Oculus Quest

Picked up a Quest so that my kids would leave my PC VR rig alone... well that worked great for about a day until the wife stole the Quest to start watching Netflix with it. Portability on the Quest is pretty awesome.

Here she is eating a rice crispy treat and binge watching Netflix while enjoying the great outdoors...

20190524_193006.jpg

Pretty impressed with what it can do. Very solid design/features/capabilities. The screen is a good bit sharper/clearer than the Rift. Won't be replacing PC VR anytime soon, but it is a fun side diversion for playing Beat Saber and watching Netflix without being tied to a PC.

Picked up a Quest so that my kids would leave my PC VR rig alone... well that worked great for about a day until the wife stole the Quest to start watching Netflix with it. Portability on the Quest is pretty awesome.

Here she is eating a rice crispy treat and binge watching Netflix while enjoying the great outdoors...

View attachment 163080

Pretty impressed with what it can do. Very solid design/features/capabilities. The screen is a good bit sharper/clearer than the Rift. Won't be replacing PC VR anytime soon, but it is a fun side diversion for playing Beat Saber and watching Netflix without being tied to a PC.
Also seen rift cat has released a beta version of it's software that makes the quest work on steamVR. Won't be nearly as good as a proper pcvr setup but could be a fun way to do some pcvr coop with your kids if it works

Edit: link https://support.riftcat.com/hc/en-u...dge-on-Oculus-Quest-preview-?mobile_site=true

I have the original Vive and the Rift. I am really pleased with the simplicity of the Quest. I hated all the cables and bought a wireless for the Vive . It was a lot of trouble on its own. The Rift is a pain to setup properly with 4 sensors. I liked it but I think the Quest is a lot better for me than the others. I also think there will a lot of software available soon ported and developed specifically for Quest. I don't have any complaints about the tracking and the resolution, lack of rays and SDE are all better. I still have the others but doubt that I will use them much. Too much trouble and too many drawbacks to make it worthwhile. It is nice not to even require and internet connection except for setup and downloads. I tried streaming from an external USB C NVME ssd and movies are really impressive with Big Screen and a couple of other Quest apps. All in all very good , maybe Excellent. Certainly a lot cheaper also. I bought the 128GB version but, it probably wasn't really necessary. If you were able to run apps from an external source it would be great and may be possible sometime in the future.

Got my Quest last week also. Its my first VR usage and I'm really impressed with the immersion and visual quality. It gets a little hot wearing it for more than an hr but other than that loving it.

I am waiting on mine to arrive. Looking forward to vr in hotel rooms while traveling... Or shutout the confined spaces of coach and enjoy media on something larger than an 8” screen.

Side loaded Avatar 3D. Its almost to 3D to watch, pretty freaky. Messing with Virtual Desktop now.

Ok, after playing with it for a few more days, I'm fully sold on the Quest and will be keeping it. Does it replace PC VR for me? Nope, not even close. I also can't wait to get my hands on the Index to replace my Rift/Vive. Does the Quest do mobile VR exceedingly well? Hell yes! It is a blast to mess around with for "VR lite" gaming and does a really great job streaming video. For someone new to VR that can't afford a PC rig with the proper components/setup to drive PC VR adequately *and* spend $400 on the needed HMD as well, it really is a neat option.

anyone streaming steam and rift vr games to the quest with ALVR? im strongly thinking of selling my cv1 and switching to the quest because of it

So I will confess I have not search as hard as i could but how is setting up the Quest done? I assume requires a phone but then does it just use your wifi for things like streaming netflix or does it go through your phone to do that?

So I will confess I have not search as hard as i could but how is setting up the Quest done? I assume requires a phone but then does it just use your wifi for things like streaming netflix or does it go through your phone to do that?

Phone/tablet app is only needed once to set up the account. Once you install the app, it finds the Quest via bluetooth and transfers all the pertinent data to the Quest. It also performs a firmware update if needed. You only need the phone/tablet once for the initial setup which is very straight forward/painless. After that, you can do everything on the Quest itself as to account/store/library/settings/etc. and the phone/tablet app is no longer needed.

anyone streaming steam and rift vr games to the quest with ALVR? im strongly thinking of selling my cv1 and switching to the quest because of it

Don't. The quality of a VR game when streaming over Wi-Fi to the Quest is very potato as there is quite a bit of latency introduced as well as heavy image compression. For VR gaming, it's a very sub-par experience compared to native VR gaming on the Rift.

The damn thing is amazing, it produces pretty decent graphics while being tethered to nothing. Overall I am impressed.

For what the Quest is as to form/function/design and what it can do given the rather mediocre mobile CPU/GPU it is paired with (which helps keep its costs low BTW), the Quest is a pretty remarkable device.

My only minor gripe is the sub-par refresh (I really wish they had stuck with 90hz, but given the lack of HW power, I can see why they opted for 72hz instead)

Yes, the Quest lacks any real power for more complex games/graphics, but in the mobile VR space, with somewhat dumbed down graphics, it still works really well. The quality of the screen and what it can deliver as to a VR experience with true 6DoF in a completely mobile package are pretty remarkable

Oh, and my only other gripe is their charging an additional $100 to go from the 64GB model version ($399) to 128GB model version ($499). That's a joke as the price difference in memory part costs to them is at most $10. They really should have sweetened the deal more with a travel case and/or some extra game bundle for the 128GB model version.

Overall, I am still very impressed though. It's definitely a break-thru device in the world of VR and will do quite a bit to get VR technology more readily adopted by the masses due to its simplicity, ease of use, and much lower cost entry point when compared to PC VR.

Last edited:
Yeah I will probably get one just for when i travel so i can have something to do. Wonder how you get it on Hotel wifi generally those have a click x to agree to our terms before they let you on. Not that you would need their for games but never know.

Yeah I will probably get one just for when i travel so i can have something to do. Wonder how you get it on Hotel wifi generally those have a click x to agree to our terms before they let you on. Not that you would need their for games but never know.

I would image it would be just like it is today with a phone or tablet. The Quest has a built-in web browser that you can access. After going into the Quest's settings and selecting the new wifi access point (and providing it's password if necessary), you would then just open up the browser in the Quest and get the hotel's agreement to terms/conditions and acknowledge them. Yes, the Quest lets you browse the internet as well, just like a phone/tablet.

ive tried the quest with ALVR streaming games to it. racing games are bit meh. but others including skyrim, lone echo doom vfr its actually pretty damn good. even the quest version of robo recall is a pretty conversion.

I bought a new ac1900 5ghz router just for this purpose. Pc is hardwired to the router and I'm standing in the same room as it maybe 5 feet away. I've tried alvr and just bought virtual desktop. The latency is not bad but the image quality is kinda shitty. Some games I don't really notice but some, like blade and sorcery, it looks pretty bad. That being said it's still new and I was surprised at how good the native quest games looked and played.

Back