Oculus Quest 2

It shouldn't matter, just know all your purchases are tied to the account you're using and you're not going to be able to play those games if you end up switching accounts. Unless they support the family sharing thing.

Does that include steam games ?

Does facebook care also if you create a dummy facebook account? Not to actually use on facebook.com but to use with the vr headset only.

If so I will just use one of my family member's accounts instead.

Does facebook care also if you create a dummy facebook account? Not to actually use on facebook.com but to use with the vr headset only.

If so I will just use one of my family member's accounts instead.
If by dummy you mean with a fake name or a second account-- DON'T do it. That is something facebook looks very unfavorably on. Sooner or later they will cancel your account and you will lose any games/software you paid for.

If by dummy you mean with a fake name or a second account-- DON'T do it. That is something facebook looks very unfavorably on. Sooner or later they will cancel your account and you will lose any games/software you paid for.

Not at all true, you can have a second account as long as it's legitimate, uses your real name and a real email. The only reason they would clamp down is if you used the account to spam, harass or other wise break their rules. If it's just a regular account that you log into every once in a while there won't be an issue.

Not at all true, you can have a second account as long as it's legitimate, uses your real name and a real email. The only reason they would clamp down is if you used the account to spam, harass or other wise break their rules. If it's just a regular account that you log into every once in a while there won't be an issue.
"Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities. It's against the Facebook Community Standards to maintain more than one personal account."
https://www.facebook.com/help/975828035803295

They don't crack down as hard on this as on using a fake name but I personally wouldn't risk buying hundreds of dollars of software on an account facebook could shut down later.

"Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities. It's against the Facebook Community Standards to maintain more than one personal account."
https://www.facebook.com/help/975828035803295

They don't crack down as hard on this as on using a fake name but I personally wouldn't risk buying hundreds of dollars of software on an account facebook could shut down later.
I and many of my family members and friends have/had multiple accounts for years with no issues, often one is work focused (still with your name and photo) and the other is personal.

I and many of my family members and friends have/had multiple accounts for years with no issues, often one is work focused (still with your name and photo) and the other is personal.
If it works for you, great.

However, I've personally experienced issues with multiple accounts and I might even have posted about it here sometime ago but I can't remember. I had an old account I forgot about from my college days. When Oculus was forcing the transfer from oculus accounts to FB, I created a new FB account because I forgot I had the old one. It messed things up and I couldn't access my games or headset for like 3 weeks while FB/oculus customer support sorted things out. Maybe its fine now and the issues were specific to the migration process but not something I'd recommend others risk if they don't have to.

EDIT: 3 weeks was a bit of an exaggeration it seems. I just checked my emails and apparently I contacted support on 10/09/2020, got a response asking for more info on 10/16 and the issue was resolved on 10/21/2020 so 12 days or so. But yeah, still was an annoying experience.

Last edited:
If it works for you, great.

However, I've personally experienced issues with multiple accounts and I might even have posted about it here sometime ago but I can't remember. I had an old account I forgot about from my college days. When Oculus was forcing the transfer from oculus accounts to FB, I created a new FB account because I forgot I had the old one. It messed things up and I couldn't access my games or headset for like 3 weeks while FB/oculus customer support sorted things out. Maybe its fine now and the issues were specific to the migration process but not something I'd recommend others risk if they don't have to.

EDIT: 3 weeks was a bit of an exaggeration it seems. I just checked my emails and apparently I contacted support on 10/09/2020, got a response asking for more info on 10/16 and the issue was resolved on 10/21/2020 so 12 days or so. But yeah, still was an annoying experience.
Did you use the same email on both because that would literally be the only way it could cause problems. The way Facebook differentiates accounts is via emails.

Different emails. They solved the problem by running an override and unlinking my oculus account from the FB accounts. I'm still using a non Facebook login... worried that when I eventually try linking up again for multuliplayer stuff problems will occur again.

EDIT: I'm in a pickle because I can't delete my old account due to it using a school email I no longer have access to. So both accounts still exist and I'm afraid my oculus games will go into the void again if I try linking again. Customer service was like you are not supposed to have two accounts. Maybe this bug has been fixed since last year IDK.

Last edited:
Different emails. They solved the problem by running an override and unlinking my oculus account from the FB accounts. I'm still using a non Facebook login... worried that when I eventually try linking up again for multuliplayer stuff problems will occur again.

EDIT: I'm in a pickle because I can't delete my old account due to it using a school email I no longer have access to. So both accounts still exist and I'm afraid my oculus games will go into the void again if I try linking again. Customer service was like you are not supposed to have two accounts. Maybe this bug has been fixed since last year IDK.

