Official 71.84

Nothing more then the betas really, same date... nothing has changed from Beta to "official".

Nvidia is really pissing me off as of late.
 
Interesting, it says in the driver release notes that WMV acceleration has been enabled for GeForce 6 series but a software update is required from Microsoft in order for it to work - but it was already working with the 6600GT for a long time? What is this about?

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/71.84/NVWinRel70Notes_7184.pdf

"Improved Video Functionality
• Improved video scaling for the newest GeForce 6 Series GPUs
• Improved de-interlacing
• Windows Media Video 9 (WMV9) Video Acceleration
• Includes support for hardware acceleration decoding of WMV9
video files on GeForce 6 series GPUs.
• A software update from Microsoft is required to enable this feature.
"
 
|MaguS| said:
Nvidia is really pissing me off as of late.
Why?

So what if there's no changes?
dunno.gif
 
tranCendenZ said:
What is this about?

• A software update from Microsoft is required to enable this feature.[/b]"
nvidia mentioned a patch for Media Player 10 is required to fully use PureVideo in that version:
NVIDIA sent us elements of a forthcoming update to Windows Media Player 10 that will further take advantage of PureVideo's hardware acceleration.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2305&p=10
 
tranCendenZ said:
The release notes clearly state WMV9 though, not WMV10.
LOL

WMV9 is the codec. WMP9 and WMP10 are the players ("Windows Media Player 9" and "Windows Media Player 10"), and both use the WMV9 codec. WMP10 still isn't completely patched.
 
i'm not into trying out betas, so i'm glad to see Nvidia actually has officially endorsed the 71.84 driver.

Goes off to download it now...
 
Still has the temp bug. Godmotherfuckingdamnit.

Thanks a whole fucking lot, Nvidia. Drivers I can't use. You know, these got my card so hot at idle the other day that it started artificing? This card's never been OCed, has never had a single artifact until these drivers came along, has the copper cooler on it, is in a huge case with tons of fans, I've moved stuff around to give it as much airflow as possible, I've carefully cleaned out every fan and heatsink to make sure there's no dust, and it still gets hot enough to cause artifacts at fucking idle! IDLE!

What the goddamn motherfuck are those useless douchebags doing over there? They are seriously pissing me off.
 
Kevin Lowe said:
Still has the temp bug. Godmotherfuckingdamnit.

Thanks a whole fucking lot, Nvidia. Drivers I can't use. You know, these got my card so hot at idle the other day that it started artificing? This card's never been OCed, has never had a single artifact until these drivers came along, has the copper cooler on it, is in a huge case with tons of fans, I've moved stuff around to give it as much airflow as possible, I've carefully cleaned out every fan and heatsink to make sure there's no dust, and it still gets hot enough to cause artifacts at fucking idle! IDLE!

What the goddamn motherfuck are those useless douchebags doing over there? They are seriously pissing me off.

Tell us how you really feel.
 
Kevin Lowe said:
Still has the temp bug. Godmotherfuckingdamnit.

Thanks a whole fucking lot, Nvidia. Drivers I can't use. You know, these got my card so hot at idle the other day that it started artificing?
A 10C-15C difference at idle doesn't cause artifacting. Maybe you have a bad card (check your heatsink first) or your registry settings are scrambled. Run driver cleaner and try again.

The core throttles anyways... at a much higher temperature than is possible at idle even in a *hot* case.
 
Kevin Lowe said:
Still has the temp bug. Godmotherfuckingdamnit.

Thanks a whole fucking lot, Nvidia. Drivers I can't use. You know, these got my card so hot at idle the other day that it started artificing? This card's never been OCed, has never had a single artifact until these drivers came along, has the copper cooler on it, is in a huge case with tons of fans, I've moved stuff around to give it as much airflow as possible, I've carefully cleaned out every fan and heatsink to make sure there's no dust, and it still gets hot enough to cause artifacts at fucking idle! IDLE!

What the goddamn motherfuck are those useless douchebags doing over there? They are seriously pissing me off.

