Official Catalyst 5.2 Thread

I get major fps drop with them in HL2. In video stress test, used to have about 60fps, now 22.4. I think it's a bug...

And I JUST formatted 2 days ago... ugh.

The CATALYST™ Software Suite 5.2 introduces 3D setting options to the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER system tray. The shortcut allows the user to easily adjust their 3D settings without having to load the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER.

Best thing about the drivers to me.

Francois_C_N said:
I get major fps drop with them in HL2. In video stress test, used to have about 60fps, now 22.4. I think it's a bug...

See, I knew it wasn't me! I was like "wtf, does cs:s seem slower?". I'm going back to the omega 5.1s =/. Dunno about such a major drop though, but it did seem noticeably slower with these vs. the omega 5.1s I came off from.

edit: on furthur review it might had just been my imagination :j.

edit #2: so there really was a drop, just went back to omega 5.1s and its a lot faster in CS:S.

I dunno but this sucks lol :( a 40fps drop must be a bug lol :(
Meh we'll see in the next days if I'm the only one with this prob.

Here is a partial list of things fixed with this release:
Selecting the option; Enable Video Mode, results in the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER not being able to return to the default setting for the Enable Video Mode option.

i still cant get my desktop shortcuts to switch monitor profiles properly. once im in tv out, im stuck in tv out..not fixed yet ati.

Yeah, I nornally get 100.5 on the VST... but with 5.2 i got 88! So I was like hmmm and I went in to the 3d settings and switched the 3d and open gl settings vsync to always off and I got 101 fps!! yeah! .5 gain!

Ok, so i boot to safe mode, uninstall my 5.1s, restart, use driver cleaner pro 3 times, boot normally, install 5.2s, restart, everything is going good except when i tried the Video stress test in CS:S. It runs fine, i have it at 1280x1024, 2xAA, 8xAf with an X800 Pro. When it gets done i decided to see what my settings were, this is where it gets weird, it says my Hardware DirectX level is 8.1 but my softwawre version is 9.0!!! wtf is going on here and how can i change it. Please help.

fallguy said:
And I JUST formatted 2 days ago... ugh.

The CATALYST™ Software Suite 5.2 introduces 3D setting options to the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER system tray. The shortcut allows the user to easily adjust their 3D settings without having to load the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER.

Best thing about the drivers to me.

I wasn't gonna download these until I read your post. The tray icon rawks!! I've been waiting years for ATI to finally do this. Even if you just download these drivers for the tray icon, its totally worth it.

Yikes. It does fvck with HL2. :( 1280x960x32 @ 2x/8x on a 9800 pro @ XT+ was crawling with these drivers. This is unacceptable. Going back to the 5.1's I reckon. :)

ok, this is getting a little odd, i uninstalled the 5.2s and installed the Omega 5.1s, CS:S still says my hardware is running at DirectX 8.1. wtf, help please.

Also noticed the DNA 3.6.5.1a's are out, not like anyone cares. The Omega 2.6.05a, based on the 5.1's, are finally working, too.

Anyhow, I'll run some tests with these drivers like I did with the previous Catalyst 5.1's, and the DNA drivers. Results will be in sometime tomorrow.

So it turns out that when i reverted back to the 5.1s from the 5.2s, i got 108fps in the stress test. Thats with the 5.1s, with the 5.2s, i got like 60 something, 40+fps increase. Wow, ATI, you fucked this one up big time. Another weird thing, when i open up HL2, it says i have DirectX 9.0 Hardware, however, in CS:Source, it says I have 8.1, anyone have this problem? Possible cause or solution? Thanks.

MrPrez said:
So it turns out that when i reverted back to the 5.1s from the 5.2s, i got 108fps in the stress test. Thats with the 5.1s, with the 5.2s, i got like 60 something, 40+fps increase. Wow, ATI, you fucked this one up big time. Another weird thing, when i open up HL2, it says i have DirectX 9.0 Hardware, however, in CS:Source, it says I have 8.1, anyone have this problem? Possible cause or solution? Thanks.

