• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

official AMD/ATi Catalyst 8.9 Drivers thread

I'd keep the 4870 Crossfire setup and use them because that means I'd get to stay with an Intel chipset based motherboard.
 
A few years ago when I payed attention, NVIDIA used to be able to make their drivers more efficient and faster even after months after a card came out. Does this still happen with their new cards? Does the GT280 run games any faster now with their most current drivers than it did with their drivers at time of release?

I always look forward to new drivers for the 4800 series because the card is still new (but getting old). I am hoping that ATI is able to increase the performance and that is the only reason I even care to upgrade drivers. So far, the performance of any of the drivers since launch has not gotten any faster. Does NVIDIA still manage to squeeze more performance out of their cards or am I waiting on something that will just not be happening because no one seems to be able to do it?

As far as the 8.8, they were super buggy both in XP and Vista both on a 4850 and a 3200. They were just super buggy. Right now I use the 8.7 drivers and they are quite stable. If the 8.9 drivers are no faster and I only can look forward to buugs, then there is hardly a reason to upgrade.
 
I found this reply in the gamefaq forum:



That's likely. Crysis and warhead are literally the only games on my pc with ANY fps issues. Everything else is ridiculously running well. I guessi 'm used to have my fps in all my games in the hundreds - CS:S Maxed i get 750 fps even with 16x AA 8x anistropic 1680x1050. COD4, TF2, Gears, GRID all running 200+fps. Well not GRID - more like 130fps. I'm sure a lot of people would cry with joy the performance i'm getting but after spending over 4k on my system i'm a little dissapointed a game like Crysis can cause it to struggle so much



How in the holy hell is he able to get that kinda fps, that's insane...please say he's lying.
 
I found this reply in the gamefaq forum:



That's likely. Crysis and warhead are literally the only games on my pc with ANY fps issues. Everything else is ridiculously running well. I guessi 'm used to have my fps in all my games in the hundreds - CS:S Maxed i get 750 fps even with 16x AA 8x anistropic 1680x1050. COD4, TF2, Gears, GRID all running 200+fps. Well not GRID - more like 130fps. I'm sure a lot of people would cry with joy the performance i'm getting but after spending over 4k on my system i'm a little dissapointed a game like Crysis can cause it to struggle so much



How in the holy hell is he able to get that kinda fps, that's insane...please say he's lying.

Depending on his hardware and only running at 1680x1050 I'd say its' possible. If he spent 4K on the system he could be running 3-Way SLI or CrossfireX and easily pull that off. I am fairly certain I could do the same thing at those resolutions in those games.

What's funny is that he's probably using some seriously high end video cards with a 20" or 22" LCD. It all probably sits on a $69.99 desk too. :D
 
Sorry, forgot to post his specs, this is another reply...they are talking about Crysis Warhead:

I have similar specs - my cpu is a lot better but i don't get much better than you.

QX9650 - stock 3.0ghz
4GB ram
4870X2


I run half on gamer and half on enthusiast with 4xAA 1680x1050 with an average of 25-55 fps
it can dip to even 20 fps in a couple of parts. like when you first come over that ridge and see the sun coming over the horizon.......

I expected a lot more out of this games performance.......especially with a 4870X2 and a Quad Core Extreme CPU......
 
How do you see that all 4 cores are working? I messed around in the setup and only see one graph that goes to 100%

RivaTuner will identify all 4 cores, but so far I can only graph 1 at a time.
I went in and out of the game using the hardware monitor to look at 1 core at a time, same three minute run (basically because the damn machine gunner kills me at the same spot every time......arrrrrrgh.:eek:)
 
RivaTuner will identify all 4 cores, but so far I can only graph 1 at a time.
I went in and out of the game using the hardware monitor to look at 1 core at a time, same three minute run (basically because the damn machine gunner kills me at the same spot every time......arrrrrrgh.:eek:)

Ok so Im seeing that it only EVER goes to like 60% GPU usage... what is that telling me?
 
same problem as 8.8

after few mins of gaming the fan turned to 100% , black screen , system was responsive as i could hear teamspeak voice chat

8.7 was working fine if this keeps on going on i have to downgrade , does anyone knows some kind of perma solution for this what could be the problem?
 
