ocz Stinks :(

Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
592
Pc was running hot, red lines and flashing dots, crashes, wmvs acting strange, programs going corrupt...

Adding a new ram chip and everything is new again :-\
 
what voltage are you running that RAM on and what motherboard are you using?

not to mention FSB's, etc...
 
several ocz ram chips require higher than standard voltage to operate properly, this was most likely your issue. also why the intel processors forum?
 
Yea.. odd place to put a RAM issue.

Did you contact OCZ Support about the issue?
 
OCZ has been rock solid for me with the best overclocks and has one of the best customer support.
 
essasin said:
OCZ has been rock solid for me with the best overclocks and has one of the best customer support.
seconded. and just cause one stick goes bad (which we don't know the background historyu on.. volts? cooling? handling methods? ect), that means the entire company sucks?

this means if you were to get a cpu that didn't work out of the box, intel/amd sucks? :confused:
 
I love ocz, ocz is in my pentium d build. But ocz seems to have alot of problems with conroe builds, esp p5bs...
 
I tried both my 667 ddr2 and my 800 ddr2 ocz... neither worked in my conroe build.

Just a warning, good luck if you try ocz in a conroe build.
 
Newsboys2004 said:
I tried both my 667 ddr2 and my 800 ddr2 ocz... neither worked in my conroe build.

Just a warning, good luck if you try ocz in a conroe build.


Just FYI, Its not a "conroe" problem. Its a motherboard/ram problem. Especially with the Gigabyte DS3. Its default voltage is 1.9v, thats not even enough voltage to boot some sticks of memory. Namely the Gskill HZ.

I've ran both DDR2 800 and 1000 in my P5W and had no issues. Even thou the 800 wouldn't run its rated timings, it still ran fine.
 
I'm really happy with my OCZ 800, too. Once I upped the vDIMM in my DS3 BIOS it's run rock solid.
 
Argh. We really need a "Overclockers RAM + P965" sticky.

A lot of 965 boards undervolt "overclockers" memory, this includes the DS3 and P5B. You have to go into your BIOS and manually set the voltage and timings of your memory. Until you do, your memory is being undervolted and run with the wrong timings, which will most definetely cause instability.
 
WesM63 said:
Just FYI, Its not a "conroe" problem. Its a motherboard/ram problem. Especially with the Gigabyte DS3. Its default voltage is 1.9v, thats not even enough voltage to boot some sticks of memory. Namely the Gskill HZ.

I've ran both DDR2 800 and 1000 in my P5W and had no issues. Even thou the 800 wouldn't run its rated timings, it still ran fine.


It Defaults to 1.8v. The GSkill HZ never had any problems. It was the ZX models. I know because I was one of its victims.

I have an old stick of AMPRO 533MHz that only needs 1.8v. I used this to set the voltage to 2.1v in the BIOS. Sadly, it wouldn't run stable at 667MHz also:mad: I RMA-ed it to GSKill and got it replaced DDR2-800 NR that was nothing more than rebadged DDR2-667 as well. At least it's stable at 667MHz. A lot of money for DDR2 677 that was much cheaper at that time.

I know of at least two others who had problems with OCZ because a certain high voltage model, not all OCZ RAM or all GSkill. Any RAM that needs about 2.1v might cause a problem because the initial voltage sent to the RAM isn't enough to start up the system, i.e. make it into the BIOS. Like the "Cold Boot" issues of old.
 
my OCZ DDR800 has been runnin' awesome in my C2 setup, it even runs past stock hehe, I have to loosen the timings to get it to OC though, right now I'm runnin' at a little under stock with 5-4-4-15 timings
 
I've got a mixed bag myself...

I have 1 stick that works, 1 that won't. I'm RMA'ing the one that won't post.

I'm also probably going to try some beta versions of the BIOS (Asus P5B deluxe WIFI) that are out there since they are supposed to fix incompatibilities with OCZ RAM.

YMMV
 
Well,

To recap:
I have two sticks of ocz2g8002gk and the P5B deluxe wifi. One stick would post, the other one would not.

I did a bit of playing around yesterday with the beta bios 607 and 609 and here's what I found.

Both versions of the beta bios WORK with the stick that would not post with the 507 and prev versions.

Just a FYI.
 
OCZ were know to overclock their ram speed back in the day...

I don't trust them...

Give me Corsair, Kingston, Infineon chips anyday...
 
