NVIDIA Unveils The Titan X At GDC 2015

I think Samsung would buy AMD out before AMD went under and that would be trouble for Nvidia because Samsung can make the hardware for cheaper since they manufacturer their own chips and memory. Nvidia needs to outsource. So I think Nvidia wants to keep AMD around.
Samsung won't buy AMD since they won't get the x86 cross license and AMD offers very little in terms of any sort of profit or IP worth buying. Intel would never agree to a new cross license with what could be a huge competitor/thorn in their side since Sammy has the capital to maybe make AMD competitive again in CPU's. I doubt Samsung would buy AMD and scrap the x86/x64 cpu product lines.

Whoever buys/invests in AMD, if anyone, will have to keep their interest below 50% for Intel to not yank the x86 license.

What AMD needs is an investor, not buyer, to give them the influx of cash desperately needed and push them to get actual management.

With regard to Titan X I am curious what it can do and what kind of response AMD gives.

that's cool. you're more than entitled to that opinion. i've been sitting on this 780ti just waiting for the next 'big card' so i'm ready to throw money at something.

fact is, you'll never be able to buy a card and feel good about it forever.

Maybe not for using it for new games. But for retro games, I am pretty sure I will be happy with my Voodoo 5 5500 for forever.

8 billion transistors sounds impressive but I did a little quick googling and 780Ti is already 7.1 billion transistors and R 9 290X is 6.4 billion.

In other words this thing has only like 13% more transistors than Nvidia's last flagship. Which is to be expected as it's still on 28nm and Nvidia has reached the size limit there.

So yeah AMD's next big chip has more room to grow on 28nm, relatively. Because AMD is farther from the reticule size limit. Probably an opportunity for AMD to further close the performance gap, if any remains.

8 billion transistors sounds impressive but I did a little quick googling and 780Ti is already 7.1 billion transistors and R 9 290X is 6.4 billion.

In other words this thing has only like 13% more transistors than Nvidia's last flagship. Which is to be expected as it's still on 28nm and Nvidia has reached the size limit there.

So yeah AMD's next big chip has more room to grow on 28nm, relatively. Because AMD is farther from the reticule size limit. Probably an opportunity for AMD to further close the performance gap, if any remains.

980 itself has less transistors than 780ti.

If that price is right (some posts back), then I suspect the card will stick to the "pro" market a bit more this time.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-strategy-Total_War_ATTILA-test-attila_1920.jpg

We need GM200 for that 60fps.

nVidia's a few screws loose (or in this case, missing).

nVidia: quit screwing around!

If only they have screws that were fastened the wrong way round....

"Do you know how nVidia screws their GPUs?"
"Both ways!"

I am out of jokes already..

on a more serious note, looking at the PCB and the fan placement and comparing that to Titan Z, it looks like Titan X is undoubtedly single GPU.

I'm really excited for both 390x and Titan X, who said 12GB of VRAM was overkill? Modern games then to chew up more than 4GB and soon 6GB isn't even going to be enough properly by the end of the year with more games coming out that requires more VRAM.

The only speck on this beuty is the DVI connector. Why the hell they still put it???

Without the DVI it would be easy to make single slot watercooled Titan X and very compact 4-Way SLI :D.

BTW, is also a dual GPU Titan XX inevitable in the future???

980's price is anything but IMHO. But I was comparing Titan X's assumed price of $1000 to SLI 980's. At that price, if Titan X is indeed 40~50% more powerful than a single 980, then Titan X would be IMO a better buy than SLI 980's due to the massive VRAM and I generally treat SLI scaling to be around 50% when comparing single GPU to SLI configurations. Plus two Titans in SLI would probably scale better than Quad SLI'ing 980's together compared to 2x SLI.

Take this with sea of salt, since it is entirely assumptions regarding Titan X.
I could go with that for 4K.
Although I know I'd end up wanting 2 of them lol.
This is why I'm still on 1080p with an affordable card that kicks ass at this res.

so pinocchio talks again.
Noose got longer?

LMAO. I know that's a typo but still works quite well.

The only speck on this beuty is the DVI connector. Why the hell they still put it???

Without the DVI it would be easy to make single slot watercooled Titan X and very compact 4-Way SLI :D.

BTW, is also a dual GPU Titan XX inevitable in the future???

I noticed they gouged the shroud pretty good with a screwdriver.
The DVI connector for all the 1440p screens with no scaler/multi-input board.
They can still have a single slot watercooled version. I'm sure EVGA will be on that in a heartbeat.

the people that bought the earlier Titan cards were disappointed when Nvidia released a cheaper non-Titan but excellent performing card a few weeks/months later...what will be any different this time?...wait for the 980 Ti which will be close to Titan X's performance with less VRAM

I was one of those guys.

