Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

batts said:
Placed the order in Tuesday night, added the “rush order” option and changed to 2nd day air, taking the gamble it would ship Wed. morning and I would have it Friday. No such luck. My LCD shipped Thursday night, and was in my hands Monday. Made a call, was credited back my “rush order” money since it didn’t ship the next day, but I lost out the $$ for the increase for 2nd day air shipping, they stated they shipped it within the 24-48hr window, what crap I say.

Dude, you don't ever use "rush processing" with NewEgg.

Total waste of dough because usually most orders will ship out next day anyways in my experience unless there was a 3 day weekend like there was just recently with Columbus day and then they might be backlogged.

Or if you're a new customer or your billing and shipping don't match, they have to make sure you're not fraudulent with your CC. A lot of fraudsters want stuff shipped to them 2nd day or Next Day Air. Most normal people don't spend the ridiculous amount for 2nd day or Next Day Air and so they will delay your order usually because of that (catch 22!!!)!!!!

I bet had you ordered without rush and just normal and your billing and shipping matched, your order would have went out next day and you would have got it at the same time without wasting your dough!

Not smart!!! NewEgg is a GREAT company to do business with (great prices, fast shipping, and usually excellent quality product) except when dealing with RMA's on some items. The only problem I ever had with them (after many years of doing biz with them) was with one Razer Copperhead mouse they sent me defective and I had to shell the dough to send it back only to have them send me another defective one and by the time I sent the 2nd one back, I had already paid for half the mouse and ended up mouseless. But then I went to DisneyWorld and stole Mickey and everything was fine!

-WaitAndSee

rabhw said:
I tried out a regular DVD player today hooked up through s-video and it had black bars, it was stretched vertically slightly -- the difference between 16:9 and 16:10, i'm not sure whether thats different than some other people's testing results, if it is, I'll take pictures.
Yes pictures PLEASE, but be aware some older DVD movies have the black bars encoded as "belvedere79" already pointed out.

Yes, rabhw... try to play an anamorphic DVD with a 16x9 ratio like, say, 1.85:1---those won't give you any black bars if displayed in a 16x9 monitor. Let's see if the sucker will stretch it to 16x10. I have a feeling it will stretch only hi-def resolutions like 720 or 1080. But I could be wrong. I hope.

The movie I tested was Garden State (2004) "Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1".

Pics coming in a few mins.

Edit: Nevermind black bars are just encoded into the movie.

waitandsee said:
Dude, you don't ever use "rush processing" with NewEgg.

Total waste of dough because usually most orders will ship out next day anyways in my experience unless there was a 3 day weekend like there was just recently with Columbus day and then they might be backlogged.

-WaitAndSee

Well not a total waste of dough, they refund it if it does not ship out the same day if ordered before 12:00CST, but funny how they didn't catch that the last time something didn't ship out, little slip? ya I don't think so, more money for them. Doubtful I'll ever use the service again.

Never had and past issues with Newegg, over the many years, but I think they must not be able to handle the orders as efficient as before, considering the last 2 orders I have placed have taken almost the 48hrs to process and ship.

All I can take away from this whole RMA issue, is Newegg might have great prices, but the whole RMA shipping return, waiting periods, and hoops one needs to jump thru might not be worth it, since the end I'm paying about the same as I would have getting from somewhere else, next time probably will not be Newegg.

My BenQ though didn't have anything that would even make me thing Newegg touched the thing, no invoice or nothing, just a shipping label, which makes me believe BenQ is drop shipping them out or something, maybe that is the holdup?

So after phone calls, and hearing a rep mention he would think if I pay for next day air when ordering it, and there aren't any processing issues they could get my replacement out to me friday since I placed it early morning.
Call back to Newegg, said my order was being processed, should get a tracking number soon.. 1hr later no tracking number, nothing, doubtful it will make it to me next day, and this again will take another 48hrs to process my order..

The best I can hope for is my replacement looks as sharp and doesn't have any dead pixels, but doesn't suffer from what I'm calling a heat issue, by the end of the month.

rabhw said:
The movie I tested was Garden State (2004) "Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1".

Pics coming in a few mins.

Edit: Nevermind black bars are just encoded into the movie.
Who cares I love pictures :D

Sorry man , but I'll have to strongly disagree with you on this. I think Newegg provides excellent service and products, if not the BEST out there. I got my BenQ the next day using standard UPS shipping. I ordered it 3am monday morning and it arrived at 5:25 on tuesday afternoon. I've spent atleast 10k on products using newegg and NEVER had any problems with them. I'm assuming your billing didnt match your shipping address, otherwise i see no reason why they would make you wait 48hrs to process your order.

batts said:
Well not a total waste of dough, they refund it if it does not ship out the same day if ordered before 12:00CST, but funny how they didn't catch that the last time something didn't ship out, little slip? ya I don't think so, more money for them. Doubtful I'll ever use the service again.

