NVIDIA Unveils The Titan X At GDC 2015

Unfortunately the box underneath the imaged Titan X does say gamers.

Even the Titan Z was marketed towards gamers. Remember the press announcement how they sold it to Professional Developers, then the first PR video on their own YouTube channel was 3/4 towards gaming and 1/4 towards professionals.

Comments lit up like a Christmas tree as if people somehow can't remember things they learned from 24 hours ago.

It blows my mind when people say the Titan cards aren't marketed towards gamers. Like they have ever announced a Quadro type card at a damn gaming event.

-B838A732D6C5AC22C5CE835CECE0FAD93AAF92E8A1AB675E5C-pimgpsh_fullsize_distr_w_600.jpg

The writing is on the wall; or the box in this occasion.

The CEO of nVidia HIMSELF brought it out to state that it is THE gaming card powerful enough to run the GAME that was the focus of the presentation. Titan is for gaming. End of story.

The CEO of nVidia HIMSELF brought it out to state that it is THE gaming card powerful enough to run the GAME that was the focus of the presentation. Titan is for gaming. End of story.

Yup Titan X is a gaming card, no doubt about it. And since double precision doesn't appear to be a focus for GM200, it's even more so than it's predecessors. This will be the top dog in the GeForce/Titan gaming family for the next 4-5 months minimum (assuming a March release) if not until Pascal's release in 2016.

I know people are complaining about the price but then why are some paying $1000+ for 5960x's? Those arguably bring even less value than a Titan does to a gamer's life since hardly anything out there utilizes 8 cores. At least with a Titan, you will be using all the cores the day you get the GPU, can't really say that about an overpriced Intel CPU. These GPUs tend to be more complex than Intel CPUs as well. It's not unreasonable to assume a top tier product like this could approach and/or exceed $999.

Last edited:
I mentioned it in another thread, but the PCs running the Unreal tech demos at GDC are all running Titan Xs, and managed to check out the memory bus, the core count and memory frequency in Nvidia system info.

It's a lot more powerful than the 980.

Last edited:
Yup Titan X is a gaming card, no doubt about it. And since double precision doesn't appear to be a focus for GM200, it's even more so than it's predecessors. This will be the top dog in the GeForce/Titan gaming family for the next 4-5 months minimum (assuming a March release) if not until Pascal's release in 2016.

I know people are complaining about the price but then why are some paying $1000+ for 5960x's? Those arguably bring even less value than a Titan does to a gamer's life since hardly anything out there utilizes 8 cores. At least with a Titan, you will be using all the cores the day you get the GPU, can't really say that about an overpriced Intel CPU. These GPUs tend to be more complex than Intel CPUs as well. It's not unreasonable to assume a top tier product like this could approach and/or exceed $999.

^This is I think the best post made in this thread.. buying a 5960X for gaming its a nonsense when a 4790K will make a better job.. and this later its a 300$ chip vs a 1000$ one.. TITAN its a gaming card and all who have the money will just buy it as A LOT of people do with the 5960X..

It blows my mind when people say the Titan cards aren't marketed towards gamers. Like they have ever announced a Quadro type card at a damn gaming event.

-B838A732D6C5AC22C5CE835CECE0FAD93AAF92E8A1AB675E5C-pimgpsh_fullsize_distr_w_600.jpg

The writing is on the wall; or the box in this occasion.

They announced the original Titan at GTC which is a HPC/CUDA conference.

Agreed with previous posts, as the GPU equivalent of an Intel Extreme Edition CPU is a good way of thinking of the Titan line. Still, I feel like the ratio of professional users vs gamerdude at home is higher with Titans than with 980 and below. I know game developers like Titan because of the big VRAM.

Gamers aren't the target market of the Titan cards.

Apparently, NVidia themselves have not yet received that memo, considering they announced the card at GDC, which coincidently, stands for Game Developers Conference.

What I was told was accurate regarding the 960 release.

There will be a Titan X, a Titan, and 980 Ti coming soon. So whatever you want to believe go for it and continue to be a douche. I am not an insider, just have a friend that works for Nvidia that does a lot of work preparing product launches on the marketing end.

Got an update Titan X will be $999

I am still saving money to buy the first GTX Titan!

Come on nVidia, most gamers can't drop a grand every year on a new graphics card!

It's actually been over two years now!

Edit : If this card is actually slower than Titan with DP, I don't know what to say...

Impossible to believe the TiX monster chip does not have fully blown double precision, this chip must be also aiming for professional number crunching cards. It is very likely double precision is fully enabled in the TiX or, less likely for me, it is there but disabled. But of much interest is also powerful single precision (keywords: GPU machine learning). If anything, 12 gig vram points to the numerical computations support.

