the floor and made out of adamantium. Tossing around grenades and explosives just don't satisfy like they did in Crysis 1.

Exactly, part of making a world more believable is making it dynamic and respond to the player, Crysis 2 is incredibly static, you can ram jeeps into small tents and it bounces off.

In Crysis you could drive a hummer into a shanty building and drive right through the thing and out the other side, taking all the contents with you, all the objects inside the house bouncing off your hood/windscreen and loads of debris just going everywhere. Putting C4 on a vehicle and ramming it inside a house then detonating it sending the house flying was extremely satisfying.

lol this game is artifacting on my gtx 580 : (

1 time of 30 minutes black or blue lines are flashing on my screen;;/////
in 2 lvl area.

I was sitting and watching monitor and yeah ...........30 minutes or 45 minutes max , i see black or blue bar flicker:( damned

M'God you fail.

I fail ? Do you really think a grenade can do any major structural damage to any building not made by bolts, but from steel & concrete (like the skycrapers and buldings in which the whole Crysis 2 game is situated). Because we are talking about grenades, right ? Not a box of C4 exploded at same time right ?

I fail ? Do you really think a grenade can do any major structural damage to any building not made by bolts, but from steel & concrete (like the skycrapers and buldings in which the whole Crysis 2 game is situated). Because we are talking about grenades, right ? Not a box of C4 exploded at same time right ?

... A high powered grenade, especially one made in 2023, can do tons of damage to just about anything.

But even then, Crysis 2 has a lot of little things that should be destructable, but aren't. All of the explosions are pre-rendered which is majorly disappointing. Everytime you blew up a car in Crysis 1 it was different. Shooting out the cars tires at high speeds would cause it to flip or veer out of control. All of that adds up and is definitely noticeably lacking in Crysis 2.

okay, just played through Crysis 2. Ending sucked and didnt seem like it ever hit a climax. Game seemed messy and not well put together. They tried to make it too movie like.

okay, just played through Crysis 2. Ending sucked and didnt seem like it ever hit a climax. Game seemed messy and not well put together. They tried to make it too movie like.

This is one of the things I liked about the game, and particularly stuck with me. That the game looks like you're in a movie, or watching one but can control it. Maybe the story is different, haven't played much of the game through, but visually it really looks like a movie - which I think is amazing.

Almost done the SP.
My machine was showing its age a few years back, but it plays Crysis 2 very well. Im pleased.
Game is fun, but what it lacks from the original can be a dealbreaker for some.
Despite the lack of destructible environments, the fact that I can play a new game that looks rather well on my old PC is enough to put a smile on my face.

Is there any word on when the DX11 patch will hit? I'm holding up on playing C2 until the patch.

Last edited:
Is there any word on when the DX11 patch will hit? I'm holding up on playing C2 until the patch.

I really doubt it will make all that much difference. If they were serious about DX11,it would have been used from the start in the PC version's development and included in the original release. This will be a hastily produced patch with minimal effects added to placate PC users. Too little,too late,Crytek can shove their patch where the sun doesn't shine.

If it were a DX11 patch that somehow added "fully or nearly destructable environments or items" that would turn some heads. Obviously that's not going to happen. ;)

I just don't think the eventual DX11 patch is going to be earth shattering, either.

If it were a DX11 patch that somehow added "fully or nearly destructable environments or items" that would turn some heads. Obviously that's not going to happen. ;)

I just don't think the eventual DX11 patch is going to be earth shattering, either.

Why would you say obviously? I would tend to agree but if this is indeed an nVidia funded effort there is this little thing called PhysX that I could see being thrown into this effort though of course that's never been mentioned from what I've seen. But of course with this crowd I could see more bitching about the use of a proprietary technology that added features more than the features not even being there. It's little wonder why Crytek didn't cater to the PC elitist crowd really. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Anyone waiting for DX11 before they begin playing is a fool. If you don't understand why, then there's no point in explaining it to you.

Anyone waiting for DX11 before they begin playing is a fool. If you don't understand why, then there's no point in explaining it to you.

Even if the difference is negligible, at least we (likely) won't be paying full 59.99 new release price.

Even if the difference is negligible, at least we (likely) won't be paying full 59.99 new release price.

That's true. By the time said patch ever shows up I suspect this game will be a bit lower in asking price from a number of retail and even digital outlets.

Why would you say obviously? I would tend to agree but if this is indeed an nVidia funded effort there is this little thing called PhysX that I could see being thrown into this effort though of course that's never been mentioned from what I've seen

Right. The bolded item basically is why I said "obviously."

We haven't seen or heard hide nor hair from anyone suggesting that kind of support is forthcoming.

But could it be done? That sure would add something to the game if it could.

But of course with this crowd I could see more bitching about the use of a proprietary technology that added features more than the features not even being there.

"Nvidia bought them off!" and so forth. ;) Anyone owning an ATI card would have some legit beef I would think.

It's little wonder why Crytek didn't cater to the PC elitist crowd really. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There's some legit complaints here, past the shrill whining, cacophany and suck my flaccid balls rants and such that I think go past nitpicky elitism myself and I'm saying this as someone that likes the game a lot and probably give it an 8/10.

"Nvidia bought them off!" and so forth. ;) Anyone owning an ATI card would have some legit beef I would think.

Sure I could understand that AMD folks would be upset but technically because nVidia IS paying them off, as in nVidia is paying for the DX 11 effort. I'm not a big fan of PhysX but at the same time companies HAVE to have a way to differentiate themselves and in the GPU business it can't just ALWAYS be about pure performance. While proprietary features cause lock out they also lead to a lot of innovation but PhysX probably isn't the best example of this.

There's some legit complaints here, past the shrill whining, cacophany and suck my flaccid balls rants and such that I think go past nitpicky elitism myself and I'm saying this as someone that likes the game a lot and probably give it an 8/10.

Of course there are legitimate complaints over the consolization of Crysis 2, it is plainly obvious and I too think its a great game would rate it at least in the same ballpark as you. I just think that PC gamers have to be a little realistic about the the market. Regardless of what one my think about piracy it's overall effect on PC game development is chilling. Crytek right or wrong thought it was a HUGE problem for them. To simply wash it off as no biggie just isn't being fair about it. You can't expect companies to build PC focused content, spend a lot on it and then end up giving away the game to many if not the bulk of people playing it. That's just not an environment that encourages risk taking. So Crytek focused on consoles because they thought that would be more profitable for them. I guess you could say that Crytek wasn't honest about the degree of consolization but then DX 11 version isn't out yet so the jury is still out on just how consolized Crysis 2 ends up being.

I bought the game a year before it came out and only paid $30. Just need to catch the right deals.

Back