Just installed the 5.2's, same problem. The framerate jumps from normal to an extreme low. Had about 110fps with the Omega's, but with the 5.2's I averaged 52fps.

Im happy to see im not the only one lol, I was like wtf .... 40 fps drop. Normally it's +/- 3 fps every driver release

Alrighty, where do I find the Omega drivers everyone squacks about all the time?? :mad:

I went from 90.7 FPS to 71.1 FPS in the Stress Test. Gameplay isnt really diffrent but I would still love to have my 90.7 FPS please. I am going to revert back to 5.1s like this weekend. Keep us posted guys!

Alrighty, ran some tests.. took about an hour to switch drivers back and forth, using driver cleaner of course:

hl2bench2.jpg

[edit] I just noticed I left the old "DNA Source" settings in there. That was taken from the last benchmark when AF was still at like X16, I dropped it to X4 since. So ignore the green bars, please.

I was using the final release of the 4.xx from last year. A few weeks ago I downloaded the 5.1's to my desktop but never made the effort to reboot into safe mode, run Driver Cleaner, then reinstall. Finally 5.2's are released so I figure I might as well "upgrade." Playing through Doom3, I'm seeing artifacts I never saw before and it's a little more jump in general. Bad times!

yea i reformated and went straight to 5.2 and im noticing drops in cs source. ill be going back to 5.1 tomorrow

Has anyone heard an explanation from ATI as to why these drivers are so bad with Source engine games yet? :mad:

Back with more Doom3 problems hehe. Decided to try the 5.1 Omega drivers and now I get problems in Doom3 that aren't quite as bad but there are big weird textures that looks like walls (but I can walk through them). Crazy, crazy. Should have stuck with my 4.xx drivers...

Dunno why every1 hates these drivers so much. I just ran the CS:S video stress test @ 1280x1024 high everything, 4xAA/8xAF and got 100.4 fps. A little better than the 4.12's used to give me. HL2 runs great.

And I'm replaying lots of old games lately that I never did re-try on the rig I built. Postal2 finally runs great. <--Sick game! :D Halo runs awesome. Jaggies though. :mad: Some1 force AA somehow in Halo please. All the GTA series run insanely fast. Even Vietcong runs like butter!

So my point is that these drivers didn't bork my frame rates so maybe there are some system specific issues with these drivers. :shrugs:

Has anyone else noticed a rise in gpu temps after installing these drivers?
atitools reports about 6c higher, then I reinstalled the 5.1 and the temps went back to normal.

Yes. My temps never used to run over 76-77°C and now I'm seeing core temps as high as 80°C at full load. I never pay attention to idle temps.

Hmm, I haven't noticed any temperature problems, but my PC kept rebooting randomly yesterday so I had to system restore.

Mister E said:
Yes. My temps never used to run over 76-77°C and now I'm seeing core temps as high as 80°C at full load. I never pay attention to idle temps.

Hmmm, so would you consider this a bug in the driver mis-reporting the temps or is the card actually running hotter.

I think its actually running hotter. No biggie though I gots good air flow.

Definitely running hotter, I was in the middle of CS:S when I noticed some artifacts started swarming my screen. I didn't even overclock.

Well I'm taking them out and going back to the 5.1 driver. The tool bar option was good otherwise this was a disappointing update.

^^You know I swear I ran the CS:S stress test right after installing the drivers and saw 70 some fps which IS low. But I blew it off and then went about killing my 2nd'ary display and adjusting all my graphic settings, which requires a restart afterward. Then I ran the stress test again and got over 100fps.

I think the restarting a couple times idea is the key. I have ZERO performance complaints with these drivers. However, the tool bar icon doesn't always let me adjust settings without CatControlCenter. Kinda buggy. :mad:

No amount of reboots will redeem the 5.2's crappiness.

Even after uninstalling the 5.2's and then running driver cleaner, my CS:S was still plagued by sudden fps drops. I had to run driver cleaner twice to get back to "normal", even now with the recent heat problems, I might have to clean it up again.

Back