$999 for TiX sounds reasonable in particular if there is DP 1.3 and full numerical computations support.

I'd prefer Titan X to be a purely gaming card. Don't give a shit about DP so if they cut that out, all the better. Get a quadro if you want DP.

I'd prefer Titan X to be a purely gaming card. Don't give a shit about DP so if they cut that out, all the better. Get a quadro if you want DP.

Meh, DP is more important to Teslas than Quadros.
Quadros are mainly about the software stack.

With HDCP 2.2 on HDMI 2.0, if you dont have DP, you wont get 4:4:4 colour on 4K displays.

Point is that from the company perspective it does not make sense to make separate Titan and Quadro chips. Offering DP on Titan expands potential user base by nice margin, more and more people are on the GPU computation side. Quadro is different segment of high-end professional work with prices x4.

Resistance to DP probably comes from thinking that DP takes huge resources on the chip and without it gaming performance would increase N times. This is not true, there is really no difference if one is not fixated on a couple of percents.

Point is that from the company perspective it does not make sense to make separate Titan and Quadro chips. Offering DP on Titan expands potential user base by nice margin, more and more people are on the GPU computation side. Quadro is different segment of high-end professional work with prices x4.

Resistance to DP probably comes from thinking that DP takes huge resources on the chip and without it gaming performance would increase N times. This is not true, there is really no difference if one is not fixated on a couple of percents.

But Titan was marketed as a gaming card, not a compute card. DP made no difference at all to gamers who bought Titan.

Maybe 01% cared that it had DP, otherwise it was a gaming card.

The really crappy thing with Quadros is that NVidia lets only a few select OEM workstation systems run them in SLi. With Titan, we get the best of both worlds...large VRAM, unthrottled DP and SLi.

Why some people complain about getting more functionality is beyond me...:rolleyes:

What I want is a company's best product, in a fully unadulterated form. At least NVidia is offering their best product in the form of Titan X. Intel needs to take notes and offer their best CPU in a similar form for a premium price...and the current Extreme Edition isn't what I'm talking about...;)

One of the reasons I believe Nvidia may gimp DP for Titan X is because the original Titans are capable of running DP at 1200mhz. I do this on my Titans. They shit all over the K20x GPUs I've had available to use at work. It's like a generational gap in performance between them because the K20 and K20x GPUs are limited to 758mhz max.

I hope they don't though. Because if they do, Titan X could actually be slower in my CUDA work than my Titans.

Apparently, NVidia themselves have not yet received that memo, considering they announced the card at GDC, which coincidently, stands for Game Developers Conference.

Yep. And? Which other similar high-level events occur in the academic computing industry? What forum would have been more appropriate?

When I update drivers on an AMD Radeon HD 5450 and see ads for games during the Catalyst installation process, does that mean AMD intends me to play games on the 5450? Or are they simply taking advantage of a large captive audience to deliver a marketing message? Probably the latter. Same with Nvidia announcing the new Titan at GDC.

The original Titan's biggest fans came from the high end non-gaming workstation segment, where the four digit price tag was seen as cheap, especially since its performance was damn near as good as $2500 cards. That's what Titan is for.

And if Nvidia can make some high margin profits off gamers who are gullible enough to buy a Titan instead of a 980, then they're quite happy with that and don't really care what you think the card is for.

Yep. And? Which other similar high-level events occur in the academic computing industry? What forum would have been more appropriate?

When I update drivers on an AMD Radeon HD 5450 and see ads for games during the Catalyst installation process, does that mean AMD intends me to play games on the 5450? Or are they simply taking advantage of a large captive audience to deliver a marketing message? Probably the latter. Same with Nvidia announcing the new Titan at GDC.

The original Titan's biggest fans came from the high end non-gaming workstation segment, where the four digit price tag was seen as cheap, especially since its performance was damn near as good as $2500 cards. That's what Titan is for.

And if Nvidia can make some high margin profits off gamers who are gullible enough to buy a Titan instead of a 980, then they're quite happy with that and don't really care what you think the card is for.

If I have to explain "and" do you then this conversation should end here. In addition to being announced at GDC, the writing is on the box itself. You're wrong that it isn't targeting gamers. Period.

From what it looks to me this is gonna pan out just like it with 680->780. This card will be the full 12gb 1k+ and will sell like hot cakes. amd later releases the 390x which is faster and cheaper. Nvidia will then sell a cutdown 6gb version of this card for half the price to compete. May or may not see a ti flagship in this case. I can't wait because 6gb is really all I need. I don't see new games requiring more than that this year, at least I hope not.