Marvelous said:
OCZ were know to overclock their ram speed back in the day...
er.. the mobo overclocks things. memory runs at what the mobo decides it should. i could understand making an SPD that is too agressive for what the memory can handle, but what you just said makes me go " :confused: "
 
This isn't an OCZ thing. It's Intel's 965 chipset. It doesn't support voltages over 1.8 or timings under 5-5-5. This is well documented on thier site.
You should've done your homework.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
er.. the mobo overclocks things. memory runs at what the mobo decides it should. i could understand making an SPD that is too agressive for what the memory can handle, but what you just said makes me go " :confused: "
I'm pretty sure there was a fiasco where OCZ sold DDR266 overclocked to DDR400, and got a lot of flack for it.
 
InorganicMatter said:
I'm pretty sure there was a fiasco where OCZ sold DDR266 overclocked to DDR400, and got a lot of flack for it.
well, depends on how you look at it. you know how many enthusiast sticks are based off micron D9GMH that are spec'ed for 400mhz and 500mhz? you know what D9GMH's stock speed is? yeah, 333mhz. wouldn't that technically be "ddr2-667 overclocked to ddr2-1000"? why aren't all those companies getting flack for it now?

yes, i know OCZ used to be very shady, but they are not anymore. i'm just confused by the examples you guys are giving.. :p
 
Archer75 said:
This isn't an OCZ thing. It's Intel's 965 chipset. It doesn't support voltages over 1.8 or timings under 5-5-5. This is well documented on thier site.
You should've done your homework.
really? then how come boards like intel P5B DLX (i965 ;))are awesome overclockers with high vdimm and low timings? i think it's a specific board/bios issue, not the chipset itself being lame.. which would be exceptionally un-wise of intel anyhow :p
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
really? then how come boards like intel P5B DLX (i965 ;))are awesome overclockers with high vdimm and low timings? i think it's a specific board/bios issue, not the chipset itself being lame.. which would be exceptionally un-wise of intel anyhow :p
Correct. Like I said, that memory REQUIRES 2.1v, and your motherboard defaults to 1.8v. Blame ASUS, not Intel or OCZ.

And as for OCZ's business practises, I have not qualms about a company releasing a product that's pre-overclocked (video cards, memory, whatever), but they need to make sure it actually works before they release it (I'm talking to you, OCZ and eVGA).
 
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 [2-2-2-5] is keeping my Opty165 stable @ 2.67 ghz at stock volts/timings @ T1 for almost a complete year now, no complaints :)
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
really? then how come boards like intel P5B DLX (i965 ;))are awesome overclockers with high vdimm and low timings? i think it's a specific board/bios issue, not the chipset itself being lame.. which would be exceptionally un-wise of intel anyhow :p

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/ddr2/index.htm

Intel boards have issues with memory as documented there. This also translates into the chipset such as on the Gigabyte DS3 board among others.
 
Archer75 said:
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/ddr2/index.htm

Intel boards have issues with memory as documented there. This also translates into the chipset such as on the Gigabyte DS3 board among others.

That's just Intel covering their asses and saying that they are only responsible for JEDEC standards. It's like them saying that if you OC your CPU, they aren't responsible for system instability. It's not saying there is a flaw in the chipset itself that won't allow stable operation at Cas 4 or lower timings or above 1.8V.
 
kirbyrj said:
It's not saying there is a flaw in the chipset itself that won't allow stable operation at Cas 4 or lower timings or above 1.8V.

That's exactly what they're saying. And it's evident in several boards based on the 965 chipset. Several posts here in the memory board, in the Intel section of motherboards and individual forums for various motherboard manufactureres. It's been acknowleged again and again as a problem. You can't tell me this is the first time you're hearing this?!
 
Archer75 said:
That's exactly what they're saying. And it's evident in several boards based on the 965 chipset. Several posts here in the memory board, in the Intel section of motherboards and individual forums for various motherboard manufactureres. It's been acknowleged again and again as a problem. You can't tell me this is the first time you're hearing this?!

This is the first time I'm hearing this (not that I was really looking around since I don't have this problem). I don't have problems running at CAS 4 or at voltages over 1.8V on either the AB9 Pro or the DS3 and both are 965 based.

I still don't think that's what that article was saying. I went back and read it again.
 
kirbyrj said:
This is the first time I'm hearing this (not that I was really looking around since I don't have this problem). I don't have problems running at CAS 4 or at voltages over 1.8V on either the AB9 Pro or the DS3 and both are 965 based.

I still don't think that's what that article was saying. I went back and read it again.

There are even a few reviews of the DS3 board that mentions the memory issues. I'll see if I can find them again if you want.
 