I picked up an EVGA factory super clocked Titan as soon as newegg had them. It was the best of the best for all of a few months (I'm a gamer) and then the GTX 780s started showing up which pretty much equalled the Titan's FPS at any game. Then the 780Ti came out shortly afterward which actually beat the Titan in nearly all games. The had to release a Titan Black to equal the 780Tis performance, at a much higher price.

So Im kind of wondering if we will see the same thing again here. I'd buy one of these things if its the same price or less that the original Titans sold for (I paid approx 1300 USD for mine). However, I'd almost count on a xxxTi coming out 4 months later which beats it, in games, that is.

Wonder how the Titan will stack up against 2 x current 980s in SLI too...

Why is everyone calling the 980TI a TI model? Its not going to be based on the current chip, as was stated the current 980 is a full kit. So why do people continue to call it a 980TI that might possibly be released in the future?

Why is everyone calling the 980TI a TI model? Its not going to be based on the current chip, as was stated the current 980 is a full kit. So why do people continue to call it a 980TI that might possibly be released in the future?

The 780ti was based off the Titan chip IIRC. Both off the GK110 core. The 780ti had all cores unlocked where the Titan did not. Notice they said the Titan X is fully unlocked. I think they are trying to not screw over Titan users again. I think the 980ti will be slower this time.

Also to other posts. I doubt this is a dual GPU because it would be 10.4B transistors not 8.

I highly doubt the 390x will compete with this monster.
1.) the 390x would need ~60-75% increase over the 290x depending if the Titan X OCs like the 980s. I am assuming a 50% speed increase over the 980 due to the 52% more transistors. (Very basic perhaps ignorant assumption.) It's hard to imagine AMD pulling off that kind of increase but we shall see.
2.) for high end multi card users a major flaw of the 390x is the rumored to have only 4GB VRAM. It doesn't matter how fast it is, speed doesn't make it seem like it has more, once you run out you have to go over the PCIe bus which is relatively extremely slow.
3.) then there's the people that actually use DP performance, completely cards from that perspective.

Personally I think I'll wait for 980ti Classies.

Last edited:
In other words this thing has only like 13% more transistors than Nvidia's last flagship.

This is incorrect logic. Titan X chip has different architecture which is much more efficient than previous Titans, think about the GTX 980. Transistor count should be compared to the 5.2 bilion transistors of the GTX 980 chip. 8 billion transistors of the Titan X chip is thus a huge increase by 60% which leads to the conclusion the performance of Titan X should be at least 50% better than the GTX 980 - which is on par with the Titan Black. This may not be actually so high since GTX 980 has excellent overclocking which should not be expected to such an extent for the Titan X due to more heat production from the monster chip.

Dear lord he kept digging the hole deeper and deeper! :p

I found out NV fans have no sense of humor and are willing to pay an outrageous sums of money for a 10 fps increase...priceless!

Hey! It's MY 10fps! AND I WANT IT!

:D

The 780ti was based off the Titan chip IIRC. Both off the GK110 core. The 780ti had all cores unlocked where the Titan did not. Notice they said the Titan X is fully unlocked. I think they are trying to not screw over Titan users again. I think the 980ti will be slower this time.

I think the point he was trying to make is that the 780 and 780Ti were the same architecture.

The original Titan was released with GK110 when the 680 was the top card which was a different chip, and there was no 680Ti. They released a 780 three months later.

It is within reason that a 2xGM204 card is more likely than a cut-down GM200 based on the GTX690.

I think the point he was trying to make is that the 780 and 780Ti were the same architecture.

The original Titan was released with GK110 when the 680 was the top card which was a different chip, and there was no 680Ti. They released a 780 three months later.

It is within reason that a 2xGM204 card is more likely than a cut-down GM200 based on the GTX690.

The 770 was a different chip... where the 980/970 is the same chip. They already broke that tradition. They could do whatever they want and call it a 1080 or whatever, but with just launching the 900 series I'd be surprised if they rebranded everything.

I don't even know why people bring it up at all. I think we all know what is meant by "980ti", Titan X with a small amount deactivated and no DP. We could say "small GM200" or some nonsense but 980ti is easier and more fun to write.

If nothing demanding comes out I might try to wait even longer for 16nm, Skylake, DX12, 34" monitors to mature and rebuild my entire system then. My 980 does ok at 1200p right now...

Last edited:
The 770 was a different chip... where the 980/970 is the same chip. They already broke that tradition. They could do whatever they want and call it a 1080 or whatever, but with just launching the 900 series I'd be surprised if they rebranded everything.