Try contacting the Facebook/Oculus support? If the email does not exist anymore that should be easily verified, anything they send to it would boomerang back with an error. 🤔

Try contacting the Facebook/Oculus support? If the email does not exist anymore that should be easily verified, anything they send to it would boomerang back with an error. 🤔
They won't do anything. They will redirect you to this policy that you are supposed to delete the duplicate account yourself as it's against the terms of service.

https://m.facebook.com/help/203498356357867

Maybe I just got unlucky with the support agent I guess I could try again. I just might have to as I do want to play multiplayer now with a relative I'm buying a quest for.

FB customer service is abysmal. Remember the news stories stating that people were buying quests just to access the slightly better customer service available through Oculus to try to recover their accounts from various problems.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22609603/facebook-account-hacked-access-oculus-quest

EDIT: I hope I'm not coming across as discouraging anyone from getting a quest. It's great hardware at a killer price. Some frustrations with FB but just also wanted to warn anyone thinking of running multiple Facebook accounts. May have worked fine for the other guy but not so well for me and I didn't even do it intentionally.

Last edited:
Yeah it's not worth trying to use fake ones. Just use a real one, you don't actually need to actively use facebook. If you're worried about people knowing you play just max out the privacy settings. No one on facebook knows what I play or even knows I have a Quest 2, and I never use actual facebook. My last post was like 10 years ago on January 1st saying "I haven't pooped all year". At this point my facebook account is functionally the same as a Steam account for me.

They won't do anything. They will redirect you to this policy that you are supposed to delete the duplicate account yourself as it's against the terms of service.

https://m.facebook.com/help/203498356357867

Maybe I just got unlucky with the support agent I guess I could try again. I just might have to as I do want to play multiplayer now with a relative I'm buying a quest for.

But if you cannot delete it due to non-functioning email then cannot they help? I know Facebook support is ass but this seems like such a basic problem that it should not be an issue. 🤔

Alternatively they can change the email to another one which would make deleting it yourself easier. This is not a first time people have lost access to their email that is linked to their FB account.

Last edited:

It's against their terms and conditions that you have two accounts. But, they have only really started clamping down on this in the last couple of years. And they ramped that up even more last year around the Election. You and your family are just lucky that you have those accounts setup for years. However, you are breaking the rules, you just haven't got caught.

Is it possible or easy to wear over the ear headphones while using a vr headset?

Oculus Quest 2 usb 3 cable does it go a certain way or does either end work no matter which end is connected to the other?

I can't get it to work :(

Official Link cable? I am not sure about that but I do use a third party active cable and that has direction, the end closest to the black box goes into the PC. What cable are you using?

Oculus Quest 2 usb 3 cable does it go a certain way or does either end work no matter which end is connected to the other?

I can't get it to work :(

Check to see if you have AirLink turned on in the headset or on the Oculus App on the PC. Link cable won't work if AirLink is turned on.

I was at Target for something and decided to buy it. I'm disappointed tbh, it's very blurry/low-res.. feels like a $300 entry level 1st gen thing you'd expect. This is kind of what putting on the cardboard Google "VR" googles over my smartphone felt like. The headset itself is comfy enough and the controllers are good quality too. But the actual graphics and resolution are just too low. I see now why it's $300 and other headsets are much more expensive.

I also bought a Link cable thinking I could play SteamVR games and my Elite Dangerous in VR over it.. nope. Those are for real VR headsets it turns out like the Index and Rift. So what is even the Link cable useful for??

I haven't played any games on it yet (just seeing how blurry the "home" is makes me not even want to really spend money on games, lol.., but I'll grab the Humble Bundle going on and try it tomorrow). But fully expecting to return it in a week. Thanks gosh USA has such generous return policies.

I'm sorry, I usually don't like to post negative things, just sharing my honest initial impressions and thoughts for others. If you don't care about fidelity & graphics and think you'll be easily wowed by the thought of having a 360 degree view of a smartphone graphics game and won't mind, go for it.

Also, I didn't have a FB account before now, and Facebook literally would not accept my last name during registration, thinking I was putting on a fake name and directed me to send them my driver's license as proof if I wanted to use it LOL 🖕 I just went ahead and used a different last name and registered that way. I'm not sending that company my ID.. gotta be kidding me, sending ID to be able to register to use the thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Target for something and decided to buy it. I'm disappointed tbh, it's very blurry/low-res.. feels like a $300 entry level 1st gen thing you'd expect. This is kind of what putting on the cardboard Google "VR" googles over my smartphone felt like. The headset itself is comfy enough and the controllers are good quality too. But the actual graphics and resolution are just too low. It's like playing a game on PC on "very low" settings with DLSS/FSR set to "highest performance" on a modern PC, basically feels like playing a retro game 640x480 from back in the 90s. I see now why it's $300 and other headsets are much more expensive.

