Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

Question is will the revision have the same QC issues. Wait and see I guess - but I am really getting tired of waiting for a good new monitor.

Sending back panel number five to Amazon today, this time for a refund. I'm done. I feel like an idiot for even trying this many times, but man this panel looks sweet when there are no dead pixels or dust particles and I can stop paying attention to the back light bleed. If I felt confident doing the tape fix or something for the BLB would fix the issue, I'd keep the monitor.

Gonna see if I have any luck with the ROG Swift and use that until the IPS G-Sync ultra wides are out and reviewed thoroughly.

The more I read this thread, the more I appreciate how lucky I got. I have a bit of backlight bleed on the bottom right corner, and bottom middle, but honestly, it's unnoticeable unless I'm showing a black screen.

Honestly, the monitor is one of the best I have had (asides from my Dell U2711), but the QC issues are troubling and the main reason I generally stuck with Dell or HP for monitors.

The more I read this thread, the more I appreciate how lucky I got. I have a bit of backlight bleed on the bottom right corner, and bottom middle, but honestly, it's unnoticeable unless I'm showing a black screen.

Honestly, the monitor is one of the best I have had (asides from my Dell U2711), but the QC issues are troubling and the main reason I generally stuck with Dell or HP for monitors.

I know right? I think I hit the jackpot on mine as well. Little to no BLB, no dead pixels, and simply the best monitor I've ever owned.

My third has a huge dirt speck right in the middle, has to go back. The other two are great. Funny; all three have different firmware apparently.

January build has slow brightness slider and 100 Hz max ULMB.
April build (dirt speck monitor) has slow brightness slider and 120 Hz max ULMB.
July build has fast brightness slider and 120 Hz max ULMB.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.. I also purchased this monitor, and have no issues what-so-ever. I was quite nervous about spending as much as i did on a monitor that might have issues.. but im glad to report its by far the best monitor i've ever owned and dont regret it a bit!

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.. I also purchased this monitor, and have no issues what-so-ever. I was quite nervous about spending as much as i did on a monitor that might have issues.. but im glad to report its by far the best monitor i've ever owned and dont regret it a bit!

I feel the same, I think it is the best gaming monitor on the market today.

TechPowerUp's new post page has hatch patterns, and triggers the Acer's bug that draws hatch beyond the browser window.

Ordered this refurbished for $690 from Newegg. Hopefully the fact that its refurbished will mean that someone actually took a careful look to make sure it's up to quality. If not, I'll just return it and wait for the ASUS.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, those of you lucky enough to get issue-free (or close to it) panels, from where did you order yours?

I noticed some patterns between Newegg and Amazon. Both panels I ordered from Newegg had either dead pixels and/or dust behind the screen and a small amount of back light bleed. The three panels I ordered from Amazon had almost no dead pixels/dust or none, but had more noticeable BLB. All panels were July builds.

I suspect this has something to do with Newegg just using the monitor box itself as the packaging while Amazon put the monitor box inside another box with some paper packing material. The Newegg boxes both came in kinda banged up, but the Amazon boxes were pristine.

Anyway, I really wanted to get a good one of these panels. The colors and clarity are phenomenal during bright scenes in-game and the Swift I'm using now doesn't even come close in this department. The BLB was just too much for me in darker scenes.

I don't know if this any help or not, but I got mine from a local Microcenter. They had 3 in stock, I figured if I didn't have luck on the first one... I'd try for the second one. Mine was a june 2015 build.

Low and behold, the first one was perfect. G-SYNC is amazing, and the colors are outstanding.

Out of curiosity, those of you lucky enough to get issue-free (or close to it) panels, from where did you order yours?

I noticed some patterns between Newegg and Amazon. Both panels I ordered from Newegg had either dead pixels and/or dust behind the screen and a small amount of back light bleed. The three panels I ordered from Amazon had almost no dead pixels/dust or none, but had more noticeable BLB. All panels were July builds.

I suspect this has something to do with Newegg just using the monitor box itself as the packaging while Amazon put the monitor box inside another box with some paper packing material. The Newegg boxes both came in kinda banged up, but the Amazon boxes were pristine.

Anyway, I really wanted to get a good one of these panels. The colors and clarity are phenomenal during bright scenes in-game and the Swift I'm using now doesn't even come close in this department. The BLB was just too much for me in darker scenes.

I pre ordered mine directly from Acer and just got lucky with the very first one.

I received my refurbished monitor from Newegg. Looks like my suspicion was spot on, the refurbished screen is near flawless. Very little backlight bleed, no dead or stuck pixels that I can see.
It makes sense, refurbs probably get a more thorough inspection than a new screen.

-edit-
Spoke too soon, finally found two dead pixels together, on the lower left side of the screen. Its acceptable for me, but the monitor is not flawless as I initially thought.

Last edited:
My third has a huge dirt speck right in the middle, has to go back. The other two are great. Funny; all three have different firmware apparently.

January build has slow brightness slider and 100 Hz max ULMB.
April build (dirt speck monitor) has slow brightness slider and 120 Hz max ULMB.
July build has fast brightness slider and 120 Hz max ULMB.

cool. 120 hz ulmb is enabled with monitors manufactured april 2015 and later, from what i could find.