Don't forget this 900 series is extremely similar to the 600 series. The 670 was a cut down of the 680 and so on, just like the 970 is to the 980. They haven't broken tradition yet at all, they are in the mists of repeating it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see new series come out for the GM200 chip.

So what is everyone's guesses on price? I think it's safe to assume we are looking at a minimum $1k for this card but some have speculated $1300.

I am going to say $2000 if not higher.

Samsung won't buy AMD since they won't get the x86 cross license and AMD offers very little in terms of any sort of profit or IP worth buying. Intel would never agree to a new cross license with what could be a huge competitor/thorn in their side since Sammy has the capital to maybe make AMD competitive again in CPU's. I doubt Samsung would buy AMD and scrap the x86/x64 cpu product lines.

Whoever buys/invests in AMD, if anyone, will have to keep their interest below 50% for Intel to not yank the x86 license.

What AMD needs is an investor, not buyer, to give them the influx of cash desperately needed and push them to get actual management.

With regard to Titan X I am curious what it can do and what kind of response AMD gives.

ummm

you are very aware that the x86 license is intels while the AMD64 is ...... AMD? Right?
That IP alone is worth a ton and Intel would not be that idiotic to let someone else scoop that up. Then Intel would be paying the new owners "new" licensing royalties for the AMD64 IP.

A waste.. for computer games. But then Titans are not really targeted at gamers. Think professional graphics and developers. Example, the Shadow of Mordor devs used Titans to run uncompressed textures while making the game, which they then scaled down per platform.

Then why create a Quadro product, call it part of the GTX product line, and then surprise the world with it by saying "I have the solution for running this GAME!" at a tech/demo conference for a game?

For devs...I see the allure. You get Quadro performance at a fraction of the price. But let's be honest here: nVidia created the Titan for consumers. It's a GTX Titan, not a Quadro Titan.

To me, that pic looks like the front of a computer.....a nice looking computer at that. We'll see about the card though. I feel like there's diminishing returns throwing 12gb memory on cards.

I kind of laughed about this right here. One might argue that, compared to the early days of silicon production, every subsequent process has been a matter of diminishing returns.

Still, the only people that really NEED this card will likely already own a K80 or a k6000. The people that will actually buy this will be gamers who will then be shamed by the fact the 980ti will outperform it in games for half the cost. But at least their benchmarks will be better.

I say all this with the caveat that I wouldn't kick a Titan X out of bed if I woke up next to one:)

Funny thing is that I bet the AMD 295 X2 will still give it a run for the money and at a much cheaper price tag.
I am an nVidia fan, but with these prices and the relatively poor performance compared to the much cheaper AMD's i'm not sure which way to turn anymore.

It's a very nice card (love the 12GB), but the DVI connector and the HDMI connector is a waste of time.

They should just give us 4x DisplayPort 1.2 and call it a day. Those who want a DVI or HDMI connector can use an adapter. One easily can convert a DisplayPort 1.2 to either a DVI or HDMI, but you can't go from HDMI or DVI to a DisplayPort 1.2.

That being said, from the pictures I found, I can see at least 2x DisplayPort 1.2 connectors, with sufficient space on the bottom of the mounting bracket for a third (can't see for sure though).

Hopefully, as others have said, card makers will produce a 4x DisplayPort 1.2 version that can be converted to a single slot WC version.

Funny thing is that I bet the AMD 295 X2 will still give it a run for the money and at a much cheaper price tag.
I am an nVidia fan, but with these prices and the relatively poor performance compared to the much cheaper AMD's i'm not sure which way to turn anymore.

The 295X2 will still be strong, but comparing a card that's water-cooled by default isn't an apples to apples comparison, IMHO. Best to compare a WC Titan X and then draw conclusions...;)

Yo, why no back plate? If it's gonna be $1000, I want a back plate.

F*** a backplate. I want a cool suitcase, and smoke with doves flying out when the case is opened! :D ....as well as a shine going across the card, but just that one time when the case opens.:p

F*** a backplate. I want a cool suitcase, and smoke with doves flying out when the case is opened! :D ....as well as a shine going across the card, but just that one time when the case opens.:p

+1 for above and for a halo product it should offer some extras. Backplate, shirt, mousepad, latest issue of Playboy.

+1 for above and for a halo product it should offer some extras. Backplate, shirt, mousepad, latest issue of Playboy.

I'd also love to see redemption codes for at least $50 credit at each of the "big 3" digital delivery game services: Steam, Uplay, and Origin. Let the buyer choose what games they want instead of being dictated which games they must get/pick from.

Back