Dude, I hate to say this, but something else is definately wrong, on a stock card there's no way the drivers can boost the idle temps even to load levels, let alone levels that would cause problems.
I have a 6800ultra @ 430/1200, with a zalman vf700cu in silent mode, in case cooled by a single 120mm fan, and while it runs fairly hot it still doesn't reach the throttle temp or show any artifacting under these drivers (and yes, I do get the temp increase).

The only time I ever had artifacting on my ultra was because my PSU wasn't delivering enough juice.
 
|MaguS| said:
Nothing more then the betas really, same date... nothing has changed from Beta to "official".

Nvidia is really pissing me off as of late.


Well you do realize that NVIDIA has to submit a BETA driver for WHQL right? Then this driver is evaluated by Microsoft and becomes official. At that point NV cannot change anything in the driver otherwise it has to be WHQLed again.

So in that beta driver, what you got was the WHQL driver, that had just not been signed off on yet by MS.

Comprende?
 
Also, I am using these drivers personally and they are working great.
 
tranCendenZ said:
The increased idle temps shouldnt make any diff

BUT why are the temps increased at idle? I was already at like 57C idle, if it goes up 10C, I'll be at 67C idle that seems a bit excessive. Whats up with that?

I might have to reflash my custom OC'd BIOS lower if thats the case.

(flashed it to 380/1080, so I don't have to bother with OC'ing utilities or coolbits, even though it runs 400/1100 stable)

Well, I guess, I'll try it out, I'm still on the last WHQL'd official drivers, I don't bother with Betas.
 
chrisf6969 said:
BUT why are the temps increased at idle? I was already at like 57C idle, if it goes up 10C, I'll be at 67C idle that seems a bit excessive. Whats up with that?

I might have to reflash my custom OC'd BIOS lower if thats the case.

(flashed it to 380/1080, so I don't have to bother with OC'ing utilities or coolbits, even though it runs 400/1100 stable)

Well, I guess, I'll try it out, I'm still on the last WHQL'd official drivers, I don't bother with Betas.

It appears that for some reasons these drivers run 2D at full voltage like it is 3D
 
I did try Coolbits, and it did the same thing that 71.84 beta did, not allow any overclock at all. In fact, it told me my "overclock" failed when I tested at below stock speeds.

There is this beta:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1013

Upped my 3dMark 05 score from about 9700 to 10,300 or so (running 2 x 6800 GT's in SLI mode), Aquamark 3 score from about 90k to almost 95k. Does occasionally do some funny glitching right after the Aquamark 3 run, only way to describe it is...a wave like effect. Quiting and restarting the application seems to stop that, but never seen it before.

Only tried one game, LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth, using the 71.84 beta's profile so it would be SLI enabled, and it ran fine for an hour. Only had 76.10 loaded for about two or three hours, so haven't tried anything else yet to see how it looks, if it causes a problem, or so forth. Temps are reported the same as 71.84 beta, but I'm able to get a better overclock, so guessing/hoping that means the physical temp is lower, even if it's reporting the same temps as the temp bug ratings.

I did use 71.90 beta for a bit, pretty much IMO 71.84 with ability to use Coolbits to overclock, benchmark scores the same from what I could see from 71.84 beta, did seem to have the temp bug like 71.84 beta did.
 
Arvig: I know that coolbits wont work, but can rivatuner still overclock the card with these drivers?
 
|MaguS| said:
Nothing more then the betas really, same date... nothing has changed from Beta to "official".

Nvidia is really pissing me off as of late.

It is a big update from the previous official drivers, 66.93. Lot's of bug fixes, new features and SLI support.
 
J-Mag said:
Arvig: I know that coolbits wont work, but can rivatuner still overclock the card with these drivers?


Sorry, have no idea, never tried that. When I saw that Coolbits didn't work, I saw the post about 76.10 beta, one I linked to and tried it, again other then an oddball glitch with Aquamark 3 that's infrequent, see no problem with it. If that wasn't out I was going to roll back to 71.90 beta, what I was using before I tried 71.84 final for a few minutes.