I put the original Titan ACX cooler from eVGA on my GTX 780 (it fits the same) because I don't like the "designed to throttle" premise of the stock cooler. Hopefully eVGA comes out with an after-market ACX 2.0 cooler for Titan X too.

The current Titan cards are listed on NVIDIA's website with the 700 series gaming cards NOT with their Quadro cards.

It blows my mind that some people think that the majority of Titan sales were not people using them for gaming.

Just because it may have the capability to be used as a "professional" solution doesn't detract from its intended target market. I used to game with a Quadro4 980 (NV28). Certainly didn't make it a consumer gaming segment product. Oh wait, the twisted logic of all the naysayers here states that it is just because I used it as such... :fuckingduh:

Oh gawd, can we just not. We have plenty of other threads to continue that fun!

Then feel free to go debate it in those other threads. Words straight from the CEO's mouth during the GAME Developer's Conference is that the Titan X is a gaming card. It's written on the box. (JFC - how many times does this need to be stated?)

Then feel free to go debate it in those other threads. Words straight from the CEO's mouth during the GAME Developer's Conference is that the Titan X is a gaming card. It's written on the box. (JFC - how many times does this need to be stated?)

I'm not interested in that discussion at all, and wish others would stop derailing every Titan-related thread with "but is it a gaming card". (Hint, I have one in my PC.)

Of course, there isn't much else to discuss without more details.

i don't see what everyone is arguing about. look at the product descriptions directly from nvidia. they are clearly marketed toward gaming-with the ability to do DP work. it's a niche product, designed and marketed to make nvidia more money. have the cash to buy one? awesome. don't have the cash (or care to spend it)? awesome. wait for the other cards. fuck sake.

I'm not interested in that discussion at all, and wish others would stop derailing every Titan-related thread with "but is it a gaming card". (Hint, I have one in my PC.)

Of course, there isn't much else to discuss without more details.

OK, well then let's all ignore what's written on NVidia's own website:

Titan said:
GeForce GTX TITAN

With the DNA of the world’s fastest supercomputer and the soul of NVIDIA® Kepler™ architecture, GeForce® GTX TITAN GPU is a revolution in PC gaming performance

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan

Titan Black said:
GeForce GTX TITAN Black

GeForce GTX TITAN Black is a masterpiece of engineering. Starting with the award-winning GTX TITAN, the Black edition adds 6 GB of frame buffer memory, spectacular performance, double precision and amazing thermals and acoustics. GTX TITAN Black is the ultimate gaming GPU for a pure gaming experience—the perfect balance of sleek design, uncompromising performance, and state-of-the-art technologies.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-black

Titan Z said:
GeForce GTX TITAN Z

GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Z is a gaming monster, the fastest graphics card we’ve built to power the most extreme PC gaming rigs on the planet. Stacked with 5760 cores and 12 GB of memory, this dual GPU gives you the power to drive even the most insane multi-monitor displays and 4K hyper PC machines.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-z

Are we fucking done now?

Words straight from the CEO's mouth during the GAME Developer's Conference is that the Titan X is a gaming card. It's written on the box.

Maybe "The Titan X is a gaming card" means it will also "feature" gimped compute performance like other nvidia gaming cards lol..

The really crappy thing with Quadros is that NVidia lets only a few select OEM workstation systems run them in SLi. With Titan, we get the best of both worlds...large VRAM, unthrottled DP and SLi.

Why some people complain about getting more functionality is beyond me...:rolleyes:

What I want is a company's best product, in a fully unadulterated form. At least NVidia is offering their best product in the form of Titan X. Intel needs to take notes and offer their best CPU in a similar form for a premium price...and the current Extreme Edition isn't what I'm talking about...;)

DP is waste of transistors budget for any gaming card.

IMO, top-end GPUs should only have VGA and really fast (800MHz+) RAMDACs. LCD users can should go buy lower-end GPUs.

Why is it so hard for people to imagine that the Titan might actually be used for both. The titan IMO is best described as a prosumer product. Its suppose to be a high end gaming card and a pretty good compute card as well. If you don't like it wait around till a 980ti or whatever comes out. But I think its safe to assume that the next gen high end cards from NVidia, ie the 1080 is going to essentially be another titan like GPU. here is the thing NVidia is only going to make 2 main chips, pro chip and gaming chip. If their current high end product has the pro chip why wouldn't you ant it mostly unlocked? You want them to just arbitrarily burn out all the compute units?

Titan is an attempt to give gamers a high priced but unleashed pro card. And ultimately for some period here until we see what AMD performance is like the titan X is likely to be the top performing card regardless of how much compute it has.

Back