Sorry, forgot to post his specs, this is another reply...they are talking about Crysis Warhead:

I have similar specs - my cpu is a lot better but i don't get much better than you.

QX9650 - stock 3.0ghz
4GB ram
4870X2


I run half on gamer and half on enthusiast with 4xAA 1680x1050 with an average of 25-55 fps
it can dip to even 20 fps in a couple of parts. like when you first come over that ridge and see the sun coming over the horizon.......

I expected a lot more out of this games performance.......especially with a 4870X2 and a Quad Core Extreme CPU......

A quad core doesn't really help in almost every game compared to a dual core with CoH being the only real exception, at 3.0GHz, your CPU is holding you back considerably. Crysis will benefit more from a CPU in the 4GHz range, especially when using a 4870x2.
 
Anybody with 8.9's have the newly released Warhammer online?

And how does it run? With the 8.9 beta's I have to disable Catalyst AI to run smoothly
 
Ok so Im seeing that it only EVER goes to like 60% GPU usage... what is that telling me?

It's telling you that the game and rendering path that core is given only used 60% of the available GPU at that time.

If I look at all 4 of my cores, the master has 100%-90% and the slave has 75-75% in the run through I was using on ClearSky.
 
Anybody with 8.9's have the newly released Warhammer online?

And how does it run? With the 8.9 beta's I have to disable Catalyst AI to run smoothly

8.8 and 8.9 have been pretty smooth for me so far. 2560x1600 no problem. Any problems I've had have been server-wise/networking.
 
The fans still dont work right to regulate temperatures. I had to go in and hack the profile again. I don't get this......the card has been out since 12 August and ATI still hasn't fixed the fan speed......WTF?

There isn't anything wrong with the fan speed for ATI to fix....
 
Gpu is rated for 105c. If you aint getting 105c or over, you shouldnt worry. If it bothers you that much, creat a fan profile. Theres a thread on that here.
 
Gpu is rated for 105c. If you aint getting 105c or over, you shouldnt worry. If it bothers you that much, creat a fan profile. Theres a thread on that here.

So...........you're going to run your GPU(s) at over 100C???? good luck with that. The XBox 360 was probably rated to run hot too and look what happened there.

All I'm saying is the cards run way hot; and a simple fan fix brings the temps down by 30-40C load or idle. I'm amazed that this hasn't been fixed in over a month and two driver releases.

I have mine controlled by Rivatuner..........it's all good.;)
 
All I'm saying is the cards run way hot; and a simple fan fix brings the temps down by 30-40C load or idle. I'm amazed that this hasn't been fixed in over a month and two driver releases.

Fix what? My card along with a lot of others run as intended. It idles and runs at load just fine. The problem is that it is all in your head. You think it needs to be fixed, but there's nothing wrong.
 
There's nothing wrong with XBOX 360. A 33% failure rate is not a majority. You have a very good chance of getting 1 that doesn't burn up.


Anyway, back on topic, what is the idle core speed for the 4850?
 
There's nothing wrong with XBOX 360. A 33% failure rate is not a majority. You have a very good chance of getting 1 that doesn't burn up.


Anyway, back on topic, what is the idle core speed for the 4850?

To add to that it is my understanding that newer consoles that have the newer motherboard aren't prone to burning up as easily.
 
I still can't get my system to ever resume from standby. Each time I try, it takes two reboots before system will get back into Windows again. Tried a fresh OS install, new mobo BIOS and now 8.9 - nothing works.

Stupid $500+ GPU going to cost me another $300 for a new mobo :)

Must . . . hold . . . out . . . for . . . Core . . . i7 . . .
 
