OCZ Agility 60gb - $170 AR @ newegg

You don't need AHCI for good speed on an SSD, I use my 40GB Kingston/Intel on a board that doesn't have it and it's fast. I haven't benched it or anything, so don't flame, all I know is it's damned fast.

I don't have AHCI either (Mine has a nVidia controller) and my 60 GB Agility has steadly gone down hill in performance over the last week. I will never buy another SSD until they have windows programs like sanitize errase, garbage clean, safe ssd defrag, for all systems, not just the one's with AHCI, not to mention all those darn tweaks many use to get better results. What a hassel. Hard Drives are so much easier. ;)

I don't have AHCI either (Mine has a nVidia controller) and my 60 GB Agility has steadly gone down hill in performance over the last week. I will never buy another SSD until they have windows programs like sanitize errase, garbage clean, safe ssd defrag, for all systems, not just the one's with AHCI, not to mention all those darn tweaks many use to get better results. What a hassel. Hard Drives are so much easier. ;)
haha it's pretty dumb to complain about the lack of performance when you don't have the proper storage controller to take advantage of an SSD

Also for anyone that didnt get the newegg newsletter, they have a 80GB X25-m Co-Logo A-Data SSD for 229 +Tax

haha it's pretty dumb to complain about the lack of performance when you don't have the proper storage controller to take advantage of an SSD

Agreed. A better controller can take advantage of more features and improve performance and reliability of modern mechanical hard drives as well. And a lot of modern cheapo motherboards will do just fine!

Latest 1.5 firmware has garbage collection built in, shouldn't "need" AHCI for it to work. You're not going to get the same performance as you would on an intel controller, but performance should remain the same over time.

i got this when it was $170AR, so i was pretty pissed when i woke up this morning and saw the same drive for $130AR. i called up newegg and the rep credited my account the $30 in less than 5 minutes of phone time!

love newegg

grats misfitsfiend glad to see that some co's give a sh#$

not many but some do

Latest 1.5 firmware has garbage collection built in, shouldn't "need" AHCI for it to work. You're not going to get the same performance as you would on an intel controller, but performance should remain the same over time.

Exactly.

is it better than x25-V, performance wise?

Overall, and for the price, yes... Much better sequential writes (stuff will install much quicker), random writes might not be as fast but they're close, and it's only $10-40 more depending on how good a deal you managed to snag, heh. For more than $180 I'd say it's not worth it tho... At that point you're better off w/an 80GB X25-M for $250 (if you can afford the extra expense, you end up paying roughly the same per GB).

The 120GB Agility is actually cheaper per GB than any of those... Comes in at $2.50 per GB whereas all the smaller drives are at ~$3. At $300 AR it's obviously a larger investment right off the bat tho.

Edit: GC on the OCZ/Indillix drives is almost as good as having TRIM, so even if your mobo doesn't support AHCI or w/e you can take advantage of that... You just have to make a few concessions in order to insure it runs properly, GC happens during idle time and if certain apps or processes are constantly scanning the SSD when the system is idle then they'll never give GC a chance to work. I've heard simply logging off your user in Windows will suspend most of that background stuff.

Last edited:
i got this when it was $170AR, so i was pretty pissed when i woke up this morning and saw the same drive for $130AR. i called up newegg and the rep credited my account the $30 in less than 5 minutes of phone time!

love newegg

Newegg has done that a lot for me, tho usually the discounts were only $10-20... Happened last year w/my GTX 260 and very recently w/an external WD HD I bought for my sister. In some cases they'll even credit ya the difference as much as a week later (if that's when the discount happened). They may price gouge a lot on hot items but in terms of service Newegg treats me well enough that it's still the first place I look when I'm shopping for parts.

I'm on the fence on this deal or waiting till my next upgrade as I have a XFX 780i MB with OC'd Q6600 with 150 GB raptor that's working pretty well for me. I plan on loading Win 7 Pro 64 bit on a single SSD.

I"ve read mixed things as in Win 7 has the drivers for TRIM to work properly and that the latest firmware on the drive makes ACHI unnecessary but I won't see as good performance.

I don't care about benchmarks but real world performance. My main concern in reading the OCZ forums and here is data degradation, but alot of those thread dealt with XP or Vista on a 780i.

Anyone with Win 7 and a 780i have any advice? Thanks. If it's only marginal real world performance over the Raptor, it's not worth it to me. I do gaming, Photoshop, Office apps, and some video editing on my machine.

Hmm, I didn't realize the deal was back in play, last I checked they were sold out... Tempting.

II"ve read mixed things as in Win 7 has the drivers for TRIM to work properly and that the latest firmware on the drive makes ACHI unnecessary but I won't see as good performance. I don't care about benchmarks but real world performance. My main concern in reading the OCZ forums and here is data degradation, but alot of those thread dealt with XP or Vista on a 780i.

Anyone with Win 7 and a 780i have any advice? Thanks. If it's only marginal real world performance over the Raptor, it's not worth it to me. I do gaming, Photoshop, Office apps, and some video editing on my machine.

I've no idea what the conflict with the NV mobos and TRIM is, but these OCZ drives support GC which works nearly as well as TRIM (see my post above). Performance would eventually degrade without either of those but if your system can remain idle long enough to let GC do it's thing then it seems to work as well as TRIM does in real-time, effectively negating any performance degradation issues over time. I haven't heard of any data degradation issues, tho NV mobos were plauged w/data corruption issues at various times...

As far as whether it'd be worth it... Depends, Photoshop and any other 'heavy' app is gonna load noticeably faster. The difference is fast imo, 'specially when you're multi-tasking, way larger than the difference between a Raptor and a regular HDD. If you're working w/a large video file it may benefit you to move it to the SSD first and then start working, I'd be willing to bet the difference would be very noticeable there as well... In general use of the system the SSD still helps, but it's not like night and day. If you don't multi-task a lot or you mainly game then it's not worth it.