Never had and past issues with Newegg, over the many years, but I think they must not be able to handle the orders as efficient as before, considering the last 2 orders I have placed have taken almost the 48hrs to process and ship.

All I can take away from this whole RMA issue, is Newegg might have great prices, but the whole RMA shipping return, waiting periods, and hoops one needs to jump thru might not be worth it, since the end I'm paying about the same as I would have getting from somewhere else, next time probably will not be Newegg.

My BenQ though didn't have anything that would even make me thing Newegg touched the thing, no invoice or nothing, just a shipping label, which makes me believe BenQ is drop shipping them out or something, maybe that is the holdup?

So after phone calls, and hearing a rep mention he would think if I pay for next day air when ordering it, and there aren't any processing issues they could get my replacement out to me friday since I placed it early morning.
Call back to Newegg, said my order was being processed, should get a tracking number soon.. 1hr later no tracking number, nothing, doubtful it will make it to me next day, and this again will take another 48hrs to process my order..

The best I can hope for is my replacement looks as sharp and doesn't have any dead pixels, but doesn't suffer from what I'm calling a heat issue, by the end of the month.

batts said:
I'm a bit leery about how Newegg is dealing with orders from my initial purchase of this LCD though, I haven’t had any issues in the past, but this last one I’d have to say everything that could go wrong did…

Placed the order in Tuesday night, added the “rush order” option and changed to 2nd day air, taking the gamble it would ship Wed. morning and I would have it Friday. No such luck. My LCD shipped Thursday night, and was in my hands Monday. Made a call, was credited back my “rush order” money since it didn’t ship the next day, but I lost out the $$ for the increase for 2nd day air shipping, they stated they shipped it within the 24-48hr window, what crap I say.

I had a similar experience back in May. There was a LAN party coming up and I needed some new headphones anyway. I did the same thing, used rush processing and faster ship time. They didn't get it out that day (they actually claimed on the order status that they did, but Fedex didn't show it recieved until the next day, which they said might be because the Egg didn't put the correct shipping labels on it), so I paid 2-day shipping in hopes of getting it on Friday, but then got it on Monday, which I would have if I had just did regular shipping. I called and they refunded me the rush processing and shipping costs, so I'm happy. I'm actually about to place a big order with them in a couple of weeks.

The main problem with that order was Fedex I think. I'm not going to use them anymore, and I'm glad NewEgg is transitioning over to UPS, or at least it looks that way with the shipping costs they display. UPS is always in my neighborhood just after noon and Fedex usually rolls in around 4:30p. Not to mention with the above situation I was actually at the LAN party, checked the shipping tracker, and saw that it was at the routing facility. It was still scheduled to be delivered Monday morning, but I thought I'd run up to the facility and get it right there. Nope, it was in transportation containers and they couldn't dig it out till Monday. :mad:

Yeah what I meant was that using 2nd Day Air or Next Day Air on Newegg is usually a waste of dough because you can't guarantee same or next day shipping.

As for Rush Processing, I know it's refundable if they don't ship per terms, however most of the time paying rush processing is also a waste because it will ship next day usually and then you're just throwing them extra cash for nothing.

Just my opinion and from my own experience.

At least with Newegg, you are dealing with a huge company that is reputable and won't screw you with B Stock or refurb or crap merchandise which a lot of shady internet e-tailers will do! I usually am willing to spend a few extra bux with NewEgg for some peace of mind than to go with the absolute lowest price internet e-tailer off of sites like PriceWatch.com for example or Shopping.com.

If Brick and Mortar stores like Best Buy or Comp USA actually carried the goods to begin with and then on top of it had good prices (which is rare but sometimes they do), then I would gladly pick it up from them for ease of return in case of problems. It is a tradeoff. However home delivery and no sales tax is so utterly convenient!

Not to mention, even most Brick 'N Mortars will tell you to take a hike and go bother the manufacturer after their 14 day or 30 day LIMITED warranty/return policy expires. So you end up having to ship it off anyways in the end...

-WaitAndSee

batts said:

Is anybody else having the heat issue that got batts to return his monitor?

What could possibly be causing the Benq LCD to overheat?

Defective Power Supply??? Bad Backlight?

I know some LCD's get hot, but I thought they are supposed to consume less than half the power of CRT's??...

Hope his replacement is perfect. I know what it feels like to have to do an RMA and I feel for the man esp. having spent all the dough on faster shipping and everything and being so excited about getting the display.

Life doesn't quite work out the way we plan it in our heads unfornately.

-WaitAndSee

rabhw said:
Vista RC2 Desktop

Sweet pics of Vista Beta there...! Do you happen to know the retail release date of Vista by chance and how much it is going to cost?