Hey guys, I am running a watercooled X2 but that really doesn't matter because the problem i am getting happens on my 4870 in my HTPC also. Playing crysis MP DX10 I get major graphical corruption on the screen. If you haven't played the remade surf level from farcry on crysis you need to check it out. It's badass, and it's also the main level I have corruption. I don't seem to have it in warhead though, go figure. So if you have the time try that out with these drivers and let me know if you also get weird artifacts going on. The main thing I get is whenever dirt gets thrown on my face from like a nearby explosion, it's a bunch of funky colors like somone hit me with a skittles bomb. The other thing is the bushes look like they are lit up like white christmas trees. Totaly white and flickering making it very hard to see the bad guy so I can cap him in his head! All other games run totally fine with these drivers however.
 
I still can't get my system to ever resume from standby. Each time I try, it takes two reboots before system will get back into Windows again. Tried a fresh OS install, new mobo BIOS and now 8.9 - nothing works.

Stupid $500+ GPU going to cost me another $300 for a new mobo :)

Must . . . hold . . . out . . . for . . . Core . . . i7 . . .

just sell that board off for about 150 or so and get a a decent P45 board for 200.
 
Yes, the newer Xboxes have a 65nm CPU and I think the newest have a 65nm GPU. Just the shrink from 90nm to 65nm made a huge difference in power draw. I am sure other things were tinkered with but between my old one and the 65nm CPU decreased the power draw by over 30%.

And for the comment that 33$ failure rate was somehow acceptable, you've got to be kidding me. I will not be buying an Xbox 3 at launch.
 
just sell that board off for about 150 or so and get a a decent P45 board for 200.

My thoughts exactly . . . I'm just waiting for you to post a FST thread for a 4870x2 & Asus Maximus 2 Formula combo for $500 shipped!!! ;)
 
I think they'll be ultra-paranoid next time. They can kiss their console business goodbye if "RRoD 2" happens. At least, they can give up hope of dominating the living room and household as an all-in-one media box. You need Apple or Nintendo cred for that to work.
 
know if they fixed the black screen for modified bios? still using 8.7 here.
 
My thoughts exactly . . . I'm just waiting for you to post a FST thread for a 4870x2 & Asus Maximus 2 Formula combo for $500 shipped!!! ;)


Well, one trip to Fry's, $300, one Asus Maximus II Formula and three hours of work later, I've upgraded half of my system.

The good news is that the 4870x2 can successful sleep and resume with the ASUS M2F. The bad news, this damned card has ended up costing me over $1500!!!

4870x2 = $525 (to get rid of 9800gx2)
Asus M2F mobo = $293 (to fix sleep problem with 4870x2 & 780i mobo)
2x2GB Dominator PC8500 = $143 (to move from 4x1GB Ballistix setup)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit = $125 (to use the 2x2GB RAM modules)
2x300GB WD VelociRaptors = $450 (just because)

Curse you ATI/AMD for making a card that can't sleep on nVidia boards!!! =D
 
Anybody with 8.9's have the newly released Warhammer online?

And how does it run? With the 8.9 beta's I have to disable Catalyst AI to run smoothly

My 4870 X2 arrived the same day the 8.9 drivers came out, so I can't really compare it to older drivers. But I have Catalyst AI enabled to advanced and it seems to work fine.

I noticed some ATI 4870/4850 users were also having some trouble using forced AA from the CCC with the Specular lighting in Warhammer. Basically the AA wouldn't work with that lighting option was on. However with my 4870 X2 and the 8.9 drivers both of those are working fine too.

So far no complaints with the driver. Though I'm still battling through some crash to desktop and lock up issues, but I was having those problems before with my Nvidia 8800 Ultra too, so I think it's something else.

But when the game is running, it runs great. :)
 
Well 8.9 brought me Vantage freeze as soon as the loading bar for the first test is full.
Crysis Warhead crashes just after the intro.
8.8 did run Vantage for a couple of seconds but with heavy artifacting before rebooting my system. After the reboot Vista was saying that something was wrong with the Ati drivers.
Very very nice.
 
For those of us without the latest and greatest, do the 8.9s improve TF2 performance on a 3850?
 