Archer75 said:
There are even a few reviews of the DS3 board that mentions the memory issues. I'll see if I can find them again if you want.

If you could find them, send me a link (either here or in a PM). I'm interested seeing as I don't have problems, but if there's something out there that might be a problem, I'd like to know about it :).
 
we all know the ds3 sucks ;)

i still don't buy it, that the 965 has an issue that severe. intel would never allow it out the door with compatibility issues like that.
 
Archer75 said:
That's exactly what they're saying. And it's evident in several boards based on the 965 chipset. Several posts here in the memory board, in the Intel section of motherboards and individual forums for various motherboard manufactureres. It's been acknowleged again and again as a problem. You can't tell me this is the first time you're hearing this?!

Actually it isn't.

here's a quote:
Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel® Desktop Boards based on Intel® 965 Express Chipsets¹. Any other timings or voltages above 1.8V

The important part is INTEL DESKTOP BOARDS. This is referring to boards manufactured by Intel specifically that include the 965 Express chipsets. This doesn't mean that all boards based on the i965 chipset don't support timings lower than 4-4-4 and voltages higher than 1.8, only that Intel-branded boards based on those chipsets have the issue. And it's not a bug in the chipset, it's because they don't allow you to change those options in the BIOS.

Having worked with the P5B and DS3 and DQ6 for the past few weeks, I can say that the chipset DOES support higher VDIMM and lower latencies. I've personally run memory at CAS4 at over 1100 MHz.
 
Archer75 said:
This isn't an OCZ thing. It's Intel's 965 chipset. It doesn't support voltages over 1.8 or timings under 5-5-5. This is well documented on thier site.
You should've done your homework.

Dear God, this again ? they are talking about intel brand of motherboards NOT THE FREAKING CHIPSET specs. Find your statement in the technical/electrical specs for the chipset and I will eat this post. Intel bios/board designers made the same mistake several other manufactures did by not during boot to try a higher Vdimm if the board didnt boot at the standard 1.8Vdimm. Several manufacturers, Asus and Gigabyte for example have already released updated bios to mainly fix this problem. In a month this issue will be as rare as hens teeth.

My P695-DQ6 runs 4 4 4 12 quite welll thank you, up to memory speeds of 900 MHz (450 FSB with 2:1 memory divider) where due the the extream overclock I have to loosen up to 5 5 5 12.

you did a good job looking for issues, just had a little trouble interperting what you found. .
 
BillParrish said:
Several manufacturers, Asus and Gigabyte for example have already released updated bios to mainly fix this problem. In a month this issue will be as rare as hens teeth.

So you are acknowledging that the issue did indeed exist for other manufacturers. Which would indeed make it a chipset issue.
Though, as you have stated, it was resolved by a bios update from those manufacturers? It seems the Gigabyte update was only in the past few days.

So it is still very much a problem if you get a board without the updated bios and your ram requires more volts than what is supplied by default. Which would make it not post correct? You would then be unable to update your bios unless if you bought some ram that does meet the requirements of the default bios so it would post and you could change the bios settings and then put in the ram you really want to use.
 
Having trolled around the forums on www.bleedinedge.com and www.xtremesystems.org I can say that it's a problem with immature 965P based boards being released.

I couldn't get my OCZ PC5400/667 RAM working on my DS3, which had F1 (first released BIOS) originally. I used some other Kingston ValuRam and upgraded the BIOS to F5 which fixed my issue. Memtest ran for over 8 hours error-free with the OCZ Ram at all the timings as long as I had the voltage at 2.0 or 2.1 v.

Basically it boils down to the fact that the initial BIOS releases for the DS3 and P5B had problems with OCZ, Geil, Corsair and other overclocker RAM from the start, and most peoples' issues have been solved with numerous recent BIOS releases.

On www.dfi-street.com is a good Intel-based overclockers guide. Intel-based chipsets are not nearly as straightforward as the Nforce/AMD based chipsetsand that's also part of the problem.

And, as far as OCZ being shady, I can honestly say their service has been nothing but outstanding for me and others who have had problems with their RAM. A friend of mine had a stick go bad (he had 2 x 512MB) and because they didn't carry the model he had, they upgraded him to 2GB (2x1GB) for free.I had an issue with a 3-year old RAM stick last year and brought it to their Canadian office, because I worked close by. That Friday they were moving to a new office, but still took the RMA and by next Tuesday, I had a new stick of RAM.

That's what I call service. Their tech support is also pretty darn good IMHO.

Cheers,

10e
 
Back
Top