Hey as far as the overheating problem, I saw your review on NewEgg! :)

Batts, Stupid question but are you in a cold climate area right now with heating on in your house? What temperature is your computer room because could it just simply be that your room is too dam hot for your computer and lcd??

I used to live in a very cold area and my room was right above the furnace and my computer would crash randomly and I had several CRT's die on me not to mention other equipment...I myself was so used to the temperature that I didn't notice cuz you get used to it... Anyways, just wonderin...

-WaitAndSee

waitandsee said:
What could possibly be causing the Benq LCD to overheat?

Defective Power Supply??? Bad Backlight?

I know some LCD's get hot, but I thought they are supposed to consume less than half the power of CRT's??...

-WaitAndSee

My best guess was a componet in the power supply. Things worked fine for the first few days, then the problem hit all of a sudden, instant loss of power. Most power supplies are are build with some sort of thermal protection, and I did notice the majority of heat from that side of the LCD. Unfortunally I don't have a fluke thermal cam to comfirm my suspicion.

Doubtful I will hear anything back on it because they are just sending a new one trouble free one.

I just outputted component from regular to P-SCAN (progressive scan) from my DVD player to the monitor and wow, what a difference. First you saw some lines here and there on movement, (watching lost season 2) , quality was ok.. but going to progressive...wow. I mean its still a TAD blurry (edges) since it is stretching a DVD to a lot higher res, but still, its nice....for a crappy DVD player (speaking softly to it as it sits right next to me "I didnt mean what i said, I was just kidding <pats on head> your a good boy!" :p)

I will order my FP241W this evening, they should get it around Oct. 23 ( I'm in Montreal, Canada). I got it from a small shop near work, they have a good price: same as NCIX . I prefer to buy it here since they have a good zero dead pixel policy :D

... and I hate to send back stuff via courrier, you must have to stay home and wait for them.

im a bit worried about heat problems to,since its using same panel as the acer,and alot of ppl are having heat issues with that monitor.

Hello All,

I have just setup my 24" BenQ Monitor with my PC and my Xbox360 through VGA. It is a beautiful LCD and I am currently fighting the urge to return the monitor because of the lack thereof 1:1 pixel mapping.

I have a question thought, is there anyway for the xbox360 to output a 16:10 image through a software update. Would'nt it be cool when they apply the Fall update patch for 1080P that one of the choosable VGA resolution is 1920:1200 which should correct the image outout? along with 1920:1080.

Sigh I am happy with this LCD but why do I feel so affected by the lack of pixel mapping grrr.

By the way with this monitor, 360 through VGA is way better than 360 through component. :p

So, are you all saying that newegg's "Rush" charge means they ship it out later than a no rush? ...and that new customers don't get good, fast shipping?

Btw, when was the last time you bought $1800 in hardware from newegg, then they sent half, hassled with you for a month over the other half telling you it would be shipped next day air 4 times, then never having it show up and them charging you anyway? Well, that happened to my last order from them! Oh, and for clarification, they had the stuff in stock, they only had to ship the stuff to the billing address of the card, and there was plenty of space on the card with no holds or anything...

Again, I want to buy one of these monitors, but not from newegg. I had good service from them over the last few years until last month. Needless to say, the credit card company dispute went through, and I am not paying for hardware they didn't ship, even though they seem to think I should.

In any case, my newegg rant is over, as well as my future newegg purchases...

Do we have anyone inputting a true 1080p signal from the HDMI port yet? The review link that was posted a bit ago said they tried it, but it didn't mention scaling at all. *sigh*

Heck, even if it stretches it tall, it may still be worth it for the PC only use. Anyway...

Jim

ren1010 said:
Hello All,

I have just setup my 24" BenQ Monitor with my PC and my Xbox360 through VGA. It is a beautiful LCD and I am currently fighting the urge to return the monitor because of the lack thereof 1:1 pixel mapping.
--CUT--
By the way with this monitor, 360 through VGA is way better than 360 through component. :p

Btw, what resolutions are you offered in the 360 system menu for that monitor? Does it detect the monitor somehow and offer resoutions other than 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i??

Jim

So, I am guessing you are using the 1280x768 res so the aspect is pretty much the same as the 16:10 monitor? Does it seem to add an extra lag time to the control as it is scaling the video up? Thanks.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Im am no expert in regards to lag but I am pretty happy with the controls with the 360. :D

Jim Robbins said:
Again, I want to buy one of these monitors, but not from newegg. I had good service from them over the last few years until last month. Needless to say, the credit card company dispute went through, and I am not paying for hardware they didn't ship, even though they seem to think I should.

In any case, my newegg rant is over, as well as my future newegg purchases...

