Nvidia will add anti-mining flags to the rest of its RTX 3000 GPU series going forward

This is a slippery slope... Graphics card are more than just "gaming card" because nvidia (and the industry) design it that way (GPGPU, anyone?).

Now the question is, will LHR cards also have reduced performance when doing tasks similar to mining? Folding@Home, password cracking, encoding, data simulation etc...?
not likely. It specifically looks for etherium mining software IIRC.

Right, and cards that have reduced mining performance should cost less than cards that do not.
And they having mining cards. They’ve had mining cards since Pascal, two whole generations ago. They’ve closed a loophole in their product segmentation. And they’ve further segmented the mining cards with no video outputs.

Exactly how you going to add the additional reinforcement to the tires to get the payload and or speed rating up?

That's taking the metaphor too far. These restrictions, like the tires on a car, can be removed. Artificial bottlenecks on general purpose hardware is a bad idea, particularly if there isn't a clear way to remove them.

Justifying it arbitrarily doesn't help. Some people are saying that these restrictions should make the cards cheaper, but if AMD or Nvidia did control the pricing, that would be illegal. This won't have an effect.

But it does make Nvidia fans happy. You think that might be the reason why? Especially when there's no sign that Nvidia is making miners choose their mining-specific hardware, same goes for their partners, and no sign that they all aren't still just going to contract sales to miners for whatever hardware they request (which isn't going to be mining-specific hardware).

This only hobbles the hobbyists and enthusiasts. There isn't a good thing about it.

That's taking the metaphor too far. These restrictions, like the tires on a car, can be removed. Artificial bottlenecks on general purpose hardware is a bad idea, particularly if there isn't a clear way to remove them.

Justifying it arbitrarily doesn't help. Some people are saying that these restrictions should make the cards cheaper, but if AMD or Nvidia did control the pricing, that would be illegal. This won't have an effect.

But it does make Nvidia fans happy. You think that might be the reason why? Especially when there's no sign that Nvidia is making miners choose their mining-specific hardware, same goes for their partners, and no sign that they all aren't still just going to contract sales to miners for whatever hardware they request (which isn't going to be mining-specific hardware).

This only hobbles the hobbyists and enthusiasts. There isn't a good thing about it.
I agree it is a bad idea, but the least they can do is set a lower MSRP for these cards. There is nothing illegal about that.

This is one of the dumbest things ever. Glad I got my 3090 back in November, it will be worth even more when it's time to resell...

For reference I did not buy my card for mining (I needed HDMI 2.1) but was a fool for not doing it while idle. I got tired of the hassle from my older mining days but on my main PC it's relatively hassle free and in just the last month it made a decent amount of money.. Could have paid for the card if I started earlier but ahh well.

How can they charge the same MSRP for a product with less functionality?

He never mentioned the 3080 Ti, will that have a LHR version or not?
On the flipside, how can you charge three times the price for the same functionality?

I don't think its going to matter much in terms of availability, I foresee miners buying even more of them to make up what the halved hash rate is. Probably all part of Nvidia's plans to sell even more cards than they are now.

Nvidia now will have two hot markets for the same product.

I don't think its going to matter much in terms of availability, I foresee miners buying even more of them to make up what the halved hash rate is. Probably all part of Nvidia's plans to sell even more cards than they are now.

Nvidia now will have two hot markets for the same product.

Nvidia never addressed the real problem...the scalpers. LHR cards are going to get scalped just as easily as the non LHR cards.

Nvidia never addressed the real problem...the scalpers. LHR cards are going to get scalped just as easily as the non LHR cards.
Yep. Nvidia from a business standpoint doesn't need to. When your products can't stay on store shelves, you don't need to do anything but sit back and count the money.

Yep. Nvidia from a business standpoint doesn't need to. When your products can't stay on store shelves, you don't need to do anything but sit back and count the money.
Yes. LHR has nothing to do with gamers and everything to protect Nvidia profits in the future away from the same dumping that happened last crypto crash.

Right, and cards that have reduced mining performance should cost less than cards that do not.
Why?

the LHR hardware chip they put on the cards - with otherwise identical parts and performance would indicate the LHR gaming cards actually cost Nvidia more to create.