Bought mine from a 3rd party on amazon. Mine has very minor blb in the lower right, but is otherwise perfect.

GSync was worth every penny. The colors are amazing, and make my buddy's ROG Swift look dull by comparison. (we put them side by side when it first arrived)

Now comes the problem with keeping up the horsepower required to drive 1440p :p

[L]imey;1041884275 said:
Now comes the problem with keeping up the horsepower required to drive 1440p :p

Gsync should be alleviating that massively as you now only have to render ~45fps to have a really smooth frame rate.

Unless you want to render 100fps for the increase in motion clarity.

pursuit_overdrive.jpg

This monitor is so freaking expensive. Right now can get a LG 55LF6300 IPS TV for $1250aud, and this monitor is $1050, doesn't make any sense :/ Small monitor should be ~$700.

I'm not sure how to tell which firmware version I got, but I got a 4th one of these after spending over $100 in shipping/handling to return the three I've bought so far. Fourth one looks good. No dead pixels have jumped out at me and no backlight bleed/uniformity issues.

Finally. It's been a huge PITA to get a good one since I have to wait 7-10 days each time I order one for APO shipping.

Edit: the sticker on the back of my monitor has an August 2015 build date.

Last edited:
I guess I am lucky (as well as not overly picky).
My panel has some light bleen in the lower right, but no more than any other panel I have ever owned.

I remember seeing 1 dead pixel once when I first got it... but I searched for it yesterday and could not find it anywhere.

So, I guess overall I got lucky with my April 2015 panel as it is really the best *gaming* monitor I have ever owned (I use different monitors for my photo and design work which have a "normal" refresh rate but VERY accurate color representation and viewing angles).

It's on the front page

EDIT: as of 9:45AM GMT+8 time, the relevant thread is directly above this.

Last edited:
It's on the front page

EDIT: as of 9:45AM GMT+8 time, the relevant thread is directly above this.

Heh - It would suck if someone bumped a bunch of older threads to push that one to the 2nd page.....;)

Well the first PG279Q are getting into people's hands now so it will probably stay on the front page for a bit.

I'm on my 4th or 5th of these monitors. The one that arrived today has no dead pixels but dust/dirt under the screen. I'm not even sure what to do anymore. Guess I'll have to buy something else.

It's just a matter of luck with the panel lottery. Both monitors use the same panel.

This. Its really frustrating. Supposedly ASUS has tighter quality control now. I've been following the ASUS thread closely over at overclock.net and will continue to do so before I decide which one I am going for but honestly I don't think it will make much of a difference. It all just comes down to luck.

Alright, after a month of ownership the monitor will show only black every few days until I unplug the power lead for an hourish. In addition, when running at native res the right half of the screen is showing corruption (vertical lines) in midtone areas with light gradients.

Anyone know what Acers European RMA experience is like?

owner for 3 months no issues.
Best monitor i have owned. Paid 600.00 a piece for two refurbs

id suggest anyone having issues just pony up the extra dough and get the Asus version that does 165 hz

GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE ;)

One of the reason why i went with Acer 3 months ago because I know Asus would drop the ball and not have it out and so far we are in November with no wide availability in the united States

so sad

my money will go with Acer until 4k and Nvidia Pascal comes along and then dump the XB270hu

nah maybe i will just keep it and make it into a arcade monitor mame cabinet,

Last edited:
So, lets talk about that power LED. You guys use some tape to cover that thing? It is insanely bright!

So, lets talk about that power LED. You guys use some tape to cover that thing? It is insanely bright!

I used a ghetto stick-it note cut to size to cover a two-button width, since it bleeds through the gap too. Mutes the brightness enough that I don't care late at night with the lights dimmed.

Also, the screen is at like 120% brightness for 10 seconds every time it is turned on with its huge Acer / G-Sync logo. That's also annoying, it should turn on much faster, it's wasting my time.

the LED bleed between the buttons does annoy me a little but I don't play in complete darkness(cant stand how any LCD looks in complete darkness) so it's not a super big deal. I can see how it would be really irritating if you did, though.

you can always open the panel and just break the led light. Or use black electrical tape if you are really that OCD when it comes to a LED light. I like the blue light it matches my Corsair K90 keyboard and my logitech THX speaker volume control on the desk which has the same color blue LED.

Lets talk about Red.... This would be more annoying for me.. Kinda like what the new Asus has on its panel PG279q "Very annoying"

My Razor mouse flashes Green which i like and my Corsair case has flashing red hard drive indicator lights and a red power button which has always been historically the color of choice for a hard drive indicator light .. Other than that blue fits well for me on the XB270hu because of my hardware i mentioned on my desk

i like it

OMG the light is amber when it's off (in standby) but all my other lights are dark when I'm not there. What do I do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

:rolleyes:

When you use a public restroom after washing your hands with soap and water , and let's just say this is a fast food resteraunt. Have you ever had second thoughts before grabing the bathroom door handle in order too open the door , with your clean hands?

Wait just thought of something for your amber light issue. Buy a night light amber in color

Back