:mad:Catalyst 8.9= major failure!
Catalyst 8.8+ win XP+powerdvd= smooth bluray playback on my TV on extended desktop mode

Installed 8.9= NO bluray playback on extended desktop mode was added in the list of in know issues AND no bluray playback in real life

Reverted to 8.8- now i can not play bluray on my hdtv on extended desktop mode again using the previous driver.:mad:

Great way to "improve" a driver: add more issues to be solved! And created an issue that cannot be reverted by going back to the last driver!

Maybe one day i will love my 4870X2, but right ATI is on the process of losing a costumer forever.

8.9 has less flickers ingame, but still has flickers on the desktop!

It is IMPOSSIBLE that EVERY SINGLE owner reports flickers with this card and NOT A SINGLE preview/review talked about it: OMFG it is a near constant issue: load a video-flicker, start ANY game- flicker, video on a webpage-flicker-not to mention the random flickers...

I am starting to think about disable one of the gpus (is it possible?) and waiting until a driver solves half of these problems-:(
 
To add to that it is my understanding that newer consoles that have the newer motherboard aren't prone to burning up as easily.

Good for everybody else.
I've had three, yes three 360s sent in due to RROD failure.
MS repair is so good now, I got the same box back after my most recent repair and the box was in and out in less than 24 hours.

I bought a release model.........I'm ok with the fact that shit breaks.......but three times??
I'm going to wait 12 months before I buy the next gen.

I refuse to believe the idle temp of 83C is good for my X2. You guys who think that's ok, let me know when you start to see failures of the cards.
A simple adjustment of fan speed will reduce my temps 40degreesC.....not 5 or 10, that's 40 degrees.:eek:
 
These drivers are harrible. I was stable on 8.7 and installed 8.9 and all hell broke loose. Black screen during install, BSOD's when enabling 2nd monitor, reboots when enabling 2nd monitor. RAID array verifying every time after that. Ran system restore to get back to 8.7 and now the 3d program that shows you your changes that runs in the CCC won't load, my old profiles that switch from one monitor to the other don't work right. These drivers assraped me. I'm 100% confident that ATI never tested these before they released them. I never went to 8.8 so I can't judge those, but these 8.9's STAY AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COSTS!, especially if you have multiple monitors. I'm thinking about selling one of these 4850's and putting the other one in my HTPC and then picking up a gtx280 for this machine. Over 2 months now for these 4800 series cards and still Nvidia style early 2007 vista quality drivers for them. I've seen some shit in my day but never like this. Half the features in 8.9 either don't work or cause major system failure. Even nvidia can't top that one.
 
RivaTuner 2.11 handles my X2 nicely now, but Warhead crashes and reboots my PC. Almost 2 weeks and I still can't enjoy the thing I spent a buttload of money on. Crysis works flawlessly though :rolleyes:
 
It sucks to hear that people are still having flickering issues with the x2 (and crossfire.) I think I've just about given up on wanting to get an x2 card now... I'll have to decide between a gtx280 or a single 4870.
 
played warhead on these drivers, no issues. Do get wsock32.dll error like 10 times before the game starts, but it does start, and runs fine.
 
Good for everybody else.
I've had three, yes three 360s sent in due to RROD failure.
MS repair is so good now, I got the same box back after my most recent repair and the box was in and out in less than 24 hours.

I bought a release model.........I'm ok with the fact that shit breaks.......but three times??
I'm going to wait 12 months before I buy the next gen.

I refuse to believe the idle temp of 83C is good for my X2. You guys who think that's ok, let me know when you start to see failures of the cards.
A simple adjustment of fan speed will reduce my temps 40degreesC.....not 5 or 10, that's 40 degrees.:eek:

Well I've got two Xbox 360's. One my girlfriend purchased which is one of the original release week Xbox 360's that's been going strong all this time. The damn thing sounds like a jet engine starting up but she plays games on it and uses it as a DVD player. She frequently falls asleep at night and the thing runs all night long. This has been going on since the thing was released.

I have had one that died about a year or so into ownership that I had repaired/exchanged/whatever at the Xbox repair facility. So far no problems with that unit.
 
Back
Top