Jim

Seems to sum up my feelings also. Had no issues before when ordering my PC a while back about $1400, just has been an issue on my last two orders.

And well as expected it did not ship out to me even though the rep said he didn't see why it couldn't be shipped out to me that day since I was placing the order so early in the AM, and for some reason I received a notice about my shipping address late last night, even though they just sent my last LCD to the same dam place.. gesh very annoying service my last 2 orders..

Maybe since I don't live in NJ, or TN or CA, service doesn't seem as great as it once was.

LCD came out from TN this time rather then NJ, so shipping says, no tracking number since it posted shipped early AM today, I can't wait for this whole mess to be over with and take my money elsewhere.

Heck, even if it stretches it tall, it may still be worth it for the PC only use. Anyway...
It's not limited to PC only use, but to PC with only NVIDIA graphics card if you want to play games (e.g. 1600x1200 with some games and ATI will mean awfull stretching) or PC for only office use (word, excel, etc.). Quite limitted usage.

ren1010 said:
Hello All,

I have a question thought, is there anyway for the xbox360 to output a 16:10 image through a software update. Would'nt it be cool when they apply the Fall update patch for 1080P that one of the choosable VGA resolution is 1920:1200 which should correct the image outout? along with 1920:1080.

Sigh I am happy with this LCD but why do I feel so affected by the lack of pixel mapping grrr.

wow.... interesting that VGA looks better over component... I know you can unlock higher resolutions but It always seemed better on component to me... but then again Ive been playing it on LCD TV's.... not LCD TV monitors..

Can you owners post some more pictures of say the xbox 360 on this display. Id like to see again how it handles the stretching of non-conforming images. Also some images of 1600x1200 games stretched out to 1920x1200. Im so sick and tired of looking at this money in my account i have budgeted for a new monitor...only to STILL be indecisive and find this ONE THING that is holding me back (the lack of 1:1)

If only my damn cable would come in! :p Then I can output a 1080p signal ( from my PC to HDMI) and well finally have this resolved because according to that chinese site, its supposed to automatically resize 1:1 in HDMI (from the looks) but not with DVI and the others. Probably because DVI is most likely coming from a computer and therefore will use the standard resolution of the monitor...1920x1200. component isn't full HD compliant and neither is s-video or composite. HDMI is the only one so thats my 2 cents. Ill see. Hopefully Monday.

paviko said:
It's not limited to PC only use, but to PC with only NVIDIA graphics card if you want to play games (e.g. 1600x1200 with some games and ATI will mean awfull stretching) or PC for only office use (word, excel, etc.). Quite limitted usage.

Is this really a problem specific to the FP241W? What 24" monitors have aspect ratio scaling built into them? I know people have mentioned the Dell, but people have also said that the Dell's aspect ratio scaling doesn't work well.

So is it the FP241W? Or just an issue with 16:10 computer monitors in general?

DangerIsGo said:
If only my damn cable would come in! :p

Man, I can't wait for the results either. I hope it doesn't stretch the HDMI. And try to test an anamorphic DVD in a 16x9 ratio [1.85:1].

Is this really a problem specific to the FP241W? What 24" monitors have aspect ratio scaling built into them? I know people have mentioned the Dell, but people have also said that the Dell's aspect ratio scaling doesn't work well.

So is it the FP241W? Or just an issue with 16:10 computer monitors in general?
I don't know every monitor, but it looks like lately more and more 24'' LCD have missing ratio control. Maybe because they are introduced by "low-quality" company like BenQ, Acer (can we name them differently?).
The boom for 24'' LCD start with 2405FPW. AFAIK this one have working pixel scaling. Samsung 244T alows you to at least choose 4:3 format (good for ATI cards! ) or Full format (means stretching 16:9 to 16:10). Probably 2407FPW has problem with 4:3 aspect ratio, other settings works. There are a few other LCDs (maybe Sony P234) with at least the control like Samsung 244T. The BenQ FP241W and Acer 24'' are the worst one regarding aspect ratio control.

BenQ FP241W Fast-Pace FPS Review...coming soon...

Here is one sample video I made, no lcd lag, no problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWlU9dcz7qM

* Make note, I don't have a video camera. So, I made this video using Quake3 built-in game recorder and replay the game with fraps recording (screen recorder).

** Sorry for the quality, I can't host large video files. So, you have to use YouTube. Remember, the point is BenQ FP241W does not limit my gaming experience. I'll present better demos later on with my "quick-snapping" railing (sniping) skills. Again, I am not comparing monitors, CRT's and others, it's about me having no problem playing my game as usual.

Funny, I found another video on YouTube, with better presentation than me, showing a certain LCD monitor that does not ruin your game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2OE6hSh00

Could someone post some images giving a sense of what the viewing angles are like on this monitor? Thanks.

Back