Not to mention the CMP mining cards have less warranty length which is another cost savings Nvidia will enjoy.

So why should should gaming cards be cheaper when they actually cost more to produce, and have longer warranties?

Why?

the LHR hardware chip they put on the cards - with otherwise identical parts and performance would indicate the LHR gaming cards actually cost Nvidia more to create.

Not to mention the CMP mining cards have less warranty length which is another cost savings Nvidia will enjoy.

So why should should gaming cards be cheaper when they actually cost more to produce, and have longer warranties?
Because they do less than their non LHR versions and because of that will have a lower resale value.

Because they do less than their non LHR versions and because of that will have a lower resale value.
We don't yet know if LHR cards offer the same 3D performance yet. I'm sure there will be multiple reviews showing comparisons when they launch. Stands to reason though that they should seeing how they are the same hardware.

We don't yet know if LHR cards offer the same 3D performance yet. I'm sure there will be multiple reviews showing comparisons when they launch. Stands to reason though that they should seeing how they are the same hardware.
By 'do less' I mean that their mining ability is lower. The owner of an LHR card can do less with it, such as making back the cost of the card by mining ETH when he isn't gaming.

By 'do less' I mean that their mining ability is lower. The owner of an LHR card can do less with it, such as making back the cost of the card by mining ETH when he isn't gaming.
Oh, well they're not designed for that so it doesn't matter.

Yes, otherwise they wouldn't need additional hardware to limit their mining potential. They are GPGPUs built on capable mining parts.
So they are made for mining but they're limited in their mining potential? That doesn't make any sense. I'll go home tonight and look at my 2070 box and see if they advertise mining, I'm pretty certain I don't recall seeing any advertisement.

Nvidia does make mining cards, https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/cmp/ though. Can't really call it a "G"PU though, since there is not video out.

Brian,at TechYesCity has on at least 3 occasions,has shown how the true middle men,such as IngramMicro,etc,are selling RTX 3K cards in huge bulk sales to miners at insane markups. That is a much bigger issue then what nVIDIA is talking up in the LHR card relaunch. Nv must know huge swaths of cards are being sold long before they can reach the hands of Newegg/CanadaComputes/BestBuy/MicroCenter,etc... I dont see the LHR cards making a dent in the supply issue,its just smoke and mirrors for those who cant think critically.

It's all BS. I refuse to buy a crippled card for the same price! I just took myself out of the waiting list!
There are a lot of ways they can implement to prevent cards from getting into miners hand but they are just taking the cheap easy way out.

It's all BS. I refuse to buy a crippled card for the same price! I just took myself out of the waiting list!
There are a lot of ways they can implement to prevent cards from getting into miners hand but they are just taking the cheap easy way out.
What's crippled? The card functions exactly to its intended purpose, to render video graphics.

Of course Nvidia is taking the path of least resistance, that's why they offloaded all the responsibility of selling their FE cards to Best Buy.

But I agree, it is Bullshit.

Fantastic! One less person also trying to buy a card.

I also have not seen any reviews where the LHR cards produce less FPS, so I don’t see anything crippled there.

as for mining on a card, go buy a CMP?

but then they cant bend over someone on a resale after theyve made all their free money...
That's really the argument I see, people being mad that they can't resale the card because it can't mine as efficiently. Get over it, these a graphics cards, designed for one purpose, to render graphics. Like you said, want to mine, buy a more effective card like a CMP.

Yep, with the LHR cards 3060/3070Ti/3080Ti, they are now plentiful on the shelves ready for the gamers to buy. Wait, huh??? They are as scarce, wait some more, no! more scarcer then before! Why is that? Because now Miners have a choice of either CMP card or Gaming cards or both while gamers have a smaller pool of gaming abled cards. CMP cards are taking away GPUs that gamers could potentially buy. Nvidia actually helped the miners out more than the gamers. Making cards that gamers will not buy since useless for gaming while allowing miners still able to buy gaming cards. Duh. If this was not so sad it might even be funny.