I also bought a Link cable thinking I could play SteamVR games and my Elite Dangerous in VR over it.. nope. Those are for real VR headsets it turns out like the Index and Rift. So what is even the Link cable useful for??

I haven't played any games on it yet (just seeing how blurry the "home" is makes me not even want to really spend money on games, lol.., but I'll grab the Humble Bundle going on and try it tomorrow). But fully expecting to return it in a week. Thanks gosh USA has such generous return policies.

I'm sorry, I usually don't like to post negative things, just sharing my honest initial impressions and thoughts for others. If you don't care about fidelity & graphics and think you'll be easily wowed by the thought of having a 360 degree view of a smartphone graphics game and won't mind, go for it.

I have no idea what you're on about. I have played MANY PCVR games over WiFi at 120fps, previously with Virtual Desktop, and more recently with AirLink and it was a really good experience. What games did you try? The Q2 should work with all SteamVR games.

Also FYI the resolution on the quest 2 is higher than the Valve Index, so again I have no idea what you mean by low res. Are you sure you set your IPD correctly?

I have no idea what you're on about. I have played MANY PCVR games over WiFi at 120fps, previously with Virtual Desktop, and more recently with AirLink and it was a really good experience. What games did you try? The Q2 should work with all SteamVR games.

Also FYI the resolution on the quest 2 is higher than the Valve Index, so again I have no idea what you mean by low res. Are you sure you set your IPD correctly?
How do you play SteamVR? For example if you go to https://store.steampowered.com/vr/ you can see on the right side the selections, Oculus Quest 2 isn't even listed. When you click a random game, ie

it tells you what it's compatible with, I haven't seen a game that lists OQ2

Yeah I tried the 3 settings of IPD. That doesn't upscale the resolution unfortunately :cry:

How do you play SteamVR? For example if you go to https://store.steampowered.com/vr/ you can see on the right side the selections, Oculus Quest 2 isn't even listed. When you click a random game, ie

Yeah I tried the 3 settings of IPD. That doesn't upscale the resolution unfortunately :cry:

https://uploadvr.com/how-to-play-pc-vr-oculus-quest-2/

That should cover everything.

I recommend VD myself, it's much more intuitive to control, customize and do everything that AirLink does, the UI for Air Link is stupid and bothersome, plus it automatically turns off if you don't use it for 24 hours.

Everything works with the Quest 2 with cable or AirLink, which basically makes apps see it as an Oculus Rift CV1 or Rift S. There are a few applications where VD won't work but they are limited and can usually be worked around. And it's a third party app developped by one guy so that's completely fair.

Generally speaking SteamVR/OpenVR works with every VR device possible, it's only Oculus exclusives that require some hacks to work with non Oculus devices, not the other way around. I don't spend money on the Oculus store for that reason because I'm willing to switch if the competition can offer me a device that suits me better. I buy almost all my VR games through Steam.

And the resolution while suffering from video compression to some extent (careful with AMD GPUs as their encoder sucks compared to nvidia, which makes the Quest look worse and feel laggier than it should) is one of the best on the market. If you have never used a VR device before though yeah we are still far from having sharp visuals.

Last edited:
I downloaded SteamVR and have Subnautica in my games list on Steam. When I connect the Quest 2 via the Link cable to my PC, SteamVR just says "please plug in your VR headset" and nothing else happens =/ (The Oculus program is installed and configured already and shows the Quest 2 as green and connected/active in the GUI).

If I still go ahead and launch Subnautica in VR mode, all I get is sound going to the Quest, but no game displays or anything

Did you keep the Oculus app running before firing up SteamVR? It needs to be constantly opened while in VR nowadays.

Last edited:
I downloaded SteamVR and have Subnautica in my games list on Steam. When I connect the Quest 2 via the Link cable to my PC, SteamVR just says "please plug in your VR headset" and nothing else happens =/ (The Oculus program is installed and configured already and shows the Quest 2 as green and connected/active in the GUI).

If I still go ahead and launch Subnautica in VR mode, all I get is sound going to the Quest, but no game displays or anything

You launch the game via the Quest, not via Steam.

As long as the Oculus app is running you can also launch games via Steam just fine (I always do that). It loads SteamVR and then the game automatically for me.

Basically when I want to play VR I open the Oculus app and put my headset on and then use the built-in virtual desktop to access my Steam, Origin etc.

The Oculus app is running, still the same =/ and I don't know how to launch a game from within the Quest, when I go into the Oculus Link thing in the Quest dashboard on the headset, no games show up or anything (I guess because it can't interface with Steam via SteamVR in the first place)

Capture.JPG

You have to choose desktop from the overlay menu and then just use the controllers to control your PC and launch it from there.