As an aside, I've now tried Aquamark 3 (minor problems, will still report score), 3dMark 05 (no apparent problems), LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth (no apparent problems, am using a graphics card profile that enables SLI) and Half Life 2 (no apparent problems). Will be getting Freedom Force vrs the 3rd Reich in the mail in a day or three, don't think it's SLI enabled but I guess if I remember, I can post if it seems to work with my driver. ;)

76.10 beta isn't reporting lower temps then 71.84 or 71.90 beta, but my temps never seemed high for stock heatsinks, so not sure I ever personally encountered the temp bug. I do set both my 2d and 3d settings in coolbits to the same overclock, and set it to apply at startup, so maybe I'm doing some work around the temp bug anyway, my GPU OC is a bit above 400.
 
I did a Firmware upgrade on mine to raise the core voltage by .1 and am running at 450/1200 with stock HSF in a case with 71.84 and am not having temperature issues, no artifcating, games work just fine.

My idle temp in 2D at 450MHz core with the .1 voltage increase is 59c right now with 71.84. It's warm, and in 3D it goes a lot higher, but I don't get any artifacting and it works.
 
Will install the drivers @ lunch which is in 15 mins!!! :D my idle is 46c we'll see what it changes to after the driver update..
 
The bug only occurs at 2D core speeds BELOW 400. SO far, I have only seen the bug on 6800 GT's and 6800 Vanilla. If you overclock 2D speeds above 400, the temperatures will drop to what they should be.

UPDATE: I flashed my BIOS to the latest Nvidia default for the 6800 GT AGP, and the temp bug went away. The BIOS can be found at http://www.nvplanet.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=11. Tutorials on flashing can be found in this subforum, on the frontpage.
 
Ok Updated Driver Temp went up to 48c during idle in windows :D Or maybe the room just got hotter who knows.. :D
 
You guys are also missing that this update brings a 64bit version of the driver for xp64.
 
Arvig said:
I did try Coolbits, and it did the same thing that 71.84 beta did, not allow any overclock at all. In fact, it told me my "overclock" failed when I tested at below stock speeds.

Didn't have that problem when I used 71.84 (now using 76.10), maybe bc I have 6800nu?
 
J-Mag said:
Arvig: I know that coolbits wont work, but can rivatuner still overclock the card with these drivers?
you might have to turn on this option:
disableinternalclocktest.png
 
Don't know if anyone cares, but I just installed the 71.84 officals and my idle temp is identical to the 66.93s that I just move from. Zero change. I'm not ocing or anything...this is on a xfx 6800gt.
 
There must be something wrong w/these drivers in the thermal monitoring department. My 6800GTs would hover in the mid 70s during load but when I updated to the latest they hit over 90. Funny thing is now my ambient temps are lower, much lower. Could they have been switched?
 
|MaguS| said:
Nothing more then the betas really, same date... nothing has changed from Beta to "official".

Nvidia is really pissing me off as of late.

Now I'm not an expert on coding or drivers or apps or anything like that, but if they changed the beta, wouldn't they have to put the changes through beta testing aswell, so the changed driver would still be beta?

Surely the principle requirement of a beta driver becoming official is that it doesn't change?
 
Kind of a nOOb question, but why does Coolbits stop working with this version of the driver? It worked great for me with the 71.81 beta.
 
my temps are like 73C idle now!!

like a 13C increase!! WTF!

I guess, I won't install these drivers on my Shuttle its too hot in there already!
 
kirbyrj said:
Kind of a nOOb question, but why does Coolbits stop working with this version of the driver? It worked great for me with the 71.81 beta.
coolbits works with 71.84. You just need to reinstall coolbits.reg.
 
pxc said:
coolbits works with 71.84. You just need to reinstall coolbits.reg.

I did, but I can't overclock anymore with it. Anytime I try to change frequencies, it says that it failed the test and won't let me run anything over stock speed.

I ended up using the 75.90a Xtreme G drivers and they work fine. Finally cracked 15k in 3dmark03 :D .
 
Back
Top