I'm enjoying mine, even on the netbook I think it was a nice lil' upgrade... It's definitely bottlenecked there but now it runs cooler and behaves way better when I'm multi-tasking heavily and the system starts paging stuff to the HD,

Anyone with Win 7 and a 780i have any advice? Thanks. If it's only marginal real world performance over the Raptor, it's not worth it to me.

I've seen posts where even with Intel stuff an SSD wasn't worth the money.

There's no way that I can tell if you think an SSD upgrade would be "worth it" but looking around at the majority of comments kinda makes me think "why would anyone question that it wouldn't be worth it"?

I've had 2 Intel 80GB units in RAID0 since May and my personal opinion is "why would anyone ask if it's worth it"?

It boils down to the money so stay on the porch if ya don't have it avaliable. :)

I was on the fence like a lot of people here. I have 2 VR's in Raid0 that should be fast enough but after watching how long it takes to load Windows 7 and opening programs on youtube (Photoshop CS4 took 2sec.) I bit and bought 2, 1 for my desktop and another 1 for my laptop.

Man, This sucks... I keep looking at telling myself I am going to get, but then the 60gb holds me back. I wish there was a deal like this for an 80gb'er. A few more beers and I might give in..err

They have the 120GB for $300 after rebate now as well. Not as good a deal but not bad either

how do I know if my motherboard has AHCI?

My oldest motherboard is a MSI based on the G31 chipset. I also have a Gigabyte based on the P45 chipset but I'm RMAing that one cause something is wrong with it.

duh, nevermind. Googled it

how do I know if my motherboard has AHCI?

My oldest motherboard is a MSI based on the G31 chipset. I also have a Gigabyte based on the P45 chipset but I'm RMAing that one cause something is wrong with it.

duh, nevermind. Googled it

Need exact model number. Even same chipsets can have different disk controller setups. For example, I have my x58 motherboard. It has the ICH9 from Intel. I have a dual SATA external enclosure that supposedly does RAID 1/0. When connected to the x58, I see both drives, because, as I've read, the ICH9 supports port multiplier. I think even when connected to the JMicron controller on my x58 both drives show up.

My MSI P45 motherboard also has the ICH9, as well as a JMicron controller, but there is not a single port on that mobo that I can get both drives to show up on, regardless of settings.

Both those boards should support port multipliers, and it boggles my mind that they don't. Anyways, get your exact model number and we can probably look it up.

got mine in the mail today! can't test it out yet because i'm still deciding on a mobo/case. anyway, am i gonna have to buy an adapter or something to allow it to lock into place? it doesn't look like it can fit properly in the case without one..

Great deal... wish the 120GB was priced at twice this =P

Last edited:
ok I got mine NOW the hastles start.
The rebate said a copy of the sales invoice/receipt.
I get a packing list and that is it.
What kind of denial is this going to cause?

So far I've received three OCZ rebates. I registered for the rebate on-line and then printed out and submitted my Newegg on-line invoice. Just be prepared for a long wait. As always, make copies just in case.

Yeah just print the invoice online or call in and ask, shouldn't be a big deal. I'm using mine with this bracket, it was one of the nicer 2.5-to-5.25" brackets I could find (metal rather than plastic) for a decent price, and there's still room on it for a second drive should I ever decide to get one for some RAID action.

I wanted to mount it directly into a 5.25" bay because of my case's specific layout... The front 120mm intake fan sits on the 3.5" bay and I wanted to keep it clear of drives and move it up a few bays so it sucks air in around the middle-to-top of the case and pushes it directly over the top of the GPU and RAM. My 640GB HDD sits on the bottom of the case completely decoupled on a slab of foam to avoid noise vibration transfer, works rather well.

3.5-to-5.25" brackets are much more common... In fact I got a spare one that came w/my retail packaged X25-M. :p

ok I got mine NOW the hastles start.
The rebate said a copy of the sales invoice/receipt.
I get a packing list and that is it.
What kind of denial is this going to cause?
Yeah, I printed out the invoice from newegg also.

As for the barcode, the form says to "affix here" so I unless I'm misunderstanding we glue or staple it on top of the sample image.

ALSO, there are two barcodes on the box: one that has the OCZ hologram and the other on a green sticker with specs above it. Interestingly, it seems that the one on the cheap green sticker (the bar code number is listed in the directions) is the one we send in.

Last edited:
They prefer tape for "affixing UPC" because it's easy to remove but holds it in place.

And all websites store the invoices online for printing out. (Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc.) So you login to your account, print out the invoice.

I've done probably close to 100 rebates and only a couple companies have tried to screw me over... Sunbean Tech is one of them... Zotac is a little weird, they seem to be working it out for me though.

I'm interested in the 60GB for my thinkpad, but not sure if I should get an Intel SSD or not... was hoping to not spend over $150

Well, the 40GB X25-V is a pretty good buy for $110-120, but if you can get one of the 60GB OCZ drives for less than $160 during a special deal then I'd opt for that... And I own a 40GB X25-V myself. The performance difference between 'em is small enough that price per GB would be my primary concern. A larger drive not only lets you install more games to it, obviously, but makes it a lot more hassle-free to keep some empty space reserved for performance reasons.

I received an email confirmation of rebate receipt from OCZ. It linked to a full scan of my submitted rebate application including the postmarked envelope. I'm impressed.

It's a change from dropping the rebate in the mail with my fingers crossed and not hearing anything for months and then getting a postcard check after I've all but given up hope.

Back