Yep, with the LHR cards 3060/3070Ti/3080Ti, they are now plentiful on the shelves ready for the gamers to buy. Wait, huh??? They are as scarce, wait some more, no! more scarcer then before! Why is that? Because now Miners have a choice of either CMP card or Gaming cards or both while gamers have a smaller pool of gaming abled cards. CMP cards are taking away GPUs that gamers could potentially buy. Nvidia actually helped the miners out more than the gamers. Making cards that gamers will not buy since useless for gaming while allowing miners still able to buy gaming cards. Duh. If this was not so sad it might even be funny.
I’ve actually seen 3080tis on the shelf at microcenter 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have not seen a single 3080 or 3090 in that time, so I’m going to go ahead and say that LHR has helped.

I’ve actually seen 3080tis on the shelf at microcenter 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have not seen a single 3080 or 3090 in that time, so I’m going to go ahead and say that LHR has helped.
What were the prices on those 3080Tis? So no 3060s, 3070s 3070Tis, 3080s, 3090s and two times you saw 3080Tis and you think LHR has helped. Ok there.

What were the prices on those 3080Tis? So no 3060s, 3070s 3070Tis, 3080s, 3090s and two times you saw 3080Tis and you think LHR has helped. Ok there.
1899 asus Tuf, and 1799 for a gigabyte (?).

3060s and 3090s come and go - the 3060s aren’t any better than my 1080ti so it’s not really something I look for. Passed on an evga one for 399 a month or so ago. 3090s are usually over 2k - passed on a SUPRIM in Jan and again in Feb because i wanted something I could throw an Optimus block in. That was a mistake.

never have seen a 3070 or 3080 unless you buy a prebuilt. One assumes the miners get all of those.

1899 asus Tuf, and 1799 for a gigabyte (?).

3060s and 3090s come and go - the 3060s aren’t any better than my 1080ti so it’s not really something I look for. Passed on an evga one for 399 a month or so ago. 3090s are usually over 2k - passed on a SUPRIM in Jan and again in Feb because i wanted something I could throw an Optimus block in. That was a mistake.

never have seen a 3070 or 3080 unless you buy a prebuilt. One assumes the miners get all of those.
Well that is better than Newegg,

If one is willing to pay scalper prices then all cards have been pretty much available for awhile. I just don't see 1.7x - 3x over MSRP as really being available

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709 601357282 4131

Cheapest available 3070Ti is $1244, 3070 - $1399, 3080 - $2099, 3080Ti - $2029, 3090 - $3292 Note: zero 3060's available

Well that is better than Newegg,

If one is willing to pay scalper prices then all cards have been pretty much available for awhile. I just don't see 1.7x - 3x over MSRP as really being available

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709 601357282 4131

Cheapest available 3070Ti is $1244, 3070 - $1399, 3080 - $2099, 3080Ti - $2029, 3090 - $3292 Note: zero 3060's available

You can buy them cheaper on ebay. Market is going to drop dramatically in the next month. One exception is the rtx 3080ti.

That's really the argument I see, people being mad that they can't resale the card because it can't mine as efficiently. Get over it, these a graphics cards, designed for one purpose, to render graphics. Like you said, want to mine, buy a more effective card like a CMP.

I support the whole Nvidia crippling mining as I don't think Nvidia envisioned 20 years ago that their GPUs would eventually be used to make money by mining.

However, GPUs are not designed for one purpose. As a professional data scientist, I take offense to that statement!!! The 3090 rtx is definitely marketed towards data science or scientific computing applications. These applications perform similar tasks to mining.

I am curious to know if this mining limitation will affect data science applications though.

I support the whole Nvidia crippling mining as I don't think Nvidia envisioned 20 years ago that their GPUs would eventually be used to make money by mining.

However, GPUs are not designed for one purpose. As a professional data scientist, I take offense to that statement!!! The 3090 rtx is definitely marketed towards data science or scientific computing applications. These applications perform similar tasks to mining.

I am curious to know if this mining limitation will affect data science applications though.

People have tested the existing nerfed cards and it didn't make a difference.

Back