VR takes some getting used to because it isn't integrated into Windows yet. Once you get the hang of it, it will be easy enough though.

If you think the Oculus is low res, then do not go buy any other VR head set. VR is cool, but not there yet if you only want to read small text. Playing PCVR games should take away most of that complaint though. The real issue is mostly with text and high contrast.

Are you using Link or Air Link? Even if the device show up, I remember you still need to "pair" them. When you connect the USB C cable, don't allow storage access in the Q2. That'll then prompt you to pair Link IIRC.

The Oculus app is running, still the same =/ and I don't know how to launch a game from within the Quest, when I go into the Oculus Link thing in the Quest dashboard on the headset, no games show up or anything (I guess because it can't interface with Steam via SteamVR in the first place)

View attachment 396950

This is how it should go, you open Oculus Rift software first.

Then you put on Oculus Quest and turn on the Link (it should ask you about this unless you have clicked "never show again"). Then it kicks you out if the Quest and you should see the Rift's home screen/dash board. This is the dashboard every old Oculus Rift / Rift S users see.

Then you can take the headset off and turn on SteamVR from Steam. Then put the headset back on. After few seconds it should kick you out of the Rift dashboard and you should see Steam's dashboard.

After the first succesful launch of SteamVR it should be added to your Oculus Rift Library. From this point forward you do not have to take the headset off and you can turn on SteamVR from Rift software directly whenever you want to play Steam games.

This is how it should go, you open Oculus Rift software first.

Then you put on Oculus Quest and turn on the Link (it should ask you about this unless you have clicked "never show again"). Then it kicks you out if the Quest and you should see the Rift's home screen/dash board. This is the dashboard every old Oculus Rift / Rift S users see.

Then you can take the headset off and turn on SteamVR from Steam. Then put the headset back on. After few seconds it should kick you out of the Rift dashboard and you should see Steam's dashboard.

After the first succesful launch of SteamVR it should be added to your Oculus Rift Library. From this point forward you do not have to take the headset off and you can turn on SteamVR from Rift software directly whenever you want to play Steam games.
That's the order I did the steps too but SteamVR still won't detect the headset, hmm

It's through the official Link cable. I'll try uninstalling the Oculus software and SteamVR and reinstalling both I suppose

Got it to work, it was kind of PEBKAC - turned out I was launching SteamVR before going into the Oculus Rift mode inside the VR headset. Not intuitive since nothing warns you this has to be done first but it's working now! Would not have gotten it to work without MaZa instructions

Does motion sickness get better with time?

Got it to work, it was kind of PEBKAC - turned out I was launching SteamVR before going into the Oculus Rift mode inside the VR headset. Not intuitive since nothing warns you this has to be done first but it's working now! Would not have gotten it to work without MaZa instructions

As you play more frequently I think it does, but don't try to just power through one session when you're feeling sick, it will just make it much worse, it's better to just take a break right away.
There are a lot of things you can do to help with VR motion sickness and prevent it, if you search on youtube there are a some good videos on it. Eating some ginger before you play can help a lot, or something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFXGCXG/

The game you're playing will matter a lot too. The most sickness inducing are games where you're being unnaturally moved around without physically moving. For example using a joystick to spin and strafe can be a lot more nauseating than simply spinning around IRL and the teleporting that a lot of games do. The Quest 2 store has some sort of ratings for this if you play any of the standalone games.

Also make sure you don't turn off the lights while you play. The Quest 2's tracking is a bunch of cameras, the better the lighting the better they can track, and if the tracking is bad it will make motion sickness worse.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

It depends heavily on the game. I find that view panning in some games cause heavy motion sickness right away, while most games are fine. You will certainly get "used" to it, but getting sick is still possible even after 100s hours. I recommend (if you have space) to basically not use panning at all, but turn your body instead.

I did not feel motion sick while moving, though some people do. Move your arms help I think.

As you play more frequently I think it does, but don't try to just power through one session when you're feeling sick, it will just make it much worse, it's better to just take a break right away.
There are a lot of things you can do to help with VR motion sickness and prevent it, if you search on youtube there are a some good videos on it. Eating some ginger before you play can help a lot, or something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFXGCXG/

The game you're playing will matter a lot too. The most sickness inducing are games where you're being unnaturally moved around without physically moving. For example using a joystick to spin and strafe can be a lot more nauseating than simply spinning around IRL and the teleporting that a lot of games do. The Quest 2 store has some sort of ratings for this if you play any of the standalone games.

Also make sure you don't turn off the lights while you play. The Quest 2's tracking is a bunch of cameras, the better the lighting the better they can track, and if the tracking is bad it will make motion sickness worse.

Q2 uses infrared to track, so if you want to play in the dark, you need to use infrared illuminators.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back